Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
50 user(s) are online (19 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 50

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Re: 400 Unit Development in Hamilton Park
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

stc4blues wrote:
Can't say the the images fill me with joy, but the design does seem to echo the stepped ziggurat motif you find in The Beacon and in other buildings in the city.

Stepped ziggurat? Looks more a 5-year old kid smashed his lego.

Yeah... stc4blues was exceedingly kind with that description. The art deco facade of The Beacon is magnitudes nicer than this project.

Posted on: 3/22 8:12
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stc4blues wrote:
Can't say the the images fill me with joy, but the design does seem to echo the stepped ziggurat motif you find in The Beacon and in other buildings in the city.

Stepped ziggurat? Looks more a 5-year old kid smashed his lego.

Posted on: 3/21 22:38
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users

IMGP1883rd [!SCRIPT FILTERED!]

Posted on: 3/21 14:03
Print Top

Re: 485 Marin
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
There is, seemingly, no ceiling to DTJC rental rates... I thought 5K for a 3bd was the absolute top, but recent buildings coming to market with those type of units (3bd) are asking well over that, with some even at 6K. Even with a promotional free month when signing your lease, you are looking at 5.5K.

As for whether or not these high rises are filling up, almost every new building coming onto the market fills up within a few months. I am no longer surprised by what the local market bears.

Rents have been falling in Manhattan this will probably happen in JC as well.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/article ... ents-fall-most-since-2011

Posted on: 3/21 13:48
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
KRE....just another Kushner family property. Great.

Posted on: 3/21 9:49
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frinjc wrote:
How is the filing of the high rises in NoHo - aka The Taint aka Soho West? There are a lot of rentals coming on the market, would be surprised they all fill up at these prices without investors discovering they have to give discount - and can't get decent ROI.

There is, seemingly, no ceiling to DTJC rental rates... I thought 5K for a 3bd was the absolute top, but recent buildings coming to market with those type of units (3bd) are asking well over that, with some even at 6K. Even with a promotional free month when signing your lease, you are looking at 5.5K.

As for whether or not these high rises are filling up, almost every new building coming onto the market fills up within a few months. I am no longer surprised by what the local market bears.

Posted on: 3/20 21:45
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
How is the filing of the high rises in NoHo - aka The Taint aka Soho West? There are a lot of rentals coming on the market, would be surprised they all fill up at these prices without investors discovering they have to give discount - and can't get decent ROI.

Posted on: 3/20 19:21
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
my point is that imo plenty of the bland towers going up in jersey city are ugly too. at least, this ugly building breaks the mold a bit. and as i said, it is MY OPINION. some may find the towers as well as 485 marin exciting and uplifting.Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
it ain't pretty but at least its not another boxed tower totally lacking in an type of imagination, imo

Quote:

tern wrote:
Astonishingly ugly! I appreciate that can be said about most of these modern towers, but your average Lefrak tower, though bad, looks nicer than this carbuncle.

Soviet style brutalist architecture, out of scale and with no redeeming qualities.

On the rear side, which you can't see in the photos, is a huge windowless wall with channels of cinder-block covered with some green siding material. I can only pray that they intend to construct some other structure to cover that part, as the way it looks now is dire.

Robin.

Talk about cutting the nose to spite the face. Favoring an ugly building over a traditional (or, boring) one seems like an odd stand.

I am with the others. I have watched this building go up and it always struck me as oddly out of place: too large for its location, aesthetically it clashes with its surrounding, and the design itself is not at all visually pleasant. Complete and total FAIL.

Posted on: 3/20 18:20
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
it ain't pretty but at least its not another boxed tower totally lacking in an type of imagination, imo

Quote:

tern wrote:
Astonishingly ugly! I appreciate that can be said about most of these modern towers, but your average Lefrak tower, though bad, looks nicer than this carbuncle.

Soviet style brutalist architecture, out of scale and with no redeeming qualities.

On the rear side, which you can't see in the photos, is a huge windowless wall with channels of cinder-block covered with some green siding material. I can only pray that they intend to construct some other structure to cover that part, as the way it looks now is dire.

Robin.

Talk about cutting the nose to spite the face. Favoring an ugly building over a traditional (or, boring) one seems like an odd stand.

I am with the others. I have watched this building go up and it always struck me as oddly out of place: too large for its location, aesthetically it clashes with its surrounding, and the design itself is not at all visually pleasant. Complete and total FAIL.

Posted on: 3/20 18:00
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
it ain't pretty but at least its not another boxed tower totally lacking in an type of imagination, imoQuote:

tern wrote:

Robin.

Posted on: 3/20 15:52
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Is this the place they are building now next to the fire house on Marin? I thought that was gonna be a hotel.

Posted on: 3/20 15:39
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Robin.

Posted on: 3/20 14:34

Edited by tern on 2018/3/20 14:51:55
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:
https://ny.curbed.com/2018/3/19/171393 ... ent-485-marin-launch-date

I wish this was never built. It's ugly. Will every tenant get free parking? If not, our Hamilton Park streets are doomed.

According to the article, there will be parking available on premises, so that makes residents ineligible for street parking permits. If people start parking on the streets around Hamilton Park, just ask the PA to make it a point to come around to ticket vehicles. We had that issue around the PAD area and it got fixed real quick after a few weeks of parking enforcement. They come around every day (twice in the morning, and at least once or twice in the afternoon) and there is hardly any violators nowadays, as nobody wants to come back to a vehicle ticketed for zone parking violations.

Posted on: 3/20 14:03
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From Chilltown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:

I wish this was never built. It's ugly. Will every tenant get free parking? If not, our Hamilton Park streets are doomed.

This picture made me throw up in my mouth a little.

Posted on: 3/20 14:01
Print Top

485 Marin
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 3/20 13:16
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NewportNJ wrote:
All I know is the PATH to 33rd will be a sh it show in about a year or two.

will be?!

that train has already left the too-small station.

Posted on: 2015/12/28 14:19
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
All I know is the PATH to 33rd will be a sh it show in about a year or two.

Posted on: 2015/12/28 13:53
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

SilveryJessica wrote:
Quote:

Binky wrote:
Actually, when I moved in to my house 15 years ago there was no net increase in the number of people living here.
It is the people who have moved into the new construction who have increased the population. And it is the poor planning of the new construction and the necessary infrastructure that is the issue here.

Yes. Those of us who moved here 15 years ago didn't buy new construction. We replaced outgoing residents. We didn't contribute to the surge in population, congestion, FILTH, crime, etc. Yes, there are wonderful new shops, restaurants, cultural options that didn't exist and I appreciate those, but the fact remains that the people who came here initially and paved the way for all the other more recent growth didn't want density. We wanted what JC had at that time which was convenience without the assault on our personal space that living here has become. One of the attractions of living here was the fact that you didn't have to kill someone to get on or off a train, listen to horns honking on the streets, get knocked over on the effing sidewalk when a bike came charging at you, etcetera. Living here was pleasant and quiet, and it isn't any longer. Yes, the changes have come with associated benefits too, but the lifestyle that a lot of people moved here for is gone.

Guess what, wherever you move, you don't get to preserve it amber for the rest of time. In cities of all places, you have to accept that the area could and probably will change.

I'm wading through this thread, there's so little information, mostly bickering, but I thought this was so well put. Any response?

Posted on: 2015/12/26 23:54
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_Man wrote:
Another Cluster-eff for traffic - I'm sure the great minds in JC will allow construction vehicle access on Marin Blvd instead of 8th or 9th St - similar to the mess they created on Columbus Drive with construction of 70 Columbus high-rise. Always let the developers have their way.
mr. jc_man, wait one cotton pickin' minute. those developers help improve our city through their contributions to our elected officials!

Posted on: 2015/12/26 22:55
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Another Cluster-eff for traffic - I'm sure the great minds in JC will allow construction vehicle access on Marin Blvd instead of 8th or 9th St - similar to the mess they created on Columbus Drive with construction of 70 Columbus high-rise. Always let the developers have their way.

Posted on: 2015/12/26 18:51
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Another pre-fab 'kit' building that will be a nightmare for the eventual owners after the warranty period is over ... noting most of the public housing is structurally more sound and cheaper to maintain and over 50 years old!

These are nothing more than cheap apartment buildings that will be covering the area from one side to the other with turn around high paying renters.

Posted on: 2015/12/25 12:40
Get on your bikes and ride !
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Another pre-fab 'kit' building that will be a nightmare for the eventual owners after the warranty period is over ... noting most of the public housing is structurally more sound and cheaper to maintain and over 50 years old!

Posted on: 2015/12/23 15:57
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.
Print Top

Re: 17 floor tower 8th n Marin behind Unico Tower
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, the only precisely clear way to describe the height of a building is to use feet. Stories gives a rough approximation only. That's why I referred back to the reports giving the actual height - 190 feet.

Posted on: 2015/12/23 15:51
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bamb00zle wrote:
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
Quote:

DanL wrote:
unless the project was downsized, the original post is correct, 17 stories.

correct. tax abatement application says 17 stories.

Terrence, one of your earlier news reports indicated 190 feet. See: http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... wer_on_manila_avenue.html

Architects generally use 10 feet per story, as a rule of thumb, so that's 19 stories. However figured it's a much bigger building than 12 stories. So big it needed amendments passed to the Master Plan for than area.

Most new "luxury" residential construction incorporates ceilings that are much higher than the old standard of 8 feet, which means the actual stories are taller than 10 feet. People get too hung up on the number of stories when talking about buildings, and don't think enough about actual height. For a building topping out at 190 feet, I would expect 17 stories TOP. Anything more would result in low (~8 feet) ceilings.

Posted on: 2015/12/22 13:16
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Eventually, if this keeps up, I will be living in Stewart Little's house.

Posted on: 2015/12/22 11:51
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bamb00zle wrote:
Architects generally use 10 feet per story, as a rule of thumb, so that's 19 stories. However figured it's a much bigger building than 12 stories. So big it needed amendments passed to the Master Plan for than area.

Hmm don't have the site plan handy so I don't know how high each story is, but the financial plan submitted to the council definitely says 17 -- 13 for the residential units, four for the parking garage

Posted on: 2015/12/22 8:40
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
Quote:

DanL wrote:

Terrence, one of your earlier news reports indicated 190 feet. See: http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... wer_on_manila_avenue.html

Posted on: 2015/12/22 5:45
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:

Posted on: 2015/12/21 18:46
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... wn_jersey_city_tower.html

Quote:

MattSchapiro wrote:
Quote:
by bustjc on 2015/12/21 12:06:51

They applied for variances, got tax breaks and abatements for temporary affordable housing. The time to complain and block it is passed.

Also OP should check his information. The building is not seventeen stories; I recall it being twelve or thirteen.

And if his issue is with trees being cut down, the developers are building a park onsite which will be open to the public. That land has been fenced off and unusable since I moved to the neighborhood 18yrs ago. Now anybody will be able to enjoy it.

Posted on: 2015/12/21 18:41
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MattSchapiro wrote:

Also OP should check his information. The building is not seventeen stories; I recall it being twelve or thirteen.

The KRE building will be 190 feet; the existing Unico building is 130 feet. Thus, the new building will be more than 40% taller than the existing Unico tower.

The new public park will be situated between these large buildings.

Posted on: 2015/12/21 17:58
Print Top

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017