Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
106 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: JC Council Proposes to Limit Public Speaking at Public Hearings
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
This is what the Council President said in 2014.

https://youtu.be/dMQJa3nGXds

Posted on: 2018/6/29 20:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Reporter, Terrence McDonald told me what I corrected him is not what I originally said. So I will take his word on this and give him an apology. I spoke on this issue tonight and brought up the fact that bond hearings, redevelopment plans and budget hearings will be affected. Those are hundreds of pages and the public will be denied the right to question important items in details. I did tell Councilman Lavarro, that he sets the agenda, so he is responsible for 16 second readings ordinances on an agenda. Previous council had 6 or less.

Posted on: 2018/6/28 1:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Ralph_Abutts wrote:
FWIW: the Jersey City Board of Education limits public speakers to 5 minutes.

As does the Hoboken Council. I was telling an ex member about this nonsense and they were horrified that anyone at all could filibuster the council meetings.

Posted on: 2018/6/27 2:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/5 15:03
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
When a Dozen Armed Police Officers cannot get the Job of SILENCING the PEOPLE Done on Demand by JC Council Prez Lavvarro.....

THEY SIMPLY PASS ANOTHER LAW to SHUT DOWN PUBLIC PARTICIPATION & OUR PUBLIC OUTCRY 4 ACCOUNTABILITY !!!

Posted on: 2018/6/26 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsNative wrote:
Having been to enough council meetings, I can say Yvonne is ruining it for everyone else. I applaud her tenacity and involvement, but that's it. There's never any structure to her arguments, and at times rambles on ad infinitem to the point that we forget what the topic is. It's things like this that turn average people off.

Let me be clear; I am 100% against limiting public comment. But, when it gets out of hand, and clearly serves to inflate anyone's personal ego, I'd say cut them off.

But capping everyone to 5 minutes is harsh, particularly if there's a complex topic and the speaker is actually engaging the council in dialogue. Maybe have it flexible where they can extend upon request? Knowing Lavarro, he'll deny every single one. Maybe make extensions like motions, where you 1 need council member to quickly motion to extend the speaker's time with someone seconding it? Just spitballing here.

Keep speaking to 5 minutes max but encourage the submission of written comments and give them equal weight.

Not everyone is working 9 to 5 or is retired like Yvonne. Those with odd work hours are put at a disadvantage for public participation.

Posted on: 2018/6/25 21:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/10 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
FWIW: the Jersey City Board of Education limits public speakers to 5 minutes.

Posted on: 2018/6/25 20:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/3 19:14
From Chilltown
Group:
Registered Users
Having been to enough council meetings, I can say Yvonne is ruining it for everyone else. I applaud her tenacity and involvement, but that's it. There's never any structure to her arguments, and at times rambles on ad infinitem to the point that we forget what the topic is. It's things like this that turn average people off.

Let me be clear; I am 100% against limiting public comment. But, when it gets out of hand, and clearly serves to inflate anyone's personal ego, I'd say cut them off.

But capping everyone to 5 minutes is harsh, particularly if there's a complex topic and the speaker is actually engaging the council in dialogue. Maybe have it flexible where they can extend upon request? Knowing Lavarro, he'll deny every single one. Maybe make extensions like motions, where you 1 need council member to quickly motion to extend the speaker's time with someone seconding it? Just spitballing here.

Posted on: 2018/6/25 19:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Out of 16 second reading ordinances, I speak on two or three which relates on public spending. After all, it is our tax dollars. Why don't you watch youtube and you can see what I speak on? As they say the proof is in the pudding.

Your Youtube videos are also selectively edited to give the impression more people support the things you're in favor of than there really are.

Maybe with this ordinance, the silent majority of DTJC residents can finally speak out on eliminating parking minimums, adding protected bike lanes and more density (which will lower our taxes and create more amenities) without having to constantly be intimidated by the likes of Yvonne and her neighborhood association NIMBYs.

Posted on: 2018/6/25 17:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Out of 16 second reading ordinances, I speak on two or three which relates on public spending. After all, it is our tax dollars. Why don't you watch youtube and you can see what I speak on? As they say the proof is in the pudding.

Posted on: 2018/6/25 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/12 21:59
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Yes, you are gullible, the same administration that wants to limit time on ordinances also want to remove those free press boxes. Granted there are too many at some locations and should be spaced apart but I and many others do read those articles. This administration is attacking the first amendment, plain and simple.

And you?re a crazy person that incessantly needs to hear her own voice. And why don?t you just admit that you hate Fulop and anything he does is wrong? It could save you a lot of energy constantly twisting yourself in knots trying to justify that hatered.

I?ve had my say. There will be no more back and forth on my part. Say what you want after this. Don?t expect a response, though.

Posted on: 2018/6/25 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, you are gullible, the same administration that wants to limit time on ordinances also want to remove those free press boxes. Granted there are too many at some locations and should be spaced apart but I and many others do read those articles. This administration is attacking the first amendment, plain and simple.

Posted on: 2018/6/25 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Making personal attacks on reducing public hearings is sad, Resident, it show you have nothing important to say except garbage. If a block is under a redevelopment zone which might have hundreds of pages, then too bad. You cannot ask important questions and get responses if you are limited. Amazingly, developers who go to caucus meeting are not asked to limit their time. While caucus meetings are set for 2 hours, they can last five or more hours due to many developers peddling their plans. Yet developers are not asked to limit their time to 5 minutes and the council do not mind adding additional time to caucus meetings for them.

Lady, you called me gullible. That?s a judgment and a personal attack. So sit down and shut up. Your moral high horse is dead.

Posted on: 2018/6/25 14:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Making personal attacks on reducing public hearings is sad, Resident, it show you have nothing important to say except garbage. If a block is under a redevelopment zone which might have hundreds of pages, then too bad. You cannot ask important questions and get responses if you are limited. Amazingly, developers who go to caucus meeting are not asked to limit their time. While caucus meetings are set for 2 hours, they can last five or more hours due to many developers peddling their plans. Yet developers are not asked to limit their time to 5 minutes and the council do not mind adding additional time to caucus meetings for them.

Posted on: 2018/6/25 12:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
A little background the Exchange SID is composed of developers, they want the land for a hotel and a turn around for the hotel for drop offs. But as I said before, there is no paper work or drawings for the public to see. You are just gullible to believe everything that the Fulop team says. At 3 different caucus meetings Councilman Yun asked for paper work, he never received it before the meeting. Check the caucus meeting videos, his words are there.

I?ll take gullible over batshit any day of the week. By the way, aren?t you the one who claims you never get personal? Me thinks the lady has no idea who she really is.

Posted on: 2018/6/25 11:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
A little background the Exchange SID is composed of developers, they want the land for a hotel and a turn around for the hotel for drop offs. But as I said before, there is no paper work or drawings for the public to see. You are just gullible to believe everything that the Fulop team says. At 3 different caucus meetings Councilman Yun asked for paper work, he never received it before the meeting. Check the caucus meeting videos, his words are there.

Posted on: 2018/6/25 1:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
It was a land grab plain and simple, first Fulop insulted the Polish people when he went on the radio, and said the Polish government help Nazi Germany. You can google those comments. It doesn't matter Poland was invade in 1939 by Nazi Germany. People were upset, and it was not just Polish people speaking. Members of the NAACP also spoke in favor of leaving the statue. What bothered me was there was no information on the SID about this so-call Water Park they wanted to put there. This council and mayor ran on transparency, but everything is hush-hush.

Are you kidding me? The city is taking public land, creating a public park, and the taxpayers aren?t footing the bill. A land grab suggests taking public land for private use. You?re grasping for straws here.

I thought they should have just moved the damn statue, because it?s ugly, and it has nothing to do with Jersey City, or even the United States. And I?m Polish.

I think they should be happy with the result they got. I wouldn?t have given it to them.

Posted on: 2018/6/25 0:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It was a land grab plain and simple, first Fulop insulted the Polish people when he went on the radio, and said the Polish government help Nazi Germany. You can google those comments. It doesn't matter Poland was invade in 1939 by Nazi Germany. People were upset, and it was not just Polish people speaking. Members of the NAACP also spoke in favor of leaving the statue. What bothered me was there was no information on the SID about this so-call Water Park they wanted to put there. This council and mayor ran on transparency, but everything is hush-hush.

Posted on: 2018/6/24 23:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
In 2014, Lavarro said, "Council President Rolando Lavarro said he, disagreed with the limitation." Now he is pushing this, so yes, this is payback.

9 hours, Yvonne. 9 HOURS. Over moving a freaking statue 100 yards.

If it's "payback" for anything, it's for dragging out a city council meeting to 3AM. That's just ridiculous.

Posted on: 2018/6/24 23:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
In 2014, Lavarro said, "Council President Rolando Lavarro said he, disagreed with the limitation." Now he is pushing this, so yes, this is payback. http://hudsonreporter.com/view/full_s ... rticle-JERSEY-CITY-BRIEFS

Posted on: 2018/6/23 11:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I realize that, Terrence, but this is nothing but payback for the public speaking against the administration on the removal of Katyn.

pay?back
?p??bak/Submit
noun
an act of revenge or retaliation.
"the drive-by shootings are mainly paybacks"

Says Mrs. holier than thou

Posted on: 2018/6/23 0:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I realize that, Terrence, but this is nothing but payback for the public speaking against the administration on the removal of Katyn.

Posted on: 2018/6/23 0:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
"Balcer said the council should reduce the number of public hearings it has at each meeting rather than limit how much time each speaker has to comment." That statement is incorrect, I said the council should limit the number of items on the agenda. In the past you would have 6 second reading ordinances, now it is 16. The council president control what ordinances are on the agenda, not the public.

I edited that, though in the email you sent me you noted how many more second reading ordinances there are now (just like you did in the above message).

Posted on: 2018/6/22 22:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
"Balcer said the council should reduce the number of public hearings it has at each meeting rather than limit how much time each speaker has to comment." That statement is incorrect, I said the council should limit the number of items on the agenda. In the past you would have 6 second reading ordinances, now it is 16. The council president control what ordinances are on the agenda, not the public.

Posted on: 2018/6/22 22:37

JC Council Proposes to Limit Public Speaking at Public Hearings
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
By Terrence T. McDonald tmcdonald@jjournal.com
The Jersey Journal

JERSEY CITY ? In the aftermath of the City Council's June 13 meeting that dragged on for nine hours, the nine-member body is considering a new limit on how long members of the public can speak on an issue.

Under a measure up for initial OK next week, members of the public would have a five-minute cap on their comments during public hearings for ordinances on second reading, hearings for which there is currently no limit. The cap would mirror an existing one on speakers during each meeting's general public comment portion.

More

Posted on: 2018/6/22 21:32

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017