Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Good Retail Location in Downtown JC
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/30 19:58
From Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
Newark, Brunswick, Jersey, grove or monmouth all would be great locations. It's going to be hard with the current economy, but in time Newark Ave will improve drastically. The new streetscape is going to make people actually want to walk down Newark. It would probably be wise to get in on a lease now in one of those dumpy 99 cent store fronts, cross your fingers hoping that Newark Ave has a a renaissance, and the economy bounces back and you may be happy you did it a few years from now. Just be prepared to have a rough year or two. If you are prepared, then I say go for it. I'm hoping to do the same thing...just don't have a good business idea yet.

Posted on: 2009/5/7 12:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/16 17:56
Group:
Registered Users
I sent you a PM. Thanks!

Quote:

renaissance1 wrote:
Are you interested in sharing space with an existing cafe? It may be a good combination to consider and can allow you to hedge risk during this nutty economy.

Posted on: 2009/5/6 22:52

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/26 22:35
Group:
Registered Users
Are you interested in sharing space with an existing cafe? It may be a good combination to consider and can allow you to hedge risk during this nutty economy.

Posted on: 2009/5/6 22:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Their website says they have left Downtown and moved all the way west to Bergen & Montgomery (near St Peters)

"Daily Dose" "763 montgomery"

How long were they open downtown? If I remember right their shoes were cleared out through their back door one night - or something?

They post on here - maybe they will tell us - I see their sign in a Barber shop on Newark near Monmouth... is that were their Downtown fans now get their Daily Dose?

Quote:

marie_r wrote:
No, not at all. They're just moving.
And thanks for the heads-up, kellygreen!
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Daily Dose is out of business??

And yes the not so secret, secret of Downtown is you don't want to rent below street level.

Posted on: 2009/3/31 23:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/9 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
tommyc_37 --- no, the Daily Dose guys are great. they just moved locations (i believe one spot will now be in the Heights and the other is at the barbershop ... you may want to check their website for more info)

Posted on: 2009/3/31 23:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
No, not at all. They're just moving.

And thanks for the heads-up, kellygreen!

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2009/3/31 22:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kellygreen wrote:
Marie - A friend of mine looked at that space awhile ago. Great location, terriffic potential, however the landlord disappeared in the middle of the transaction. It was for the better anyway bc the spot needs a lot of work, floods (he found later on from another shopowner) and the landlord wanted 5 months deposit and around $3K a month. Things may have changed since a year has passed, but ... just a little heads up.

As other posters have mentioned, Jersey Ave has two spots available -- the old Daily Dose spot has nice street-facing windows and just got a bunch of renovations. Also there's the old video store next door. It would absolutely be wise to walk around this weekend and check out the neighborhood. Best of luck!

Posted on: 2009/3/31 22:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/20 16:18
Group:
Registered Users
you'd be crazy to think those carts are even a penny less than $3000/mo, and $25,000+ for holiday (Nov/Dec). Quote:

wibbit wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
and I can't even imagine what the Newport Mall charges their tenants (anyone know?) -- and as far as getting a booth at the mall -- I would kill myself if I had to work all day at a mall kiosk! Not to mention the recent stabbings in the mall!

that's not true, the carts at newport mall is cheaper than a storefront. You also get far more traffic than any store outside of the mall. It's a cost effective way to market test your product as a first step, to figure out if it sells and the type of buyers (as the mall has a balanced population of ghetto to upscale shoppers). Then you can target your buyer group and do something else if it works out.

Anyway i love japanese trinkets, they are so well constructed. Maria, do you have a link to your online store?

Posted on: 2009/3/31 21:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/9 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Marie - A friend of mine looked at that space awhile ago. Great location, terriffic potential, however the landlord disappeared in the middle of the transaction. It was for the better anyway bc the spot needs a lot of work, floods (he found later on from another shopowner) and the landlord wanted 5 months deposit and around $3K a month. Things may have changed since a year has passed, but ... just a little heads up.

As other posters have mentioned, Jersey Ave has two spots available -- the old Daily Dose spot has nice street-facing windows and just got a bunch of renovations. Also there's the old video store next door. It would absolutely be wise to walk around this weekend and check out the neighborhood. Best of luck!

Posted on: 2009/3/31 21:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I Googled the space and it looks pretty good! It's going to be our first stop this weekend! Thanks!

Quote:

hero69 wrote:
There is a little storefront on Grove between Wayne and Barrow, where Comfort Bistro used to be. It is next to a beauty store and a hair saloon - sounds like a good spot.

Posted on: 2009/3/31 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
and I can't even imagine what the Newport Mall charges their tenants (anyone know?) -- and as far as getting a booth at the mall -- I would kill myself if I had to work all day at a mall kiosk! Not to mention the recent stabbings in the mall!

that's not true, the carts at newport mall is cheaper than a storefront. You also get far more traffic than any store outside of the mall. It's a cost effective way to market test your product as a first step, to figure out if it sells and the type of buyers (as the mall has a balanced population of ghetto to upscale shoppers). Then you can target your buyer group and do something else if it works out.

Anyway i love japanese trinkets, they are so well constructed. Maria, do you have a link to your online store?

Posted on: 2009/3/31 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
somebody mentioned the spot where Oasis used to be.

is Oasis gone for good? I thought they were open seasonally. was really looking forward to my inaugural springtime veggie burger.

Posted on: 2009/3/31 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
The price points are above what we see on newark, but we always complain that the 99 cent stores are crap, why won't anyone good come in. now someone good comes in and we discorage them. I'm all for this idea.
The old fabric store on Grove is a good idea, that stretch (including Bagua Juice, la Conguita, etc.) is picking up. Also how about the new building going up on Jersey right off of newark (next to the hair salon, across from Greek to Me)? That location is a bit away from the PATH but not too bad. I would never suggest going farther west than Jersey Ave., that is just going to exponentially decrease foot traffic.

Posted on: 2009/3/31 15:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/18 18:56
Group:
Registered Users
There's an upscale children's store on columbus ave near hardgrove cafe that i think is going out of business. I forget the name, but It's close to Grove and Columbus and in the same building as a dry cleaners.

Posted on: 2009/3/31 12:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
If that place sells puppies I'm not taking my dog there.

Marie, do you have a link to your Web site so we can see it?

Posted on: 2009/3/31 11:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/17 12:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I wish you all the best Marie :)

Shadrack wrote:
'Did anyone else hear that the doggie daycare on Grove is being held up because the owners are trying to secure a permit to sell puppies?'

I have heard this nasty rumor too and so hope this is an untruth.

Has anyone else heard this?

Posted on: 2009/3/31 3:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
We really didn't want to set up shop in a mall. Our initial plan was to set up a showroom/office instead of a storefront because we are doing good in our online sales and we should just focus on that. But we figured that a storefront could bring in more NJ customers, which we don't see often (most of our customers are from NY, CA, and the UK). And there is one particular brand that we are carrying that no other store in Jersey City (even in Hoboken!) carry and that could attract potential customers. I remember I used to go to Montclair just to shop for this brand

We're still doing a lot of research and your inputs really help a lot and I appreciate it!

Posted on: 2009/3/30 23:14

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/3 0:52
Group:
Registered Users
I think your business sounds wonderful and I would personally be interested in shopping there! :) There is a new storefront available for rent on Monmouth St between 3rd and 4th streets. It's right next to a custom tailor/made-to-measure clothiers called "DeCarlos" that just opened right next door. The area gets foot traffic from the other businesses on the street, Cafe Nia, Frank's pizza, etc. Keep us posted!

Posted on: 2009/3/30 22:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
The permit process is terrible in Jersey City. Good luck Marie!

Did anyone else hear that the doggie daycare on Grove is being held up because the owners are trying to secure a permit to sell puppies?

Posted on: 2009/3/30 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Sure, but lets get real -- I heard the old fabric store ( the less fancy direction of Grove Street across for Sava's Polish food) just rented out for something like $9,000 per month for some kind of Doggie Day Care and Pet Grooming Biz -- and I can't even imagine what the Newport Mall charges their tenants (anyone know?) -- and as far as getting a booth at the mall -- I would kill myself if I had to work all day at a mall kiosk! Not to mention the recent stabbings in the mall!

You'd have to sell a lot of Bento Boxes & Handbags to pay those rents.

I think a small upstart "mail-order" accessories business should really look at Newark Avenue and the side streets - Jersey /Coles/Monmouth and Brunswick -- but they better really make most of their money online or they just might fail!

Again, best of luck and hope you do choose to open Downtown!

Quote:

sandman wrote:
Jersey Avenue between Newark and Montgomery, at first glance, seems to have a lot of nice storefront architecture and one can visualize a really nice shopping street there. Hopefully it will happen at some point in the future.

However, in recent years, stores that sell clothing/shoes/gourmet foods/books have all failed on that stretch. Unless you're offering very good value or filling a need, I'd look for another location, maybe Grove St or the Newport mall.

Posted on: 2009/3/30 20:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
There's 2 liquor stores on Newark that I know of.

There's one where at Newark and Bay. That would have much better foot traffic, but there's a lot of undesirables hanging out in front of that one you'd probably be forced to deal with once in a while. Still I think Newark has slightly better foot traffic than Jersey, so I'd recommend this of the 2.

There's another where Newark hits Brunswick/4th streets. Less Riff Raff hanging around, but foot traffic much worse - if that's the one I think you'd do better on Jersey.

There's a brand new renovated space at 8th and Brunswick that they've had a sign for retail space for a few months with no takers. Again, I don't think the foot traffic would be great, even with White Star at the other end.

best of luck.

Posted on: 2009/3/30 20:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/9 18:01
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey Avenue between Newark and Montgomery, at first glance, seems to have a lot of nice storefront architecture and one can visualize a really nice shopping street there. Hopefully it will happen at some point in the future.

However, in recent years, stores that sell clothing/shoes/gourmet foods/books have all failed on that stretch. Unless you're offering very good value or filling a need, I'd look for another location, maybe Grove St or the Newport mall.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2009/3/30 20:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Sounds great, Marie. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Posted on: 2009/3/30 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Sweetie, the combination you just mentioned is upscale for Jersey City. Average for Manhattan.

Posted on: 2009/3/30 20:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm taking notes! We're going to busy this weekend scouting the areas that you guys mentioned! Thanks so much!

I actually don't think that we're operating an upscale store--we're like a mix of Anthropologie and Japanese gift shops

Posted on: 2009/3/30 20:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
The only Long Island Fabric store on Grove Street is vacant, but probably too large.

Posted on: 2009/3/30 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Now I see the problem with Dowton Jersey City retail - it is simply too scattered about for such a small city so close to Manhattan.

Downtown Jersey City really needs a retail strip like they have with Central Avenue in the Heights - although I will admit that the merchants on Central Avenue have been suffering too.

Posted on: 2009/3/30 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

marie_r wrote:
...I like the location of the one in Jersey Ave. but the rent/mo goes a bit beyond our budget...

If you are budget minded you might want to look on Brunswick -- I think there is a store for rent -- and there is that new Boomerang Vintage Store and a few art galleries -- as well as Madame Claude's which draws a lot of upscale foot traffic.

Good Luck!

It sounds like it will be a nice addition to the area!

Posted on: 2009/3/30 19:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
The storefronts next to the Dunkin Donuts by the Grove Street Path entrance are available. Plenty of foot traffic. A few ne'er-do-wells wander around a bit, but I would think that would be a good location for just about any type of store. I don't know what the rent is, though.

I believe the plaza is actually called the Fitzgerald-Holota Memorial Plaza.

Posted on: 2009/3/30 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe this kind of shop will help upgrade the area. After all, there's Ox and Skinner's Loft too.

Posted on: 2009/3/30 18:53

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017