Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
63 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 63

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: Rainbow to be replaced by Hoboken restaurant group responsible for 1 Republik
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

thirstyquaker wrote:
I doubt that is true. My understanding is that to qualify to move a liquor license to restaurant row the location must be a restaurant, and a place can not simultaneously be a restaurant and a nightclub. Jersey City law would not allow them to operate as a club if they want a liquor license on restaurant row. They would need to keep seating and would not be able to have live DJs without some special licensing.

Plus there's the fact that the owner said it would be another 1 Republik and a Gastropub.

Quote:
According to proprietor Kenneth Caulfield, the restaurants will be another location of Hoboken?s 1 Republik as well as another restaurant named 26 Below. Caulfield told Jersey Digs that he is not sure yet when the businesses will open and how many seats each space will have, but he expects a ?fine dining gastropub? feel.

I may be proven wrong, I haven't seen the space or the new sign or anything, but a gay nightclub does not sound like it is in the cards. I'm not sure a nightclub of any kind is in the cards, especially considering that Transmission was shut down and is only doing private events now, from what I've heard.

About Transmission, you heard wrong. They are a weird restaurant/bar combination, and going by Beat Street.

http://www.beatstreetjerseycity.com

Posted on: 2017/11/20 17:52

Re: Rainbow to be replaced by Hoboken restaurant group responsible for 1 Republik
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/25 1:51
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I doubt that is true. My understanding is that to qualify to move a liquor license to restaurant row the location must be a restaurant, and a place can not simultaneously be a restaurant and a nightclub. Jersey City law would not allow them to operate as a club if they want a liquor license on restaurant row. They would need to keep seating and would not be able to have live DJs without some special licensing.

Plus there's the fact that the owner said it would be another 1 Republik and a Gastropub.

Quote:
According to proprietor Kenneth Caulfield, the restaurants will be another location of Hoboken?s 1 Republik as well as another restaurant named 26 Below. Caulfield told Jersey Digs that he is not sure yet when the businesses will open and how many seats each space will have, but he expects a ?fine dining gastropub? feel.

I may be proven wrong, I haven't seen the space or the new sign or anything, but a gay nightclub does not sound like it is in the cards. I'm not sure a nightclub of any kind is in the cards, especially considering that Transmission was shut down and is only doing private events now, from what I've heard.

Posted on: 2017/11/20 16:43

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/28 21:42
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Is this true? This would be amazing...

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I was out and about last night, and one of my buddies just got a job offer at this spot which will be a full gay club not a bar. I wish them luck! The sign is perfect!

Posted on: 2017/11/20 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I was out and about last night, and one of my buddies just got a job offer at this spot which will be a full gay club not a bar. I wish them luck! The sign is perfect!

Posted on: 2017/11/18 13:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
If you bought that home 10 years ago, your improved net worth is probably a pretty good indicator of the progress that people are talking about. And while I agree that nobody likes drunken young guys carousing around (except maybe drunken young women?), it's hard to understand someone who'd prefer going back to the Newark Ave of 2006.

nobody is suggesting we go back to the Newark Ave of 2006. we're just wondering why the only other option is the Hobroken of 2016.

False dichotomy. Why are those are the only two options?

Posted on: 2016/8/31 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
If you bought that home 10 years ago, your improved net worth is probably a pretty good indicator of the progress that people are talking about. And while I agree that nobody likes drunken young guys carousing around (except maybe drunken young women?), it's hard to understand someone who'd prefer going back to the Newark Ave of 2006.

nobody is suggesting we go back to the Newark Ave of 2006. we're just wondering why the only other option is the Hobroken of 2016.

Posted on: 2016/8/31 19:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
I for one welcome our new bro overlords.

The replacement of sorry discount stores (that none of the hipsters shrieking about this bar ever went to) with places for wealthier people and/or "out of towners" helps our property values.

Here is a newsflash, there's a lot of people under 35 here in Jersey City like myself who are not looking for an organic emporium selling $10 coffee or a hipster dive with $8 PBR, but rather a normal sports bar. This demographic is increasing. If the hipsters don't get all the L train refugees here, and they probably won't, those taking issue best make their way up to Heights, the dollar store capital of NJ. Until the Hoboken people start moving up there, and then what?

Mayor Fulop ought to get on this. Instead a burkini ban, maybe a tank top ban?

Posted on: 2016/8/31 19:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/8/31 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
I think a lot of you guys are getting capitalism and free enterprise mixed up in the changing neighborhood argument.

Personally, I have no gripe with Rainbow. It's whatever. I also have no gripe with somebody wishing to open something else in that space.

I do have a gripe with people coming in from out of town, acting like buffoons, driving drunk, smashing bottles, and generally being shitheels, then heading home to other towns, leaving me with their broken glass and piss.
When Porta opened, the amount of people that fit that description increased somewhat. South House the same. Talde too to a degree.
This is absolutely part of a changing neighborhood scenario. With successful nightlife comes the crappy byproducts of successful nightlife. You know, jerks.

What I think a lot of you guys here are missing is that it's ok to both want change AND to have reservations about the opening of a bar from an ownership group that specifically courts an out of town client for weekend revelry.

I'm going to wait to see what the theme of the place will be before I get my knickers fully in a twist. If it's something like Porta or South House, cool. I dig the theme of good looking places with solid date night menus that turn into party spots on Friday.
If it's 2Republik, I'll be a little bummed about it. I really don't wanna see people flooding my street looking for pitchers of Coors to wash down their reheated frozen wings. We really truly don't need a place like that on the plaza. It won't add anything to the neighborhood to the people that live here.

This is it EXACTLY.

As I lie here in my home of ten years, listening to the celebratory screaming and Honking that erupted on Newark Ave at 2:30am, I wonder if anyone calling this "progress" lives within 2 blocks of the plaza.

Posted on: 2016/8/28 7:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
I think a lot of you guys are getting capitalism and free enterprise mixed up in the changing neighborhood argument.

Personally, I have no gripe with Rainbow. It's whatever. I also have no gripe with somebody wishing to open something else in that space.

I do have a gripe with people coming in from out of town, acting like buffoons, driving drunk, smashing bottles, and generally being shitheels, then heading home to other towns, leaving me with their broken glass and piss.
When Porta opened, the amount of people that fit that description increased somewhat. South House the same. Talde too to a degree.
This is absolutely part of a changing neighborhood scenario. With successful nightlife comes the crappy byproducts of successful nightlife. You know, jerks.

What I think a lot of you guys here are missing is that it's ok to both want change AND to have reservations about the opening of a bar from an ownership group that specifically courts an out of town client for weekend revelry.

I'm going to wait to see what the theme of the place will be before I get my knickers fully in a twist. If it's something like Porta or South House, cool. I dig the theme of good looking places with solid date night menus that turn into party spots on Friday.
If it's 2Republik, I'll be a little bummed about it. I really don't wanna see people flooding my street looking for pitchers of Coors to wash down their reheated frozen wings. We really truly don't need a place like that on the plaza. It won't add anything to the neighborhood to the people that live here.

Posted on: 2016/8/27 11:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 12:40
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mpwJC wrote:
If you don't like this kind of bar, don't be a patron of it. If enough people do the same, the bar will close, and maybe something that is more in line with your vision of positive change will replace it.

The way I see it, these people are investing in Jersey City in the way that they see fit. You are free to invest in Jersey City in your own ways. The market will decide who wins.

AMEN to that!

Posted on: 2016/8/26 23:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
I love listening to these ridiculous Jersey City liberals. They are all for change and diversity including when it comes to commercial establishments!!!*

* As long as it comports with their current progressive ideals and favored diversity demographic.

What a bunch of hypocrites.

Exactly. Much of the criticism is thinly veiled racism against white people, specifically "bros."

Imagine if some low income housing projects were going to be put there instead. Bet you wouldn't hear a peep from the current complainers.

oh please. if you only knew how ridiculous you sound. some of the ones worried about 1Republic taking up the biggest storefront on Newark Ave are those of us who enjoy the plaza nightlife as it is: an eclectic mixture of families and couples and partiers. a huge bro-bar could very possibly tilt that equation significantly enough to make the plaza un-enjoyable for anyone who's not in that demographic. one that, as of now, is mostly imported from elsewhere.

I love that you accuse me of not knowing how ridiculous I sound and in the same breath, refer to a demographic "imported from elsewhere." As if you've never heard of the concept of a city.

just this week, I witnessed two separate incidents of drunken frat boys - fresh off the Plaza - harassing cab drivers outside the Grove Street PATH station: punching the cab, screaming at them to "turn the f*cking meter on and drive!" and generally behaving like entitled douchebags.

they were heading back to the elsewhere from whence they came, and we can look forward to more of them when 1Republik South opens its doors.

hooray for progress.

It's clearly progress for anyone who has lived in DTJC for more than the past few years.

Posted on: 2016/8/26 20:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
The ultimate sign of privilege is complaining about having to watch streets filled with people on the weekends visiting restaurants and god forbid, LEGALLY drink alcohol and yes, LEGALLY be intoxicated and walk home.

Last time I checked, harassment by drunk individuals in Hoboken is NOT AN EPIDEMIC and is not increasing every year. What has gone down over the past 10-12 years in DTJC? VIOLENT CRIME.

What Dan L and others here recall from 10-12 years ago about DTJC more diversity and more art and culture and all that stuff is fictional. It stems from the "I can't afford to live in the area anymore" disease. Please get that checked out.

The DTJC of 10-12 years ago was pretty crappy with fear of muggings and harassment from criminals up and down newark ave.

If you want the DTJC of 12 years ago, go to greenville.

Posted on: 2016/8/26 20:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
I love listening to these ridiculous Jersey City liberals. They are all for change and diversity including when it comes to commercial establishments!!!*

* As long as it comports with their current progressive ideals and favored diversity demographic.

Exactly. Much of the criticism is thinly veiled racism against white people, specifically "bros."

Imagine if some low income housing projects were going to be put there instead. Bet you wouldn't hear a peep from the current complainers.

oh please. if you only knew how ridiculous you sound. some of the ones worried about 1Republic taking up the biggest storefront on Newark Ave are those of us who enjoy the plaza nightlife as it is: an eclectic mixture of families and couples and partiers. a huge bro-bar could very possibly tilt that equation significantly enough to make the plaza un-enjoyable for anyone who's not in that demographic. one that, as of now, is mostly imported from elsewhere.

I love that you accuse me of not knowing how ridiculous I sound and in the same breath, refer to a demographic "imported from elsewhere." As if you've never heard of the concept of a city.

just this week, I witnessed two separate incidents of drunken frat boys - fresh off the Plaza - harassing cab drivers outside the Grove Street PATH station: punching the cab, screaming at them to "turn the f*cking meter on and drive!" and generally behaving like entitled douchebags.

they were heading back to the elsewhere from whence they came, and we can look forward to more of them when 1Republik South opens its doors.

hooray for progress.

Posted on: 2016/8/26 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Imported demographic ???!!!! Are you even listening to yourself? Better watch it now. There are a lot of different types of "imported demographics" that wouldn't take too kindly to being stigmatized like that. They will shame you to death if you're not careful.

Posted on: 2016/8/26 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Adonis wrote:

Posted on: 2016/8/26 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Adonis wrote:

Not In My Pedestrian Plaza is the new NIMBY

The only constant in urban areas is change itself and you don't get to preserve the current state in amber.

This bar will only succeed if it has enough customers. And if that's the case, who are we to say it shouldn't exist?

Posted on: 2016/8/26 17:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Adonis wrote:

Posted on: 2016/8/26 16:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Adonis wrote:

Posted on: 2016/8/26 16:43

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/3 13:26
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
If you don't like this kind of bar, don't be a patron of it. If enough people do the same, the bar will close, and maybe something that is more in line with your vision of positive change will replace it.

The way I see it, these people are investing in Jersey City in the way that they see fit. You are free to invest in Jersey City in your own ways. The market will decide who wins.

Posted on: 2016/8/26 16:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/8/26 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Wow a lot of words being thrown around without much being said. This is Jersey CITY. If you don't like it you are free to move.

Posted on: 2016/8/26 5:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I guess those of you guys on here who think the people who are opposing the "genre" of bar that this would fall under, are automatically resistant to change.

I would suggest that most of the Jersey City people who have a negative opinion of this proposed bar are NOT opposed to change, and are in fact generally a proponent of positive changes around DTJC.

In a neighborhood in transition, there is an inherent air of change that yes, is inevitable, due to an influx of people with more disposable income than there was before, into a neighborhood. This type of change occurs all the time in urban neighborhoods WITHOUT the kind of change that this proposed establishment symbolizes.

Posted on: 2016/8/26 4:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Some people enjoy pissing in the wind.

Posted on: 2016/8/26 3:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/5 1:44
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I get it. Sometimes the sentiment is well founded however. It's not really a rent question per se as you note. If the market supports douche establishments than so be it. If the demo supports it, then case closed. That's the market right?

These ops so far have little to do with the economics. Just stating their thoughts concerning the transition from Hoboken to Jersey City. Few would doubt that Jersey City is the next Hoboken, might as well as accept and shut ya mouth?!

Posted on: 2016/8/26 0:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 12:40
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
People love to be armchair entrepreneurs. If they don't want something to go in a particular location because they feel something else would be a better fit for the space, they are always welcome to put up the funds to buy / rent the property and open what they see fit.

I love it when people try to tell others how they should risk their hard earned money.

Posted on: 2016/8/25 22:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Petition translation: waah, waah, waah, JC is changing, and I am upset things are not being done to my liking or preference. And, someone told me I am special and that I could always have things done my way.

In all seriousness: so a new place is opening, and it might cater to a younger clientele, and so what? Jersey City will not implode because a new bar is opening on Newark Avenue. Give the place a chance and then make up your mind. If younger folks and businesses that attract them scare you, well... you have other issues. We can all coexist. This city is thriving because we are successfully attracting younger folks, and young families, and will hopefully continue to do so.

Posted on: 2016/8/25 15:01

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/13 14:37
From 07302
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I understand why some people don't like it, however - what else is going into that space? The rent on Tendershoot Farms is $22k per month, the Rainbow space would be at least double that. The petitioner wants a "mom and pop" establishment to go into a space that costs upwards of $50k per month?

I'm may be in the minority in looking forward to OneRepublik (or whatever it will be called) going into that space, but even I don't want an entire block of sports bars. Isn't there enough room for a sports bar and other smaller establishments? Diversity is usually a great thing.

Posted on: 2016/8/25 14:49

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/23 15:23
From The Village
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/8/25 14:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
Quote:

owlie wrote:
Sigh... just what we need is yet another Bar. How about something we don't have...like a real Mediterranean Restaurant or a real Japanese-owned restaurant (enough of the asian fusion places). I would like anything that would be good for a more diverse group other than just sports minded people.

Rumi is great and the spot is waaaaaay too big for a sushi restaurant.

I was going to say the same... DTJC definitely has a great Mediterranean restaurant in Rumi. Or, for a quick bite or take out, there is Gipsy Grill which is hands down one of the cheapest lunch spots in all of DTJC.

I wouldn't mind a good Greek restaurant. Somewhere I could get my grilled octopus and retsina on. There are some very large tavernas in Astoria, but JC would not support a huge one. Too bad It's Greek to Me was vile.

Much of their food is just okay, but the grilled octopus at Battelo is really good. Looks good at Dolma, too, I haven't been, yet, though.

Posted on: 2016/8/10 19:57

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017