Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
54 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 54

more...




Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users




(1) 2 »


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#44
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/2/20 18:20
Last Login :
11/4 19:55
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2632
Offline
Former Jersey City mayor claims council candidate lives in Montville

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
May 20, 2013 at 6:38 PM

A former Jersey City mayor, working as a surrogate for Ward D City Council candidate Assemblyman Sean Connors, is alleging that Connors? opponent in the June 11 council runoff election does not live in Jersey City.

Michael Yun, who runs Central Avenue store Garden State News, doesn?t deny that he owns a home in Montville, but Yun told The Jersey Journal his 27-year-old son lives there. Yun and his wife live in one of the two residential units above his store, he said.

In a field of four candidates, Yun finished in first place in the May 14 city election. Yun won 2,307 votes, and Connors came in second place with 1,833 votes. Because Yun didn?t win more than 50 percent of the vote, voters will choose between the two men on June 11.

Former Mayor Gerry McCann?s efforts to derail Yun?s candidacy over residency issues are ?dirty? and ?childish,? Yun said.

?This is a very unpleasant story,? he said.

The flap began on Sunday, when McCann visited Yun?s Montville home, which property records show is assessed at $859,600, and had a verbal altercation with Yun?s son, Benjamin. The younger Yun ended up filing a trespassing complaint against McCann.

McCann today filed a letter with the Superintendent of Elections listing his concerns about Yun?s residency, claiming that as late as March, another individual lived in the apartment Yun claims as his own.

Yun, who is registered to vote in Jersey City, said county election officials came to his store at about 2:30 p.m. and demanded to see the inside of his apartment.

Soon after, Yun allowed a reporter with The Jersey Journal to tour the third-floor apartment, where the closets were filled with clothes, there was food in the kitchen and two sets of slippers lay on the floor by the bedroom.

Yun campaign manager Cynthia Hadjiyannis said McCann?s campaign to get Yun disqualified from the June 11 race ?perfectly illustrates? why Yun is running.

?It?s this kind of crap that needs to change,? Hadjiyannis said.

McCann isn?t backing down from his claims about Yun?s residency.

"Here's a guy who sells pornography in his store, sells drug paraphernalia in his store with roach clips and rolling paper ... and then he's questioning me, that I'm harassing him?" McCann said.

McCann said he is not working in tandem with Mayor-elect Steve Fulop, who is backing Connors. Fulop campaign spokesman Bruno Tedeschi said Fulop?s focus is setting up his administration, ?not where Michael Yun lives.?

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... sey_city_mayor_claim.html

Posted on: 2013/5/21 2:23
 Top 


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#43
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/7/9 11:16
Last Login :
2021/11/30 0:49
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2491
Offline
I hold a strike against him for helping kill the Stop and Shop.

Other than that, I know nothing of the man. I would like from him (and any other candidate) at least three detailed proposals for improving Jersey City that he/she will put forth as a council member.


Posted on: 2013/1/31 17:39
 Top 


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#42
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/2/2 12:51
Last Login :
2020/3/10 19:26
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 22
Offline
This conversation is no better than a schoolyard argument about whos lunch is better. Me being a heights resident, I want to know what people think about Michael Yun.


Posted on: 2013/1/31 17:16
 Top 


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#41
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/12/12 0:13
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 756
Offline
Quote:

LimpiarElSucio wrote:
can this conversation be destroyed? its ridiculous...


Why? It's fun to expose the psuedo smart (williepnewton) for they are. You know buttons are being pushed when he tells someone to "eff" off.

Posted on: 2013/1/31 12:08
 Top 


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#40
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/12/12 0:13
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 756
Offline
Quote:

williepnewton wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
The Bronx is a borough of NYC but no one clumps it together with manhattan when income is involved.

He used the point to demonstrate how JC is unlike Hoboken and some parts of JC are very much UNLIKE Hoboken but DTJC and Newport are very much like Hoboken.

I'm just calling out people for using misleading stats.

Look user, I know you live in GV. But when I state facts about GV, like median income is much lower than DTJC and Newport - why are you offended? I'm just stating FACTS. who doesn't live in reality now?


If you had actually read what I wrote, you would realize that your point only serves to strengthen mine. You would also realize that no one was talking about Downtown. The comparison was initially between the Heights and Hoboken. Even without accounting for obvious income differences between the various neighborhoods of Jersey City, Jersey City still lags way behind Hoboken in household and per capita income. There was nothing misleading about it.

Also, eff off. You're both stupid and lazy, a toxic combination of qualities in any potential conversation.

Also, for the record, the zip code 07307 has a median household income of $54k and a mean household income of 68k, so the earlier point about the Heights vs. Hoboken stands.


Hey willie, let's talk about stupid. I wasn't talking about incomes when I brought up Hoboken. I was talking about reinvention & vision. At one time Hoboken was what a sump pump spewed from a basement. My parents were born & raised in Hoboken & many who lived there aspired to live on "the Hill'. Then Hoboken started reinventing itself & started attracting the people who live there today. But being lazy & stupid & ignorant of the area & history, well just go back & get a new answer from whomever is giving you your snarky answers because it doesn't change the fact that a lack of vision has kept Central Ave. & the surrounding area from improving itself.

Posted on: 2013/1/31 3:33
 Top 


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#39
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/10/12 12:58
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 258
Offline
can this conversation be destroyed? its ridiculous...

Posted on: 2013/1/30 19:23
 Top 


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#38
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/1/19 4:04
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 996
Offline
Quote:

williepnewton wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
The Bronx is a borough of NYC but no one clumps it together with manhattan when income is involved.

He used the point to demonstrate how JC is unlike Hoboken and some parts of JC are very much UNLIKE Hoboken but DTJC and Newport are very much like Hoboken.

I'm just calling out people for using misleading stats.

Look user, I know you live in GV. But when I state facts about GV, like median income is much lower than DTJC and Newport - why are you offended? I'm just stating FACTS. who doesn't live in reality now?


If you had actually read what I wrote, you would realize that your point only serves to strengthen mine. You would also realize that no one was talking about Downtown. The comparison was initially between the Heights and Hoboken. Even without accounting for obvious income differences between the various neighborhoods of Jersey City, Jersey City still lags way behind Hoboken in household and per capita income. There was nothing misleading about it.

Also, eff off. You're both stupid and lazy, a toxic combination of qualities in any potential conversation.

Also, for the record, the zip code 07307 has a median household income of $54k and a mean household income of 68k, so the earlier point about the Heights vs. Hoboken stands.


If you just said this:
the zip code 07307 has a median household income of $54k and a mean household income of 68k, so the earlier point about the Heights vs. Hoboken stands.

then everything would have been fine. I'm just pointing out the fact that you stated something that was misleading. I actually stand by your argument just not how you got there.

Your personal attacks about me make me sad. :(

btw, I also live in PH and yes, JC, even DTJC is not the best area to live in the northeast. However, I am man enough to admit that where I dream of living, a penthouse in the upper east side, is not affordable.

I don't lie to myself and say, "OMG I choose to live the most crime ridden area of a city because I have more disposable income." Please, people don't choose to get punched in groin area for fun. People don't choose to live in the worst part of the city unless they have run out of options.

Posted on: 2013/1/29 20:53
 Top 


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#37
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/1/11 18:21
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4960
Offline
Quote:

williepnewton wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

williepnewton wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

williepnewton wrote:

2A. HeightsBrat doesnt seem to realize that Hoboken's Mean Family Income is 174k a year. Jersey City's is 84k.

2B. Median Household income in Hoboken is $102k a year. Jersey City's is $57k.

That's a 45%-52% difference in income levels between Hoboken and Jersey City. So you can imagine how much more disposable income is in Hoboken to support luxury stores as compared to the Heights. If you like Hoboken so much, you should move there.


Downtown Jersey City and Newport areas mean family income IS NOT 57k. DTJC and Newport have as much in common with other areas of JC like GV as Midtown Manhattan does with the Bronx.

Please stop applying these nonsense stats to DTJC and Newport. It's quite offensive.


Your beef is with the US Census Bureau, buddy. For whatever reason they still consider Newport and Downtown to be part of Jersey City. Though, I bet if you want, you could do a little work on your own and find the income stats for those neighborhood subgroups and quote them for all to see.

But back to the point at hand; your laziness offends me, though not nearly as much as the tasteless new urbanist architectural monstrosity of Newport does.


Are you debating that newport, and dtjc have higher median incomes than areas of JC like GV? I think you have more common sense than that. I don't waste my time giving supporting facts to simple questions like "what is 1+1?"

Just use non misleading appropriate facts next time is all I'm asking.

Newport might offend your eyes now but maybe if you made more money, you would adjust to it.



The fact remains, if you had better taste you would live in Brooklyn or maybe even Battery Park. Instead you live in a bland vertical suburb where Chili's is the nearest restaurant/bar. Congrats?

I guess I like money way better than saying I live next to a great cafe. As of 2009 I have been renting one of my apt at 119 and Broadway near Columbia for 3.5k I will live well without being near a cafe.

Posted on: 2013/1/29 19:21
 Top 


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#36
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/10/6 15:27
Last Login :
2013/2/21 19:34
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 15
Offline
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

williepnewton wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

williepnewton wrote:

2A. HeightsBrat doesnt seem to realize that Hoboken's Mean Family Income is 174k a year. Jersey City's is 84k.

2B. Median Household income in Hoboken is $102k a year. Jersey City's is $57k.

That's a 45%-52% difference in income levels between Hoboken and Jersey City. So you can imagine how much more disposable income is in Hoboken to support luxury stores as compared to the Heights. If you like Hoboken so much, you should move there.


Downtown Jersey City and Newport areas mean family income IS NOT 57k. DTJC and Newport have as much in common with other areas of JC like GV as Midtown Manhattan does with the Bronx.

Please stop applying these nonsense stats to DTJC and Newport. It's quite offensive.


Your beef is with the US Census Bureau, buddy. For whatever reason they still consider Newport and Downtown to be part of Jersey City. Though, I bet if you want, you could do a little work on your own and find the income stats for those neighborhood subgroups and quote them for all to see.

But back to the point at hand; your laziness offends me, though not nearly as much as the tasteless new urbanist architectural monstrosity of Newport does.


Are you debating that newport, and dtjc have higher median incomes than areas of JC like GV? I think you have more common sense than that. I don't waste my time giving supporting facts to simple questions like "what is 1+1?"

Just use non misleading appropriate facts next time is all I'm asking.

Newport might offend your eyes now but maybe if you made more money, you would adjust to it.



The fact remains, if you had better taste you would live in Brooklyn or maybe even Battery Park. Instead you live in a bland vertical suburb where Chili's is the nearest restaurant/bar. Congrats?

Posted on: 2013/1/29 19:15
 Top 


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#35
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/1/11 18:21
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4960
Offline
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

williepnewton wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

williepnewton wrote:

2A. HeightsBrat doesnt seem to realize that Hoboken's Mean Family Income is 174k a year. Jersey City's is 84k.

2B. Median Household income in Hoboken is $102k a year. Jersey City's is $57k.

That's a 45%-52% difference in income levels between Hoboken and Jersey City. So you can imagine how much more disposable income is in Hoboken to support luxury stores as compared to the Heights. If you like Hoboken so much, you should move there.


Downtown Jersey City and Newport areas mean family income IS NOT 57k. DTJC and Newport have as much in common with other areas of JC like GV as Midtown Manhattan does with the Bronx.

Please stop applying these nonsense stats to DTJC and Newport. It's quite offensive.


Your beef is with the US Census Bureau, buddy. For whatever reason they still consider Newport and Downtown to be part of Jersey City. Though, I bet if you want, you could do a little work on your own and find the income stats for those neighborhood subgroups and quote them for all to see.

But back to the point at hand; your laziness offends me, though not nearly as much as the tasteless new urbanist architectural monstrosity of Newport does.


Are you debating that newport, and dtjc have higher median incomes than areas of JC like GV? I think you have more common sense than that. I don't waste my time giving supporting facts to simple questions like "what is 1+1?"

Just use non misleading appropriate facts next time is all I'm asking.

Newport might offend your eyes now but maybe if you made more money, you would adjust to it.



YAWN with my 3 properties combined with my income I probably gross more than anyone in this faux of a neighborhood called Newport. But I am no one because of where I live?

Get real I am not part of the nouveau riche son, We made our monies the old fashion way by earning it and investing it properly for the last 90 years. Good day!

Posted on: 2013/1/29 19:03
 Top 


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#34
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/10/6 15:27
Last Login :
2013/2/21 19:34
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 15
Offline
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
The Bronx is a borough of NYC but no one clumps it together with manhattan when income is involved.

He used the point to demonstrate how JC is unlike Hoboken and some parts of JC are very much UNLIKE Hoboken but DTJC and Newport are very much like Hoboken.

I'm just calling out people for using misleading stats.

Look user, I know you live in GV. But when I state facts about GV, like median income is much lower than DTJC and Newport - why are you offended? I'm just stating FACTS. who doesn't live in reality now?


If you had actually read what I wrote, you would realize that your point only serves to strengthen mine. You would also realize that no one was talking about Downtown. The comparison was initially between the Heights and Hoboken. Even without accounting for obvious income differences between the various neighborhoods of Jersey City, Jersey City still lags way behind Hoboken in household and per capita income. There was nothing misleading about it.

Also, eff off. You're both stupid and lazy, a toxic combination of qualities in any potential conversation.

Also, for the record, the zip code 07307 has a median household income of $54k and a mean household income of 68k, so the earlier point about the Heights vs. Hoboken stands.

Posted on: 2013/1/29 19:03
 Top 


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#33
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/1/19 4:04
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 996
Offline
Quote:

williepnewton wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

williepnewton wrote:

2A. HeightsBrat doesnt seem to realize that Hoboken's Mean Family Income is 174k a year. Jersey City's is 84k.

2B. Median Household income in Hoboken is $102k a year. Jersey City's is $57k.

That's a 45%-52% difference in income levels between Hoboken and Jersey City. So you can imagine how much more disposable income is in Hoboken to support luxury stores as compared to the Heights. If you like Hoboken so much, you should move there.


Downtown Jersey City and Newport areas mean family income IS NOT 57k. DTJC and Newport have as much in common with other areas of JC like GV as Midtown Manhattan does with the Bronx.

Please stop applying these nonsense stats to DTJC and Newport. It's quite offensive.


Your beef is with the US Census Bureau, buddy. For whatever reason they still consider Newport and Downtown to be part of Jersey City. Though, I bet if you want, you could do a little work on your own and find the income stats for those neighborhood subgroups and quote them for all to see.

But back to the point at hand; your laziness offends me, though not nearly as much as the tasteless new urbanist architectural monstrosity of Newport does.


Are you debating that newport, and dtjc have higher median incomes than areas of JC like GV? I think you have more common sense than that. I don't waste my time giving supporting facts to simple questions like "what is 1+1?"

Just use non misleading appropriate facts next time is all I'm asking.

Newport might offend your eyes now but maybe if you made more money, you would adjust to it.


Posted on: 2013/1/29 18:55
 Top 


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#32
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/1/11 18:21
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4960
Offline
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
True JC will never be NYC because NYC is the center of the world.

Quick question. If JC neighborhoods were members of a dodgeball team, which of those areas would be the weakest link? You know, the fat kid who can't run and always loses every game for your team?

user1111 who lives in Greenville, the JC neighborhood with the highest crime rate, please help me answer my question. Actually, the silence answers it.


Guess statements like this make you feel better. Enjoy yourself. Living DTJC , and boasting about it, makes your stuff not stink. Enjoy!

Posted on: 2013/1/29 18:54
 Top 


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#31
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/1/19 4:04
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 996
Offline
True JC will never be NYC because NYC is the center of the world.

Quick question. If JC neighborhoods were members of a dodgeball team, which of those areas would be the weakest link? You know, the fat kid who can't run and always loses every game for your team?

user1111 who lives in Greenville, the JC neighborhood with the highest crime rate, please help me answer my question. Actually, the silence answers it.

Posted on: 2013/1/29 18:50
 Top 


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#30
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/10/6 15:27
Last Login :
2013/2/21 19:34
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 15
Offline
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

williepnewton wrote:

2A. HeightsBrat doesnt seem to realize that Hoboken's Mean Family Income is 174k a year. Jersey City's is 84k.

2B. Median Household income in Hoboken is $102k a year. Jersey City's is $57k.

That's a 45%-52% difference in income levels between Hoboken and Jersey City. So you can imagine how much more disposable income is in Hoboken to support luxury stores as compared to the Heights. If you like Hoboken so much, you should move there.


Downtown Jersey City and Newport areas mean family income IS NOT 57k. DTJC and Newport have as much in common with other areas of JC like GV as Midtown Manhattan does with the Bronx.

Please stop applying these nonsense stats to DTJC and Newport. It's quite offensive.


Your beef is with the US Census Bureau, buddy. For whatever reason they still consider Newport and Downtown to be part of Jersey City. Though, I bet if you want, you could do a little work on your own and find the income stats for those neighborhood subgroups and quote them for all to see.

But back to the point at hand; your laziness offends me, though not nearly as much as the tasteless new urbanist architectural monstrosity of Newport does.

Posted on: 2013/1/29 18:47
 Top 


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#29
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/1/11 18:21
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4960
Offline
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
The Bronx is a borough of NYC but no one clumps it together with manhattan when income is involved.

He used the point to demonstrate how JC is unlike Hoboken and some parts of JC are very much UNLIKE Hoboken but DTJC and Newport are very much like Hoboken.

I'm just calling out people for using misleading stats.

Look user, I know you live in GV. But when I state facts about GV, like median income is much lower than DTJC and Newport - why are you offended? I'm just stating FACTS. who doesn't live in reality now?


Guess what AW this is not NYC , and it never will be. NYC and the rest of North NJ looks at us as Jersey $hitty with you included.

Posted on: 2013/1/29 18:44
 Top 


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#28
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/1/19 4:04
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 996
Offline
The Bronx is a borough of NYC but no one clumps it together with manhattan when income is involved.

He used the point to demonstrate how JC is unlike Hoboken and some parts of JC are very much UNLIKE Hoboken but DTJC and Newport are very much like Hoboken.

I'm just calling out people for using misleading stats.

Look user, I know you live in GV. But when I state facts about GV, like median income is much lower than DTJC and Newport - why are you offended? I'm just stating FACTS. who doesn't live in reality now?

Posted on: 2013/1/29 18:40
 Top 


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#27
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/1/11 18:21
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4960
Offline
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

williepnewton wrote:

2A. HeightsBrat doesnt seem to realize that Hoboken's Mean Family Income is 174k a year. Jersey City's is 84k.

2B. Median Household income in Hoboken is $102k a year. Jersey City's is $57k.

That's a 45%-52% difference in income levels between Hoboken and Jersey City. So you can imagine how much more disposable income is in Hoboken to support luxury stores as compared to the Heights. If you like Hoboken so much, you should move there.


Downtown Jersey City and Newport areas mean family income IS NOT 57k. DTJC and Newport have as much in common with other areas of JC like GV as Midtown Manhattan does with the Bronx.

Please stop applying these nonsense stats to DTJC and Newport. It's quite offensive.

Well its a fact, DTJC, PH, and Newport is still a part of JC I guess you don't live in reality? We all live in the same city, no mater how much income DTJC pulls in. Besides this thread is for the heights not DTJC. WOW get a clue.

Posted on: 2013/1/29 18:28
 Top 


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#26
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/1/19 4:04
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 996
Offline
Quote:

williepnewton wrote:

2A. HeightsBrat doesnt seem to realize that Hoboken's Mean Family Income is 174k a year. Jersey City's is 84k.

2B. Median Household income in Hoboken is $102k a year. Jersey City's is $57k.

That's a 45%-52% difference in income levels between Hoboken and Jersey City. So you can imagine how much more disposable income is in Hoboken to support luxury stores as compared to the Heights. If you like Hoboken so much, you should move there.


Downtown Jersey City and Newport areas mean family income IS NOT 57k. DTJC and Newport have as much in common with other areas of JC like GV as Midtown Manhattan does with the Bronx.

Please stop applying these nonsense stats to DTJC and Newport. It's quite offensive.

Posted on: 2013/1/29 18:24
 Top 


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#25
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/10/6 15:27
Last Login :
2013/2/21 19:34
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 15
Offline
1. MisterHeights is making things up. Pray tell, which businesses exactly think the SID is a waste of money?
2A. HeightsBrat doesnt seem to realize that Hoboken's Mean Family Income is 174k a year. Jersey City's is 84k.

2B. Median Household income in Hoboken is $102k a year. Jersey City's is $57k.

That's a 45%-52% difference in income levels between Hoboken and Jersey City. So you can imagine how much more disposable income is in Hoboken to support luxury stores as compared to the Heights. If you like Hoboken so much, you should move there.

3. Somebody, anybody, please name something Assemblyman Connors has accomplished besides showing up to occasional meetings, shaking hands and smiling a whole lot? His whole political life reeks of basic careerism, which is fine, but it doesn't qualify him to be councilman and it certainly doesn't mean he'll be a good one.

4. If anyone could be accused of thinking about their pockets when its comes to politics, its Sean Connors, who was correctly called a double dipping politician by Steve Fulop himself back in September.


Posted on: 2013/1/29 17:41
 Top 


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#24
Quite a regular
Quite a regular


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/12/31 14:54
Last Login :
2013/3/4 2:56
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 55
Offline
Det Connors has been far more involved with the community. Little Leagues, PTAs, Neighborhood Association. The CASID is a waste of business's money - in fact if you speak any business owner on Central Ave they tell you it's not worth the money AND you have no choice but to join.

Stop n Shop was needed. Mr Yun was thinking about his pockets, nothing else.

Posted on: 2013/1/29 13:04
 Top 


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#23
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/12/12 0:13
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 756
Offline
Quote:

pacoYtaco wrote:
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
[quote]

The Stop and Shop would have impacted Prospect how as Prospect is on the other side of Central. IN FACT NO ONE BUT A FEW wanted the school because of its proximity to the firehouse on Summit and the influx of traffic and kids in the neighborhood.


Very true. We owned 2 houses on Prospect for going on 65 years and still own one and we were in favor of the supermarket. Back then there were very little options for grocery shopping. C-Town was still the disgusting Met-Food, Supremo hadn't been renovated, and I don't even remember what year Hoboken Shop Rite opened up. Obviously the people who post in defense of shopping along Central are talking about present day, not how it was when these meetings were going on.

The whole point is it's not even just about us being "wah wah we didn't get our supermarket" but more so that Michael Yun didn't even live here and the avenue really hasn't improved much either way.

I attended these meetings and at that point in time, Michael Yuns arguments against having the Stop N Shop just didn't really make much sense.


Thank you. I started attending those meetings when they started sometime the end of 2002 the beginning of 2003. No one was going to stop going to the local delis & bakeries because of the store. Hoboken is thriving. Central Ave. could be the great place it was to shop years ago. All anyone has to do is recall great stores like Rosen's, Marilynn's, Silver's, etc. I know this isn.t then, this is now but surely we can improve our lot with a little more vision.

Posted on: 2013/1/26 11:36
 Top 


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#22
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/7/17 2:12
Last Login :
8/9 17:33
From Moe's Deli
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 141
Offline
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
[quote]

The Stop and Shop would have impacted Prospect how as Prospect is on the other side of Central. IN FACT NO ONE BUT A FEW wanted the school because of its proximity to the firehouse on Summit and the influx of traffic and kids in the neighborhood.


Very true. We owned 2 houses on Prospect for going on 65 years and still own one and we were in favor of the supermarket. Back then there were very little options for grocery shopping. C-Town was still the disgusting Met-Food, Supremo hadn't been renovated, and I don't even remember what year Hoboken Shop Rite opened up. Obviously the people who post in defense of shopping along Central are talking about present day, not how it was when these meetings were going on.

The whole point is it's not even just about us being "wah wah we didn't get our supermarket" but more so that Michael Yun didn't even live here and the avenue really hasn't improved much either way.

I attended these meetings and at that point in time, Michael Yuns arguments against having the Stop N Shop just didn't really make much sense.

Posted on: 2013/1/25 13:56
 Top 


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#21
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/12/12 0:13
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 756
Offline
Quote:

williepnewton wrote:
1. Stop and Shop never owned the land so saying things like "they never requested an abatement" are useless because the process never got far enough for details like that to be worked out.
2. The Heights has to by law build more schools (including a High School at some point). Kicking the can down the road in favor of a Stop & Shop some people might like (but that the neighborhood does not need) would be idiotic.
3. Of course the SID would fight a giant grocery store a half mile away. Just like neighborhood associations would fight a 40 foot condo building next to their 4 story walk up. Also, the Reservoir Preservation Alliance was against the Stop and Shop and the land was zoned for residential, not commercial. Ask the residents of Prospect how they felt about that Stop and Shop.
4. The options in the Heights are fine. There are several good delis on on Central. Tons of affordable veggie stores and another grocery store a half mile away (C-Town). Stop and Shop has almost everything you need. I buy stuff like Goat Cheese downtown or in NYC when I have the chance. This reminds me of people complaining about how its too hot when its 70 degrees out.


Now you are showing who you truly are.

1. Doesn't matter if Stop and Shop didn't own the land at that time because this was the offer they made & were willing to hold to. The money was being held in escrow. The other option on the table was the building of homes. That was the second most popular option. Again ratables.

2. What law says the Heights HAS to build more schools? How are the other areas of the city dealing with that? And the Heights DOES already have a hight School. We call it Dickinson.

3. Only one person led the charge against the Stop and Shop stating that it would destroy the Avenue. Destroy what? The 99 cent stores? the chinese take out? The pizza places? The bling-bling stores? Or the ability to rent the properties owned? And one must point out that there are about the same amount of empty stores on the Avenue as there were 10 years ago. And let's stop twisting the truth.
The Alliance was against that is true. The Stop and Shop would have impacted Prospect how as Prospect is on the other side of Central. IN FACT NO ONE BUT A FEW wanted the school because of its proximity to the firehouse on Summit and the influx of traffic and kids in the neighborhood.

4. The only ones who think the options in the Heights are fine are a fistful of store owners who do not live here who are eking out a decent living . The Stop and Shop does not begin to supply what this area needs and neither does C-Town. In fact both are expensive, dirty & if you look carefully you will find food beiing sold passed their date or dates that have been changed. With a couple of exceptions, the green grocers have a horrid selection.

Now quick, think of another half truth answer.

Posted on: 2013/1/25 13:21
 Top 


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#20
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/10/6 15:27
Last Login :
2013/2/21 19:34
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 15
Offline
1. Stop and Shop never owned the land so saying things like "they never requested an abatement" are useless because the process never got far enough for details like that to be worked out.
2. The Heights has to by law build more schools (including a High School at some point). Kicking the can down the road in favor of a Stop & Shop some people might like (but that the neighborhood does not need) would be idiotic.
3. Of course the SID would fight a giant grocery store a half mile away. Just like neighborhood associations would fight a 40 foot condo building next to their 4 story walk up. Also, the Reservoir Preservation Alliance was against the Stop and Shop and the land was zoned for residential, not commercial. Ask the residents of Prospect how they felt about that Stop and Shop.
4. The options in the Heights are fine. There are several good delis on on Central. Tons of affordable veggie stores and another grocery store a half mile away (C-Town). Stop and Shop has almost everything you need. I buy stuff like Goat Cheese downtown or in NYC when I have the chance. This reminds me of people complaining about how its too hot when its 70 degrees out.

Posted on: 2013/1/25 5:18
 Top 


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#19
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/7/17 2:12
Last Login :
8/9 17:33
From Moe's Deli
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 141
Offline
I go to a lot of places on Central Ave for veggies and fruits but when it comes to some things you can really only get at a super market you're just out of luck unless you go down to A&P or ShopRite. All of these little super markets have very limited selection of personal care items, and you have to ask someone to get your toothpaste at Supremo or C-Town. While they both have cold cut counters and small butcher sections, Stop N Shop on Central does not and they are open the latest of all of them. Honestly, I would prefer to not buy my shower gel and razors from 99Central.

As for the Post Office, at least Secaucus has parking.

Posted on: 2013/1/25 3:10
 Top 


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#18
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/7/9 11:16
Last Login :
2021/11/30 0:49
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2491
Offline
To be fair.. there are some decent places to get fresh fruit and veggies (ie. Young's) that are cheaper and better quality than you get in the supermarket.

555 also opened a fish market on Central Ave. which is pretty good.

Posted on: 2013/1/25 0:31
 Top 


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#17
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/12/12 0:13
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 756
Offline
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Isn't there a Stop N Shop up there already? Last time I was up there, there was a SNS on Central off Franklin...


You're not the sharpest knife in the drawer are you?

I do very little shopping on Central Ave. There is simply nothing there. I desparately want to shop locally but there is no reason to. I go to Podewitz, LaConcha, occasionally C-Town for some odd or end, ditto Stop and Shop, some of the green grocers. I don't even go to the post office, Secaucus is faster. That brand new Stop and Shop plus new police station (that was also part of the deal).....wow. I go to the A&P on 18th & can't wait for the Hoboken Shop Rite to reopen.

And if you want to know what the Stop and Shop was going to be like, go to the Shop Rite in Bayonne on Ave. C and 24th St. The only thing it may not have had was the inclinator, which is pretty cool. .

Posted on: 2013/1/25 0:29
 Top 


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#16
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/7/17 2:12
Last Login :
8/9 17:33
From Moe's Deli
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 141
Offline
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Isn't there a Stop N Shop up there already? Last time I was up there, there was a SNS on Central off Franklin...


C-Town on Central Ave is better than that sad excuse of a Stop N Shop.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 17:51
 Top 


Re: Michael Yun for Council - Heights Ward D
#15
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/7/9 11:16
Last Login :
2021/11/30 0:49
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2491
Offline
It is an undersized store and lacks a lot of items. For the better stuff, you have to go to Shop Rite or the A&P. The wife and I use the Stop N Shop for buying odd items (i.e. heavy cream) we are out of.

My tenants at the North end of the Heights used to take the elevator down to Hoboken and use the Shop Rite there. That store got hammered during the flood and from what I understand is still closed.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 14:24
 Top 




(1) 2 »




[Advanced Search]





Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017