Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
140 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 21 22 23 (24) 25 26 »

Re: HUGE GAS LINE COMING? Companies look to run natural gas pipeline through Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.ferc.gov/help/how-to/ecomment.asp

How to Submit Comments via eComment

Go to:
https://ferconline.ferc.gov/QuickComment.aspx

Click on the "eComment" button

1. The system returns an "Authorize eComment:" screen. Key in your
o Name,
o Email address, and
o Phone Number (optional) in the labeled fields.

2. Key in the characters in the picture in the field below the picture. If you have difficulty reading the characters, click on the speaker icon next to the picture to hear the code (be sure the volume on your PC is high enough). After keying in the characters, click on Submit.

3. You will see the message: "Thank you for your interest in submitting eComments to FERC. You will receive an email with detailed instructions on how you can submit your eComment." The email is sent to the email address you entered on the first screen.

4. Check your email account for a "Confirmation of eComment" email. Click on the link in the email to display the "Submit eComment" screen.

5. You can query and select the docket or project number(s) applicable to your comment (click on Search) or you can use the Quick Entry method.

For Quick Entry, key in the docket or project number in the box for the docket number (PF10-17). Use the Search option if you are unsure about the format. You may add additional docket or project numbers provided your comments pertain to them.

6. Key or Copy/Paste your text comments in the large text box. There is a counter below the box to tell you how much space you have left for comments. If you entered a name at the beginning of the process for an Association or organization, you must include the name of an individual responsible for the filing and contact information in the text box.

7. Click on Submit Comment.

8. You will receive a Confirmation of Receipt email. Your comments will be added to the record in eLibrary in the docket or project number(s) you selected at the beginning of the process.

Posted on: 2010/7/29 1:43
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Re: HUGE GAS LINE COMING? Companies look to run natural gas pipeline through Jersey City

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/23 19:40
Group:
Registered Users
Here's another suggestion for an email message:

Dear Committee member,

I am writing to express my opposition to the Spectra Energy Natural Gas Pipeline.

I am a resident of Jersey City, and I am concerned that this pipeline will pose a threat to my neighborhood, as well as to the historical and financial hearts of the city. This pipeline is an explosion risk, as well as a source of pollution in an area the routinely fails the EPA criteria for air quality. Furthermore, there are no demonstrated benefits for Jersey City. This line is to service New York City and profit a private company, Spectra.

I urge your opposition to the current plan. If pipeline construction is necessary, I'd ask that you support re-routing the pipeline through nearby non-residential and non-commercial areas, such as the nearby industrial zones and ports. I believe the impact to human health will be decreased, and these areas will be less of a security risk.

Posted on: 2010/7/27 2:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

swooshy wrote:
There are billions of dollars of real estate and infrastructure at stake here, not to mention the lives and health of thousands of people. Where are Trump, Lefrak, MacK Cali, Conrail, Homeland Security, Port Authority on this? Is the Turnpike Authority in on this with a gasline under the Bayonne extension?

We should demand an insurance policy/bond similar to what BP has had to set up because of the Gulf -- a fund/bond for billions.That will eat up the cost savings for them of such a reckless idea, if the cost was to go up they will not want to do this. And this is not even for the residents HERE. Just take a look at recent explosions in CT, TX and of course the mess in the Gulf.

go to ferc site, input the docket # to see that lefrak is heavily involved with letters, presence at dog/pony spectra shows. all you mention know of this, got 10 pg ferc booklet today (uploaded july 16th, mailed july 23rd, received july 26th and scoping comments end on aug 20th for NEPS and EIS comments, issues, etc:

For your convenience, you can submit your comments to the Commission. In all instances, please reference the project docket number (PF10-17-000) with your submission. The Commission encourages electronic filing of comments and has expert eFiling staff available to assist you at (202) 502-8258 or efiling@ferc.gov.

1) You may file your comments electronically by using the Quick Comment feature which is located at www.ferc.gov under the link called "Documents and Filings." A Quick Comment is an easy method for interested persons to submit text-only comments on a project;

In your ?Quick Comment? refer to the project?s docket number, PF10-17-000, Spectra Energy Natural Gas Pipeline.

Posted on: 2010/7/27 1:20
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/7 0:45
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.spectraenergywatch.com/blog/

So the irony here is that this pipeline which is going to go to New York City will help "reduce emissions" but will destroy their drinking water and our drinking water. Wonderful.

Posted on: 2010/7/27 0:31

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 16:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Letter from Steven Fulop:

1) Email FERC at efiling@ferc.gov and include docket number, PF10-17-000, Spectra Energy Natural Gas Pipeline in your subject line or in the body of your message.

The email address sent out by Fulop was incorrect:

The email address efiling@ferc.gov is for assistance only and not for submitting comments. To add your comments to the record for PF10-17, please use the eComment system at
http://www.ferc.gov/docs-filing/ecomment.asp

Other contact information that might be useful:

Governor Chris Christie
http://www.nj.gov/governor/contact/

Senator Menendez
http://menendez.senate.gov/contact/index.cfm

Senator Lautenberg
http://lautenberg.senate.gov/contact/index1.cfm

Posted on: 2010/7/26 21:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
So, by means of distillation of facts presented: approval of the pipeline through Jersey City by FERC is a certainty and the only force to stop it AFTER that is Barak Obama's intervention.

I see no likelihood of either happening, no matter what anyone in Jersey City does, says, or writes.

I disagree. Strongly.

Believe it or not, FERC is not a rubber stamp. Yes, they make decisions that sometimes seem to generously favor industry but you are never going to please all the people all the time. In my view, there are two keys to successfully fighting this project:

- Continue to rally public officials against it. In the end, they are the ones with the greatest ability to pressure FERC. Lautenberg is already against it. Healy has spoken out against it. City council members from the wards directly affected have spoken out against it. It would be very helpful if Christie, Menendez and Sires would do so too.

- Make people (particularly the media) aware that there is another option that would please just about everyone (well, except Spectra.) The current plan has the pipeline going from Linden over to Staten Island and then coming back to Bayonne and up through JC.

Instead, keep it in Staten Island. Run it from there into the Harbor and up the river. Spectra will argue about the added distance (not that much) and cost (not insignificant), but natural gas pipelines run underwater for hundreds of miles in the Gulf of Mexico (and in waters thousands of feet deep.)

Why should we (or anyone else in NJ) put ourselves at great risk simply so ConEd in NYC can have another source of supply when there is a perfectly suitable and much safer answer available???

Posted on: 2010/7/26 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I spoke to Omar Perez in Healy's office. He said that Healy met with Christie to try to get him on board. It sounds like Healy's office is trying but they have limited resources and a staff with low morale.

Omar said to call 201-547-5218 if you have ideas or time to devote to getting people out to the August 4th meeting. I suggested that Healy should go down to the Grove Street and Newport PATH Stations if city workers won't go.

Posted on: 2010/7/26 19:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Homeland Security Main Number:

202-282-8000

I just left a message for David Kontny of DHS, the Chief of Staff for Infrastructure at DHS.

703-235-3946

david.kontny@hq.dhs.gov

or

david.kontny@dhs.gov

Posted on: 2010/7/26 16:25

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/16 16:24
Group:
Registered Users
There are billions of dollars of real estate and infrastructure at stake here, not to mention the lives and health of thousands of people. Where are Trump, Lefrak, MacK Cali, Conrail, Homeland Security, Port Authority on this? Is the Turnpike Authority in on this with a gasline under the Bayonne extension?

We should demand an insurance policy/bond similar to what BP has had to set up because of the Gulf -- a fund/bond for billions.That will eat up the cost savings for them of such a reckless idea, if the cost was to go up they will not want to do this. And this is not even for the residents HERE. Just take a look at recent explosions in CT, TX and of course the mess in the Gulf.

Posted on: 2010/7/26 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I also called the governor's office and sent an email.

609-292-6000 - I asked for the aid's office.

http://www.state.nj.us/governor/contact/

Posted on: 2010/7/26 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
So, by means of distillation of facts presented: approval of the pipeline through Jersey City by FERC is a certainty and the only force to stop it AFTER that is Barak Obama's intervention.

I see no likelihood of either happening, no matter what anyone in Jersey City does, says, or writes.

I DO think perhaps judicial intervention on the basis that there is no BENEFIT for those who must bear the RISK and thus FERC's rubber stamp approval is contrary to law...but we are talking about a huge expense in taking this through appeals courts and even the Supreme Court.

After Regan, Bush, Clinton, Bushette, and Obama, there is very little regulation left to stop a corporation in its pursuit of profit. DEregulation has been and is the rule and thus there is nothing left for the public to battle with.

Do you think ANY communities in New Jersey want an immense gas pipline running near their houses but here we are with one abutting the Kill van Kull? That is a LOT of NJ people who have had their wishes thwarted by Big Gas.

Tilting at windmills burns a lot of calories but accomplishes little else. And this is one FRACKING big windmill.

Posted on: 2010/7/26 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Letter from Steven Fulop:

Dear residents,

Houston, Texas-based Spectra Energy wants to build a major natural gas pipeline expansion to New York City that will run through the heart of Jersey City. Jersey City will bear tremendous risks with no reward, all for the benefit of New York City and Spectra.

The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) has scheduled a meeting for Wednesday, August 4th, from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. at Ferris High School, 35 Colgate Street. We need your presence to stop this pipeline or your written objection for the record by Aug. 4th. This will likely be the only public meeting to make your objections known.

IF you cannot make the meeting WE NEED YOU TO SEND A LETTER!!! We need to show that the community is against this.

1) Email FERC at efiling@ferc.gov and include docket number, PF10-17-000, Spectra Energy Natural Gas Pipeline in your subject line or in the body of your message.

OR

2) Send a letter

Your letter must be sent by Aug 4th and ask to be part of ?JC scoping transcript for Aug 4th mtg.?

Include the docket number, PF10-17-000 on your original and two copies. Address one copy of your letter to the attention of Gas Branch 3 DG2E.

Send all 3 letters to:

Kimberly D. Bose Secretary
FERC
888 First St. NE
Room 1A
Washington, DC 20426

Sample Letter:

?I object to the proposed Spectra Natural Gas Pipeline in Jersey City as it is to be built through some of Jersey City's most densely populated and historic neighborhoods. An explosion here would likely be far more deadly than elsewhere in the state. Carcinogenic toxins released into the air from the metering station and block valves become air-borne endangering the health of all residents throughout Jersey City.

*The planned expansion will pass through or nearby a number of heavy industrial and chemical plants and in close proximity to Homeland Security Department designated Tier 1 & Tier 2 Critical Infrastructure. An explosion near any of these facilities could be catastrophic. The city?s economic engine ? Wall Street back offices along the waterfront and major infrastructure such as the Holland Tunnel and the NJ Turnpike Extension could be severely affected by an incident.

*According to the Wall Street Journal, there were 47 pipeline incidents in the U.S. in 2009 that caused death or serious injury. In just three incidents alone this year, 10 people have been killed and 33 seriously injured.?

Sign your name, mailing address, email address, and phone number to this letter

For more information and to stay up to date, please consider joining the
Jersey City NO Gas Pipelines online discussion group at http://groups.google.com/ group/jerseycitygas

Sincerely,

Councilman Steven Fulop and staff

Posted on: 2010/7/26 13:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Seeking comment on proposed gas line through Jersey City and Bayonne, Feds to hold meetings next week

Monday, July 26, 2010
By MELISSA HAYES
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

The federal agency that regulates natural gas pipelines will hold four public meetings next week on plans to run a gas line through Jersey City and Bayonne.

The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission is gathering information to assess the environmental impact of Houston-based Spectra Energy's proposed pipeline from Linden to Manhattan.

Besides the four meetings, FERC will also accept written comments through Aug. 20.

"You can make a difference by providing us with your specific comments or concerns about the project," FERC wrote in a letter to residents. "Your comments should focus on the potential environmental effects, reasonable alternatives and measures to avoid or lessen environmental impact."

The Bayonne meeting is Monday, Aug. 2, 7 p.m., at the Knights of Columbus Hall, 669 Avenue C.

FERC will also hold a meeting Wednesday, Aug. 4, 7 p.m., at Ferris High School, 35 Colgate St., Jersey City.

On Tuesday, Aug. 3, there is a meeting in Staten Island. On Thursday, Aug. 5 there is a meeting in Manhattan.

Pipeline officials will be on hand one hour prior to all of the meetings to present the plans and display maps of the proposed pipeline routes.

Spectra formally began the pre-filing process in April and is seeking a certificate to extend its pipeline in Linden through Staten Island to Bayonne and Jersey City, then under the Hudson River to Manhattan.

To submit written comments, visit www.ferc.gov and follow the link for "documents and filings." The docket number for this project is PF10-17. For additional information call (202) 502-8258 or e-mail efiling@ferc.gov.

Posted on: 2010/7/26 10:48

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/5 15:04
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Just got a post card in the mail asking for community feedback on the pipeline. I've sent my comments of opposition to:

pipeline@jcnj.org

efilings@frec.gov

https://ferconline.ferc.gov/QuickComment.aspx
(project docket number PF10-17-000)

I'll be at the hearing on August 4 from 6 to 10, Ferris High School.

Posted on: 2010/7/25 13:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
In February, following the pipeline explosion in Connecticut at the Kleen Energy facility that killed five workers, Lautenberg came out strongly against this pipeline. I am not aware of Menendez having a public position on this.

Good call.

Maybe the BP debacle in the Gulf will remind folks of the risks presented by such energy projects. I know there's no rational connection between the two incidents... just an emotional recognition that mistakes do happen. Etc.

Also... how about all those chemical factories we have all over the state... I wonder what GWB did shoring up their security after 9/11? Probably zilch.

With that in mind... this might stimulate some concern:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_69664.html

and this

http://www.pbs.org/now/thisweek/index_032103.html

and this (part one):

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/expose/expose_2007/episode201/watch.html

and this (part two):

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/expose/expose_2007/episode202/watch.html

Posted on: 2010/7/23 3:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
In February, following the pipeline explosion in Connecticut at the Kleen Energy facility that killed five workers, Lautenberg came out strongly against this pipeline. I am not aware of Menendez having a public position on this.

Posted on: 2010/7/23 2:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
What if any response have you gotten from our Congressman and Senators Lautenberg and Menendez?

Posted on: 2010/7/23 2:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) Meeting Spectra Natural Gas Pipeline route through Jersey City Wednesday, August 4th, from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m Ferris High School, 35 Colgate Street.
Kara Harris is FERC?s environmental project manager. She urged concerned citizens to send written responses directly to FERC at http://www.ferc.gov online with the project?s docket number,PF10-17-000. Letters should also be sent to Kimberly D. Bose, Secretary, FERC, 888 First St. NE, Room 1A, Washington, DC 20426. Include the reference number (docket number, PF10-17-000)on an original and two copies. Address one copy to the attention of Gas Branch 3, DG2E, FERC, 888 First St. NE, Room 1A, Washington, DC 20426. Write to FERC and demand that your letter be part of the transcript for the JC scoping meeting date if you can't get to the Aug 4th meeting.
Don?t let Spectra Gas Pipeline destroy Jersey City!
Houston, Texas-based Spectra Energy wants to build a major natural gas pipeline expansion to New York City that will run through the heart of Jersey City. As currently proposed, Jersey City will bear tremendous risks with no reward, all for the benefit of New York City and Spectra. What are these risks? ? Pipelines explode ? and large pipelines cause large explosions! The planned expansion is a 36? diameter pipe ? among the largest in use. ? The proposed pipeline is to be built through some of Jersey City's most densely populated and historic neighborhoods. An explosion here would likely be far more deadly than elsewhere in the state.. ? The proposed route will pass close to Dickinson High School, Enos Jones Park and Roberto Clemente Park, among other public locations such as A&P and more ? threatening our children. ? The planned expansion will pass through or nearby a number of heavy industrial and chemical plants, Newark Liberty Airport and in close proximity to Homeland Security Department designated Tier 1 & Tier 2 Critical Infrastructure. An explosion near any of these facilities could be catastrophic. ? The city?s economic engine ? Wall Street back offices along the waterfront and major infrastructure such as the Holland Tunnel and the NJ Turnpike Extension could be severely affected by an incident. ? Toxins released into the air from the metering station and block valves become air-borne carcinogens endangering the health of all residents. ? According to the Wall Street Journal, there were 47 pipeline incidents in the U.S. in 2009 that caused death or serious injury. In just three incidents alone this year, 10 people have been killed and 33 seriously injured.
Do These Risks Seem Acceptable To YOU??? Jersey City Gas Pipelines 347-789-7508 http://groups.google.com/group/jerseycitygas/ Say NO to the Spectra Natural Gas Jersey City Pipeline!

Posted on: 2010/7/22 18:34
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
This was submitted on another site:

Quote:

FERC To Hold Public Meetings Over Spectra Gas Pipeline

Have an Opinion About the Spectra Gas Pipeline Running Through YOUR Neighborhood? The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission Wants To Hear It!

The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) will be holding a meeting to listen to public opinion on the proposed Spectra Gas Pipeline route through Jersey City on Wednesday, August 4th, from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. at Ferris High School, 35 Colgate Street.

The proposed pipeline, which is to be built through some of Jersey City's most densely populated and historic neighborhoods, will also run in close proximity to Homeland Security Department designated Tier 1 & Tier 2 Critical Infrastructure.

So far, this is the only public meeting scheduled by FERC and interested residents should voice their opinions and concerns about the proposed gas pipeline. Spectra has requested authorization from FERC to lay the pipeline from Linden, NJ through Jersey City to a ConEdison Plant on West 14th Street, New York.

Download meeting flyer and map of proposed route. Voice YOUR opinion of the pipeline by emailing pipeline@jcnj.org. Read more here.

City of Jersey City
Office of Communications
http://www.jerseycitynj.gov/

Posted on: 2010/7/21 16:15
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Xerxes wrote: Bright Moment You have conflicting options there. First you are saying that we need to "show FERC there is specific opposition." Yes, FERC is the regulatory agency charged with approving process. Just like the Embankment Preservation Coalition was subject to municipal, state and federal agencies and respective court rulings, it's taken 12+ years, there looks to be a settlement with the Embankment. With Obama providing ultimate oversite responsibility, the accident with BP that could have been prevented, etc, all point to our need in JC to generate "specific opposition" and measurable, as being what generates results But then you state that FERC's approval is likely a fait accompli becasue of corruption within the agency, an outcome that I do not doubt for a moment. Yes, no one is naive here and as I said before our ability to generate pressure is only AFTER FERC makes their ruling, just as irrespective of how you feel about a court trial you can only make an appeal AFTER verdict has been rendered. We need bodies, names, addresses, of as many throughout JC to state their opposition as possible. By example, Councilman Fulop formally has stated his objection to the natural gas pipeline with no qualifiers, i.e., it's a bad idea, take it elsewhere. He sent out notice of this several times in his city-wide mailing. So what is the point of showing FERC ANYTHING? See above If FERC approval is a given, is there an authority ABOVE them who can stop the pipeline. Can Barack Obama stop a pipeline through Jersey City with no viable use to Jersey City (or even New Jersey?) Can Lautenberg or Menendez? Yes, Obama could by executive order. Lautenberg is on record opposed to the pipeline. Menendez is less clear as to his opposition. Both can bring pressure, again through our focused group since it was both Lautenberg and Fulop who asked that such a group be formed to provide a central focus for JC's residents to find out more info and show how strong the voice is in opposition. That's why there has been media coverage as posted in this topic thread. If not, then we have ourselves a big gas pipeline and anything we do is likely a waste of time. No, it is not a waste of time. If you simply complain on this site, do not join our group to show your opposition to all parties opposed to the natural gas pipeline, simply roll over, unlike even small communities, such as Dish, Texas, who's Mayor was interviewed on the Gasland doc on HBO, and Damascus, PA, who have both organized national opposition and recognition of the problem. This is not about how many on this or other sites say they are against the pipeline as even with this topic thread the info is less, the focus little, compared to the google group we set up in my signature:Jersey City Gas Pipelines You might find this interesting. It speaks to the need for specific benefits to those who must endure an energy pipeline. http://earth2tech.com/2010/03/01/util ... s-transmission-authority/ Yes, we NEED LOTS OF PUSH BACK ON FERC
READ MY SIG BELOW JOIN OUR GROUP AND SAY NO JERSEY CITY GAS PIPELINES! l l l l l l V

Posted on: 2010/7/13 21:14
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Bright Moment

You have conflicting options there. First you are saying that we need to "show FERC there is specific opposition."

But then you state that FERC's approval is likely a fait accompli becasue of corruption within the agency, an outcome that I do not doubt for a moment.

So what is the point of showing FERC ANYTHING?

If FERC approval is a given, is there an authority ABOVE them who can stop the pipeline. Can Barack Obama stop a pipeline through Jersey City with no viable use to Jersey City (or even New Jersey?) Can Lautenberg or Menendez?

If not, then we have ourselves a big gas pipeline and anything we do is likely a waste of time.

You might find this interesting. It speaks to the need for specific benefits to those who must endure an energy pipeline.
http://earth2tech.com/2010/03/01/util ... s-transmission-authority/

Posted on: 2010/7/13 13:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
At what level must this be stopped? Apparently the owner of the land (Lefrak in part) or the mayor of the city cannot stop it. Can the governor of the state? Can the president?

Or is it an a priori GIVEN that a private comapny can do anything it wants as long as Congress has not expressedly forbidden it? Where did a single corporation GET this kind of omnipotence?

Often a single Senator can stop any project in his state by some sort of Senate "accomodation."

Oh, as for the location of the pipeline "between the A&P annd Target," is anyone aware that the last 3 water main breaks causing major disruptions downtown were PRECISELY between the A&P and Target? It seems the LEAST stable ground in Jersey City.

GASLAND was a must see, I watched twice...anyone with HBO should watch it to see our future.

The only thing that will stop Spectra is JC residents in mass joining the Jersey City Gas Pipelines group, so that we can show FERC that there is specific opposition that is quantified to the natural gas pipeline beyond the Mayor, council members, Senator Lautenberg and a few of us who've actually attended the Spectra mtgs which are just dog-n-pony shows they roll out throughout the US.

Awareness through this site, other sites, the media are only a start. If you're really concerned as all should be in JC, then start by joining our group below. We can only start the opposition to the FERC approval process once FERC has actually ruled on approval, which based on FERC's oil/gas industry connections (think BP and the Minerals Committee good ole boy connections to lack of oversite due to Cheney/Bush and the horror in the Gulf)will be most likely fait acompli. Only then can we respond to their ruling but in the meantime spread the word to join our group below.

Posted on: 2010/7/12 22:54
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
At what level must this be stopped? Apparently the owner of the land (Lefrak in part) or the mayor of the city cannot stop it. Can the governor of the state? Can the president?

Or is it an a priori GIVEN that a private comapny can do anything it wants as long as Congress has not expressedly forbidden it? Where did a single corporation GET this kind of omnipotence?

Often a single Senator can stop any project in his state by some sort of Senate "accomodation."

Oh, as for the location of the pipeline "between the A&P annd Target," is anyone aware that the last 3 water main breaks causing major disruptions downtown were PRECISELY between the A&P and Target? It seems the LEAST stable ground in Jersey City.

GASLAND was a must see, I watched twice...anyone with HBO should watch it to see our future.

Posted on: 2010/7/12 22:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 18:03
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
This film was made in 2007; 3 years before the BP disaster:

Posted on: 2010/7/12 20:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Off topic but...

=================================
Live From Hoboken... It's Friday Night!
A conversational Hobokenite is hosting a new public access TV show taped live at Symposia bookstore.

By Andrew Tavani

One of Hoboken's charms is that the city is teeming with people who relish spirited socio-political debate.

The Mile Square is alive with dialogue unfolding on the websites of the local newspapers and over a network of citizen folk blogs, which started with local blogger Perry Klaussen's Hoboken411, allowing the populace to muse about issues facing the nation down to those facing their very block.

Second ward resident John Bredin is the latest Hobokenite to foray into the citizen media sphere with something a bit quaint for the Internet age: a TV show.

Bredin, 49, recently began hosting and producing Public Voice Salon, a one-hour cable access TV show that premiered on June 3 and airs Thursday evenings at 8 p.m. on Cablevision's channel 19. Bredin produces the show, of which there are now three episodes, with the assistance of his wife, Claudia Canasto-Chibuque, at Symposia Community Bookstore on Washington Street.

An adjunct professor of English at CUNY's Borough of Manhattan Community College and a New York City real estate agent, the affable Bredin is not exactly a newcomer to the Hoboken activism and commentary scene. In fact, the TV show is the second iteration of Public Voice Salon, which Bredin first hosted in 2002 at Symposia and billed as a "chat room without the computer."

Bredin has been a busy writer. He has articles published here and there in obscure, highbrow web journals such as Eclectica Magazine and Inertia Magazine. And Bredin has been a frequent letter writer to The Hoboken Reporter?even an Op-Ed contributor five years ago while he was promoting a dating exercise he dubbed the "Love Project," romance being a subject he has a significant fascination with if his essay from the literary journal Slow Trains is any indication.

Recently, a letter to the editor of the Reporter, in which Breden argued that President Ronald Reagan used a "racist southern strategy" to get elected, courted the ire of the Republicans of Hoboken, who shot back at Bredin in a response letter and implored him to "get real."

The incendiary tone of Bredin's letter was a sharp contrast to his soft-spoken nature in-person, perhaps hinting?considering the letter's date and that of his new show's launch?that Bredin may have been attempting to drum up interest in Public Voice Salon (or guests to appear on it). Still, the letter underscored the way Bredin fancies himself a conversation starter, which is pretty much the extent of his role on Public Voice Salon.

The show is a loosely structured roundtable. The third episode, taped on Friday night, featured a panel of twelve local activists, artists and thinkers from Hoboken, Jersey City and New York who chewed the fat on "culture, politics and the burning issues of the day."

Bredin moderates the show and is more of a homespun Phil Donahue than he is a Tim Russert-type. He opened the discussion on Friday by confessing to his panelists, "I can't believe I applied for it [the hour of cable access programming] and they gave it to me," before issuing this salvo: "Citizens are taking back the media from the corporations."

For the ensuing hour, Bredin passed around a handheld microphone to panelists such as former TV news producer Danny Schechter, Jersey City Board of Education member and singer-songwriter Carol Lester and Hoboken's own longtime public activist Dan Tumpson, while a single digital video camera operated by Bredin's wife videotaped the discussion.

Dialogue between panelists mainly centered on a shared disdain for several clich?d social targets. To name a few: corporations that run the media; corporations that run oil and other energy companies; lowbrow pop culture and the U.S. Supreme Court.

After the taping wrapped, 49-year-old Denise Katzman of Jersey City, who's a vocal opponent of a proposed natural gas pipeline project by Spectra Energy and was a guest on the show, said Bredin's salon is a critical step in giving a voice to people marginalized by mainstream media.

"The more diverse the voices are," she said of the show, "the better it'll be." Katzman praised Bredin's concept, but said she'd like to see more contrasting viewpoints in future episodes.

78-year-old Howard Gottbetter of Jersey City, one of a few members of the "live studio audience," echoed that sentiment.

"Where are the young people?" Gottbetter wondered, noting that the panelists were all "middle-aged and later." Gottbetter said he is interested in what the "Facebook generation" is thinking and speculated that many from that age-group were getting drunk in the next door bar.

Bredin, invoking the famed Seinfeld tagline, said Public Voice Salon is "a show about something," and he is not shy about his goal of taking the show national.

He said he hopes a cable network like Bravo, USA or TLC will eventually buy the show, which he views as "an attempt to help the public find and strengthen its political voice so we can begin the important work of renewing American democracy."

He said his optimism springs from another TV personality located just south on Washington Street. "In a strange way, though the topics of our shows are different, I'm inspired by the success of another local TV show, the Cake Boss," said Bredin.

"It would be nice to build the kind of interest in this show that they have for the Cake Boss, with people lined up on the sidewalk and peering in the windows from the street," he said.

"After all," he concluded, "don't you think renewing American democracy is as important as making cakes?"

Posted on: 2010/6/28 13:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Texas company's bid to put natural gas pipeline through Bayonne and Jersey City is moving through federal application process

Friday, June 25, 2010
By MELISSA HAYES
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

The federal application process is underway for a Houston-based company that wants to run a natural gas pipeline through Jersey City and Bayonne.

Spectra Energy held its last round of open houses this week. The Federal Energy Regulatory Committee will hold its own set of public meetings in the coming months as the company completes its pre-application process.

The company, which held open houses in March, formally began the pre-filing process in April and is seeking a certificate the extend its pipeline in Linden through Staten Island to Bayonne and Jersey City, then under the Hudson River to Manhattan.

FERC will ultimately decide whether to issue a certificate.

Concerned residents and property owners, including representatives of the LeFrak Organization, the developer of Newport in Jersey City, hammered Spectra's project manager Ed Gonzalez with questions at one of the meetings this week about the proposed route and possible alternatives.

The meeting, like previous ones, was sparsely attended.

Several people asked why the pipeline couldn't be routed straight to Manhattan from Staten Island.

Gonzalez said there isn't ample space in New York for a meter and regulating site. The Jersey City meter station would likely go somewhere between the New Jersey Turnpike Extension Bridge and the area of 17th and 18th streets between Monmouth and Jersey avenues, Spectra officials said.

But Marcy Boyle, senior vice president of the LeFrak Organization, developer of Newport in Jersey City, argued that there is plenty of space and that the company just prefers to go through Jersey City.

Gonzalez said PSE&G has also expressed interest in tapping into Spectra's natural gas line in Jersey City.

Residents have created an online forum, http://groups.google.com/group/jerseycitygas, to share information.

Posted on: 2010/6/25 13:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 18:03
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/6/23 5:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/6/22 19:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Josh Fox talks about the toxic materials from hydraulic fracturing that are turning up in people's water supplies.

Posted on: 2010/6/22 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

coronalime wrote:
Resized Image

Here

Looks like all of downtown is up for grabs... Embankment gas line anyone?

What Lunacy!

Healy Says Pipeline All Risk, No Benefit
Here is Mayor Healy's letter to U.S. Senator Robert Menendez outlining his official opposition to the Spectra Energy natural gas pipeline which, as proposed, would run through Greenville and Downtown:

==================

January 29, 2010

Dear Senator Menendez:

Spectra Energy is currently proposing the creation of a steel gas pipe line that will run through a densely populated area of Jersey City. I am in opposition to the line?s creation in light of the potential hazards that it may pose upon completion, the negative effects of which would potentially be felt, not only by the residents of Jersey City, but also by the New York metropolitan region and possibly the world?s financial markets. The proposed route is set to traverse the most densely populated sections of Jersey City that contain numerous and antiquated utilities already present within our roadways. The construction of the 30? steel pipe line will also hamper our public right-of-way in terms of the impact to our existing utilities and limit future residential and commercial development. Additionally, it will have a significant negative economic impact on private properties adjacent to the pipeline.

The line will transport up to 800 million cubic feet per day of natural gas through an area of Jersey City that is host to a number of entities classified as Tier 1 and Tier 2 Critical Infrastructure by the Department of Homeland Security, including the New Jersey Turnpike, the Path Transit System, the Holland Tunnel, the Hudson Bergen Light Rail, as well as many global financial institutions. In addition, the Tropicana Plant, which houses an Anhydrous Ammonia containment vessel, is located on the proposed pipeline route.

The failure of this 30? high pressure gas pipe line would be catastrophic: all of the existing water, gas, electric and telecommunication services would be severely affected and the New Jersey Turnpike, PATH trains and the entrance to the Holland Tunnel would be rendered out of commission. The resulting devastation would severely hamper our emergency response team due to impassable routes and a lack of resources to fight this type and magnitude of failure. The destruction and disruption of major financial institutions located on our waterfront would cause a ripple effect throughout markets worldwide. The safety of thousands of residents would be put in considerable jeopardy. Finally, the line would also increase the vulnerability of Jersey City as a potential target for terror attacks.

Also, in order to decrease the likelihood of accidental breakage and increase preparedness in the event of said breakage, the City would be pressed to incur an additional financial burden on our already strained resources. Our response team would need to be equipped with new state-of-the-art apparatus specialized in combating this type of failure. The protection, inspection, and maintenance of the proposed gas line poses significant complications and difficulty. Our City?s aged water and sewer system requires routine emergency maintenance and repairs. There have been numerous instances where contractors excavate our streets without proper mark outs, making accidental breakage of the line a feasible reality.

In the case of the Durham Woods gas pipeline explosion in Edison, NJ in 1994, the National Transportation Safety Board found that ?A contributing cause was a gouge to the gas pipeline by excavation equipment, such as a backhoe.? In this incident the resulting pipeline rupture lead to the ignition of escaping gas, resulting in flames that rose several feet into the air. [sic] The fire destroyed several buildings in the Durham Woods Apartment Complex and caused damages in excess of $25 million. This scenario replayed in Jersey City would create unimaginable loss of life and devastating effects to vital infrastructure. The risks posed greatly outweigh any potential benefits to Jersey City.

The proposed installation of this gas pipeline benefits two entities, Spectra Energy and Con Edison of New York. It is quite apparent the intention is to use Jersey City as a conduit to deliver their product from Staten Island to Manhattan, increasing gas supply to New York City residents, with little or no regard to the safety and security of the citizens of Jersey City. This pipeline will not provide any economic benefit to New Jersey nor Jersey City by increasing the availability of natural gas.

I urge you to join me in opposition to the construction of the Spectra Energy pipe line in light of the potential dangers that it may pose to Jersey City and our residents.

Sincerely,

Jerramiah T. Healy

Mayor of Jersey City

Posted on: 2010/6/22 17:51

« 1 ... 21 22 23 (24) 25 26 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!