Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: BBQ at Legal Beans - Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

chocolatecake wrote:
I haven't been there in a while. The food was good, but the atmosphere and set up were, um. eccentric, to say the least. We had to walk through the somewhat dirty-looking kitchen and prep area through a dirty door out to a dark cement backyard area to get to a table. No lights, not even Christmas tree lights. Very weird. Didn't make me want to return. Is it worth it now? Have they made the place a little more palatable?

I think they focus on takeout, and the seating area was an afterthought. It is a pretty tiny place. Though I usually take it home, I did sit at the tables they set up streetside this summer, that was relatively pleasant.

Posted on: 2012/1/26 1:53

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/27 22:17
Group:
Registered Users
I haven't been there in a while. The food was good, but the atmosphere and set up were, um. eccentric, to say the least. We had to walk through the somewhat dirty-looking kitchen and prep area through a dirty door out to a dark cement backyard area to get to a table. No lights, not even Christmas tree lights. Very weird. Didn't make me want to return. Is it worth it now? Have they made the place a little more palatable?

Posted on: 2012/1/25 22:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Just had the kebab lunch platter again. This was so good I just had to shout about it somewhere even though I get it at least once a month. Generous pork kebabs with a load of rice and beans. The latter is a little bland for my palate, but a squirt of Sriracha perks it right up. And not just that, at $6 with a drink, it's one of the best lunch deals Downtown. Greek to Me can cram their $8 skimpy gyro where the sun don't shine.

And the local kids are going nuts over the $1 pulled pork sliders. It just illustrates there's not much around besides pizza in a middle schoolers price range.

Posted on: 2012/1/25 19:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
I had this over the weekend and was REALLY dissapointed. I had a pulled pork sandwich, baked beans, and mac & cheese.

The pulled pork was below average but edible. Instead of a smoky taste it had a "dirty" taste. Weird. The mac & cheese was good but nothing special. THe baked beans were downright inedible. I truly mean it, canned baked beans are better.

I really hope that they can somehow improve their offerings because I love BBQ but unless I hear of some real changes I will not be a return customer.

Incidentally, last year it was understood that the old Sandbar was going to reopen as a BBQ place. That never happened. Anyone know the story on that?

Posted on: 2011/10/24 11:39

Re: New Kansas City style BBQ restaurant. opening tonight!!
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/18 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
The ribs are still very good! I don't think many people know about this place. It's a bit of the beaten track but worth a visit. I don't know anywhere locally else you can get this quality and flavor in a rack of ribs.

Posted on: 2011/10/24 10:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/30 23:29
Group:
Registered Users
is this place still open? for some reason, i thought they closed, or the guy who was doing the bbq left. the other day i got a menu from this place under my door and was surprised to see they are still open.

those expresso rubbed ribs were pretty amazing.

Posted on: 2011/10/23 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
My first time there a few weeks ago was I was pretty unimpressed by the food, service and value, The meat itself was about the only the only thing notable. I gave it another shot for trying the Philippine menu. I ordered the kebobs with rice and beans. The meat was fresh grilled and tasty, though the rice and beans were kinda plain, they were fine. This was definitely more my kind of value, plenty to eat at $6 a plate, competitive with other lunch joints. I advise calling in your order 15 minutes before you go.

I'll be back, personally the BBQ will not be a loss if it's gone. But I'm sure it won't be. If I can make very tasty 2 hr smoked chicken on my gas grill, how hard can it be for a professional cook to do it with the right equipment and a good recipe?

Posted on: 2010/6/17 3:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Did take out today from LB and they had the full BBQ menu.

We ordered the brisket and mashed sweet potatoes.

My friend asked about the rumor of them closing or closed and was told that "Larry the chef quit but it's business as usual"

Posted on: 2010/6/16 20:29

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/1 12:37
Group:
Registered Users
that's unfortunate. the kansas-style bbq meats were really delicious. hopefully they release a new menu soon so i know what they'll be offering.

Posted on: 2010/6/16 16:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/7 3:21
Group:
Registered Users
Apparently, the BBQ place is closing. At least according to facebook last night, although they are being a little cryptic. I hope they don't close. I wanted to get some for Father's Day.

Posted on: 2010/6/16 15:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
I had the 1/2 rack of ribs last night, woooooooo-weeee...those were nice meaty ribs and the sauce that accompanied them was tasty too. 12 bucks and I was stuffed. Brisket Sandwich is very good too.

Posted on: 2010/6/11 15:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/30 23:29
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

i must declare these ribs are outstanding!! the 2nd best ribs i have ever had. the 1st are my buddy's recipe.

but i am very impressed by these ribs! the rub is outstanding and no sauce is needed on these. Which is the way a good rib should be. Due to that great rub there is a perfect amount of caramelization on the ribs. color me impressed.

Posted on: 2010/5/29 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I'm not asking for them to change the sandwich; I just like cheese on my pulled pork..

bring your own cheese? no reason any BBQ spot should have any on hand

Posted on: 2010/5/24 15:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/3 20:43
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
We were all excited to finally try it out today, but alas they DON'T deliver during the day? They said they'd deliver after 6:00.

By 6:00 I'll have eaten somewhere else.

Posted on: 2010/5/22 17:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/4 15:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

clunkified wrote:
Quote:

JerseyCityKid08 wrote:
I ordered the pulled pork sandwich and it was dry. I asked for cheese and they had none. It seemed overpriced for the quality you get. Asked for a coke and it was warm. Won't go back for awhile. It's new, so maybe they are working out kinks.

If you're expecting cheese on a pulled pork sandwich, you need to work out some kinks of your own.

I'm not asking for them to change the sandwich; I just like cheese on my pulled pork..

Posted on: 2010/5/21 1:16

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/9 1:38
From Bay Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityKid08 wrote:
I ordered the pulled pork sandwich and it was dry. I asked for cheese and they had none. It seemed overpriced for the quality you get. Asked for a coke and it was warm. Won't go back for awhile. It's new, so maybe they are working out kinks.

If you're expecting cheese on a pulled pork sandwich, you need to work out some kinks of your own.

Posted on: 2010/5/21 0:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/4 15:32
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/5/20 23:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

hesh wrote:
The picnic tables are out, it's a lovely warm spring evening...I know where I'm eating tonight...but, what kind of beer goes best with BBQ? Any suggestions?

Hesh, the pretense that you're not an owner, employee or close friend of them such at Legal Beans is getting annoying. Announcing a new restaurant and interacting with Listers giving feedback is okay, lots of local businesses do it. Spamming the site just to bump the thread gets old. I can't believe I'm saying this, but buy an ad from Webmaster Falcon if you want visibility.

BTW, I prefer an IPA.

Posted on: 2010/5/20 21:54

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/20 22:53
Group:
Registered Users
The picnic tables are out, it's a lovely warm spring evening...I know where I'm eating tonight...but, what kind of beer goes best with BBQ? Any suggestions?

Posted on: 2010/5/20 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
Got takeout from here today.

Ordered a platter of brisket and a platter of pulled pork.
The pulled pork was very good and the brisket was awesome, some of the best I've had.

The platters each come with a side, we ordered two different ones but ended up with 2 of the same, the "spicy mashed sweet potatoes with pepperjack cheese and roasted poblano". What we received was mashed sweet potatoes with nothing added, not so great.

Also, the brisket according to the menu comes with pickles and sauce. Didn't receive either.

Will definately go back but they have some kinks to work out...

Posted on: 2010/5/16 22:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/17 12:57
Group:
Registered Users
I ordered the half chicken/side of sweet potato "platter" for $16.

EXTREMELY OVERPRICED, but tasty.

My chicken was obviously reheated and wasn't fresh. If it were fresh it would have gotten an A minus.

The sauce was obviously homemade and was absolutely delicious.

The portions are paltry for the prices they charge.

Posted on: 2010/5/15 20:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
actually all of the side are homemade too. i had a ton last night...loved everything, especially the new addition of the cornbread to the menu.

Posted on: 2010/5/15 11:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/27 22:56
Group:
Registered Users
Brisket is stellar. If there's a better tasting piece of beef in this town for any price, please let me know.

Mac and cheese needs some rethinking.

Posted on: 2010/5/15 0:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The hours are 11:30 am to 9pm during the week, 11:30 until 10 on the weekends. If there is more demand to stay open later, they will do so. I guess, all I can say about the crits is come back in a few weeks. To be honest there is a bit of a kitchen struggle. One person wants to make everything homemade and natural, the other wants things more prepackaged with preservatives (i guess you can guess which side i'm on). The pitmaster, larry (also plays in any day parade) is from Kansas City and had BBQ in his blood as his brother is the go to guy at Oklahoma Joe's in Kansas City. At any rate there is a bit of of a culture clash about how to do things, but the meat is great!

Posted on: 2010/5/14 22:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

versatile wrote:
Decided to go yesterday, I ordered the ribs and mac & cheese. My friend ordered the pulled pork and bbq beans.

pulled pork was very good, not dry at all. beans eh...
ribs were tough, i had to wait until i got home to actually put it in the oven for an hour to get it tender. i did get bqq sauce on the side, 2 lil containers. the ribs were good (not great) with or without the bbq sauce. the mac & cheese was okay, needs to be cheesier!
we also tried the coleslaw, need a little work on that.
i also agree that the pricing was too high for the amount of food that we did get.

Also got the ribs and mac and cheese. My assessment is almost exactly like yours. Ribs were good. Mac N Cheese was underwhelming.

Still, even though the food wasn't out of this world, I like this place. It's great to have an outpost right by the turnpike where you can stop by and get some bbq.

How late are they open? This would be a great place for late night munchies or cravings.

Posted on: 2010/5/14 20:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
Brewster, do you recommend Medina?

+1 Medina!

(not sure if my taste buds have as much clout as Brewster's.)

Posted on: 2010/5/14 19:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/14 19:09
Group:
Registered Users
Decided to go yesterday, I ordered the ribs and mac & cheese. My friend ordered the pulled pork and bbq beans.

pulled pork was very good, not dry at all. beans eh...
ribs were tough, i had to wait until i got home to actually put it in the oven for an hour to get it tender. i did get bqq sauce on the side, 2 lil containers. the ribs were good (not great) with or without the bbq sauce. the mac & cheese was okay, needs to be cheesier!
we also tried the coleslaw, need a little work on that.
i also agree that the pricing was too high for the amount of food that we did get.

Posted on: 2010/5/14 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
So we went last night (my boyfriend and I) He ordered the ribs and mac n cheese and I got the briskett and mac n cheese.

Let me start by saying the briskett was heaven.... HEAVEN! the mac n cheese... ehhh, were used to down south real mac n cheese, this was pretty dry and not very cheesy at all.. he didnt even eat his.

His ribs looked good but again, he was not offered any sauce on the sides, and obviously was expecting the saucy version. I was excited to see the dry rub cause I hate the saucy version. Anyways He scraped all of the seasoing off lol he said it burnt his lips... whatev

It was 30.00 for two dinners definitely not an weekly thing we would do... I would have been satisified with rice n beans and pernil for 12.00

Posted on: 2010/5/14 17:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
I tried this place last night. Got 2 sandwiches and 2 sides to split with the huzzy. Maybe we've gone to Rub too many times, but we were not that impressed. And the pricing is too high for what we got.

Posted on: 2010/5/14 12:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/14 2:56
Group:
Registered Users
Having toured all over the US with my band, I've gotten to know bbq all over the country and this is the BEST I have ever had anywhere. It's super authentically Kansas style too. The brisket is so damn good, it melts in your mouth and the espresso rubbed ribs are wicked. Kudos to the chef!

Posted on: 2010/5/14 2:59

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017