Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
62 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 62

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Mistake might have cost NJ federal education grant of $400,000,000
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/24 18:45
Group:
Banned
Quote:
heights wrote: I hope this doesn't affect my tax dollars.

Christie is doing " a heckuva job ".

Posted on: 2010/12/1 5:26
>>> IT'S TOO LATE.....<<<

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
New Jersey Misses Out On Another Federal School Grant

November 30, 2010 6:52 PM

JERSEY CITY, N.J. (CBS 2) ? After blasting the Christie administration for missing out on a $400 million ?Race To The Top? federal education grant, New Jersey Democrats are now accusing the Governor of being too lax in trying to get money for charter school start-ups.

Vashti Johnson and Al Garas are waiting to find out if New Jersey will approve their application to open up a new charter school catering to autistic children in Jersey City.
Both, however, are upset the state has been denied a $14 million federal grant to help schools just starting up.

?Look at the numbers of children that will be suffering as a result of not having that start-up capital,? Johnson told CBS 2′s Christine Sloan.

Democrats are blaming Christie?s administration for missing out on the money by saying it didn?t have a good plan to measure current charter schools in the application.

?Because they?re responsible for putting the application in and if the application is denied, something went wrong with the process,? Assemblyman and Education Committee member Ralph Caputo said.

A spokesperson for the Department of Education blamed the loss on past administrations.

?The Department of Education has taken action to improve its charter school operation and fundamentally change a culture and organization that during prior administrations was regarded as hostile towards charter school expansion,? the spokesman said in a statement.

Seven charter schools have been approved to open next year, including The Dream Preparatory Academy in Jersey City.

Each school would have gotten a $150,000 under the grant. Those who run the successful Elysian Charter School in Hoboken said the money is important. Kathy Mone went through the process with a Jersey City start-up.

?In the first year, we needed the start-up grant money for the security deposit on the building,? Mone said.

Sloan reported the state will apply for the federal grant money again.

Posted on: 2010/12/1 4:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Let's take the money that the state is spending on the stupid 9/11 memorial that no one wants and put it toward education.

Posted on: 2010/9/6 16:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Only 2 mistakes were involved in New Jersey blowing the $400 million: Christie and Schundler.

One jackass was fired, but the other will remain to make a pig's breakfast of the state. Perhaps Christie's salary could be attached until such time as the $400 million is paid back?

Well at least now both can remain true to their beliefs that the Federal government shall have nothing to do with education...at least in New Jersey.

Gotta LOVE Schundler begging for Unemployment Compensation. Too bad it can be done online these days; it would have been heartwarming to see him stand in line for a half hour for his check. "Please, please give me public money...I need my Safety Net!"

(I must admit, I thought the previous poster was making a joke about the Unempoyment until I read the same thing in the Times. It was the best laugh of the week. )

When he was first running for mayor weren't we all bombarded about his business prowess on Wall Street and how he made a BAZILLION dollars becasue he was such a boy genius. Now he's whining about a mortgage and tuition???? Something doesn't add up.

Posted on: 2010/9/6 13:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
It gets better. Schundler asked to be fired so that he could collect unemployment.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010 ... bret_schundler_fires.html

Not that he's not entitled to unemployment, I'm just surprised he admitted it.

Posted on: 2010/8/27 19:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
The JC police union printed a decal when Schundler was mayor that said "Schundler Lies". He got fired because the governor said, "He can't lie to me."

Posted on: 2010/8/27 18:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 19:33
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/8/27 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
SICULO wrote:

Stop with the hysteria and dont buy into what the press has to say.
Its called yellow journalism, i.e. they need to sell papers! The state didn't make any mistakes.

Give it a break!

Say what?

Posted on: 2010/8/27 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/8/27 16:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Nowhere in this video does it show the feds allowing NJ to amend or fix their application. This is where they found out that they had the incorrect data to begin with. The reviewer asked if the 08 and 09 numbers were in the application. Of course, they were not. Schundler and gang stumble through the application only to see they had the wrong years. If Schundler had found the correct data in his back pocket, there is no suggestion that the application would have been able to be amended.

Christie, of course, has either been misinformed or flat-out lied when he said that the feds rejected an attempt to correct the application. Someone will probably get fired and Christie's fate remains to be seen.

I don't know why everyone seems only willing to blame either Christie or the NJEA in this matter. It was a failed application by both sides. Christie's/Schundler's error was the most inexcusable and easily preventable, but what about this:

"The independent panel of reviewers repeatedly cited the Christie administration's inability to get most or all of the state's school districts, or Local Education Agencies, to go along with the plan as the reason for rejecting New Jersey's application.

"While much of the New Jersey proposal is strong, one important fact makes it unlikely to succeed," one reviewer wrote. "Forty nine percent of the state's LEAs will not participate in this proposal. That is a significant number and ... New Jersey will find it difficult to implement even successful elements of its RTTT (Race to the Top) proposals."

That factor was more substantive and worth more points (9, I believe) than the budget year error.

Its easy to say, "If only Christie had not screwed up the application, NJ would have $400M." But is is just as easy to claim, "If only the NJEA had been more willing to compromise, NJ would have $400M."

The discourse on this matter sounds like fans at a sporting event yelling at each other. But there is no winner here, just losers - Christie, Schundler, the NJEA, the DOE, and unfortunately, NJ students.

And if anyone is curious, I did not, and will not ever vote for Christie.

Posted on: 2010/8/27 13:40

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/15 16:44
Group:
Registered Users
I'll just leave this here:

"Video refutes Christie, shows N.J. had chance to fix error in $400 million education grant application but didn't "

http://www.northjersey.com/news/08261 ... the_Top_presentation.html

Posted on: 2010/8/27 12:54
"I try so hard to be myself but I just wind up gettin' drunk." - Jerry Wick

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gumbo wrote:
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
This question was worth 5 points and would have put NJ past Ohio and into tenth place. But what about the other 57.2 points? Not getting those also cost NJ. If they could have made up the blown five points elsewhere, this blunder would not have mattered. There's plenty of blame to go around.

hmm. you seem to be saying that an obvious, stupid mistake (reading comprehension) that causes the application to lose a huge grant is not any more blameworthy than other parts of the application where points may have been lost, such as parts that reflect policy-based choices.

these are not equivalent at all. the policy-based choices would have been fine, apparently, if the administration had been more careful. so, why not hold the administration solely responsible for this fiasco?

Maybe this guy says it better.

http://blog.nj.com/njv_bob_braun/2010 ... stronger_race_to_the.html

Posted on: 2010/8/26 13:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shakatah wrote:
Crazy Chester is wrong.

The award is not based on need but completely competitive, the NJEA agreed to merit pay but not what Christie wanted, and the award is based on each States ability to provide the information requested/complete a questionnaire.

The application for THIS YEAR (not last year) which was agreed to by the NJEA, more school districts and Schundler had the correct information. The mistake occurred during Chis Christie's rewrite of the application after he rejected what had been agreed to.

The fact that the application was hurriedly rewritten over Memorial day weekend contributed.

The application asked for a comparison of 2008 and 2009 education budget numbers, the Schundler application had that data but the Christie rewrite crew decided to change it to a comparison between 2010 and 2011.

Same application submitted, without that one mistake and NJ would be less than 2 points ahead of Ohio and have $400 million more than it does today to spend on education.

The rules are the rules and no State could make changes to its application after June 1, 2010. NJ submitted the application on June 1, 2010 BECAUSE the governor rejected the Schundler application and decided to rewrite it.

Imagine what would happen if the feds allowed NJ to change something in its application after the deadline and Ohio, which would be less than 2 points behind, found out. What then???

I'm not wrong. This wouldn't have been a change to the substance of the application, which contained items relating to merit pay, tenure, and school choice. It was a clerical error. This is not akin and changing an answer to a better answer after the fact. If any state made a clear clerical error, they should have been allowed to change it before the awards were granted.

Christie's not blameless, as I said, but how did NJ miss out on the other 57 points? They would have put NJ over the top as well. Christie's error is more glaring, and makes for better headlines.

Posted on: 2010/8/26 12:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/2 23:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
This question was worth 5 points and would have put NJ past Ohio and into tenth place. But what about the other 57.2 points? Not getting those also cost NJ. If they could have made up the blown five points elsewhere, this blunder would not have mattered. There's plenty of blame to go around.

hmm. you seem to be saying that an obvious, stupid mistake (reading comprehension) that causes the application to lose a huge grant is not any more blameworthy than other parts of the application where points may have been lost, such as parts that reflect policy-based choices.

these are not equivalent at all. the policy-based choices would have been fine, apparently, if the administration had been more careful. so, why not hold the administration solely responsible for this fiasco?

Posted on: 2010/8/26 11:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Imagine what would happen if the feds allowed NJ to change something in its application after the deadline and Ohio, which would be less than 2 points behind, found out. What then???

Perhaps this is a tad Machiavellian, but I can certainly see politics playing a part in this. Ohio is a hotly contested battleground state. NJ is firmly democrat (nationally) in the time of a democratic administration. Would not surprise me if a few people put 2+2 together and told NJ to piss on a rope because of their clerical screwup rather than allow it simply because of the potential political gains for being in OH's good graces.

Posted on: 2010/8/26 10:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/11 16:43
Group:
Registered Users
Crazy Chester is wrong.

The award is not based on need but completely competitive, the NJEA agreed to merit pay but not what Christie wanted, and the award is based on each States ability to provide the information requested/complete a questionnaire.

The application for THIS YEAR (not last year) which was agreed to by the NJEA, more school districts and Schundler had the correct information. The mistake occurred during Chis Christie's rewrite of the application after he rejected what had been agreed to.

The fact that the application was hurriedly rewritten over Memorial day weekend contributed.

The application asked for a comparison of 2008 and 2009 education budget numbers, the Schundler application had that data but the Christie rewrite crew decided to change it to a comparison between 2010 and 2011.

Same application submitted, without that one mistake and NJ would be less than 2 points ahead of Ohio and have $400 million more than it does today to spend on education.

The rules are the rules and no State could make changes to its application after June 1, 2010. NJ submitted the application on June 1, 2010 BECAUSE the governor rejected the Schundler application and decided to rewrite it.

Posted on: 2010/8/26 10:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gumbo wrote:
CC, you seem to know what you are talking about, yet wasn't NJ only a few points from being in the money? from the reports it sounds as though, if the correct numbers had been used, NJ would have been in the money. but i think you've said that's incorrect, that the budget fiasco alone would not have made the difference. have i stated your position accurately?

NJ received 437.8 out of a possible 500 points. This question was worth 5 points and would have put NJ past Ohio and into tenth place. But what about the other 57.2 points? Not getting those also cost NJ. If they could have made up the blown five points elsewhere, this blunder would not have mattered. There's plenty of blame to go around. Points were also awarded based on categories such as merit pay for teachers, which the NJEA would not go for.

Still, the folks in Washington should have contacted NJ about this clerical error. The award was supposed to be based on need, not the ability of states to complete a questionnaire.

If Corzine were governor, NJ would have gotten that courtesy.

Posted on: 2010/8/26 2:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
CC, you seem to know what you are talking about, yet wasn't NJ only a few points from being in the money? from the reports it sounds as though, if the correct numbers had been used, NJ would have been in the money. but i think you've said that's incorrect, that the budget fiasco alone would not have made the difference. have i stated your position accurately?

Posted on: 2010/8/26 1:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
With JC / NJ continuely being hit by scandal after scandal with dishonest, corrupt, poor management and crime offending politicians, I too would not give one cent to the residents of JC / NJ if I was a federal employee approving grants as a way to punish the residents of JC / NJ for electing ass-wipes ......... this should be a wake-up call for all residents.

Posted on: 2010/8/25 23:10
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
The application previously completed with the blessing of the NJEA had the correct budget numbers, but only finished 16th out of 50. This application scored higher, but had the incorrect years used in this particular question about the budget.

In addition, if the NJEA had agreed to charter school expansion or had the agreed to merit pay for teachers, NJ would have received the $400M, even with the incorrect budget figures,so the administration is not solely to blame, although the Dems and the NJEA will make sure it is.

Posted on: 2010/8/25 22:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/25 14:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
This whole application process was screwed up since the January try.

As I recall there was a fight between Bret and Christie over the second shot back in May or June. I think Bret said something about the NJEA accepting terms and Christie didn?t like it.

bret criticized

Funny Christie says he doesn?t like the ?Jersey Shore? type shows because they give Jersey a bad name. This screw up is a thousand err.. I mean 400 million times worse!!!

Stop with the hysteria and dont buy into what the press has to say.Its called yellow journalism, i.e. they need to sell papers! The state didn't make any mistakes.

Give it a break!

Posted on: 2010/8/25 21:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
This whole application process was screwed up since the January try.

As I recall there was a fight between Bret and Christie over the second shot back in May or June. I think Bret said something about the NJEA accepting terms and Christie didn?t like it.

bret criticized

Funny Christie says he doesn?t like the ?Jersey Shore? type shows because they give Jersey a bad name. This screw up is a thousand err.. I mean 400 million times worse!!!

Posted on: 2010/8/25 20:43

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/15 16:44
Group:
Registered Users
Am I crazy, or did I just read that the Christie admin had the correct data...and left it out?!?!?

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010 ... y_of_race_to_the_top.html

Posted on: 2010/8/25 20:13
"I try so hard to be myself but I just wind up gettin' drunk." - Jerry Wick

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I hope this doesn't affect my tax dollars.

Posted on: 2010/8/25 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
It is a big mistake, but there are many reasons that NJ failed to crack the top (bottom?) ten. A lot of factors went into this equation.

But it seems to me that since this was a clerical error, NJ should still get the money. If the award is really based on need, they should allow NJ to receive it. At the very least, they should have asked NJ to amend their answer.

Posted on: 2010/8/25 16:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
the individuals who prepared the application were no doubt products of the NJ education system.

Posted on: 2010/8/25 15:19

Mistake might have cost NJ federal education grant of $400,000,000
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Mistake might have cost NJ federal education grant

Associated Press

TRENTON, N.J. ? Failure to follow directions may have prevented New Jersey from winning a $400 million federal education grant.
Scoring documents from the Race to the Top grant competition show New Jersey received no points on one section. That's because the state provided budget figures for 2010 and 2011 where the application sought numbers from 2008 and 2009.
Ohio, the lowest-scoring state to be awarded the grant Tuesday, got just three points more than New Jersey.
The gaffe was first reported by the Star-Ledger of Newark.
State Assembly Speaker Sheila Oliver calls it "a stunning mistake that is going to hurt New Jersey's children."

Posted on: 2010/8/25 15:03

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017