Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
134 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 134

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: McGreevey, Fulop announce food truck venture staffed by ex-inmates
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
The food trucks, from what I can tell are still operating at least 300 feet from nearest restaurant on Grove Plaza, the food tables, on the other hand, may not be. But the tables may not fit the definition of "mobile food vendor establishment[s]" in the way that food trucks do, in the ordinance. Everything is definitely 300 feet away from Ibby's and Two Boots in any case, and they seem to be the biggest complainers about all this.

Actually, if you go by the letter of the law, ALL OF THE FOOD TRUCKS in the Grove St Plaza are breaking the law. They are certainly within 300 feet of the Bistro at Grove. Even if you park them at the corner of Columbus and Marin, they would be within 300 feet of Kitchen at Grove Station.

Quote:

I also agree with JCMan8, we have businesses here using the government to force the competition out, and denying the consumers their freedom to choose. Furthermore, I still don't get the Two Boots case. NO food trucks sell pizza and NO ONE at the market sells pizza. Ibby's of course has a stronger case because there are mobile food vendors that sell some of the same items. But maybe Ibby's should just give people a reason to walk to their establishment because of better food, rather than using the government to reduce its competition.

I sort of agree with you on this, and that is partly why I don't want to come across as giving brick and mortar establishments a complete pass on the matter. I think that some places like Ibby's serve a poorer product, at a higher price. When they were the only game in town, that was OK. Now we have other options like Gipsy Grill, which is EXCELLENT and gets my money EVERY TIME I get a hankering for that kind of food. But, to begrudge the restaurant owners their right to petition the government for laws favorable to them, well... that's democracy in action. They organized themselves, they lobbied the government and they got what they wanted. There is nothing inherently wrong with that, if you accept that we live in a democracy. Now, if they abuse that power to stifle competition, and the government allows that, well, your beef should be with the city council. They approved the ordinances banning food trucks within 300 feet of the restaurants. Personally, I love the food trucks (though I seldom patronize them) and I think there is a place for everyone. User1111 has a good idea: move them to the waterfront. It could have the benefit of driving food traffic to that area, which could be much more than it is today.

Posted on: 2014/12/16 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Why not move the trucks to the waterfront area? Nothing is going on down there anyway. Just move them away from restaurant row..

Posted on: 2014/12/16 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Also, where's this city ordinance with the 300 foot rule? I sure haven't read anything about that in any of the news stories. Why don't you post that?

Just because you don't believe it doesn't exist, it doesn't you are right. You are being very argumentative on this thread, so I am hesitant to inject myself in this conversation. But, I am doing so only to post the ordinance in question. See below for the actual ordinance. The emphasis (bold lettering) is mine to point out the actual details in question. Aaron, from Two Boots, is correct about the law.

? 175-10. - Use of streets by mobile food vendors; physically handicapped persons. [Amended 5-10-2006 by Ord. No. 06-064; ; ; ]
A.
No person conducting, operating as a mobile food vendor shall be permitted to sell food or drink within the area designated as The Journal Square Special Improvement District, which area is more particularly described by block and lot numbers and street addresses as set forth in Schedule A to Chapter 69 of this Code on file in the Office of the Jersey City Clerk. No person conducting, operating or maintaining a mobile food vendor establishment, shall be permitted to sell food or drink within three hundred (300) feet of any licensed eating and drinking establishment, nor shall he or she be permitted to remain in any location for a period exceeding one hundred twenty (120) minutes during a four-hour period. The provisions of this section shall be enforced by the Police Department and the Division of Health.

BTW, in the future, you can look up ordinances and laws by using the municode website, which is excellent and has seen some improvements as of late. Here is the link: Jersey City Municipal Codes

I didn't say that I believed the law did not exist. I just had not read about it in any of the news stories and find it very surprising that it was never mentioned. Consider my white flag waved. The food trucks, from what I can tell are still operating at least 300 feet from nearest restaurant on Grove Plaza, the food tables, on the other hand, may not be. But the tables may not fit the definition of "mobile food vendor establishment[s]" in the way that food trucks do, in the ordinance. Everything is definitely 300 feet away from Ibby's and Two Boots in any case, and they seem to be the biggest complainers about all this.

I also agree with JCMan8, we have businesses here using the government to force the competition out, and denying the consumers their freedom to choose. Furthermore, I still don't get the Two Boots case. NO food trucks sell pizza and NO ONE at the market sells pizza. Ibby's of course has a stronger case because there are mobile food vendors that sell some of the same items. But maybe Ibby's should just give people a reason to walk to their establishment because of better food, rather than using the government to reduce its competition.

Posted on: 2014/12/16 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Also, where's this city ordinance with the 300 foot rule? I sure haven't read anything about that in any of the news stories. Why don't you post that?

Just because you don't believe it doesn't exist, it doesn't you are right. You are being very argumentative on this thread, so I am hesitant to inject myself in this conversation. But, I am doing so only to post the ordinance in question. See below for the actual ordinance. The emphasis (bold lettering) is mine to point out the actual details in question. Aaron, from Two Boots, is correct about the law.

? 175-10. - Use of streets by mobile food vendors; physically handicapped persons. [Amended 5-10-2006 by Ord. No. 06-064; ; ; ]
A.
No person conducting, operating as a mobile food vendor shall be permitted to sell food or drink within the area designated as The Journal Square Special Improvement District, which area is more particularly described by block and lot numbers and street addresses as set forth in Schedule A to Chapter 69 of this Code on file in the Office of the Jersey City Clerk. No person conducting, operating or maintaining a mobile food vendor establishment, shall be permitted to sell food or drink within three hundred (300) feet of any licensed eating and drinking establishment, nor shall he or she be permitted to remain in any location for a period exceeding one hundred twenty (120) minutes during a four-hour period. The provisions of this section shall be enforced by the Police Department and the Division of Health.

BTW, in the future, you can look up ordinances and laws by using the municode website, which is excellent and has seen some improvements as of late. Here is the link: Jersey City Municipal Codes

He is correct about the law but it was only recently passed (within the past 2 years). I'm sure business owners lobbied heavily to get it in. I don't think it means much.

IMO, this whole crusade is an attempt to use the government to cripple their competition. I hope it fails.

Posted on: 2014/12/16 15:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:

A.

Posted on: 2014/12/16 14:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Most of the food that is sold at the market is meant to be eaten on the go so I imagine that would compete directly with a similar food in pizza.

Posted on: 2014/12/15 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TwoBootsJC wrote:
No worries Ken. Thankfully we've received lots of support from people in the area who understand that the downtown is improving because people are investing in brick and mortar, fixing up decrepit old buildings, hiring Jersey City residents, paying taxes and doing for the community all of the things that brick and mortar stores do (and that food trucks and tables don't). And I won't out the other restaurants. They haven't given me the authority to alienate people like you on their behalf.

And caj11 (whoever you are), your accusation that I don't want to compete is a joke. There's no one who has more competition than Two Boots. Have you counted the pizzerias? Please. And, by the way, I welcome it. But competition needs to be fair. When the government (or HDSID) steps in and offers subsidized, way below market rent in Jersey City's best location, to vendors who have made none of the investments that we have, and have none of the costs, that ain't fair. Maybe in your book, but not mine (or any economist's that I know of).

On that note, I'm done.

I'm not done, Two Boots owner. You just contradicted yourself from one paragraph to the next. First, in your reply to Ken, you say that you've received "lots of support" from people in the area who understand that downtown is improving because people are investing in downtown restaurants. Then in the next paragraph you say that there's no one that has more competition than Two Boots, because of all the pizzerias in the area. So why did you come here if there was so much competition, none of which, by the way, sells pizza at the Grove Street Plaza market. Not one pizza seller at the market, only other brick and mortar places. You don't make any sense.

The Grove Street Plaza market was here, selling food, before Two Boots was around. You knew it was there, so deal with it. I also don't buy your "employing Jersey City residents" line. First, there are plenty of local people who work and have tables at the market (not everyone, but then, not every restaurant employee in Jersey City has a Jersey City address either). Furthermore, when one of your employees who lived in Jersey City when you hired them decides to move, for whatever reason, are they any less worthy of employment at your place? Will you be firing them because they don't hang their toothbrush in Jersey City? How do you know they spend every penny of their paycheck in Jersey City?

Posted on: 2014/12/15 14:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

Resized Image

Ex-Con Protests ?Orange is the New Black? Food Truck

http://observer.com/2014/06/free-pie- ... he-crazy-pyes-food-truck/

Posted on: 2014/12/15 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
If this makes governments more accepting of food trucks I'm all for it. I remember the Two Boots owner tried to get them banned from the Grove Street Farmer's Market.

I remember. I haven't given that place a penny since. I'm still looking forward to finding out who the other greedy cunts are that're trying to racketeer their businesses at the expenses of others.

Posted on: 2014/12/15 14:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think these guys eat Pork, but nice try though.

Posted on: 2014/12/15 13:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
On another note, looking at the picture I'm not sure I'd want to be the meat in a McGreevey/Fulop sandwich!

Posted on: 2014/12/15 12:20

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 16:02
Group:
Registered Users
No worries Ken. Thankfully we've received lots of support from people in the area who understand that the downtown is improving because people are investing in brick and mortar, fixing up decrepit old buildings, hiring Jersey City residents, paying taxes and doing for the community all of the things that brick and mortar stores do (and that food trucks and tables don't). And I won't out the other restaurants. They haven't given me the authority to alienate people like you on their behalf.

And caj11 (whoever you are), your accusation that I don't want to compete is a joke. There's no one who has more competition than Two Boots. Have you counted the pizzerias? Please. And, by the way, I welcome it. But competition needs to be fair. When the government (or HDSID) steps in and offers subsidized, way below market rent in Jersey City's best location, to vendors who have made none of the investments that we have, and have none of the costs, that ain't fair. Maybe in your book, but not mine (or any economist's that I know of).

On that note, I'm done.

Posted on: 2014/12/15 5:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TwoBootsJC wrote:
Hi JCMan8,

Just to set the record straight, 21 downtown restaurants, of which Two Boots is only one, have asked the Historic Downtown Special Improvement District to stop selling prepared foods at the farmers' market and run it like New York City, which has the leading green market program in the country and does not allow prepared foods of any kind. That would mean eliminating people selling "ready to eat food" from tables and, yes, from food trucks as well. (Just so you know, the sale of such foods both violates the HDSID's charter - which is to support local member-businesses - and Jersey City law, which requires a 300 foot buffer between food trucks and restaurants.)

Having said that, I am 100% behind any program that helps ex-cons find employment. I would imagine that the other signatories to the letter feel likewise.

Aaron (and what was your name?)

Really! Isn't that great. So then, you are against food trucks that are run by people without any criminal activity in their past, I guess?

I spoke with Candace Osborne's office this past week and the market isn't going to stop selling prepared foods anytime soon. What do you care? Your pizzeria seems to be doing just fine.

If there really is an ordinance with a 300 foot rule to separate the food trucks from brick and mortar establishments, then post it on here. Maybe there is, but there was no mention of it in any of the news articles discussing this dispute over the market.

Otherwise, learn to compete or leave Jersey City. There's plenty of other suburban towns, I'm sure, that could use a pizza place like yours, and you won't have to worry about the food trucks.

Posted on: 2014/12/15 5:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
What are those other 20 restaurants so I can avoid them too?

Posted on: 2014/12/15 4:57

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 16:02
Group:
Registered Users
Hi JCMan8,

Just to set the record straight, 21 downtown restaurants, of which Two Boots is only one, have asked the Historic Downtown Special Improvement District to stop selling prepared foods at the farmers' market and run it like New York City, which has the leading green market program in the country and does not allow prepared foods of any kind. That would mean eliminating people selling "ready to eat food" from tables and, yes, from food trucks as well. (Just so you know, the sale of such foods both violates the HDSID's charter - which is to support local member-businesses - and Jersey City law, which requires a 300 foot buffer between food trucks and restaurants.)

Having said that, I am 100% behind any program that helps ex-cons find employment. I would imagine that the other signatories to the letter feel likewise.

Aaron (and what was your name?)

Posted on: 2014/12/15 4:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
I still miss the Harvest Cart which used to park near the 8th St entrance of Hamilton Park. They had really good food. Not just burritos or stuff like that. Baked chicken, delicious meatloaf, roasted potatoes, veggies. It was a bachelor's dream. Then they were run out of town. The rumor was the guy who owned the Hamilton Park tavern after Maggie lodged the most complaints. Though that's just a rumor.

Posted on: 2014/12/13 14:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
If this makes governments more accepting of food trucks I'm all for it. I remember the Two Boots owner tried to get them banned from the Grove Street Farmer's Market.

Posted on: 2014/12/13 5:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 1:37
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
This is just fantastic! I have been trying to help someone in JC to get employment after incarceration, and it's such a tough battle. Nice to see the leadership is focused on this important issue.

Posted on: 2014/12/13 3:25

McGreevey, Fulop announce food truck venture staffed by ex-inmates
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Peter Genovese | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Resized Image

Specialty food trucks have experienced a resurgence in New Jersey the past three years.

A food truck venture announced today by former Gov. Jim McGreevey and Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop will be different, and revolutionary.

It will be staffed by ex-inmates.

More

Posted on: 2014/12/13 3:15

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017