Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Why can't you buy beer and wine at convenience stores in NJ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sepecat wrote:
Bj's at Newport sells alcohol? Which aisle? I never seen it there..

Quote:

CatDog wrote:
BJ's does sell alcohol, and if you have a membership it's at a damn good discount.

What I don't understand is why BJ's gets to sell alcohol in the main store while Costco has to keep the store separate. I think it's because by law BJ's has to sell alcohol to everybody, even if you don't have a membership, right?
hmm maybe they had to come to an agreement with Shoprite not to or something?

When I had a membership to the BJ's on Rt 17 by Lyndhurst, they've got wing, spirits, and cases of beer. Haven't been in the one here, tbh, since I discontinued my membership a while ago.

Posted on: 2012/5/7 22:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I agree with CatDog. Although I have to say, living in a city, I DO lament not being able to buy a 6-pack in a bodega/corner store, overall NJ's liquor/beer/wine laws are pretty good compared to other states. In many states you have to go to different places for different things, and many states don't sell ANY booze on Sundays. I think it's pretty good in NJ. Connecticut, for example, I think doesn't sell anything on Sundays OR holidays such as 4th July, Memorial Day, etc.

Even NY. Take Manhattan, for example. My friend who lives in Manhattan was visiting last week, and we went to Jersey Wines and Spirits on Jersey Ave. He was blown away by the selection of beers, because in the average Manhattan grocery store/bodega, there are maybe 10-20 kinds of beer, and it's about $16 for a 6-pack.

And for the couple of people that are arguing the pump your own gas thing ... how is it advantageous to be able to pump your own gas? It's not like you have to tip the attendants or anything ... hand them a credit card, stay warm/cool in your vehicle, and play with your smartphone for 5 minutes while somebody does it for you. When I travel to other states and have to rent a car, it's often a process pumping your own gas, where many times you have to go into the shop/office to pay for the gas you pumped or will pump.

The Democratic governor of of Connecticut just got that law changed. You will now be able to buy beer on Sundays in Connecticut. Justice I say!

Posted on: 2012/5/7 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:
It's so very hard to get liquor. I am sick and tired of finding 4 or 5 places in a 2 or 3 block radius serving or selling alcohol.....we can cram in alot more. Come on America!

Yeah, but they all close at 10:00PM which is just wrong! I demand justice! Beer till 2:AM!

Posted on: 2012/5/7 20:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Bj's at Newport sells alcohol? Which aisle? I never seen it there..

Quote:

CatDog wrote:
BJ's does sell alcohol, and if you have a membership it's at a damn good discount.

What I don't understand is why BJ's gets to sell alcohol in the main store while Costco has to keep the store separate. I think it's because by law BJ's has to sell alcohol to everybody, even if you don't have a membership, right?

Posted on: 2012/5/5 14:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Just for the record Heely lives around the corner from a liquor store and Gaughan lives down the street from one. Coincidence? I think not.

Bar keep! Another round!

Posted on: 2012/5/5 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/5/5 13:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Almost most stores that sell Liquor are convenience stores. Do you want to go the pharmacy and buy alcohol, just go to Manhattan Pharmacy.. There's is always a store selling within 3 blocks of one another.

Plus I would like to see BJ's, Walmart and etc sell alcohol. IF there is more the competition , the better the prices will be.

BTw, I think food basics in North Bergen have pretty good prices..

Posted on: 2012/5/5 13:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Its not just about senior citizens. Gasoline is legitimately dangerous. Just because its mainstreamed now and everyone things they are qualified to pump it only adds to the idea that its harmless.

Plus i the long term, alternative fuel systems will only complicate the fueling process, whether its liquid hydrogen or electricity or all three.

Posted on: 2012/5/4 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
The real question should not be "when is New Jersey going to let you pump your own fuel" but when will 48 other states realize the safety hazards of allowing the public to pump their own fuel?

At first, I thought this was one of the more hilariously retarded things I had read on this board in a while, and was going to write a reply making fun of it. But then I thought about it and realized that it's actually pretty apt. In the next 20 years senior citizens will comprise a much larger portion of the drivers on the road, and I know my grandmother accidentally sprayed gasoline all over herself once toward the end of her driving career (she was ok but embarassed). Perhaps NJ is ahead of its time...

Posted on: 2012/5/4 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
I'm sure for all the poors in the room, pumping gas is second nature, but why sully our hands when someone is there to do it?

Besides, what governor is going to lay off several thousand attendants.

Also there is this:

"Bill Dressler, executive director of the New Jersey Gasoline Retailers Association and Allied Trades, says there are safety concerns. While attendants are trained, many motorists would be novices. "It could be put in the wrong container," says Dressler, whose group represents about 2,200 of the state's 3,800 gas stations. There could be "somebody getting out and smoking and they didn't turn the engine off."

Dressler says that prices also would not drop. "The dealers are not making that much money," he says. "What would happen is the self-service price would reflect what's full-service today, and full-service would escalate 10 to 15 cents a gallon.""
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-05-16-nj-gas_x.htm

The real question should not be "when is New Jersey going to let you pump your own fuel" but when will 48 other states realize the safety hazards of allowing the public to pump their own fuel?

Posted on: 2012/5/4 13:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:

Yeah, I want to pay the same as now, but have to do it myself because you're impatient and running late.

Who said full service is going away? My elderly mother doesn't like pumping her own gas and she has no problem finding full service station near home (in VT which has a fraction of the population density as here).
really? I have driven across this country so many times and can't remember ever once finding a full-service station anywhere else.

Posted on: 2012/5/4 12:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
MDM wrote: how is it advantageous to be able to pump your own gas? It's not like you have to tip the attendants or anything Its faster to pump your own. The cheaper full service stations often have only one or two attendants. You often have to wait to get filled up and pay.
it's a little faster to pump your own, but personally, I'm never in such a rush that an extra minute is going to make the difference. Plus it really is nice to stay inside in the winter. That, and there are thousands of people employed because of that law, and it adds a miniscule 4 cents to a gallon.

Posted on: 2012/5/4 12:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
Please.

The average cost of a gallon of gasoline in NJ is around 3.80. If tomorrow they allowed self-service gasoline pumps in NJ, before long the average cost of a self-service gallon would be 3.80 and full service would be over 4.00.

I promise.

"I promise" is not even close to supporting an argument. And the low margins on gasoline kills your theory as well.

Posted on: 2012/5/4 1:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Please.

The average cost of a gallon of gasoline in NJ is around 3.80. If tomorrow they allowed self-service gasoline pumps in NJ, before long the average cost of a self-service gallon would be 3.80 and full service would be over 4.00.

I promise.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
If NJ allows self-service, then the gas stations will charge the same as they are now, the difference being you will have to pump your own, and full-service will cost at least 25 cents more per gallon.

The time savings is de minimis in the grand scheme of things.

This is a straw-man argument.

The margins on retail gas are nationally about 5% to 6%... which equates to around $0.20 to $.25 per gallon in NJ.. give or take a few cents depending on the price of gas. The profit margin is really in the selling of stuff like Twinkies and Coke.

Retail gas is a hyper-competitive, low margin business. The fact that the product sold is generic and makes for easy price comparison by consumers, means those margins are going to stay around 5% to 6%. However, the base cost of providing the fuel will go down with self-service... which means overall, a lower price.

Hiring people to pump gas is NOT free. To even pay minimum wage you are talking well over $10 per hour by the time you add in employer's FICA, state disability, workman's comp, unemployment insurance (employer side is a lot more than the worker side.. I know.. I used to pay it). In one way or another, you are paying for full service which some people, like myself, would like to have the option of not using.

Now, for your scenario to work, it would require collusion between every gas station in the state, in order to fix prices. All it would take would be a few stations in your area to cut their margins even more (making it up on increased volume) to blow the whole price fixing plan out of whack.

Again.. NJ has cheaper gas because it is the one thing that NJ doesn't tax to death. Only two states have lower gas taxes than NJ.

NJ tax per gallon: $0.145
NY tax per gallon: $0.49 (highest in the country)
PA tax per gallon: $0.323
CT tax per gallon: $0.486

Posted on: 2012/5/3 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
If NJ allows self-service, then the gas stations will charge the same as they are now, the difference being you will have to pump your own, and full-service will cost at least 25 cents more per gallon.

The time savings is de minimis in the grand scheme of things.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:

Yeah, I want to pay the same as now, but have to do it myself because you're impatient and running late.

Who said full service is going away? My elderly mother doesn't like pumping her own gas and she has no problem finding full service station near home (in VT which has a fraction of the population density as here).

The two that are closest consist:

A small super market that offers it at the same price as self-serve as a loss-leader to get people to buy stuff from their store.

A service station that charges a little bit more but caters to those who don't want to bother pumping their own gas.
I'd rather not pump my own although getting in and out quick is tempting. I think it has to do with liability factors.

I just like pumping my own gas because I can get in and out faster. I just want the choice to have it. There is no technical reason why we can't in NJ.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 18:12
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:

The two that are closest consist:

A small super market that offers it at the same price as self-serve as a loss-leader to get people to buy stuff from their store.

A service station that charges a little bit more but caters to those who don't want to bother pumping their own gas.

I just like pumping my own gas because I can get in and out faster. I just want the choice to have it. There is no technical reason why we can't in NJ.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
Ahhh yes first world problems and aspirations.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
MDM wrote: how is it advantageous to be able to pump your own gas? It's not like you have to tip the attendants or anything Its faster to pump your own. The cheaper full service stations often have only one or two attendants. You often have to wait to get filled up and pay.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 17:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
I would change 2 things:

1) Loosen the liquor licensing so that pretty much any business owner can carry beer in their cooler. It'd be nice to have a beer at places like Basic or Ibby's. Not the most important thing in the world, but it would be nice.

2) Just let us buy beer (and wine) like a normal product at the grocery store. No separate sub-store, no separate checkout.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 17:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
how is it advantageous to be able to pump your own gas? It's not like you have to tip the attendants or anything Its faster to pump your own. The cheaper full service stations often have only one or two attendants. You often have to wait to get filled up and pay.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 16:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with CatDog. Although I have to say, living in a city, I DO lament not being able to buy a 6-pack in a bodega/corner store, overall NJ's liquor/beer/wine laws are pretty good compared to other states. In many states you have to go to different places for different things, and many states don't sell ANY booze on Sundays. I think it's pretty good in NJ. Connecticut, for example, I think doesn't sell anything on Sundays OR holidays such as 4th July, Memorial Day, etc.

Even NY. Take Manhattan, for example. My friend who lives in Manhattan was visiting last week, and we went to Jersey Wines and Spirits on Jersey Ave. He was blown away by the selection of beers, because in the average Manhattan grocery store/bodega, there are maybe 10-20 kinds of beer, and it's about $16 for a 6-pack.

And for the couple of people that are arguing the pump your own gas thing ... how is it advantageous to be able to pump your own gas? It's not like you have to tip the attendants or anything ... hand them a credit card, stay warm/cool in your vehicle, and play with your smartphone for 5 minutes while somebody does it for you. When I travel to other states and have to rent a car, it's often a process pumping your own gas, where many times you have to go into the shop/office to pay for the gas you pumped or will pump.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Considering there's at least a church or two on just about every block, we might as well cram in liquor stores and Starbucks' too.

Not sure what church and alcohol have to do with each other but....ummm okay.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/8 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:
It's so very hard to get liquor. I am sick and tired of finding 4 or 5 places in a 2 or 3 block radius serving or selling alcohol.....we can cram in alot more. Come on America!

Considering there's at least a church or two on just about every block, we might as well cram in liquor stores and Starbucks' too.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 6:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/5/3 6:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
You guessed it.

The liquor license laws are really silly in this state. They are limited by the state, and limited by population.

For a while, grocery stores were buying up all the local liquor licenses in a town so that the only place to buy liquor was in the grocery store liquor store.

Note that now you can't buy liquor from a grocery store -- they are always separate.

Moreover, because liquor licenses are finite, the prices appreciates in value. But the state isn't getting a recurring fee from the license, as happens in many other states.

You think NJ is silly? Go to Utah, or Nevada, or Missouri, or Georgia, or even Pennsylvania. Even NY! Most states in this country have much more ridiculous liquor laws than NJ.

NJ's liquor laws are simple:
Want liquor?
Go to liquor store (for anything and everything)

Compare that to Pennsylvania, our next-door neighbor:
Want liquor?
Go to a bar (if you want a 6-pack)
Go to a beer distributor (if you want a case)
Go to a wine and spirits store (if you want wine or spirits)
Go to god knows where (if you want a keg)
Oh and half the stores are state-owned.

Not to mention the ridiculous rules that every variety of beer ever sold by a business must be registered for a fee with the state or it can be confiscated.

And you think NJ has silly laws?

Yes, NJ's laws are still silly.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 5:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
And really there are so many liquor stores in NJ that I can't imagine it's that much of an inconvenience to anybody.

With supermarkets and stores like Walmart and Target selling everything under the sun now, small businesses like cheese shops, fish markets, butchers, bakeries and the like are going extinct. Now we want to eliminate some more of that and make these superstores even larger? No thanks, I'm willing to walk the 5 minutes to one of the dozens of liquor stores within a half mile of my house.

Then walk those extra five minutes. But why do you get to decide what other people can purchase?

Posted on: 2012/5/3 5:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/8 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
Last I had heard, you could buy beer/wine in grocery stores in New Jersey. The only catch was that each store can only have 2 licenses, or something like that. There's an A&P in north jersey somewhere that sells beer/wine. Essentially Shop Rite sells it in the store. Beer, wine AND liquor. You just don't pay for it at the main register.

And yes, the pumping your own gas law has got to be one of the stupidest things an individual state can do. Because you know... the states are smarter... like health insurance... "In 1951, though, the Supreme Court of New Jersey decided it was too dangerous to allow just anyone to pump gas, suggesting that the process of refueling is best left to the professionals."

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/30/wh ... -cant-pump-their-own-gas/

Posted on: 2012/5/3 4:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
And really there are so many liquor stores in NJ that I can't imagine it's that much of an inconvenience to anybody.

With supermarkets and stores like Walmart and Target selling everything under the sun now, small businesses like cheese shops, fish markets, butchers, bakeries and the like are going extinct. Now we want to eliminate some more of that and make these superstores even larger? No thanks, I'm willing to walk the 5 minutes to one of the dozens of liquor stores within a half mile of my house.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 3:53

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017