Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: The Brightside Tavern - 141 Bright Street
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/7 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
Went here last night for the first time and highly recommend it. The food was delicious, with several unique offerings, and very reasonably priced and plentiful servings. I particularly enjoyed the pulled pork sandwich. They have a great happy hour, and the staff was friendly, attentive, accommodating. Brightside will be a favorite.

Posted on: 2012/6/29 17:42

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/20 23:11
Group:
Registered Users
Tommy is great, the beer specials are great, but the sandwich I had at brunch last weekend was possibly the worth brunch sandwich I have ever eaten:

1. I asked for eggs over (came scrambled)
2. Bacon not overdone, but burnt
3. Tomatoes were grainy (yes, grainy)
4. When I bit into the bread it broke apart making picking it up again after the first bite impossible.

Told the waitress that the sandwich was pretty bad when she came and checked and she said, "oh, i'm so sorry," but no further action was taken.

Not a big deal and I know this place is still getting its footing, but brunch is something that on paper seems easy but in reality it is hard to pull off. I often think it's better to JUST serve an Irish Breakfast type thing at brunch until the service/items are perfected. I will definitely be back and the wings are outstanding--haven't had the burger yet, but looking forward to it. Oh, and PLEASE get good coffee for the weekends--makes so much of a difference!

Posted on: 2011/11/22 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

paulushooker wrote:
The place looks great and the food is good but he needs to get rid of his barmaid. You can be looking right at her and she will not see you. I figured it was just me but no...people in my party were getting much the same.

This happens every time I come there and it's just getting old.

Yeah, one is just awful. It's almost like it's a game for her to see how many times she can ignore you. The one time I stayed for drinks, the other bartender had to keep coming over to serve us and apologize. Two other times I've walked in, sat at the bar and made eye contact and waited for service. After a few minutes of being ignored I just walked out. And no, it wasn't busy and she wasn't doing anythign else.

Posted on: 2011/11/22 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
The short rib panino with side salad is fabulous. I took half the sandwich home and had it for lunch the next day. And the Hendrick's martini was still perfect.

Posted on: 2011/11/22 14:01

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/8 0:29
Group:
Registered Users
My new favorite new burger in Jersey City. I highly recommend the Moroccan beef burger!

Posted on: 2011/11/22 3:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/27 23:02
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
The place looks great and the food is good but he needs to get rid of his barmaid. You can be looking right at her and she will not see you. I figured it was just me but no...people in my party were getting much the same.

This happens every time I come there and it's just getting old.

Posted on: 2011/11/22 2:55

Re: Downtown: Tommy of "Tommy 2 Scoops" announces the opening of "THE BRIGHTSIDE TAVERN"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Go to brunch and get the biscuits, you won't be disappointed.

Posted on: 2011/11/21 18:46

Re: Downtown: Tommy of "Tommy 2 Scoops" announces the opening of "THE BRIGHTSIDE TAVERN"

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/27 16:13
Group:
Registered Users
My boyfriend and I went last night (our 2nd time there). Tommy stopped by and chatted with us. Our waitress was really nice and we actually ran into her again in JC today. Looks like this place is going part of our regular rotation.

The Moroccan Lamb Burger was awesome and I devoured it in about 10 seconds.

Posted on: 2011/9/18 3:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Delicious mussels, with a perfect Hendricks martini. Had to ask for water, and bread came a bit late. These are kinks that will be ironed out. Happy to have a new neighborhood go-to place.

Posted on: 2011/9/18 1:46

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/7 12:58
Group:
Registered Users
Went there Sunday with some friends. Loved the tator tot/bacon/sour cream appetizer. Margaritas were surprisingly pretty good. They messed up our order & 1/2 later told us. Gave us a free round of drinks & 50 bucks off bill. I appreciate that kind of customer service :)

Posted on: 2011/9/15 1:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Looked busy for brunch today.

Posted on: 2011/9/11 17:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
This weekend, my mother-in-law came to town so my husband and i took her to the Brightside and it was great again! Tommy sat down and talked to us and my mother-in-law loved him. the food was super yummy. We had the sliders app. yeah that was super yummy. next time i go i am getting a burger! Tommy sent over the carrot cake with mascarpone gelato.... oh my it was delicious and there was enough to split between the three of us.

i am praying that this place continues to do well. Tommy REALLY cares about this place and he will adjust things to what customers say about the food. if you have a problem tell him... don't not come back because of it.

I actually i knew Tommy was there because someone started playing with the lights. He seems to want to make everything perfect bc he cares so much. it is nice to see.

the only thing that i have any issue with is the staff is still finding there footing but that is to be expected. the waitstaff seems to be a little shaky but learning.

if you haven't tried this place you really should!

Posted on: 2011/9/11 12:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Beachguy and I must have been here tonight at the same time but in a parallel universe.

The positives are a beautiful space, some excellent dishes, and an accommodating management after a few missteps. Though not busy tonight, it took ? an hour to get our salads, 1 hour to have bread placed on the table. I ordered vodka up and received gin (with insistence from the waiter that it was in fact vodka but finally conceding it was Bombay). Recorded music was piped into the dinning room to the point we could not hear each other?s conversation (was resolved),

The lamb burger was perfect, as were the cut fries and side salad. The grilled chicken was dry, and the accompanying pea risotto had no flavor though properly cooked. The veggie burger was good as was the eggplant panini. The brownie dessert was a nice way to end the meal. The prices were reasonable relative to other restaurants offering a comparable menu.

We will be writing this off as growing pains and will be back (if they let us in), because we need more places that serve quality food in a nice setting and hope they are able straighten out the kinks.

As a Ps., the staff, both waite and management, are friendly and seem to really care about this new addition to the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2011/9/5 2:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 14:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I REALLY hope that folks try this place. I'm a sit-at-the-bar and have a drink and dinner kinda guy. Started with a perfect (and quite large) martini. I'm kind of a salad snob so I was really pleased when my Caesar arrived with perfectly dry leaves except for the dressing and just the right amount of the polenta croutons. My partner was hungry so he had the pulled pork nachos. Both starters were excellent. I went there because I was in the mood for a great sirloin and I was not disappointed. Perfect medium rare and really good quality beef. And the side of charred but still al dente asparaus was really good. My partner's ribs were abundant and not dripping with horrible sauce but they were really smoky which is not my tast but he loved them. But the potato salad that was underneath the ribs was outstanding.

The place is gorgeous. The chef is on point with everything. I know it's a bit off the beaten path, but please try this place. I would love to see it be a success. They're not going to be able to keep these prices forever because it's REALLY reasonable but I recommend that you go while the going's cheap! Best of luck, Tommy!

Posted on: 2011/9/5 1:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the clarification. This American just didn't get it as I've seen Bruschetta of the Day on lots of menus. Substituting "tomato topping" there doesn't make sense, hence my question.

Crostini or bruschetta with goat cheese and tomato salad sounds delicious.

Posted on: 2011/9/4 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bruschetta

I assume that, like many Americans, they're using "bruschetta" to refer to the tomato salad and not the toast.

Posted on: 2011/9/4 16:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/19 17:37
Group:
Registered Users
Went for brunch. I enjoyed the Shrimp Po Boy. The food overall was decent and the prices were very good. Nice service. I hope people will check it out. We could use a new place in the neighborhood that isn't another pizza or Thai place.

Posted on: 2011/9/4 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Can you tell me what "bruschetta goat cheese crostini" is?

It seems kind of redundant. By definition, bruschetta is roasted bread rubbed with garlic and topped with extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper, sometimes with toppings. And crostini or "little toasts" is small slices of grilled or toasted bread and toppings.

So what is bruschetta crostini? Sounds like roasted bread, toasted bread with goat cheese.

(Add lordy, I do wish wait staff were taught how to pronounce bruschetta.)

Posted on: 2011/9/3 14:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
I just went to the Brightside Tavern with my husband and it was super yummy. We had the bruscetta goat cheese crostini for an appetizer. i had the flat iron steak and my husband the burger. it was really good.

the desert was insanely delicious. we split the snickers gelatto brownie and cheesecake lollipops. we were so full we couldn't breathe. it was so yummy.

there is nothing like this in this area(by dixon mills) and i feel like it is needed. i hope it does really well bc i now have a new place to grab a good dinner that isn't super expensive and do not want to lose it.

Posted on: 2011/9/3 0:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/7 3:21
Group:
Registered Users
Just beware when ordering gelato... didn't know the price and got hit with $36 worth of gelato.

Posted on: 2011/9/2 13:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
After dinner, we went upstairs to check out the room. There were plenty of people at the beer event -- all looking happy to be there.

Posted on: 2011/9/2 13:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
Anybody go to the beer event last night?

It's nice to hear the service is good. Service can be something that's tricky for new places to get right away and IT IS SO IMPORTANT!

I'm excited to hear some brunch reviews. The menu has a lot of variety and they have sausage gravy and biscuits, one of my guiltiest pleasures.

Posted on: 2011/9/2 13:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Dined there tonight. The music in the dining room was Sinatra, Ella, Tony Bennet, Dick Haymes,...very enjoyable. All three of us had different burgers -- all a tad more cooked than we had ordered, but they were nevertheless juicy and delicious. I had the Moroccan Lamb burger and I would have it again. I do think they need to rethink their wines by the glass. (The beer list is much much better.) I'm used to a better BTG selection at Marco's and Lighthorse. This list needs work.

The room is lovely, the service attentive and the prices are really reasonable. We will go back again soon.

Posted on: 2011/9/1 23:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
What is with most of the bars in this town -- loud crappy music with expensive jukeboxes -- get an ipod and someone with interesting musical taste -- and what is with all large screen TVs (often even blaring sports) do any of these owners know anything about bars? Is this the Jersey Shore?

A lot of people will go to a bar to specifically to watch sports.

Back to the subject at hand the owners are nice people. I look forward to stopping by and wish them all the best. It's good to have another option here (be it bar or food).

Posted on: 2011/8/22 23:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Has anybody been here yet? Is it more of a bar, or more of a restaurant?

One side is a reasonably large bar and the other is a sit down restaurant with two levels... Great decor.

I had the Moroccan Burger (goat cheese). It was excellent. They also have Franziskaner Weissbier on tap which is pretty cool.

It's just opened and they're ironing out the kinks that are common with new restaurants. Hardly a soft opening because the place was crowded during a rainstorm outside. Cool vibe. 30 - 50 crowd at the bar that night. There was no Z100 music playing the night that I was there.

Posted on: 2011/8/22 21:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/30 19:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
What is with most of the bars in this town -- loud crappy music with expensive jukeboxes -- get an ipod and someone with interesting musical taste -- and what is with all large screen TVs (often even blaring sports) do any of these owners know anything about bars? Is this the Jersey Shore?

Why don't you go in and see for yourself before you start your moaning.

Posted on: 2011/8/22 21:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/8/22 20:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Ugh, z100 type music? Come on, Tommy!

Posted on: 2011/8/22 20:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/30 14:07
Group:
Registered Users
been there twice so far. very nicely done renovation. comfortable environment, friendly attentive staff. decent beer selection. kind of like a skinners with cloth napkins. i've only had a couple things off the menu so its hard to judge the food - the sliders sounded a lot better than they tasted but definitely not bad. the burger was decent as were the wings and fried pickles. had a slight order mixup last time i was there but no big deal. crappy z100 type music and random stuff on the tvs but definitely worth putting into the normal rotation. bit of an older crowd.

Posted on: 2011/8/22 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/30 19:53
Group:
Registered Users
We stopped in yesterday. Yes, I was expecting a remodeling of Boonies. But this place is big! He extended the footprint by more than double. On the Boonie side is a dining room and the whole back section is a large bar. The menu looks good, with pasta, ribs, burgers, seafood, etc. We didn't get to try the food, but we'll be going in this week.

Posted on: 2011/8/22 17:25

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017