Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Pls. Consider Rolando Lavarro for Council-At-Large on Nov. 8th

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/8 23:57
Group:
Registered Users
One more hour to vote for Lavarro!!

Posted on: 2011/11/8 23:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/4 17:04
Group:
Registered Users
Dear Residents,

We, Pam Andes and Shelley Skinner, are reaching out to you as Jersey City parents and concerned residents. On Tuesday, November 8, please vote for Rolando Lavarro for Jersey City Council-At-Large ? 12C ? and urge your family and friends to do the same.

Through our involvement in community organizing and local government, we understand how important the upcoming elections are as it will significantly impact the quality of life of ours and countless families across the City.

The stakes are too high and we need to elect a representative who has the ability to listen to our concerns, can work and has worked across communities, can bring innovative ideas to our budget woes and legislative priorities, can hit the ground running inside and outside the Council Chambers, is
imbued with integrity and has only the interests of the people of Jersey City in mind. That person is Rolando Lavarro.

Rolando comes from an immigrant family who migrated in the late 60s and helped build a community particularly in the Greenville section. Back then, when his parents were establishing a medical practice and raising Rolando and his siblings, they were subjected to corruption by a city worker who was extorting money in exchange for city approvals. His parents wouldn?t stand for this and blew the whistle on a corrupt city worker. It was early in his life when Rolando learned how public servants can directly affect ordinary people?s lives and that they should be held accountable to the highest standards.

Rolando graduated from New York University and had opportunities to take more lucrative professions. What does he do? He became a community organizer and a public servant. He fought for veterans rights; organized communities to clean-up and protect their neighborhoods; designed and implemented programs for youth, families, and seniors; and worked and volunteered for a number of small non-profits. He served as Aide to former Jersey City Councilwoman Mary Donnelly and as Director of Constituent Services for then Assemblyman (now Senator) Robert Gordon of Bergen County. He currently works in New Jersey City University, bringing in much needed additional funding to support our academic institution as we face very difficult economic realities.

Rolando still lives in Greenville, with his wife and 22-month old daughter, where his parents planted their family roots and where he is now raising his own family. Rolando will do the right thing and serve people of Jersey City well as we personally know that he has and he can.

We urge you to vote for Rolando Lavarro ? 12C ? for Council-At-Large. Thank you for your attention and support.

Shelley Skinner
Co-founder of Jersey Families for Better Schools
Board of Learning Community Charter School
Education advocate for Jersey City
Better Education for Kids, Deputy Director

Pam (Patricia) Andes
City of Jersey City Council Aide
Co-founder of Downtown JC Watch
Trustee/Former Board Member, Harsimus Cove
PS#5 (on Merseles Street) parent
Member of JC Coalition of Parent Teachers Org.
Loving wife and mother of 3 children

Posted on: 2011/11/8 14:14

Re: Your Vote Can Make a Difference
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/19 13:36
Group:
Registered Users
Well, case in point, Corzine. Recent events prove he was nothing more than a corrupt incompetent tool, and he was Governor while literally sleeping with labor leaders (well, his relationship with at least one labor-leading w$*#e has been well documented). Quote:

borisp wrote:
Ditto.

Why would we ever elect a pro-union guy to represent OUR interests in negotiations with unions?

Posted on: 2011/11/8 12:07

Re: November 8th, Special Election Issues
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/12 0:02
Group:
Registered Users
Oh, I forgot to add: Good luck dealing with them!

Posted on: 2011/11/8 5:13

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Not sure, sorry. Your name MAY not yet be on the roster at your new polling station & you'd probably need to use a "provisional ballot" there. I believe the polls are open from 6am to 8pm, but I don't know when the Division of Election office opens. Calling them first, if it works with your schedule, is likely the best option & will probably save you a trip between your old & new polling places.

Posted on: 2011/11/8 5:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Ditto.

Why would we ever elect a pro-union guy to represent OUR interests in negotiations with unions?

Posted on: 2011/11/8 4:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_SOS wrote:
I assume you "moved five blocks" within the city. You should still be able to vote but you probably won't be allowed to use the machine & may have to use a "provisional ballot". You may confirm the procedure with the Hudson County Division of Elections tomorrow (201) 369-3470 Option 6.
http://www.hudsoncountyclerk.org/elections/default.htm

Yes, I moved within JC. Do I try to vote at my old polling place or a new one?

Posted on: 2011/11/8 4:41

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
To FakeGreenDress: << I just moved five blocks. Yesterday I got the mailer about the elections folks having been informed of my address change, and that all I have to do to vote is mail the card back to confirm -- but it has to be at least 21 days before the next election. Obviously it's a bit late for that! Is there any way I can still vote? >> I assume you "moved five blocks" within the city. You should still be able to vote but you probably won't be allowed to use the machine & may have to use a "provisional ballot". You may confirm the procedure with the Hudson County Division of Elections tomorrow (201) 369-3470 Option 6. http://www.hudsoncountyclerk.org/elections/default.htm

Posted on: 2011/11/8 4:30

Webmaster
Webmaster

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/25 12:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Webmasters

Posted on: 2011/11/8 2:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/19 13:36
Group:
Registered Users
It saddens me that this \"candidate\" is teaching our children. Aside from the horrible sentence construction and the typos in his past and current rants, his staunch support of the unions shows that he is absolutely 100% NOT independent, but rather another union tool, whether he realizes it or not. I question his ability to even comprehend the complex issues that face us.

I know that this is a bastion for Democrats, but please Jersey City, let\'s not vote for the lowest common denominator. I am not advocating for anyone here, but this is definitely not the one to mend the Council of the Healy Team\'s corrupt ways.

Mr. Youssef, for the future, you were looking for the word \"choose\", not chose, get it? This is an on-line forum, and language/spelling rules are not generally that important. We all make mistakes. However, you put yourself out for public office, and tout yourself as an Educator. Your repeated errors show either a lack of education (problem) or a lack of due diligence (even more disturbing).

Posted on: 2011/11/8 1:35

Re: Three members of Jersey City City Council snub forum
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Those "small room of people" are leaders in their community, some representing hundreds or thousands of folks.

I have my own choices but hope whoever you vote for you deny voting for these three JCDO/HCDO candidates.

Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
Ms. Ahmad is all over Facebook talking about "sitting on your butt talking to a small room of people isn't how you win elections." How would she know what it takes to win an election since this is her first? For all their talk about "making a difference", Velazquez and Ahmad have proven to be anything but "different". They have followed, to a letter, the HCDO playbook on campaigning and have been ideal rubber stamps for the mayor. The biggest accomplishment they've produced is removing any doubt whatsoever that the council could function as well or better with seven members instead of nine.

Posted on: 2011/11/8 0:00
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Your Vote Can Make a Difference
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/24 11:45
Group:
Registered Users
Dear Editor:

There is no doubt of what has been happening in City Hall the past six years, which raises many questions among the Jersey City residents and voters. Will the answer to all these questions be cleared in [tomorrow's] election results? I encourage all Jersey City voters to vote because our city is in need of reform. Remember that every vote counts and indeed your vote can make a difference. I believe the election on November 8, 2011 will be too close or neck to neck. So, please go out and vote for what you believe is right for our city.

It is not important which team you chose to be with but it is essential that you vote for what you believe. Let?s practice great democracy to bring the change we are all looking for within our city. Jersey City is a great city and it could be better if all of us decided we really need the change. So, please vote for the right people and let?s move forward to a brighter future.

Respectfully,

Nabil Youssef
At Large Council Candidate (17 E)
Jersey City

http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... te-can-make-a-difference/

Posted on: 2011/11/7 22:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/8 1:12
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
I have heard great things about you Pam! But as someone who actually lives in the ward that Richardson "represents" I would not be able to vote for anyone that could bracket with her. Actions count, not words.

Posted on: 2011/11/7 18:21

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/9 15:07
Group:
Registered Users
Say what you want about his decision to bracket with Ms. Richardson, but there is no doubt that Rolando is an honest man who would do an excellent job for the people of Jersey City. I urge all voters to give the man due consideration when going to the voting booth tomorrow.
I have seen him working in the community for many years now, whether it was trying to get kids off the street and away from the temptation of drugs, or cleaning those very streets and sidewalks so that business owners could attract more customers. He worked together with Fulop, O'Dea, Donnelly, and many others to bring bookbags and school supplies to thousands of kids the past two years. He's helped bring in millions of dollars to NJCU so that they have barely felt the effects of the economic downturn.
He gives his time and effort to this city in a way that few leaders can match. He's certainly out there working harder than any of the current council members.
That's why I'll be voting for Rolando tomorrow. For the benefit of everyone in this city, so desperate for real leadership and civic commitment, I urge you all to do the same.

Posted on: 2011/11/7 17:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City At-Large Candidate Forum, Ferris HS 11-2-11 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36U8yxKJQKE

Posted on: 2011/11/6 20:05

Re: Final Candidate Forum TONIGHT Nov 2 2011
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
So I have a bit of a strange election-related question:

I just moved five blocks. Yesterday I got the mailer about the elections folks having been informed of my address change, and that all I have to do to vote is mail the card back to confirm -- but it has to be at least 21 days before the next election. Obviously it's a bit late for that! Is there any way I can still vote?

Posted on: 2011/11/6 15:58

Re: Teacher for City Council Nabil Youssef (17 E )
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
I sure do hate it when I can't surmount the difference.

Posted on: 2011/11/6 0:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Chakotay wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:JClisters are a pretty well informed bunch of folks. They can read a resume. But they/we are more interested in what a candidate WILL DO, over what they have done.

Personally, I'm not going to vote for any candidate, just because they, and anyone else, say they have "done stuff".

Yes, we need candidates with no resume, experience or accomplishments. That makes sense.

We need a candidate with both a resume and a vision.

Posted on: 2011/11/3 22:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/8 14:23
Group:
Registered Users
You don't have to vote for both, just Rolando. Many are voting Rolando Lavarro and Dan Levin.

I wasn't happy about the bracketing but the truth is that there has to be a bridge with the "others" -- people who are new to reform in JC and still old school. Richardson is breaking up with the Old School band. What will happen in 2013? Will the "others" go away? disappear? move? quit their civil servant jobs?

There has to be a bridge.

Posted on: 2011/11/3 21:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/14 15:59
From 07304
Group:
Registered Users
+1 on teaming up with Viola lost my vote.

Posted on: 2011/11/3 20:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/8 14:23
Group:
Registered Users
Funny Chakotay.

When I've met with Rolando Lavarro and other reformers, we've agreed that there are too many tax abatements being overused in the downtown area. He thinks that they can be used as their intended purpose (to encourage economic development) in other areas of Jersey City. Therefore real income can come into the city through the established downtown area and real economic development can occur in other areas of Jersey City.

At one of the Council meetings, he discussed why the budget process didn't allow the public or city council sufficient time to see the proposed budget. It's unprepared, unprofessional, and leads the public and government officials a sense of urgency to approve or else.

For me, I am interested in seeing a candidate bring money in (thus lower my taxes) and create jobs through economic development.

At any rate, I do believe that work/community experience and knowledge of Jersey City is very important. And I am a strong believer of community organization and its value in Jersey City.

BTW, that Pam Andes is super smart.

Posted on: 2011/11/3 20:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/13 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Ahmad and Velazquez showed up at the first debate and haven't been at any debate since. Their performance at the first debate was so abysmal that the Healy people knew they couldn't be allowed to be at any others.

Neither one can defend the Healy record of failure. No one could.

Posted on: 2011/11/3 20:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Ms. Ahmad is all over Facebook talking about "sitting on your butt talking to a small room of people isn't how you win elections." How would she know what it takes to win an election since this is her first? For all their talk about "making a difference", Velazquez and Ahmad have proven to be anything but "different". They have followed, to a letter, the HCDO playbook on campaigning and have been ideal rubber stamps for the mayor. The biggest accomplishment they've produced is removing any doubt whatsoever that the council could function as well or better with seven members instead of nine.

Posted on: 2011/11/3 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/13 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Velazquez and Ahmad are a disgrace. But what else would you expect from Team Healy ?

Posted on: 2011/11/3 19:25

Re: Campaign Mailer for Jersey City At-Large Candidates Claims No Layoffs Despite 366 Pink Slips

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/9 15:07
Group:
Registered Users
The HCDO is not going to spend a dime making a correction like that, Riaz. They made a conscious decision to disseminate lies throughout the city, and they are sticking with it.
It's just too bad their isn't a Better Business Bureau for political campaigns. If there were, Ahmad, Velazquez and Perez would all be shut down.
Unfortunately, there's only one way to shut 'em down: vote 'em out on Nov 8th. Do anything you can to increase turnout. The more people vote, the less chance the incumbents have of winning.

Posted on: 2011/11/3 18:31

Re: Campaign Mailer for Jersey City At-Large Candidates Claims No Layoffs Despite 366 Pink Slips
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
You're joking, right Riaz?

Posted on: 2011/11/3 18:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 19:33
Group:
Registered Users
Did anyone receive a corrected mailer from team Ahmad/Velazquez or a phone call ?

Posted on: 2011/11/3 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
They would act as a distraction causing a disruption and frequent outbursts during the debate. It is probably better they did not show. We already know their mission.

Posted on: 2011/11/3 16:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/21 19:34
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Ahmad and Velasquez, being the parrots of the Healy administration who don't do anything that Chief of Staff Rosemary McFadden doesn't tell them to do, have nothing to gain and everything to lose by opening their mouths about their "service" on the Municipal Council. Of course they don't show up. Any real debate on the issues ends up with them looking ineffectual, or worse, part and parcel to the general incompetence that cripples Jersey City's public offices.

Posted on: 2011/11/3 15:15

Three members of Jersey City City Council snub forum
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Published: Thursday, November 03, 2011, 3:02 AM

By TERRENCE T. McDONALD
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

The no-shows were the talk of last night?s forum for candidates in next week?s Jersey City special election for at-large council seats.

The at-large incumbents Kalimah Ahmad and Ray Velazquez were both absent, as was Ward F Councilwoman Viola Richardson, who is trying to grab one of the two at-large chairs on the nine-member council.

?I find it disgraceful that the two supposedly leading candidates aren?t here tonight,? said candidate Richard Boggiano, a retired police officer, to applause from the crowd at Ferris High School.

After attending one of the first of several candidate forums held this campaign season, Ahmad and Velazquez have skipped the rest. Candidate Sue Mack, a Board of Education member, said she thinks the candidates? repeated absences are telling.

?I believe that we can now say this is a strategy for the incumbents not to attend public meetings,? Mack said. ?They believe it?s a done deal.?

The two-hour forum attracted about 80 members of the public.

The winners in Tuesday?s contest will replace former council members Mariano Vega, who resigned in September 2010 after pleading guilty to corruption charges, and Willie Flood, who stepped down in February 2011, citing health concerns. Twelve of the 17 candidates in the election attended last night?s event.

The candidates didn?t stray too far from their campaign playbooks last night. Gov. Chris Christie was the target of a number of attacks, as was Mayor Jerramiah Healy.

?The biggest area where the mayor is failing is attitude and direction,? said candidate Ihor Ed Ciolko, a retired city inspector. ?We?re spending entirely too much time worrying about license plates on cars.?

Questions from the audience focused mostly on hyper-local issues, such as tax abatements, which candidates said they oppose with some exceptions.

The four candidates who were asked said they haven?t accepted campaign cash from Spectra Energy, the Houston energy giant hoping to build a natural gas pipeline through parts of Jersey City.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... ers_of_jersey_city_c.html

Posted on: 2011/11/3 15:01

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017