Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Jersey City writer hates new Shepard Fairey mural
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/4 12:11
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Shepherd Fairy was on Colbert last night. Seems like a pretty chill guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npd5sLbwedQ

Posted on: 2015/11/17 15:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/25 15:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

plnj wrote:
Wow, never realized so many people in JC were scarred from a storm. Who gives a shit what some bored blogger thinks. It looks cool compared to the shitty mess on the corner of columbus and coles.

Are you referring to "Big City Dreams" or the one on Dixon Deli?
Dreams is one of my fav DT.

"Big City Dreams" is what I am referring to. It's not that it is a bad piece I just feel like it is misplaced. It should be on a train car not in a neighborhood. I would love to see it replaced with something from Emilio Florentine. That's just my opinion as someone who has to look at it every day.

Posted on: 2015/10/29 14:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc123 wrote:
IMH(Unsolicited)O:
In the early morning and late afternoon, seeing the sunlight hit the wall of the building where this latest mural is located was a simply lovely sight, especially on days when the sky was brilliantly blue. The sun's low, slanting rays made the wall "glow" against this azure backdrop and it was beautiful to behold, even though it was "only" a simple brick wall. But that was part of the wonder of it--the light made the plain wall a thing of beauty. Being someone who prefers to live in an urban environment, I truly like looking at old brick walls/buildings. They are symbols of the age and history of a place, put there and maintained by workmen's hands so many years ago. I also love art, and I do like the mural that this artist did over by the tunnel. But I feel like the Grove Path Plaza mural is out of sync with that space. It feels predatory, and, at least for me, it has in fact drowned out/trampled the beauty of the former plain-old brick wall, especially when that low-angled sunlight would hit it just so.

That is an interesting thoughtful critique. Much better than some of the others..."why cant we use a local artist" and "He's a no talent plagiarist"

Posted on: 2015/10/29 13:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

plnj wrote:
Wow, never realized so many people in JC were scarred from a storm.

Uh, yeah.

Posted on: 2015/10/29 4:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/1 18:47
Group:
Registered Users
IMH(Unsolicited)O:
In the early morning and late afternoon, seeing the sunlight hit the wall of the building where this latest mural is located was a simply lovely sight, especially on days when the sky was brilliantly blue. The sun's low, slanting rays made the wall "glow" against this azure backdrop and it was beautiful to behold, even though it was "only" a simple brick wall. But that was part of the wonder of it--the light made the plain wall a thing of beauty. Being someone who prefers to live in an urban environment, I truly like looking at old brick walls/buildings. They are symbols of the age and history of a place, put there and maintained by workmen's hands so many years ago. I also love art, and I do like the mural that this artist did over by the tunnel. But I feel like the Grove Path Plaza mural is out of sync with that space. It feels predatory, and, at least for me, it has in fact drowned out/trampled the beauty of the former plain-old brick wall, especially when that low-angled sunlight would hit it just so.

Posted on: 2015/10/29 3:42

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/24 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Shepard's mural is clearly comes from his work titled "Water is the New Black". Lady Liberty replaces the oil rig.

Resized Image

In an article he wrote for the Daily Beast about his recent NYC art exhibit, "On Our Hands", at the Jacob Lewis Gallery, he states:

"Starting with a collaboration I did with the Surfrider Foundation in 2009 and continuing with my response to the BP spill in the Gulf in 2010, I?ve made several images of waves and water threatened by or contaminated by oil spills. This piece was largely inspired by the very visible oil platforms off the coast of Santa Barbara, as well as the recent oil spill there. The contrast between the beauty of the coastline and the oil platform that is a symbol of the threat to that coastline is a provocative way for me to indulge my love of beautiful subject matter and a symbol of the threat to the environment. Much in the same way I find the rhythm of waves and the ocean mesmerizing, the process of illustrating the ripples and curves of the water is rhythmic and therapeutic. Unlike climate change, which many people deny because you can?t see it in front of your face, it is hard to refute the destruction that an oil spill brings. I have donated proceeds from almost all of my wave images to the NRDC to help them push legislation that protects the environment from reckless corporations. Unfortunately, the oil and gas industry has very deep pockets and is difficult to fight."

Article here: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles ... tion-in-on-our-hands.html

Posted on: 2015/10/28 22:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
JC_User wrote: [...] With the Irene/Sandy flooding that affected so many people locally, what were they thinking when commissioning this? Or is it intended as a daily reminder of the effects of climate change?
Irene took a wack at some graffiti behind Enos Jones: IMGP2904rd [!SCRIPT FILTERED!]

Posted on: 2015/10/28 21:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/10/28 21:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_User wrote:
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
Quote:

Annod wrote:
All it does is remind me of Hurricane Sandy.

http://imgick.nj.com/home/njo-media/w ... photo/16247706-mmmain.jpg

Same here. I thought it to be in poor taste ("too soon").

Sandy, yes.

And a wave engulfing buildings also reminds me of the 2004 tsunami, unfortunately.

With the Irene/Sandy flooding that affected so many people locally, what were they thinking when commissioning this?

Or is it intended as a daily reminder of the effects of climate change?

Do you sleep with a night light on?

Posted on: 2015/10/28 21:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There's been a long discussion about this mural, and related issues, on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/371263 ... malink/10153772762447048/

I just posted these remarks to that discussion:

I see three issues here: 1) aesthetics, 2) public funds, and 3) public space. I'm going to set the first one aside, though it's taken up most of this conversation so far, which is fine. The second is very important, and the example of Philadelphia is germane. But apparently this mural was done with private money, though it was also done with the imprimatur of the City and that deserves the most serious consideration. But that's not what's on my mind at the moment.

I'm thinking about the third issue: public space. The walls may be privately owned, and require the owner's permission for a mural to go on them. But the space is visible to us all. There are a lot of private walls with advertising on them, some ads are relatively small, some are quite large; and, of course, there are billboards, which are created for advertising. We may or may not like how this or that advertisement looks, but we have no say in whether or not it goes on a wall. If the owner approves and the visual meets whatever guidelines there are ? I assume they exist, but I've not seen them ? then the ad is legal and you and I have no say in the matter. And we have no choice but to notice the ad. We can, of course, avert our eyes if it bothers us, but it's there and in our face.

How is the existence of privately funded advertising different from privately funded murals?

Posted on: 2015/10/28 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
I also think it's better than what was there before so I don't get all the fuss. I'm sure it could be better, but isn't this better than nothing?

Pretty much sums up the attitude about most everything around here. T-shirts should be made with this:

Jersey City: I'm sure it could be better, but isn't this better than nothing?

Posted on: 2015/10/28 19:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

plnj wrote:
Wow, never realized so many people in JC were scarred from a storm. Who gives a shit what some bored blogger thinks. It looks cool compared to the shitty mess on the corner of columbus and coles.

Are you referring to "Big City Dreams" or the one on Dixon Deli?
Dreams is one of my fav DT.

Posted on: 2015/10/28 18:51

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/19 4:53
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MattSchapiro wrote:
And I strongly support this mural project for providing visual diversion in our city and encouraging discussions such as this.

Also approve of most of the murals - it's just this one that I think is a bit ill conceived for JC.

Posted on: 2015/10/28 18:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/25 7:29
Group:
Registered Users
Art has been created in our city and everybody can have a discussion about what they like and don't like about it. Danto would be pleased.

The mural reminds me of a local legend: The Beast of New York Harbor. Very, very rarely, when large storms are positioned at just the perfect angle offshore (way offshore), a giant swell is rumored to break in New York Harbor beside the Statue of Liberty. The wave crests at 15ft+ and then peters out well before affecting land.

Surfers have been salivating over the idea for years, especially since the New York Times ran a piece on it about fifteen years ago. According to surflore, the wave has only been seen a handful of times and never ridden.

While looking at the mural, I love thinking about that mythical wave and what riding it would feel like. And I strongly support this mural project for providing visual diversion in our city and encouraging discussions such as this.

Posted on: 2015/10/28 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
I also think it's better than what was there before so I don't get all the fuss. I'm sure it could be better, but isn't this better than nothing?

Posted on: 2015/10/28 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
i sorta like it...it's better than what was there before.

Posted on: 2015/10/28 17:52

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/19 4:53
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
Quote:

Annod wrote:

Sandy, yes.

And a wave engulfing buildings also reminds me of the 2004 tsunami, unfortunately.

With the Irene/Sandy flooding that affected so many people locally, what were they thinking when commissioning this?

Or is it intended as a daily reminder of the effects of climate change?

Posted on: 2015/10/28 17:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/25 15:19
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/10/28 16:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/18 16:12
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I hate it too!!! Every time I look at it, I get upset remembering the water in my house from Hurricane Irene. It's pretty damn tasteless and thoughtless.

Posted on: 2015/10/28 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Whatever, Pollock was a hack too.

Posted on: 2015/10/28 15:51

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
This quote here sums up Fulop's term as mayor quite accurately:

"Come to think of it, this is actually a pretty good metaphor for how things are done around here: no deep structural changes, but a fresh and distracting coat of paint on the same old stuff."

Posted on: 2015/10/28 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Fairey is a very polarizing figure, which always tends to be the case with "popular artists,", the general public doesn't separate the art from the person. I spent about 5 minutes staring at the mural yesterday and agree that in some fashion, it looks unfinished (maybe it was because the scaffolding was still hanging around). i kept looking for some hidden message/image in the wave and came up empty. This might end up being an inside joke and only Fairey is laughing.

His piece by the Holland Tunnel is much more intriguing, i suggest going to see that one.

Posted on: 2015/10/28 15:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Sounds like arrogant whining dick... it's paint on what was an empty fucking wall. I hate proletariat drivel from the entitled elite.

Maybe he should try Portland.

Posted on: 2015/10/28 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
while the art/artwork is subjective, if these are public commissions done with public money or publicly directed money, then should be done subject to public input/comment.

Philadelphia has an outstanding model that could be utilized - muralarts.org/about

Posted on: 2015/10/28 14:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 14:34
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
While I own some of his art from his early days, and am generally a fan, I really think that this piece is underwhelming and he could of really done something more original and different.

Posted on: 2015/10/28 13:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/12 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
Thought of Sandy and The Day after Tomorrow.

http://img2.rnkr-static.com/user_node ... morrow-films-photo-u2.jpg

These murals sometimes seem a desperate attempt to sugar coat ghetto edges. This has an apocalyptic feel through a Japanese lens. Is this art donated by the ill behaved "artist."

Posted on: 2015/10/28 13:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 23:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:

Agreed, I saw it and thought, wtf, wow pretty thoughtless and ugly and ripping off another artist again.

Posted on: 2015/10/28 5:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:

Posted on: 2015/10/28 3:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Qiu001 wrote:
Unfortunately it was underwhelming at best and I like the work of the artist. I always thought that would be a great place to display something that would be an iconic symbol of the city, now (to me) it only looks like an unfinished piece at best. Maybe I'm missing something.

Maybe we can get Banksy to add a surfer.

Posted on: 2015/10/28 2:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/22 22:59
Group:
Registered Users
Unfortunately it was underwhelming at best and I like the work of the artist. I always thought that would be a great place to display something that would be an iconic symbol of the city, now (to me) it only looks like an unfinished piece at best. Maybe I'm missing something.

Posted on: 2015/10/28 1:31

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017