Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: HM news: Radio Shack and Flaming Grill & Buffet….
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nafco wrote:
I will say this about Radioshack. It was really the only place I can think of where you could actually buy adaptors for electronics that you just cant get at places like Best Buy or anywhere else. I would never buy electronics but for cables and such, it was great. Ill be said when it goes, and i need to order a $2 adaptor online and wait for it to be shipped to me. But thats the way everything is going now. Kinda sad that online is killing the commercial streetscape. Support Brick& Mortar!

Kinda sad that the automobile is killing the horse and buggy business. Support the equine industry!

Posted on: 2015/1/19 21:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
I will say this about Radioshack. It was really the only place I can think of where you could actually buy adaptors for electronics that you just cant get at places like Best Buy or anywhere else. I would never buy electronics but for cables and such, it was great. Ill be said when it goes, and i need to order a $2 adaptor online and wait for it to be shipped to me. But thats the way everything is going now. Kinda sad that online is killing the commercial streetscape. Support Brick& Mortar!

Posted on: 2015/1/19 17:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Radio Shack The 80's Called They Want Their Store Back Super Bowl Commercial

http://youtu.be/5Xph-FV04jo

Now that was one of the best Super Bowl commercials last year. Unfortunately, it couldn't save that joke of a chain.

Posted on: 2015/1/19 14:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Radio Shack The 80's Called They Want Their Store Back Super Bowl Commercial

http://youtu.be/5Xph-FV04jo

Posted on: 2015/1/19 1:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

tern wrote:
The Asian supermarket is a huge draw, I know a large number of people who now go there regularly.

Robin.

I usually stop there once a week for lunch and asian ingredients before picking up kids at LCCS. Lowes is also often on my stops, but I think I've actually been inside the mall 2x in 18 years.

Sad about RS, it was nice to be able to just go and buy electronic components, but there was no way the tiny number of customers for that stuff would keep them open, and they weren't able to sustain any other business model.

If you go inside the mall, there really is not much to make you stay. IMHO if Old Navy & Staples were to have Entrances/Exits inside the mall, maybe there would be more foot traffic. As for Radio Shack, that is no loss to anyone. They were overpriced & looking to make the bigger sales. I had an older cellphone that I needed a new battery for. I went on line & looked up the new number for the battery, went to the Shack & was told that I HAD to purchase a new phone; no batteries made for the phone any longer even though I gave the associate the new number for the item. I went to this dinky little place (not at the mall) & they had what I was looking for - no muss, no fuss, no trying to sell me something that I didn't want or need.

I have been to the Asian Market several times. I like trying the different items.

Now, another problem is accessability. If you do not have a car, you are stuck with taking the bus. Now the bus company that holds the NJT lease is an outfit called A & C Lines, Jersey City. They are a bunch of p$*%ks. You have to pay full price whether you are a senior or not, they do not issue or accept transfers & their schedule can be dicey in addition to not making many stops in the mall. If you have a large shopping cart, you cannot ride, if you have a small cart that the driver deems too full, you cannot ride, if you are not in the right place when the bus comes along, you are left there & have to wait for the next bus. Nice bunch & real good for mall business.

Posted on: 2015/1/18 22:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I also go to the Asian Market, but I've never been inside the mall. What is supposed to happen to the Mall when the light rail makes the great leap forward and the Bayfront project kicks in?

Posted on: 2015/1/18 21:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tern wrote:
The Asian supermarket is a huge draw, I know a large number of people who now go there regularly.

Robin.

I usually stop there once a week for lunch and asian ingredients before picking up kids at LCCS. Lowes is also often on my stops, but I think I've actually been inside the mall 2x in 18 years.

Sad about RS, it was nice to be able to just go and buy electronic components, but there was no way the tiny number of customers for that stuff would keep them open, and they weren't able to sustain any other business model.

Posted on: 2015/1/18 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Robin.

Posted on: 2015/1/18 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:

The Hudson Mall is well on its way to joining its brothers and sisters around the country on the website www.deadmalls.com.

That's pretty wrong actually. Most of those malls are in suburban places way out of the way. They were also anchored by the large box stores like sears and jc penney that went after the soccer moms and middle class. Hudson has actually done a fairly good job of transitioning to stores that cater more towards the working/lower-middle class of consumer that still buys things in brick & mortar stores.

Marshalls, Old Navy, Big Lots, Asian Market, Party City, Retro Fitness, Chuck E Cheese, Popeyes, Subway, Foot Locker, etc. Things you're either not buying on the internet or cater to a lower income range that still doesn't do a lot of online shopping.

That's what you're seeing there now and the stores that have held on while the places that competed with online and kept up high prices fell to the wayside: Radio Shack, Supersounds, Sixth Avenue Electronics.

Quote:

caj11 wrote:

I won't go inside that place anymore. Last time I was there was 2005, to get some new eyeglasses. Haven't been back since.

That's your problem. Quite frankly, in the past few years, people have been given more and more of a reason TO go there. You've got two food markets now, a decent gym, a large discount-stuffs store that is quite frankly this century's equivalent of a five&dime store and a family (kids) restaurant. Were it not so out of the way, I'd still be there every week instead of the infrequent downtown-dwelling local i am.

Posted on: 2015/1/18 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:

http://shophudsonmall.com/

Sad news at Hudson Mall? Radio Shack one of the first tenants from when it was converted to an enclosed mall from an open strip mall is leaving. I got my first Realistic Stereo there in the 70?s. They have been having big sales since Christmas to get rid of their inventory. It is now 50% off everything in the store but there is really not much left. Dang where will I get my specialty batteries now?

The Hudson Mall is well on its way to joining its brothers and sisters around the country on the website www.deadmalls.com. I won't go inside that place anymore. Last time I was there was 2005, to get some new eyeglasses. Haven't been back since. But onto the more serious matter at hand...

I have fond memories of Radio Shack too from the 1980s and I try and shop there, over at Newport Mall and elsewhere, in the interests of keeping the competition alive with Best Buy. But Radio Shack makes it SOOOO hard for me to do that. Every time I go to a store looking for an electronics part, it's out of stock, about 90% of the time. They do have a full selection of Big Bang Theory-themed bobbleheads though. Everybody in the store is an assistant manager, yet nobody seems to know anything. I don't get the company's priorities. So I inevitably end up at Best Buy, or looking online and inevitably find what I'm looking for. Good luck surviving bankruptcy Radio Shack, you're going to need it.

Posted on: 2015/1/18 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Morning for radio shack...hmm do you mourn for the horse and carriage and the typewriter also?

And the Pony Express lets not forget the Pony Express. I was a big Radio Shack fan when they actually sold radios, along with parts and adapters. I lived in that store, couldn't wait for their catalog every year.

Posted on: 2015/1/18 11:26
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Morning for radio shack...hmm do you mourn for the horse and carriage and the typewriter also?

Posted on: 2015/1/18 5:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Pretty sure Radio Shack is about to file for bankruptcy.

I'm not sure if they are planning to reorganize in bankruptcy and continue operating, but you will start to see Radio Shacks all over the country close up.

Posted on: 2015/1/18 4:21

HM news: Radio Shack and Flaming Grill & Buffet….
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

http://shophudsonmall.com/

Sad news at Hudson Mall? Radio Shack one of the first tenants from when it was converted to an enclosed mall from an open strip mall is leaving. I got my first Realistic Stereo there in the 70?s. They have been having big sales since Christmas to get rid of their inventory. It is now 50% off everything in the store but there is really not much left. Dang where will I get my specialty batteries now?

I also noticed a yellow JC construction permit in one of the big empty clothing store spaces next to H & R Block. I looked around the HM web site and noticed a new restaurant is opening in 2015 named Flaming Grill & Buffet (10,800 sf space) Gee why did they get rid of good old Wok and Roll?

This is the web site for a Flaming Grill & Supreme Buffet in Rutherford, NJ on rt 17. I don?t know if it is the same owners.

http://flaminggrillbuffet.com/

For my JC history piece I couldn?t find a picture of the mall but here is something that is close? a 1964 picture of Two Guys. It was in the area that is now Lowes. It?s the third picture. After Two Guys left there was a variety of stores in the space Bradlee?s , Odd Lot?s, and Shop Rite. There was even a Fun Buffet Two Chinese restaurant.

http://pleasantfamilyshopping.blogspo ... -stores-1964-edition.html

?. 200,000 square foot monster of a store from Jersey City, N.J., which was located on Route 440 and Communipaw Avenue.

Posted on: 2015/1/17 20:13

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017