Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
47 user(s) are online (36 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 47

more...


Forum Index


Board index » All Posts (williepnewton)




Re: New Heights Eatery
#1
Newbie
Newbie


This place is great. Eaten here three times in the pat five days
(including lunch today). Family run and the food is literally cooked to order so it always fresh.

Pretty affordable too. I didnt know I liked Eastern European food until this place opened.

Support it so they stay open! Its a great change of pace from all the Latin food (as much as I love Latin food).

Posted on: 2013/2/20 20:10
 Top 


Re: Police are confronted by a mob in the Heights
#2
Newbie
Newbie


Quote:

LimpiarElSucio wrote:
Healy, Gaughan and who?

Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:

Where the hell have you been? The Heights is rife with gangs, drugs & wannabes. Been like this for last 10 years. It's surprising considering the 3 top dogs in the city/county live within walking distance of each other.


County Exec Tom Degise.


Posted on: 2013/2/13 19:47
 Top 


Re: Petition to reconsider Pulaski Skyway closure
#3
Newbie
Newbie


"One of the four-lane expressways that feed into the Holland Tunnel, the Pulaski Skyway, is nearing the end of its life. This expensive steel structure has contributed to the destruction of the sensitive Hackensack Meadowlands since 1932. Naturally, there is a plan to rebuild the structure, and lots of rehabilitation in the meantime. Remember the ARC Tunnel that Chris Christie killed? $1.8 billion of the money is paying for that rehabilitation.

Some people like the way the Skyway looks - from a distance, or from the inside of a moving car, at least. I admit that it has a certain beauty to it. But its function is destructive. If there were some way to turn it into a dedicated busway, that might be nice, but I don't get the impression it would work. If we like the look, let's keep a small piece of it up somewhere for posterity's sake, but don't hold people's lives hostage to aesthetics.

In sum, we're diverting more than a billion dollars from critical transit improvements to maintain a road that blasts 30,000 cars a day (yes, only cars) into one of the densest, most walkable business districts in the country. If this thing were towering over a neighborhood instead of a swamp, it would definitely be on the CNU's list. Is it any less deserving of a teardown because it only saturates the area with cars?"


http://capntransit.blogspot.com/2012/ ... ay-different-freeway.html

Posted on: 2013/2/12 17:10
 Top 


Re: Please clean up your dog poop...
#4
Newbie
Newbie


We should start some kind of system where people take photos of offenders and their dogs (surveillance systems or from upstairs windows) and put them on a tumblr or some kind of online most wanted list.

Shame them into picking up their dog poop. The Heights (especially the North-South thoroughfares) is a disaster area.

Every time I walk out of my house in the morning there are four to five fresh piles.

Posted on: 2013/2/5 17:55
 Top 


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#5
Newbie
Newbie


Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

williepnewton wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

williepnewton wrote:

2A. HeightsBrat doesnt seem to realize that Hoboken's Mean Family Income is 174k a year. Jersey City's is 84k.

2B. Median Household income in Hoboken is $102k a year. Jersey City's is $57k.

That's a 45%-52% difference in income levels between Hoboken and Jersey City. So you can imagine how much more disposable income is in Hoboken to support luxury stores as compared to the Heights. If you like Hoboken so much, you should move there.


Downtown Jersey City and Newport areas mean family income IS NOT 57k. DTJC and Newport have as much in common with other areas of JC like GV as Midtown Manhattan does with the Bronx.

Please stop applying these nonsense stats to DTJC and Newport. It's quite offensive.


Your beef is with the US Census Bureau, buddy. For whatever reason they still consider Newport and Downtown to be part of Jersey City. Though, I bet if you want, you could do a little work on your own and find the income stats for those neighborhood subgroups and quote them for all to see.

But back to the point at hand; your laziness offends me, though not nearly as much as the tasteless new urbanist architectural monstrosity of Newport does.


Are you debating that newport, and dtjc have higher median incomes than areas of JC like GV? I think you have more common sense than that. I don't waste my time giving supporting facts to simple questions like "what is 1+1?"

Just use non misleading appropriate facts next time is all I'm asking.

Newport might offend your eyes now but maybe if you made more money, you would adjust to it.



The fact remains, if you had better taste you would live in Brooklyn or maybe even Battery Park. Instead you live in a bland vertical suburb where Chili's is the nearest restaurant/bar. Congrats?

Posted on: 2013/1/29 19:15
 Top 


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#6
Newbie
Newbie


Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
The Bronx is a borough of NYC but no one clumps it together with manhattan when income is involved.

He used the point to demonstrate how JC is unlike Hoboken and some parts of JC are very much UNLIKE Hoboken but DTJC and Newport are very much like Hoboken.

I'm just calling out people for using misleading stats.

Look user, I know you live in GV. But when I state facts about GV, like median income is much lower than DTJC and Newport - why are you offended? I'm just stating FACTS. who doesn't live in reality now?


If you had actually read what I wrote, you would realize that your point only serves to strengthen mine. You would also realize that no one was talking about Downtown. The comparison was initially between the Heights and Hoboken. Even without accounting for obvious income differences between the various neighborhoods of Jersey City, Jersey City still lags way behind Hoboken in household and per capita income. There was nothing misleading about it.

Also, eff off. You're both stupid and lazy, a toxic combination of qualities in any potential conversation.

Also, for the record, the zip code 07307 has a median household income of $54k and a mean household income of 68k, so the earlier point about the Heights vs. Hoboken stands.

Posted on: 2013/1/29 19:03
 Top 


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#7
Newbie
Newbie


Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

williepnewton wrote:

2A. HeightsBrat doesnt seem to realize that Hoboken's Mean Family Income is 174k a year. Jersey City's is 84k.

2B. Median Household income in Hoboken is $102k a year. Jersey City's is $57k.

That's a 45%-52% difference in income levels between Hoboken and Jersey City. So you can imagine how much more disposable income is in Hoboken to support luxury stores as compared to the Heights. If you like Hoboken so much, you should move there.


Downtown Jersey City and Newport areas mean family income IS NOT 57k. DTJC and Newport have as much in common with other areas of JC like GV as Midtown Manhattan does with the Bronx.

Please stop applying these nonsense stats to DTJC and Newport. It's quite offensive.


Your beef is with the US Census Bureau, buddy. For whatever reason they still consider Newport and Downtown to be part of Jersey City. Though, I bet if you want, you could do a little work on your own and find the income stats for those neighborhood subgroups and quote them for all to see.

But back to the point at hand; your laziness offends me, though not nearly as much as the tasteless new urbanist architectural monstrosity of Newport does.

Posted on: 2013/1/29 18:47
 Top 


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#8
Newbie
Newbie


1. MisterHeights is making things up. Pray tell, which businesses exactly think the SID is a waste of money?
2A. HeightsBrat doesnt seem to realize that Hoboken's Mean Family Income is 174k a year. Jersey City's is 84k.

2B. Median Household income in Hoboken is $102k a year. Jersey City's is $57k.

That's a 45%-52% difference in income levels between Hoboken and Jersey City. So you can imagine how much more disposable income is in Hoboken to support luxury stores as compared to the Heights. If you like Hoboken so much, you should move there.

3. Somebody, anybody, please name something Assemblyman Connors has accomplished besides showing up to occasional meetings, shaking hands and smiling a whole lot? His whole political life reeks of basic careerism, which is fine, but it doesn't qualify him to be councilman and it certainly doesn't mean he'll be a good one.

4. If anyone could be accused of thinking about their pockets when its comes to politics, its Sean Connors, who was correctly called a double dipping politician by Steve Fulop himself back in September.


Posted on: 2013/1/29 17:41
 Top 


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#9
Newbie
Newbie


1. Stop and Shop never owned the land so saying things like "they never requested an abatement" are useless because the process never got far enough for details like that to be worked out.
2. The Heights has to by law build more schools (including a High School at some point). Kicking the can down the road in favor of a Stop & Shop some people might like (but that the neighborhood does not need) would be idiotic.
3. Of course the SID would fight a giant grocery store a half mile away. Just like neighborhood associations would fight a 40 foot condo building next to their 4 story walk up. Also, the Reservoir Preservation Alliance was against the Stop and Shop and the land was zoned for residential, not commercial. Ask the residents of Prospect how they felt about that Stop and Shop.
4. The options in the Heights are fine. There are several good delis on on Central. Tons of affordable veggie stores and another grocery store a half mile away (C-Town). Stop and Shop has almost everything you need. I buy stuff like Goat Cheese downtown or in NYC when I have the chance. This reminds me of people complaining about how its too hot when its 70 degrees out.

Posted on: 2013/1/25 5:18
 Top 


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#10
Newbie
Newbie


[/quote]

Interesting, why user1111 would you choose Mr. Yun over Det. Connors? Mr. Yun moved to Jersey City from Nutley about a year ago. Det. Connors has been here for years. [/quote]
I think Yun is use to a better quality of life coming from Nutley, and perhaps he can bring some of that to the Heights ... Connors is use to the same $HIT! Also Yun has been the most vocal of keeping the street sweepers, have not heard too much from Connors. [/quote]

Your argument makes no sense. And seeing as how Mr. Yun has been voting in Jersey City for the last 30 years......just saying. And like MDM has pointed out, Mr. Yun fought like hell against the new Stop and Shop which would have brought badly needed ratables. Mr. Yun's argument against the Stop and Shop was that it would kill business on Central Ave. What business pray tell? Also as head of the CASID he does play a part in promoting Central Ave. We have had in the neighborhood of 30 empty stores , some in excess of 10 years.

You need to make a better argument other than because he lived in Nutley & Connors is used to the same old same old. Many of us have lived here all our lives & are fighting like hell to improve things. [/quote]

You're kidding yourself if you think that Stop and Shop wouldnt have gotten a massive tax abatement. Plus, now its going to be built into a school that the City is required by law to build in the Heights.

Also, name something Connors has some besides jump around from team to team depending on who gives him the best chance to advance his career?

Posted on: 2013/1/24 2:18
 Top 


Re: Best Burger in JC
#11
Newbie
Newbie


Brightside's Moroccan Burger was pretty darn excellent.

Posted on: 2013/1/4 22:03
 Top 


Re: Property values in the Heights (post Sandy)
#12
Newbie
Newbie


Once the PATH is fully back in action it wont be that bad. As others have mentioned the Hoboken PATH station is a solid option late night, so is Journal Square. The cost of a cabs is still far cheaper than your rent would be anywhere in Manhattan and most parts of inner Brooklyn or Queens.

If you hate the Heights so much go back to New York. We have delicious inexpensive restaurants and some of the best pizzerias, chinese restaurants and delis in the the city. Sure, we could use a better grocery store (especially since the Hoboken Shoprite got destroyed by Sandy), but that will come with time.

Our neighborhood is no more a slum than lots of places in NYC proper. The only difference is transit and its not as bad as you all seem to think it is. In Chicago it took more than two hours to go halfway across the city. From the Heights I can be in Fort Greene, Long Island City, The Upper West Side or Alphabet City in less than that and I don't have to pay Manhattan rents. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 20:19
 Top 


Re: Richardson and Lavarro win two at-large seats in Jersey City special election
#13
Newbie
Newbie


In defense of Jersey City voters it wasn't like an overwhelming number of them chose Richardson or Lovarro. Rather the vote was split between 17 candidates and those with the strongest base pulled through. If either Levin, Boggiano or Mack had dropped out and put their support behind the one of the others that candidate likely would have pulled through. Yet, everyone stayed in the election and split the vote up to ensure that someone with a paltry number of votes (in this case Richardson and Lovarro) would pull through.

It is less the voters fault than people running bad campaigns and their egos preventing them from building a coalition of constituencies. This is how the machine stays in power.

Posted on: 2011/11/9 17:03
 Top 


Re: Three members of Jersey City City Council snub forum
#14
Newbie
Newbie


Ahmad and Velasquez, being the parrots of the Healy administration who don't do anything that Chief of Staff Rosemary McFadden doesn't tell them to do, have nothing to gain and everything to lose by opening their mouths about their "service" on the Municipal Council. Of course they don't show up. Any real debate on the issues ends up with them looking ineffectual, or worse, part and parcel to the general incompetence that cripples Jersey City's public offices.

Posted on: 2011/11/3 15:15
 Top 


Re: 99S Bus Service to be Eliminated Nov. 6?
#15
Newbie
Newbie


Since the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail services such a small percentage of Jersey City and Hudson County residents who don't live on the waterfront, Coach USA picked up a lot of the slack for connecting people who don't live in Downtown or Journal Square to New York City. Without this infrastructure we will see very quick drop-off in home prices and renters who work in Manhattan will quickly look elsewhere as getting to work every day becomes even more difficult.

From Greenville up to the Heights, you will see negative effects from the drop-off in transit service.

I would recommend that people begin to organize immediately and to contact their elected officials to let them know how crucial services like this are to the well-being of our neighborhoods: http://www.usa.gov/Contact/Elected.shtml

If NJ Transit doesn't fill the gap we'll have a major problem on our hands.

Posted on: 2011/10/6 15:35
 Top 



TopTop






Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017