Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
91 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

BottomBottom  Previous Topic Previous Topic  Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 12 »

Re: Dan is still Dan
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/16 21:05
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... view-filling-fulops-seat/

Dan Levin has done this before. He first walked the city?s downtown looking for votes in 2009 when he ran for mayor against Healy; then again in 2011 when he ran to replace one of two Healy-appointed At-Large Council positions that the mayor filled in the wake of Operation Bid Rig; and again now. Readers of JCI likely know him, or have read about him, or, perhaps, might soon meet him face-to-face as he makes the rounds knocking on doors.

Levin?s resume stands out among a crowded Council candidate field. A former small business owner, Levin was the president of the Harsimus Cove Association for three years, he founded Civic JC, an organization instrumental in getting P2P passed in the city, and helped found Bike JC. Despite the responsibilities of running his own business, Levin is also a founding director of the Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy.

He?s been busier than most, and has shown you don?t need to be an elected official or even work for the city to get things done. All you need is persistence, timing (after all, P2P was dead-in-the-water until so many local politicians and operatives found themselves in jail), and the ability to create a strong network of like-minded people. You don?t need to be an elected official, knows Levin, but it helps.

And after two attempts ending in disappointment, Levin took the surprising step of aligning himself with the very mayor he spent so long criticizing.

?You don?t pick and choose who you work with,? Levin says of the lessons learned working as a community activist. ?I may have been more dogmatic in the past, but you can?t get something done by fighting with people.?

Instead he?s taken the ?no blame? approach, which he learned from the Citizen?s Campaign, a government advocacy group that Levin points to as an organization that he admires. ?I?m a student of theirs,? he says.

It?s that bridge-building approach that he will to bring to the Council, if elected, which he hopes will replace the bitter partisan divide that comes with election season. ?I would like to see the contentious attitude on the Council go away.?

For Levin, the representation part of being a public representative is key. Indeed, he argues that a Council person?s position should reflect what the constituents want instead of his own personal agenda. ?It may clash with my personal beliefs, but their needs come first.?

Yet Levin has clear priorities. ?More open space,? he says, pointing to the 6th Street Embankment as a priority and expanding the city?s entertainment ordinance.

But if he and the mayor agree on that, it?s clear they don?t agree on all things. Levin said he?s interested in insurance procurement reform, an idea promoted by the Citizens Campaign but that the city?s Business Administrator Jack Kelly has called unnecessary.

That independence might resonate well with voters, who have been fickle towards Healy. In fact, having the support of the mayor is no guarantee of election, especially not downtown: during his nine years as mayor, Healy?s Ward E candidates have all lost. Nor do people always vote down the line. Getting ?80-to-90-percent? of Healy?s vote, stealing some votes from people voting for Fulop, and making inroads with new residents is the key to his election, says Levin. ?I need to explain that a ward Councilman is a lot like being a neighborhood association leader, which I?ve served as before to work on behalf of constituents.?

Posted on: 2013/5/9 10:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
It's also important to note that Dan Levin had absolutely nothing, not a thing to do with the renovation of Hamilton Park. He is in a video with Mayor Healy where he blithely takes credit for the renovation of Hamilton Park.

I've been hearing a lot from people who were on the fence with regard to voting for Dan and that pushed them over to Candice.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 2:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcmiles wrote:
Voting for Dan ≠ Voting for Healy.

I think many of us envision getting both reformers into office, Levin and Fulop.

I voted for Levin for Mayor (never trusted Manzo), donated to Dan's campaign, attended fundraisers, but this election he doesn't have my vote or support. I will not bash Dan and I respect your decision.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 15:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/8 1:12
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Voting for Dan ≠ Voting for Healy.

I think many of us envision getting both reformers into office, Levin and Fulop.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Used to have respect for this Levin but joining the Healy ticket just negates everything he has ever said or done for Jersey City. If Healy survives this election, does Levin really think that this city will see positive change as he envisions? Look how the machine has blocked Fulop for so many years... they will cast him aside like yesterday's paper and go back to business as usual. Levin's one vote will not make a difference.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 14:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/5/6 14:15

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/1 3:20
Group:
Registered Users
So what does Dan have to say about the latest revelations about the Honorable (cough) Mayor Healy?

Posted on: 2013/5/6 6:44

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/19 16:52
Group:
Registered Users
Dan has been working for Jersey City for two decades. He has my vote and my highest endorsement.

Posted on: 2013/5/4 0:47

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
I was gonna leave this alone, but then...
Quote:

jcmiles wrote:
Not endorsing Dan Levin for Ward E is another lost opportunity for Fulop. It clearly shows Fulop's emotions and ego cripple his thinking.... I hope Fulop can learn from this.

You could just as easily ? and more accurately written: ?Not seeking to work with Steve Fulop for Ward E is another lost opportunity for Levin. It clearly shows Levin's emotions and ego cripple his thinking. I hope Levin can learn from this.?

Levin did not seem to learn anything from his two previous crushing electoral defeats, except the wrong lesson. Hence his deal with the dev-- I mean Mayor.

You want to talk about ego issues, go read Dan?s letter. Count the ?I? ?me? and ?my? (22) as opposed to the ?we? and ?our? (8). That says something about the kind of orientation Dan has when he steps out of his role as activist and steps very uncomfortably into the shoes of someone courting power.

Contrast that to Steve Fulop or Candice Osborne, who are known BOTH for being strong leaders and strong collaborators. IMO, Fulop DID choose to support the best person to succeed him in the Ward E Council seat.

Dan?s not really a selfish guy. But this misguided campaign and cynical alliance with Healy reveal some of his limitations as a leader, and do not speak well for his ability to be effective in office.

But this is and always has been a matter for the voters to decide.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 21:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
?Given Mayor Jerramiah Healy?s confirmation that he is indeed the ?JC Official 4? cited in FBI criminal complaints, we call for his immediate resignation, as well as that of Council President Mariano Vega. The implication that both men have engaged in activities that compromise their ethical responsibilities to their constituents warrants their immediate removal from office?

Dan Levin

Posted on: 2013/5/3 21:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneOBall wrote:

Claim: I was a founding board member of the Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy, which landmarked the Powerhouse and worked towards redeveloping it into an arts district....

Ahhh, thanks for reminding me about this. So, he is joining the Healy Team that threw out all the artists from 111 First Street and then caved into a developer to remove affordable housing in the Powerhouse district. Is this the reality that is being claimed?

Here is your reality check:

Healy caves in to developer and nixes affordable housing. Local calls it a Dark Day

Posted on: 2013/5/3 20:37
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/19 16:52
Group:
Registered Users
Dan Levin claims and reality.

Claim: During my time as president of the Harsimus Cove Association, we spearheaded the creation of the hugely successful multi-use plaza at the Grove Street Path Station. This plaza now regularly hosts a farmers market, art market, and live entertainment.

Reality: During his time as president of the Harsimus Cove Association, he spearheaded the creation of the hugely successful multi-use plaza at the Grove Street Path Station. This plaza now regularly hosts a farmers market, art market, and live entertainment.

Claim: I was a founding board member of the Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy, which landmarked the Powerhouse and worked towards redeveloping it into an arts district. I also founded and led as president the good government organization Civic JC that created, developed, and led the effort to have Jersey City adopt the Contracting and Redevelopment Pay-to-Play ordinances ? the toughest ethics reforms in the state.

Reality: He was a founding board member of the Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy, which landmarked the Powerhouse and worked towards redeveloping it into an arts district. He also founded and led as president the good government organization Civic JC that created, developed, and led the effort to have Jersey City adopt the Contracting and Redevelopment Pay-to-Play ordinances ? the toughest ethics reforms in the state.

Claim: I co-founded Bike JC, which organizes the Jersey City Ward Tour; every year 700 bicyclists ride through all six wards. We also worked with the city to develop a bike lane plan, which will be implemented this summer. Not only will this provide bicyclists with a safe place on our streets, but it will reduce speeding. Most recently, I worked with the city to have the Liberty State Park footbridge that was damaged by Hurricane Sandy replaced by FEMA.

Reality: He co-founded Bike JC, which organizes the Jersey City Ward Tour; every year 700 bicyclists ride through all six wards. He also worked with the city to develop a bike lane plan, which will be implemented this summer. Not only will this provide bicyclists with a safe place on our streets, but it will reduce speeding. Most recently, he worked with the city to have the Liberty State Park footbridge that was damaged by Hurricane Sandy replaced by FEMA.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 19:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
jcmiles wrote: It clearly shows Fulop's emotions and ego cripple his thinking. Look at it this way. If Fulop was a manager at a private sector company and he chose someone for a position just because they were the only one that asked him nicely for it, he would have been fired immediately.
Ego? You are going to bring up ego? The Levin ego has left him (Levin) blind to what everyone else sees. The angry man running the Hillary Clinton 2008 "it's my turn" entitled campaign, lecturing everyone on what he knows best and no one else can possibly know? That guy? The next question he asks of someone will be his first.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Ridiculous. Dan did not get the nod to be on Fulop's ticket because he refused to "man up" and speak with Steve face to face.

Sure, Steve could have sought him out. But it was on Dan to take steps to get on the ticket if that is what he wanted.

But his refusal to do so speaks volumes (as does his choice to run with Healy).

Posted on: 2013/5/3 17:25
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/8 1:12
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
Claim: Led the effort to have Jersey City adopt thenPay to Play ordinances, the toughest ethics reforms in NJ.

Reality: was part of a group of many people who tried valiantly but ultimately it was Fulop who got it done.

Reality is that CivicJC did all of the REAL work in seeing the need for the reform, setting up meetings with other groups to learn how to write the reform so it would stand up in courts, and then finding a Council person to introduce it. Then Fulop worked with CivicJC on the last mile to get it introduced. Nothing Fulop did got the other Council members to vote on it. It passed because of the fallout from the Dwek sting, and because if the Council didn't address it, CivicJC would next work to make it a ballot issue that the voters of JC would vote on in the coming election.

Fulop could have really promoted the unglamorous work that the volunteers of CivicJC did to write the reform, as a way to encourage other citizens of JC to also become more politically active because here was a shining example that all of your work can actually cause change, but instead he used CivicJC's reform effort solely to promote himself and get some publicity.

I'm glad the reform did pass, but it was an opportunity lost on Fulops part to encourage people to participate in reforming their government.

Not endorsing Dan Levin for Ward E is another lost opportunity for Fulop. It clearly shows Fulop's emotions and ego cripple his thinking. Look at it this way. If Fulop was a manager at a private sector company and he chose someone for a position just because they were the only one that asked him nicely for it, he would have been fired immediately.
The position should have been filled by the person with the best track record of accomplishment, and most experience. If that person is not afraid to tell you they disagree with you at times then all the better.

I hope Fulop can learn from this.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Levin is funny - he insists on all the credit for pay to play in a "I invented it sort of way." There really is nothing original in what he proposes (or any of the candidates, for that matter.) It's not about inventing ideas, it's about getting things done - which Fulop has done and Candice does. There is a pretty big disconnect between many of the accomplishments Levin claims, such as:

Claim: "Worked with city officials to create more than 30 miles of bicycle lanes, which will be installed throughout Jersey City in the summer of 2013."

Reality: after four years, four blocks of bike lanes exist in the city - although I did see (as part of Healy's Spendapalooza leading up to the election) some bike lane action yesterday so who knows? Maybe we will end up with a full mile by May 14.

Claim: Led the effort to have Jersey City adopt thenPay to Play ordinances, the toughest ethics reforms in NJ.

Reality: was part of a group of many people who tried valiantly but ultimately it was Fulop who got it done.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 11:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Well last night at the debate Healy, who has and continues to block pay to play reform, stated that it wasn't Steve who brought pay to play to Jersey City, but Dan Levin who is on his ticket. Thereby taking credit for pay to play reform.

We all know that Dan was a major force in the original reform , but it was Councilman Fulop along with Civic JC that brought about reform.

I get that this has nothing to do with Dan, but we all knew that Dan joining the ticket would turn into Healy's "get out of jail" card so he could pass go and collect another $200.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 11:28
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/19 0:53
Group:
Registered Users
Just a reminder that as we look at the Dwek Ads and the phoney press releases from Healy about law suits against Fulop. The Robo calls of Lies and the destruction of Fulop signs downtown that Dan is still trying to run his campaign like an independent but using the Healy Machine to push him Forward.
Why no Levin/Healy Lit.or signs? Why not speak out about the Vandalisim of Fulop signs.

Lay down with dogs and ..............

Posted on: 2013/5/3 3:09

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/16 21:05
Group:
Registered Users
http://onejerseycity.com/?page_id=1783

My name is Dan Levin and I am running for Ward E City Council (ballot position 3C) in the May 14th municipal election. I have lived in downtown Jersey City with my wife since 1996, and our two children attend our public schools. For 10 years I owned and operated a small art framing business in Hoboken, giving me an understanding of the needs and challenges of small business owners.

Enacting positive change has driven my work as an activist in downtown Jersey City. I have served with neighborhood associations and community groups, working with residents, city administrators, and elected officials to create change. As councilman, I will work effectively with everyone in our community to deliver results and create a downtown that every Jersey City resident can embrace.

During my time as president of the Harsimus Cove Association, we spearheaded the creation of the hugely successful multi-use plaza at the Grove Street Path Station. This plaza now regularly hosts a farmers market, art market, and live entertainment.

I was a founding board member of the Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy, which landmarked the Powerhouse and worked towards redeveloping it into an arts district. I also founded and led as president the good government organization Civic JC that created, developed, and led the effort to have Jersey City adopt the Contracting and Redevelopment Pay-to-Play ordinances ? the toughest ethics reforms in the state.

I co-founded Bike JC, which organizes the Jersey City Ward Tour; every year 700 bicyclists ride through all six wards. We also worked with the city to develop a bike lane plan, which will be implemented this summer. Not only will this provide bicyclists with a safe place on our streets, but it will reduce speeding. Most recently, I worked with the city to have the Liberty State Park footbridge that was damaged by Hurricane Sandy replaced by FEMA.

I care about what happens next in Jersey City.

As councilman, I will work for a sustainable future and support environmental initiatives that will mitigate flooding. I will help create a more vibrant downtown, expanding cultural ordinances so that small businesses can host live entertainment. I will prioritize the realization of the 6th St. Embankment as open park space and work for a black box theater space because I believe these are essential to the future of downtown and an asset to all residents of Jersey City.

I will continue to fight for sensible spending and good government practices, including reforming the insurance procurement process and implementing an open appointment process for the city?s 40 boards, authorities, and commissions.

As our city grows, we need to create more public communal spaces from plazas to parks to libraries. Like Village Park on First Street, I will make use of private-public partnerships and outside grant monies to bring needed open space to our neighborhoods.

Simply put, I want to get things done and I will do the best I can to make your life in Jersey City better.

Sincerely,

Daniel Levin
Candidate for Ward E Council

Posted on: 2013/4/30 14:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/28 0:17
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JTaylor wrote:
Although I no longer reside Downtown...
I met Dan through various community-based volunteer activities after moving back to Jersey City in the late 1990s.

Dan, like his new mentor Jerry Healy, must be glad to have another endorsement from someone who can't vote for him.

Having watched Mr. Levin and the Council in action for some time, I don't think he would do so well as an elected leader. His inability to get his own campaigns off the ground speaks to the relative weakness of his base support and would compromise his ability on the Council.

If you liked him as an activist, keep liking him in that role and vote for another Councilperson. As a politician, his choice of allies (Team Healy) has been poor and his SILENCE on issues where they're wrong suggests that AS A POLITICIAN he is not an independent voice.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 13:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JTaylor wrote:
...He was instrumental and shares credit for solid reform measures, specifically the pay-to-play reform championed by Ward E Councilman Steve Fulop, with whom he closely worked to get the legislation passed.

LYCEL P. VILLANUEVA

JERSEY CITY

I'm sure it was certainly not intended (sarcasm) but your letter links Mr. Levin to Mr. Fulop instead of to Mayor Healy. Mr. Levin is on the Healy ticket. Mr. Levin tried to weaken pay to play when he linked up with the Healy machine. All that said Dan Levin is a decent guy.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 13:30
I'm not perfect.....but I'm not all bad either.

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/14 1:51
Group:
Registered Users
Letter: Levin knows how Jersey City works
Letters to the Editor/The Jersey Journal

As May 14 approaches, the election that can potentially transform our city, I'm taking this opportunity to urge my fellow Jersey City residents in Ward E to consider Daniel Levin as their councilman. Although I no longer reside Downtown, I still am well-rooted personally through close friends, and as a concerned Downtown property owner.

I met Dan through various community-based volunteer activities after moving back to Jersey City in the late 1990s. Through the years, I've gotten to know him quite well and been often astounded by his unwavering commitment and dedication to this city.

Dan is a devoted family man and those who know him recognize that his concern for his family's well-being transcends the confines of their home, into the social and urban fabric to which they contribute. His children attend their district public school, School 33/Cordero, transferring some years back out of a successful charter school that relocated farther away in a different ward.

He is a persevering voice in making his neighborhood better. We were neighbors Downtown and I witnessed Dan's decision-making as former board members of the Harsimus Cove Association, for which he served multiple terms. We did not (and still do not) always agree on everything, but his judgment has always been grounded, thoughtful and perceptive. True to form, his commitment isn't constrained by his immediate neighborhood's boundaries. He spends countless hours actively supporting many community-based groups throughout the city -- he realizes that grassroots causes enrich our city for everyone's benefit. It should be noted that he played a key role in establishing various nonprofit advocacy organizations such as Civic JC, Bike JC as well as the JC Landmarks Conservancy, on whose board I currently serve.

Dan's activist experience has made him quite familiar with the City Council as a governing mechanism. He is the "go-to" activist regarding local issues for many of us too bogged down by everyday life. He has been vocal through the years but remains respectful of our city's legislative body. He was instrumental and shares credit for solid reform measures, specifically the pay-to-play reform championed by Ward E Councilman Steve Fulop, with whom he closely worked to get the legislation passed.

I sincerely believe that having Dan serve in an official capacity on the council is a move in the right direction for Jersey City.

LYCEL P. VILLANUEVA

JERSEY CITY

Posted on: 2013/4/25 11:48

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Coffee Chats ? Week of April 22

Every week, Dan will be at various coffee shops and cafes downtown in the mornings. Feel free to stop by, have a chat, and voice any concerns you have about downtown Jersey City. The schedule will change week to week. Email joanna@onejerseycity.org for more information.

Monday ? April 22

9 A.M. to 10 A.M.
Dames
581 Jersey Ave.

Wednesday ? April 24

9 A.M. to 10 A.M.
Choc-o-Pain
Jersey Ave

Friday ? April 26

9 A.M. to 10 A.M.
Legal Grounds
170 Grand St.

Posted on: 2013/4/22 12:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JTaylor wrote:
[quote]
I ask our city council to speedily approve and adopt Ordinance 12-157, proposed by Mayor Healy and based on a comprehensive set of recommendations from The Citizens Campaign and Civic JC, to become effective after next spring?s municipal elections. This would take the elections out of the picture and avoid politicization of the issue.

Ahh, the ordinance that doesnt address wheeling is the strong/conservative ordinance? Oh, and why wait to stop pay-to-play/wheeling when 95% of fundraising during the 4 year cycle is being conducted... we wouldn't want to hamper my slate's ability to raise quid-pro-quo cash for our campaign would we?

Posted on: 2013/4/19 20:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MND wrote:
Perhaps the NJ Attorney General(Christie) had enough to insure himself the gubernatorial election in November and that's why he backed off.

Isn't 100 years of corruption enough?

I think you are hitting the nail on the head.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 20:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

LimpiarElSucio wrote:
Corruption is only able to be prosecuted (and therefore a crime by your definition) if it is, using your term, "baited."

That?s so blatantly false that it isn?t worth discussing.

Really? So how else is evidence gathered? Financial records maybe? what brings about the subpoena for those records? Do you think white collar criminals show up to the AG/DOJ office and say "hey, I heard you guys suspected that I was involved in a crime so, instead of doing the little dance where you try to catch me in the act on camera, lets cut to the chase... here is all the evidence you need against me. should i turn around for the handcuffs? or do you guys typically like to put the cuffs on in front?"

Posted on: 2013/4/19 20:24

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MND wrote:
Perhaps the NJ Attorney General(Christie) had enough to insure himself the gubernatorial election in November and that's why he backed off.

Open Letter to the Jersey City Municipal Council

Dear Councilmembers:

I am writing you as a longtime advocate for good-government practices and pay-to-play reform.

Civic JC, a group that I founded and led as president, worked with The Citizens Campaign and Diana Jeffrey, then of NJ Appleseed, to create and advance Jersey City?s Contractor and Redevelopment Pay-to-Play Reform Ordinances adopted in 2008 and 2009. The reforms are contract-based and attempt to remove conflicts of interest and any appearance of such conflicts in the granting of no-bid contracts.

These reform ordinances have been successful, and have not been subject to dismantling, because they were not just tough but incorporated the best practices from around the state.

Based on past experience, I continue to support the conservative, yet effective approach of The Citizens Campaign to ensure that our Jersey City pay-to-play restrictions remain among the toughest in New Jersey by being strict, straightforward and easy to enforce.

Now, after three years, we are seeing a renewed and worthwhile effort to revisit, update and expand our pay-to-play reform laws.

I ask our city council to speedily approve and adopt Ordinance 12-157, proposed by Mayor Healy and based on a comprehensive set of recommendations from The Citizens Campaign and Civic JC, to become effective after next spring?s municipal elections. This would take the elections out of the picture and avoid politicization of the issue.

Thank you,

Daniel Levin
Founder and past president of Civic JC
Candidate for Jersey City Municipal Council
November 20th, 2012 | Category: Budget / Spending / Property Taxes, Ethics Reform, News

Posted on: 2013/4/19 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/1 17:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MightyOz wrote:

Isn't the point not about who's offended, but by what it reveals about Healy's attitude to most of the city?

He claims to be able to do the best job for everyone - but when he's among his loyal followers it's straight US vs THEM.

And he acts the same way as Mayor. His actual agenda is to care about the developers, the county pols, the HCDO faithful. For everybody else he'll show up to your event and sing a song, but forget it when it comes to funding or legislation or keeping a sound eye on the budget.

I can't get how anybody would try to defend or explain this one away. It's not just Healy's dis of newcomers - it's the way this translates into how his administration functions.

It also speaks to his character and the strength of his case for re-election. The interloper comment should be viewed in the context of telling the teachers and firefighters that they will lose their jobs if Fulop wins. Anyone so willing to use fear and misinformation to win doesn't deserve to.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 18:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/8 22:31
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/4/19 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LimpiarElSucio wrote:
If a murder happens but nobody was around to see it... did the victim die?

If the culprit, or evidence that links him or her to the crime, cannot be found, can anyone be charged?

Quote:

LimpiarElSucio wrote:
Corruption is only able to be prosecuted (and therefore a crime by your definition) if it is, using your term, "baited."

That?s so blatantly false that it isn?t worth discussing.

Getting back to the subject of mudslinging, the question you might ask yourself is: Would Steven have accused Jerramiah of allowing Leona to ?take the fall? if he really thought sending an old lady to prison for a non-violent crime was just? I certainly don?t. Do you?

Now good luck to Dan and Candice.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 16:03

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 12 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact