Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
48 user(s) are online (28 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 48

more...


Forum Index


Board index » All Posts (Ralph_Abutts)




Re: Jersey City Council to introduce $587 million budget with zero tax increase
#1
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Like your comment about the County Clerk (http://www.hudsoncountyclerk.org), you are clearly confused. I doubt that the city clerk stated such as the UFB is codified in law and thre will be one produced for 2018 for all municipalities. see here:
http://www.nj.gov/dca/divisions/dlgs/programs/mc_budgets.html

Posted on: 6/14 10:05
Top


Re: Kearny Mayor says Mayor Fulop Shoved Cop
#2
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Or better yet you could just spend a minute to look it up online and see that Junior is CURRENTLY the County Clerk.

Posted on: 6/14 9:57
Top


Re: Kearny Mayor says Mayor Fulop Shoved Cop
#3
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


The Hudson County Clerk is Junior M, Fulop's Ward E councilman predecessor.

The reporting is by DAVID WILDSTEIN, really?!?

(but not the bridgegate one, i had to check)

Posted on: 6/14 7:03
Top


Re: Jersey City Council to introduce $587 million budget with zero tax increase
#4
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


http://www.nj.gov/dca/divisions/dlgs/resources/fiscal_rpts.shtml

It is referred to as a "User Friendly Budget". Jersey City's is likely unavailable as of now because it has not adopted its 2018 budget. When it does and submits its document to the state, you can find it at the above link, look for it in the pull down list- not only for Jersey City, but all other municipalities, including Union City for 2018 and prior years. When I last checked a few weeks ago, many or all of the 2018 UFBs were not yet posted at the state website.

Posted on: 6/11 20:12
Top


Re: Will Jersey City and Hoboken ever lose Abbott District Status?
#5
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


You provided a link citing numbers and rankings by which you state jcps janitors are the highest paid in the country.

I am telling you those figures include other expenses in addition to their salaries. The stats you cite are misleading. I already alluded to as to why that is so.

To that end you are wrong with your repeated assertion, but hey don't let the facts get in the way of your tirade or being open to learning something new.

Posted on: 6/6 15:01
Top


Re: Will Jersey City and Hoboken ever lose Abbott District Status?
#6
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Quote:

brewster wrote:
Bullshit. That's not what the link nor the cut and paste I posted from the state site says. Call the the state document wrong if you like, but don't say I'm misleading anyone or failing to understand.


I worked with the State Board of Education and the Jersey City Public School district and specifically on this matter.

You can go to the source, the NJ School Report Card Database and look up _the source_ of this information, as in the link you provided, for starters - but you are just too lazy or full of yourself to do so - much like your unwillingness to comprehend the information provided. Likewise, you can do the same - look at the school (capital) budget as I indicated earlier.

Or better yet, bring it to the board of education's attention at the next monthly board meeting. I will guarantee you that someone from the board, whether it be a board member, the school BA, the facilities director (O'Reilly) will address what you incorrectly pontificate.

One can lead a horse to water, but cannot force them to drink. If you care to ignore the facts, so be it. But when you spread misinformation - and someone knowledgeable enough on the subject matter calls you out on it - own up to it.

Posted on: 6/6 10:41
Top


Re: Will Jersey City and Hoboken ever lose Abbott District Status?
#7
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


You ask a question. Answers are provided and you summarily ignore them.

You should attend a BoE meeting and ask such questions publicly at the the boe meeting.

Before you do, I will respond one more time for YOUR benefit. You state incorrectly that our janitors are the highest paid in the state and country.

One can access salary data crom the school district's open doc website and see that is defintely not the case. The link you provided is for total maintenace costs, which include other expenses than salry and benefits. Your comments are ignorant and misleading.

The school district pays most of its "capital expenditures" out of its operating budget. With that, that inflates maintenance costs as reported by the state boe website. The JCPS schools are costly to maintain because of their age. That's it in a nutshell. It's really nothing scandolous. Sorry.

As for the low median household income for JC, that only reinforces the argument for Abbott district funding.


Posted on: 6/5 19:02
Top


Re: Will Jersey City and Hoboken ever lose Abbott District Status?
#8
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Quote:

brewster wrote:
[quote]
That "100|101" means we spend more than 99 of 101 large NJ districts on operations salaries, which of course means we spend more than almost anyone in the country.


Ok, and... you do realize that NJ has the 2nd highest or so median household income in the country, too, with Northern NJ towing the South in that statistic.

Posted on: 6/5 14:37
Top


Re: Will Jersey City and Hoboken ever lose Abbott District Status?
#9
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Quote:

Kids that attend McNair probably have opportunities to go to private schools outside of the district, and McNair's prestige keeps them in the public school system.


Sure "probably", ehemm - no fallacy there - of course not.

How about kids at Liberty or Infinity High Schools in Jersey City? Why weren't they listed? (hint: they perform pretty well for an urban high school)

Resized Image

Posted on: 6/5 14:32
Top


Re: Will Jersey City and Hoboken ever lose Abbott District Status?
#10
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Quote:

brewster wrote:
To me the fact that we spend at the top for maintenance salaries...


Because the school district's buildings are much older than nearly all other school districts. Start counting how many of its schools are over a century in age - you may run out of fingers doing so. Also, look at the school district's capital budget - that will raise an eyebrow.

Posted on: 6/5 13:54
Top


Re: Will Jersey City and Hoboken ever lose Abbott District Status?
#11
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Because it's a magnet school. Its graduation rate is 100%, and that 100% rate is what keeps the overall JC graduation rate at 75%, almost 20% under the state average.
Individually
Dickinson 78%
Ferris 75%
Lincoln 69%
Snyder 51%


It's a magnet school for students that reside in Jersey City, only. If the student is not attending McNair, then they are attending one of the other high schools you listed. Innumeracy personified.

Posted on: 6/5 13:50
Top


Re: Will Jersey City and Hoboken ever lose Abbott District Status?
#12
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


"Jersey City high schools are among the worst in the state..." and then you cherry-pick using Ferris High School. How convenient. Why not include McNair?

Posted on: 6/5 12:20
Top


Re: Sweeney proposes slapping payroll tax on Jersey City businesses to fund schools
#13
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Gov Christie decreased the municipal appropriations budget cap to 2.5%. and a 2% tax levy cap. There are similar limits for county government and the amount of outstanding debt.

There's some limited exceptions/wiggle-room to the spending/tax cap for COLA and cap banking up to 3 years.

Before Christie, IIRC, it was McGreevy @ 4%, then 7% prior, etc. with the caps were first enacted in 1977.


Posted on: 6/5 12:15
Top


Re: Will Jersey City and Hoboken ever lose Abbott District Status?
#14
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Quote:

Monroe wrote:
[quote]
I'll research it later, but between when I was in high school and my kids were in high school I'd say there was 2-3X the number of non-teaching admin staff (in the same HS). This weighs much more financially than the salary of, say, a superintendent.


That's not necessary. However, understanding what was originally written is.

The point is, a higher superintendent's salary favors higher salaries for those "non-teaching admin staff" within the same school district. Capiche?

Posted on: 6/5 12:03
Top


Re: Will Jersey City and Hoboken ever lose Abbott District Status?
#15
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Correct all around, except, Brown vs. Board of Education was decided in 1954. (Sorry. That date was drilled into on me for the high school state regent's exam).

Posted on: 6/5 11:58
Top


Re: Will Jersey City and Hoboken ever lose Abbott District Status?
#16
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Regarding school district administrative costs, that may be explained in large part due to the salary cap for school district superintendents enacted by Governor Christie.

The school superintendent is the highest paid employee in the school distict. All other administrators, from the school business administrator, assistant superintendent, principals, etc. cascade off/scale down off the compensation of its school superintendent.

Since larger school districts have a higher salary cap for its school superintendent, the same becomes true for its contractually negotitated (noncollectively) administrative staff.

The admin costs you list adhere to that principal. That principal also applies to the private sector, in particular for publicly traded companies. CEO salaries were once upon a time reasonably close to the average worker at the firm. It did not rapidly escalate until they were required to publicly disclose in their SEC filings.

The same is true with school superintendents or if you are a sports fan, athletes, which closley watch what the going rate is for compensation in their field. It is a race to the top. That brought in the salary cap by Christie. School super's salaries (contracts) are publicly disclosed in the board of ed meetimg notes.


Posted on: 6/4 20:16
Top


Re: Pulaski Skyway to close for 2 years after Super Bowl:
#17
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


This evening I drove on the north side of the bridge, which was closed due to work, while the south side remained open to traffic for months on end. The south side was closed today, presumably for final touch up work.

The point > I think the bridge will be completely open in both directions real soon.

Posted on: 6/4 19:43
Top


Red Bank School District
#18
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


As an example, Red Bank may be content with its current configuration and yes have a strong home-rule attitude. However, they persistently raise the issue about how they are underfunded with state aid.

To JPHurst's point, it's not "arrant" (arrogant?) nonsense. The state can provide a big financial incentive to consolidate. Do it or no aid for your town.

The state provides financial incentives for municipalities to cut costs by doing shared (joint) service agreements use the state's Regional Efficiency Aid Program.

Red Bank is already well aware of the benefits of consolidation and cost sharing as it contains a REGIONAL high school.

Sure the school funding formula is front n center now, as you correctly pointed out. At some point there will be a tipping point with the NJ home rule mentality due to high taxes in NJ. As bad as it is for municipalities, it is much worse for local public education.

Posted on: 6/4 15:28
Top


Re: Will Jersey City and Hoboken ever lose Abbott District Status?
#19
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


To JPHurst's point, Steve Sweeney recently expressed such sentiment and that school district consolidation is necessary.

For instance, New Jersey has over 600 school districts, which is more than it has municipalities at a count of 535.

Posted on: 6/4 12:57
Top


Re: Will Jersey City and Hoboken ever lose Abbott District Status?
#20
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Complaints about Abbott funding towards Jersey City educating many students from low income families has some merit. And there are many in JC, like 80%+ that qualify for free or reduced price school lunches.

However to counter that, there has been little attention given to how the majority of nj municipalities have not met their COAH obligations, while Jersey City has stepped up in this regard.

NIMBYs should be careful to not rattle the sword too much, it may backfire...

Posted on: 6/3 8:52
Top


Re: Hoboken - contesting a ticket advice
#21
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Sorry to read about your situation. You should consider getting a dash cam for your car for this very reason, among others. They are inexpensive and are easy to DIY setup/install.

Posted on: 5/30 19:55
Top


Re: Swim lessons
#22
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Yes, the jcps have pools open during the summer like ferris and ps 16. There is also the college/universitys, too like St Peters, Stevens in Hoboken, JCU. There is also Newport fitness, Sky fitness (hoboken border) and of course the municipal pools like pershing and pavonia. Some are open to the general public, others just students, senior citizens, summer campers, and those that sign up for swim lessons or are part of a swim team like Scarlet aquatics. My family has used these pools in one capacity or another as well as Bayonne's municipal pool around 16th st Iirc and Lincoln school's indoor pool. Or you can be like Dancing Tony and do your swimming in the morris canal by LSP.

Posted on: 5/29 20:12
Top


Re: 1800's Grammar School to be torn down in Paulus Hook
#23
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Captain Al's is no more. He sold the property to a condo developer.

Posted on: 5/20 9:00
Top


Re: Land Value.
#24
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


You never did answer the question, what are your credentials? And why is that so? And do you know what is a CTA?

It is clear you do not fully comprehend the *economic* impact of the reval and the reason for my one-time phase-in revaluation comments. The Mayor does. It was evident in his city address this past week.

But then regarding economics, I am wasting my time again arguing with someone "evidence based" <> who equates lack of access to one (1) ball field as an insufficient supply of ball fields throughout the city. And additionally proposes having more of such at the expense of an already limited supply of open/wild/greenspace (LSP).

Perhaps you do understand, but your emotions get in the way of clear, rational thinking. Or more like wishing upon how things should be, e.g. "fairness", a plethora of "normative statements" versus how they are, positive statements - "evidence based".

Posted on: 2/25 13:44
Top


Re: Land Value.
#25
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Regarding "ignorance", I am a CTA. What are your credentials?
I will not delete my account, thank you. If someone is looking for advice or needs help with an appeal, I am available for hire. However, you will need to find me offline. I'm more than busy enough already with no need to actively solicit for more work.

Posted on: 2/25 9:26
Top


Re: Land Value.
#26
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


I could answer the question of how land is valued, but then it would be drowned out by a lot of sophomoric comments. Not worth it. Folks rather blather on about every single topic rather than listen. The poor signal to noise ratio is a major turn off than drives quality contributors away further aggrevating the condition of this website.

Posted on: 2/19 8:45
Top


Re: New Tax Rate is Insane!
#27
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Quote:

brewster wrote:
[quote]
LOL! So true.


Yrah, like your banging on about a single little league baseball field equating that with an insufficient supply of ball fields. Got it. Your too busy trying to climb out of the big kettle to notice how black it is...

Posted on: 2/16 7:02
Top


Re: Blue Lotus
#28
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Well if it does not suit your fancy, there are _many_ options somewhat close by on Newark Ave, JSQ area.

Posted on: 2/15 16:53
Top


Re: New Tax Rate is Insane!
#29
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Quote:

Well put. People calling for a phase in are being greedy and encouraging more bad behavior.


Not really. Rather this conversation is just above the level of comprehension and analytical capability for some folk.

Posted on: 2/15 16:50
Top


Re: New Tax Rate is Insane!
#30
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


You are all over the place with your responses.

The point is the entire city would be better off, including those with reduced assessments, if the state made a one time exception and had a stepup/phase in assessment. If so, the current reval would never have taken as long as it did to finally occur. The incentives to do so were not right under the current law.

Additionally, the current state law should be amended to explicitly penalize those municipalities that do not adhere to the law like withholding state aid, removing tax cap exceptions, etc. Thay is, it will provide them with a strong incentive to do revals on a regular basis.

Posted on: 2/15 6:27
Top



TopTop
(1) 2 3 4 5 »






Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017