Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Rally at City Hall Wednesday, Jan 27?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
Recall them all!

The only reason it died down is because the legal time to wait is until this may or something, but it's time to get that going.

What is the process for a recall? Let's get it going!

Posted on: 2010/1/28 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
right after the may election, there was some brief talk about organizing a recall election in jersey city as a response to the results ... is there an interest in revisiting the idea ... i know there was some buzz ... but it died down quickly ...

yesterday's meeting was awesome ... if we can harness the energy and dedication of those who cared to show up to demonstrate their displeasure, disappointment and frustration, we could create real change in this city ...

it could be change we have believed in ...

Posted on: 2010/1/28 19:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
We can no longer allow them to continue to patronize. We must put a stop to it! How do we do that....by continuing what we started last night. It was the largest crowd I have seen to date in City Hall Chambers, perhaps we even took the council by surprise with the attendance.

We cannot not stop now, there is POWER in numbers, it would be to easy to give up, that is what Healy and his Captive Council wants. Come on JC Residents we are better than that, lets fight them.

They want to make our lives miserable, than let's make theirs equally as miserable, and make them feel uncomfortable so everywhere they turn, the need to run and hide.

I saw Donnelly physically shaken in his shoes when confronted last night in the hallway by people from his ward on his vote. He even a apologized, to that I called him a coward, as he votes one way sitting in his chair, and than says another thing to the people when confroneted in the hall.
He was nervous as he bolted back to his chair, let's break them all down, will it be easy NO...

We can fight them and win. City Council meetings are at night, so there is no need to take days off from work to fight them..SHOW UP AT THE MEETINGS!!! BE STRONG!! BE HEARD!

Quote:

branpatrobinson wrote:
I expect they will just continue to patronize while they waste our money. This is all on their terms as well, you would have to take days of work to fight them, and even still they can deny you of your rights.

Fire the whole lot of them, maybe taxpayers should go on strike. This city government represents no-one but themselves, we work for them, it should be the other way around.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 18:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/28 20:24
Group:
Registered Users
I'm in! Were there fliers put up about last night? How was it advertised?

Posted on: 2010/1/28 18:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trish wrote:
Does anyone know if there will be another rally? I didn't know about the one last night, and I think we should keep the pressure on. We just bought in JC, and I'm starting to regret it! Honestly, the taxes make me want to move. I'd be happy to rally!
trish

There needs to be at least two more rallies - Feb. 10 and Feb. 24, which are the next two council meetings. If last night is as far as it goes, it may as well never have happened. It's up to us to make sure it continues.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 17:07

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/16 20:16
Group:
Registered Users
I expect they will just continue to patronize while they waste our money. This is all on their terms as well, you would have to take days of work to fight them, and even still they can deny you of your rights.

Fire the whole lot of them, maybe taxpayers should go on strike. This city government represents no-one but themselves, we work for them, it should be the other way around.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 16:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/10 20:52
Group:
Registered Users
awesome video!!!

Posted on: 2010/1/28 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Well done video. Quote:
Webmaster wrote:

Posted on: 2010/1/28 16:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/12 21:26
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stani wrote:
Quote:

gibbons70 wrote:
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
YDespite the showing tonight I can't help but feel the message of the people fell on deaf ears. The body language (and words) of several members of council seem to indicate such.

+1

All the Bush years did is prove that Government does, what Government wants, regardless of what the people say. And the Healy Team is following in Bush's teachings.

And the sad thing is, if there was a recall, who would fill the seats? It's a one party system in JC, makes me think our local government is a dictatorship. There is no alternative.

Thanks for bringing Bush into the discussion. It's nice to see that Republicans are alive and well in Jersey City politics.

No Problem. Just following the lead of current politics.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/20 14:33
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
But seriously, if they don't raise taxes to balance the budget, what gets cut? Police, fire, sanitation, parks...

You seem like a bright fellow. Why don't you do some research into how many captains there are in the JCPD and JCFD, what the overhead is of the Dept of Ed, and the rest of the city govt while you're at it, how much nepotism there is in city govt and how many sweetheart contracts are handed out. The overhead could be cut without reducing the services we get.

Cutting rank and file is a scare tactic used by those in power to keep the public at bay. It's a lot easier to do than to cut out their cronies.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
.....at the very end of the meeting, when there were eight people left in the chambers other than council (even all the press had left), they voted on the reappointment of two commissioners to the JCIA. Fulop had said earlier in the evening that they'd be voting on this and that he'd vote against renewal with the stipulation that they could be appointed at a future council meeting if they agreed to serve without benefits. .....[/url]

I completely misunderstood him. I thought he said something about two weeks from last night when 10 of you or half of you (citizens) would be at the meeting that he would introduce an ordianance that would deal with this...

I also assumed the public addresses were the last part of that meeting.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gibbons70 wrote:
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
YDespite the showing tonight I can't help but feel the message of the people fell on deaf ears. The body language (and words) of several members of council seem to indicate such.

+1

All the Bush years did is prove that Government does, what Government wants, regardless of what the people say. And the Healy Team is following in Bush's teachings.

And the sad thing is, if there was a recall, who would fill the seats? It's a one party system in JC, makes me think our local government is a dictatorship. There is no alternative.

Thanks for bringing Bush into the discussion. It's nice to see that Republicans are alive and well in Jersey City politics.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stani wrote:
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

JCNewJersey wrote:
+1 for posting the video. I think the council heard the message loud and clear.

I think the council listened to the message - well, maybe not all of it. Willie Flood was asleep (literally) for a good hour during the second half of public speaking. I'm not convinced it registered though. Seems they have become conditioned to a large crowd showing up now and again, sitting through it and then waiting for things to die down a meeting or two later and going back to business as usual.

Why am I skeptical? Because at the very end of the meeting, when there were eight people left in the chambers other than council (even all the press had left), they voted on the reappointment of two commissioners to the JCIA. Fulop had said earlier in the evening that they'd be voting on this and that he'd vote against renewal with the stipulation that they could be appointed at a future council meeting if they agreed to serve without benefits. It is a first step toward eliminating benefits for the board members of the JCIA and the MUA - in total, these benefits run $400,000 per year. ($20,000 per member for twelve one hour meetings per year.) Fulop said he has dozens of resumes from people with far better qualifications to fill those seats who would do it for free.

The commissioners were reappointed, by a vote of 8 to Fulop. Richardson said she is in favor of looking hard at eliminating the benefits but didn't want to do it ad hoc and hang these two people out to dry. Fair enough - at least she had a reasonable objection and articulated it. The more interesting stance was taken by Gaughan. He blustered about needing to reward these people for their hard work and that the city won't be able to attract quality people to fill these "very important positions." The kicker is, his daughter is the chairperson of the board of the JCMUA.

The chairman of the JCIA is a P. Terrell Flood, any relation to Willie Flood?

I was at the meeting last night and I'm afraid unless there are street demonstrations on this issue, we will get nowhere. The issue is that the council members except for Fulop are part of the Healy team. They do Healy's bidding. They know the public has contempt for them and they in turn have contempt for the public. They're comfortably ensconced in their positions until next election and then they'll do the same thing they did last year: hold the line on taxes right before the election to make them look better and recruit their special interests to get out the vote.

We're toast until the next election and the biggest risk is that the ire and energy you saw last night will be dissipated by then. I think the best thing that could happen is that the message gets around to all of yesterday's attendees that we have to become activists for change during the next election. The people who turned out yesterday were a committed, enthusiastic bunch and if they use their enthusiasm and commitment during the next election cycle, we may have some hope. The Healy team needs to be voted out.

Why wait until the next election cycle? I think these morons become eligible for a recall vote later this year. If one of the civic groups is willing to organize a recall effort, I'd gladly volunteer my time. The way things are going, I CAN'T afford to continue living in JC, and I'm not exaggerating. I'm nearing the decision to move out of JC sooner rather than later. The problem is, who would want to buy a condo with annual property taxes approaching $10K?

Posted on: 2010/1/28 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

JCNewJersey wrote:

I think the council listened to the message - well, maybe not all of it. Willie Flood was asleep (literally) for a good hour during the second half of public speaking. I'm not convinced it registered though. Seems they have become conditioned to a large crowd showing up now and again, sitting through it and then waiting for things to die down a meeting or two later and going back to business as usual.

Why am I skeptical? Because at the very end of the meeting, when there were eight people left in the chambers other than council (even all the press had left), they voted on the reappointment of two commissioners to the JCIA. Fulop had said earlier in the evening that they'd be voting on this and that he'd vote against renewal with the stipulation that they could be appointed at a future council meeting if they agreed to serve without benefits. It is a first step toward eliminating benefits for the board members of the JCIA and the MUA - in total, these benefits run $400,000 per year. ($20,000 per member for twelve one hour meetings per year.) Fulop said he has dozens of resumes from people with far better qualifications to fill those seats who would do it for free.

The commissioners were reappointed, by a vote of 8 to Fulop. Richardson said she is in favor of looking hard at eliminating the benefits but didn't want to do it ad hoc and hang these two people out to dry. Fair enough - at least she had a reasonable objection and articulated it. The more interesting stance was taken by Gaughan. He blustered about needing to reward these people for their hard work and that the city won't be able to attract quality people to fill these "very important positions." The kicker is, his daughter is the chairperson of the board of the JCMUA.

The chairman of the JCIA is a P. Terrell Flood, any relation to Willie Flood?

I was at the meeting last night and I'm afraid unless there are street demonstrations on this issue, we will get nowhere. The issue is that the council members except for Fulop are part of the Healy team. They do Healy's bidding. They know the public has contempt for them and they in turn have contempt for the public. They're comfortably ensconced in their positions until next election and then they'll do the same thing they did last year: hold the line on taxes right before the election to make them look better and recruit their special interests to get out the vote.

We're toast until the next election and the biggest risk is that the ire and energy you saw last night will be dissipated by then. I think the best thing that could happen is that the message gets around to all of yesterday's attendees that we have to become activists for change during the next election. The people who turned out yesterday were a committed, enthusiastic bunch and if they use their enthusiasm and commitment during the next election cycle, we may have some hope. The Healy team needs to be voted out.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCNewJersey wrote:
Harrison is laying off workers.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... o_see_cuts_in_librar.html

On the news this morning, the lead story was about Bloomberg announcing the likelihood of thousands of layoffs and pledging no tax hikes. I know New Yorkers are pissed at him about term limits, but they don't realize how fortunate they are.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 15:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/28 20:24
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know if there will be another rally? I didn't know about the one last night, and I think we should keep the pressure on. We just bought in JC, and I'm starting to regret it! Honestly, the taxes make me want to move. I'd be happy to rally!
trish

Posted on: 2010/1/28 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/30 19:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Just talked to my mortgage bank this morning, and my escrow account is down to like $20 after the first quarter's estimated tax is paid. I asked them to immediately do a new escrow analysis factoring this latest tax bill. My montly outlay is almost $300 more this year because I'm already paying extra for the shortfall from last year's 11% hike. Is anyone else running into escrow problems from this? Any ideas on how best to handle this? The woman at my bank's escrow department was very nice and she said acute escrow shortages were particularly commonplace in NJ.

Thanks for the info. I just took a look and my escrow is now in the negatives and I am paying $600 per month more to make up for the shortage. Unfortunately, I thought that included the new tax increase, but it seems to be just to make up for last year, like you found. Holy sh*t.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 15:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/7 16:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/1/28 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Just talked to my mortgage bank this morning, and my escrow account is down to like $20 after the first quarter's estimated tax is paid. I asked them to immediately do a new escrow analysis factoring this latest tax bill. My montly outlay is almost $300 more this year because I'm already paying extra for the shortfall from last year's 11% hike. Is anyone else running into escrow problems from this? Any ideas on how best to handle this? The woman at my bank's escrow department was very nice and she said acute escrow shortages were particularly commonplace in NJ.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
He just resigned the president's position; he has refused to resign his council seat and unbelievably still has a vote on these issues.

When he cares to show up, that is.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCNewJersey wrote:

Posted on: 2010/1/28 15:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
didnt he resign his place on the council? or just the presidency?

Posted on: 2010/1/28 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
I see Mariano Vega didn't show his face last night.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
great video - Esther is awesome. It's so nice to hear someone articulate an intelligent, passioned arguement instead of all of the namecalling we see so often on this site...

Posted on: 2010/1/28 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
I liked what Fulop had to say last night. Just from observing one meeting it was clear to me we have one absolute shining star, Fulop, and one that I would bet will continue to follow the public if we are loud enough?Viola Richardson. Lopez voted no to the resolution last night but wasn?t vocal about her thoughts. We need one or two more willing to make some right decisions for this city?who?

Posted on: 2010/1/28 14:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I loved when they asked for a recess and the public booed them into continuing.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 14:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I was there last night and it was great to see the citizens of Jersey City speak out against these tax increases. Esther was exactly right; they are treating us like ATM machines. When they need more money they just take it from us without asking.
We need to keep the momentum going and reach out to more media outlets such as NY news channels for coverage at the next council vote.
The city council needs to be shamed into submission.
I couldn't believe the arrogance of some of the council with their smirks and smiles as people were pleading with them to vote against the ordinance.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 14:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/7 16:42
Group:
Registered Users
+1 for posting the video. I think the council heard the message loud and clear. It is time to lay off non essential workers like my corporation did for the last 16 months. Well over 20,000 employees.

There is way too much waste in our city government. Furloughs don't do it. For any city workers who spend 3 hours working and the rest of the day surfing the internet you have to go. You know who you are too.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 13:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks everyone for the updates and Webbie for the video for those of us who couldn't be there.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 12:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/12 21:26
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
But seriously, if they don't raise taxes to balance the budget, what gets cut? Police, fire, sanitation, parks...

Hopefully, Healy's liquor consumption is what gets cut...

Posted on: 2010/1/28 12:35

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017