Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
59 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 59

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Clear the Sewer Grates JC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Having to push a stroller through all the disrespectful lazy homeowners sidewalks has really pissed me off. Luckily I've got the last laugh. I simply take a photo, go onto the city website and file a complain through the online help center.
I reported 2 properties a week ago after waiting 24 hours after the snow ended and within the next 24 hours the city got back to me saying that they had sent an inspector and issued citations for both of the complaints.
This past storm when nobody had really shoveled yet, those propertied were shoveled.
Tonight I reported 3 more properties, one of which has been a repeat offender for the past 5 years. I hope they all get cited and that one property in particular, I will report every storm if I have too.
Shovel your damn Sidewalk!

I have thought about emailing Candice and Fulop about the end of the embankment because the complaint filing system requires an exact address and thus the embankment is not possible to file through the system.
If anyone has done this and received a response please post.

Posted on: 2014/2/7 4:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/29 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

scratchy wrote:
I don't know if this has been discussed but who is responsible for clearing the snow in front of the Embakment on all the streets that cross it? It never gets shoveled and I almost fell on my ass. Add the piles of dog crap and it makes for a really bad way to start the day.

The lack of responsibility by shown by Hyman should be demonstrative of their lack of taking ownership of property they claim is theirs. Since they have taken ownership of the embankment they have shown zero commitment to the care of the property. Their continued neglect should be considered abandonment.

Posted on: 2014/2/7 3:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I went out today to clear some sewer grates but I only have a plastic snow-shovel and it is useless against the piles of frozen snow. I'm going to see if I can get a good ice chopper tomorrow. One of the problems in my area is that it's hard to locate all the grates as many were removed or never were on some corners.

Posted on: 2014/2/7 2:55

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/7 0:44
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know if this has been discussed but who is responsible for clearing the snow in front of the Embakment on all the streets that cross it? It never gets shoveled and I almost fell on my ass. Add the piles of dog crap and it makes for a really bad way to start the day.

Posted on: 2014/2/7 2:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
No doubt. I wonder how much more expensive that method is than just shoveling it aside and burying cars and drains....

Posted on: 2014/2/7 0:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
Google "Montreal snow removal"... Those cats coordinate several vehicles, with one sucking up the snow and then blowing it into a dump truck that follows on its side. When the truck is full, an empty one arrives.

It is, apparently, all about sucking and blowing...:)

Posted on: 2014/2/7 0:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Most of the snow that is piled on corners is a result of the plowing pattern. The plows go in a straight line in one direction -- you can see it after they go through. They do not cut in at corners where there are no cars because then they would be moving out of the traffic lane. Consequently, the plows are dumping snow on the corners and the storm drains. What may work for drivers creates havoc for pedestrians.

There has to be a better way. Some smart person in another city that has a lot of snow has to have figured this out.

Posted on: 2014/2/7 0:21

Edited by K-Lo on 2014/2/7 0:48:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Erica wrote:
(I used to live in Cambridge/Boston, where it generally snows more than it does here, and that's how they do it. They also manage to have street cleaning just twice a month per side of the street, yet the streets look much better than JC's, but that's another thread...)

Perhaps Bostonians don't habitually toss their garbage out their car windows like JC'ers.

Posted on: 2014/2/6 17:29

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/9 18:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Erica wrote:
I agree that individuals can (and should) clear out the storm drains and make sure the snow/ice-melt has a path to them. I do on our corner, if not out of the neighborly goodness of my heart, then because I don't want to be the one trudging through slush and/or slipping on ice until spring...

But why doesn't the city use street cleaning time to come around and remove snow all the way to the curb and from corners/crosswalks? I understand suspending street cleaning during an actual storm, when you want to discourage people from driving. But the roads are clear today, schools & offices, etc. are open, why not make people move their cars?

Having clear streets and corners would make life between storms so much better, for both pedestrians and parkers.

(I used to live in Cambridge/Boston, where it generally snows more than it does here, and that's how they do it. They also manage to have street cleaning just twice a month per side of the street, yet the streets look much better than JC's, but that's another thread...)

Actually, most neighborhoods of Boston don't have any daytime street cleaning during the winter months. Certain main roads have nighttime parking restrictions that allows them to clean up those roads. But most residential streets will stay snow covered until it melts, so people resort to saving "their" shoveled spots with garbage cans, etc. I'm really happy that people don't do that here. I can't comment on Cambridge though, I never lived over there.
And, yes, I too miss the only weekly street cleaning!

Posted on: 2014/2/6 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/16 15:40
From Village
Group:
Registered Users
I agree that individuals can (and should) clear out the storm drains and make sure the snow/ice-melt has a path to them. I do on our corner, if not out of the neighborly goodness of my heart, then because I don't want to be the one trudging through slush and/or slipping on ice until spring...

But why doesn't the city use street cleaning time to come around and remove snow all the way to the curb and from corners/crosswalks? I understand suspending street cleaning during an actual storm, when you want to discourage people from driving. But the roads are clear today, schools & offices, etc. are open, why not make people move their cars?

Having clear streets and corners would make life between storms so much better, for both pedestrians and parkers.

Posted on: 2014/2/6 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

LoKo498 wrote:
Yea, when is the crew going to be going around to clear the corners & sewers?
Tons of water & slush on these newly paved crosswalks.
Sucks I can't cross tho!

why are we waiting for the city to do this? if you live on or near a corner, take an extra ten minutes and shovel a channel to the sewer. it's really not that hard.

+100 JCbiscuit

2 of my neighbors & I try to make a little channel next to the curb (just 6 in. or less) so melting snow can make its way to the sewer. We seldom have a lake or slush filled mess by our homes. If everyone took just 5 extra minutes to do this things would be so much easier.

Posted on: 2014/2/6 12:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LoKo498 wrote:
Sucks I can't cross tho!

why are we waiting for the city to do this? if you live on or near a corner, take an extra ten minutes and shovel a channel to the sewer. it's really not that hard.

Posted on: 2014/2/6 5:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Sucks I can't cross tho!

Posted on: 2014/2/6 2:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Just an FYI -

Snow Removal Statute
.February 5, 2014 at 11:40am
? 296-1.1. Duties of owners or occupants of residential property; time for removal.permanent link to this piece of content

Every owner, occupant or person having charge of a residential building or vacant lot shall, in case of a snowfall, clear such snow from the sidewalks and gutters thereof to the extent of one foot outside the curb in front of the building or lot, as well as on the side thereof where the building or lot faces on more than one street, within eight hours after the snow has fallen. If the snow has fallen during the night, removal shall be finished within eight hours after sunrise.

? 296-1.2. Duties of owners or occupants of commercial property; time for removal.permanent link to this piece of content

Every owner, occupant or person having charge of a commercial building or vacant lot shall, in case of a snowfall, clear such snow from the sidewalks and gutters thereof to the extent of one foot outside the curb in front of the building or lot, as well as on the side thereof where the building or lot faces on more than one street, within four hours after the snow has fallen. If the snow has fallen during the night, removal shall be finished within four hours after sunrise.

? 296-2. Snow removal.permanent link to this piece of content

After a snowstorm, no person shall shovel, throw or deposit any snow or ice from any sidewalk or gutter into the street after it has been plowed and opened up by city snow removal apparatus and personnel for vehicular traffic. Any person finding it necessary to clear a sidewalk or gutter, after said street has been opened for vehicular traffic, shall bank and pile the snow from the sidewalk within three feet inside the curb.

Posted on: 2014/2/5 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Another problem is people clearing their walks and piling the snow in the streets instead of their walks, where they are supposed to. When the snow melts it has nowhere to runoff and you wind up with a small lake where you should be able to cross the street.

Posted on: 2014/2/5 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hope you're also filing these complaints with Residents Response. It's a disaster.

Posted on: 2014/2/5 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
This snow is the heaviest, iciest yet. The plows are creating rock solid snow banks that are impenetrable to the average shovel.

Posted on: 2014/2/5 15:16

Clear the Sewer Grates JC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Walking around it is astounding to see how much water is accumulating on the streets. Culprit is sewer grates covered by trash and now piles of snow/ice.

It's a total petri dish in that water and it's gonna get a lot worse as this stuff melts unless city clears the grates. Hopefully the police and city workers aren't too tired from all the extra effort given to the superbowlers. How about a little help for the taxpayers?!

Posted on: 2014/2/5 15:08

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017