Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
90 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 90

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: CRIME DROP A 30 YEAR LOW
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I say Lock these criminals away for life. It's sad but I was reading that a lot of felons effectively ruin their lives over petty crime - they can't get a job after committing some stupid mugging, etc when they're young. Why don't people think. Actually that might be the problem- the thugs committing these crimes may not really be capable of thinking.

Posted on: 2010/2/1 2:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
The only drastic change to JC that might account for the crime drop is development (economic cost of living in JC has forced many ass-wipes out) and the quality of residents we now have with reporting crime.
The ass-wipes are only too aware that the likelihood of being reported via residents has improved and the fight is on to reclaim out street via neighborhood associations and forums like JClist.

The cops have little to do with it and they really haven't made any progress with what they have been doing for years regarding the fight on crime. We have had years of the same crap with Police Chief's and crap Mayor's.

Residents should all pat themselves on the back for making a difference and the impact of the economy and development played an indirect role.

Posted on: 2010/1/31 4:32
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CapnJon wrote:
actually JRL, i dont agree with you in full, not that I would expect you to be happy about any actual drop in any aspect of crime. but as you've said a million times, crime is down, Healy said so!

"Petty" crime - robbies and such - affect people like me, in Jersey City, much more than violent crime. If there's less of a chance of some punk with a gun trying to rob my wife, then yes, that makes me happy. Everyone on here complains about car break ins - so i'd say, yes, a drop in car thefts would make them happy.

i bet if you look at all of the homicides, which i wont do because i'm busy, but i'm sure someone on here will, you wont find any that were just a completely "innocent" person getting killed this year. Will you? And sure, one is too many, but what are the murders of the past year? A handful of domestic/drunk/drug killings between family/friends/acquaintences - no police program is going to protect me from a guy arguing with his wife and grabbing a steak knife.

and the rest (that i recall) are all between thugs/gangs/troublemakers. I know i know i know, every kid who gets shot (or does shooting) is a church going honor student who would "never do anything wrong" and who "wants to be a cop", but the bottom line is that the troublemakers have been killing the troublemakers. one guy tougher than the next, sure.

Fact of the matter is, statistically speaking, while i might work/travel/go to all areas of jersey city for one thing or another (yes, that includes hanging out in Greenville), i don't hang out with, or associate with gun toting thugs. So, in my completely unscientific study, that means i am less likely to end up dead this year of a violent act.

I am much more worried about speeding buses on Palisades that nearly run my wife over!

(feel free to attack me on any and all points. i'm just calling it like i see it).

Here are just some of the innocent homicide victims you claim don't exist. I am sure there are more but since I am unsure about some I left those out. Notice many of them were victims killed during robbery attempts. This is near half of the people killed in 2009 that are innocent victims I know of. By the way robbery is not a petty crime its is a violent crime.

1. Elisha Benjamin, 59, was shot in the arm and chest with a rifle in a robbery in his bodega. January 22

2. Kiritkumar Parikh, 57, was shot in an attempted robbery at his bodega in Jersey City, a few buildings down from a high school. January 27

3. Shirley Kitchens, 48, was killed in a hit and run in Jersey City. January 30

4. Carlos Orlando Quinones, 27, was beaten to death by a gang of teenage boys in a robbery attempt. Februay 24

5. Ormont Logan, 26, was shot multiple times over a woman. April 1

6. Michael Pennetta of Bayonne, 23, was killed while riding a motorcycle in Jersey City. A felon fleeing in a stolen car struck him in a hit and run and continued speeding, being caught by the police up the road. May 14

7. Shawn Huff, 19, was shot in the legs, chest, and abdomen in a shooting at Exchange Place after a prom after getting into an argument. May 23

8. Manuel Reyes Sr, 48, was stabbed in his neck and shoulder in Journal Square, Jersey City, in the doorway of his apartment in a robbery gone wrong. September 23

9. Darius Burgess, 28, was shot in the back in a park in Journal Square, Jersey City over a fight the suspect had with someone else that had nothing to do with him. June 8

10. Officer Marc Dinardo, 37, was killed by a shotgun blast to the face while storming an apartment of two armed criminals. July 16

11. James Rhodes of Bayonne, 30, was shot once in the wrist and three times in the chest in an argument over his bicycle that was being stolen. August 6

12. Christine Mariano, 20, was strangled in her mother's house in Jersey City. The house was then set on fire to disguise the crime. September 1

13 27-year-old Jacqueline Reyes was stabbed to death at the Paulus Hook Towers in Jersey City in a home invasion robbery. December 8

14. Quaneera Adams, 17, died after suffering a gunshot wound to the head in her boyfriend's Forrest Street apartment. December 15

I guess less of these homicides are trouble makers that are killing other trouble makers like you claim.

P.S. JC had 30 homicides last year not 28 and 27 not 26 the year before. If the police are under reporting homicides which are harder to do I am positive they are doing the same on the crime stats for 2009.

Posted on: 2010/1/31 0:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
I find it interesting that crime has decreased nationwide despite the recession, counter to the liberal trope that poverty leads to crime (http://thecrimereport.org/2009/12/22/ ... ion-caused-crime-to-drop/).

There are many possible explanations and better policing is only one of them (and let's face it; it's the most flattering one for the government). I see 28 homicides vs. 26 in JC as statistical noise suggesting the same level but it's nothing to crow about given that they went down 19% in NYC. Also, homicides have long been considered a good benchmark of violent crime because they aren't as subject to reporting issues as other violent crime. Still, the other stats are encouragingly large decreases in JC.

Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Crime dip credited to smarter policing, more residents' participation

Thursday, January 28, 2010
GEM JEFFERSON
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Jersey City officials yesterday credited smarter policing, increased participation from residents, and expanded enforcement of the city's business curfew law, for the marked drop in crime last year.

Robberies dropped 30.4 percent, car thefts by 27.9 percent, burglaries 25.3 percent, simple and aggravated assault by 10.5 percent, and rape by 8.8 percent between 2008 and 2009, Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy and other officials said.

The homicide rate nudged upward, from 26 to 28.

Officials said block associations and special police units - assigned based on the close tracking of criminal incidents - played key roles in bringing down the crime.

Also, prompted by citizen complaints, the city has revoked exemptions for 17 businesses that were allowed to operate beyond the city's normal business curfew hours. According to the curfew law, businesses cannot operate between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m.

Officials expressed concern about the prevalence of illegal handguns, but said increased youth involvement with the Police Athletic League (PAL) and with the new Gang Resistance Education and Training (GREAT) should help.

Police Chief Thomas Comey said the city also plans to install more surveillance cameras.

Posted on: 2010/1/29 4:09

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/17 19:38
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Crime dip credited to smarter policing

Yeah, that an all the Facebook investigating by beat cops....

Posted on: 2010/1/28 20:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Crime dip credited to smarter policing, more residents' participation

Thursday, January 28, 2010
GEM JEFFERSON
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Jersey City officials yesterday credited smarter policing, increased participation from residents, and expanded enforcement of the city's business curfew law, for the marked drop in crime last year.

Robberies dropped 30.4 percent, car thefts by 27.9 percent, burglaries 25.3 percent, simple and aggravated assault by 10.5 percent, and rape by 8.8 percent between 2008 and 2009, Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy and other officials said.

The homicide rate nudged upward, from 26 to 28.

Officials said block associations and special police units - assigned based on the close tracking of criminal incidents - played key roles in bringing down the crime.

Also, prompted by citizen complaints, the city has revoked exemptions for 17 businesses that were allowed to operate beyond the city's normal business curfew hours. According to the curfew law, businesses cannot operate between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m.

Officials expressed concern about the prevalence of illegal handguns, but said increased youth involvement with the Police Athletic League (PAL) and with the new Gang Resistance Education and Training (GREAT) should help.

Police Chief Thomas Comey said the city also plans to install more surveillance cameras.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Vigilante - you're absolutely correct. heck, last week a gal was stopped on the light rail for not having a valid ticket... turns out she did have weed and a warrant for her! idiots can get caught thru random/increased minor stops...

skeptical - if you friend didnt report these crimes, then he's part of the problem too. if you think that's why numbers are going down, then not reporting crime will allow less moneys to be allocated to fight that crime.

Posted on: 2010/1/27 20:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

blogcityblog wrote:
You can hear the whole press conference on blogcityblog.com.

Thanks for providing coverage David. Interesting to listen to, as was your interview with the mayor a few weeks back.

Next time you speak with him, maybe you can ask the mayor what happened to resolving the Mariano Vega situation "in the next ten days" as he promised in your interview. The only thing that has happened since then was Vega was indicted.

Posted on: 2010/1/27 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/19 13:36
Group:
Registered Users
Healy can manipulate the stats any way he wants. I have a friend who's car was broken into twice. Came out and stuff was missing and the window broken. Didn't report it, since the cops wouldn't do anything anyway.

If everyone becomes apathetic like that, the crime rate will drop to zero.

From a personal perspective, following the news and events in JC, I think it's getting worse.

Posted on: 2010/1/27 19:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/24 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
You can hear the whole press conference on blogcityblog.com.

Posted on: 2010/1/27 18:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I like that the cops are doing more traffic stops. The common denominator with criminals and common coitizens is that we all need to get around. In NYC the subways were a great pinch-point through which hundreds of thousands of people passed. If you jumped a fare and drew attention to yourself, as criminals are wont to do, then often the cops could sift them out. In JC the cops HAVE to do more traffic stops. Criminals are stupid. They will run red-lights, stop-signs and speed. It's a perfect way to weed these punks out. BTW My recent experience with helping the cops nab a burglar was a very good experience. The cops were polite and reacted in a way that helped get this guy quickly. The detectives were great and very thankful.

Posted on: 2010/1/27 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
With regards to the bad areas, they need to be changed. The bad element must be removed. It must be made so uncomfortable that they don't want to do their criminal activity there.

While I'm no expert, some of the problem is that we inherited some of this criminal element as Hoboken over the years cleaned it's town up, plus when Giuliani became Mayor, he made it very uncomfortable for criminals in NYC and so they end up in a neighboring city where they have become comfortable.

I guess some of this can also go back to your point on petty crime, NYC did a nice job on everything from going after window squeegees, turnstile jumpers and at the same time some of them were also wanted for violent crime they committed. This can only be done by beefing up the police force and having it run by the right person.

That being said, somehow, someway, we need to remove the bad element.

Quote:

CapnJon wrote:
totally agree we need more law inforcement - every urban community always does.

totally agree there needs to be more community support.

totally agree there needs to be more community involvement - unfortunately, the people in the really bad areas dont do as much as they should (in my opinion) - as they chant the mantra of not snitching and rally against any police who show up at projects looking for scumbags.

not beefing up like Comey... that's funny!

Posted on: 2010/1/27 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
totally agree we need more law inforcement - every urban community always does.

totally agree there needs to be more community support.

totally agree there needs to be more community involvement - unfortunately, the people in the really bad areas dont do as much as they should (in my opinion) - as they chant the mantra of not snitching and rally against any police who show up at projects looking for scumbags.

not beefing up like Comey... that's funny!

Posted on: 2010/1/27 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
CapnJon - let me start by saying, I am happy there is actual drop in any aspect of crime. I know many guys on the police force, in addition to family members, now retired that were police officers, detectives and captains. They work hard to fight crime.

I see your point on Petty crime, I agree with you..I'm a fair a rational person and can be honest, I did not lok at petty crime in the same manner, mainly because of murders being up. Everyday I see the newspaper and pretty much there are shootings, or a gang beating up on someone, just seems like there is way too much violent crime.

I do believe our police force should be beefed up, and not in manner of Comey. They need more support and more citizen involvement too.

Quote:

CapnJon wrote:
actually JRL, i dont agree with you in full, not that I would expect you to be happy about any actual drop in any aspect of crime. but as you've said a million times, crime is down, Healy said so!

"Petty" crime - robbies and such - affect people like me, in Jersey City, much more than violent crime. If there's less of a chance of some punk with a gun trying to rob my wife, then yes, that makes me happy. Everyone on here complains about car break ins - so i'd say, yes, a drop in car thefts would make them happy.

i bet if you look at all of the homicides, which i wont do because i'm busy, but i'm sure someone on here will, you wont find any that were just a completely "innocent" person getting killed this year. Will you? And sure, one is too many, but what are the murders of the past year? A handful of domestic/drunk/drug killings between family/friends/acquaintences - no police program is going to protect me from a guy arguing with his wife and grabbing a steak knife.

and the rest (that i recall) are all between thugs/gangs/troublemakers. I know i know i know, every kid who gets shot (or does shooting) is a church going honor student who would "never do anything wrong" and who "wants to be a cop", but the bottom line is that the troublemakers have been killing the troublemakers. one guy tougher than the next, sure.

Fact of the matter is, statistically speaking, while i might work/travel/go to all areas of jersey city for one thing or another (yes, that includes hanging out in Greenville), i don't hang out with, or associate with gun toting thugs. So, in my completely unscientific study, that means i am less likely to end up dead this year of a violent act.

I am much more worried about speeding buses on Palisades that nearly run my wife over!

(feel free to attack me on any and all points. i'm just calling it like i see it).

Posted on: 2010/1/27 15:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It might be good to look and compare JC to the surrounding cities of NYC and Newark...

ie: In 2009 Brooklyn and the Bronx had about 10 murders per 100,000 people - ( Jersey City had 28 murders so it has about the same murder rate as those boroughs )

Here are NYC murders 2003-2009 (click NYTimes link)

http://projects.nytimes.com/crime/homicides/map

The City of Newark had
77 murders in 2009
67 murders in 2008
99 murders in 2007

With a population about equal that of Jersey City - Newark has almost three times the murder rate.

Here is a link:
http://dailynewarker.com/press/2010/0 ... safety-progress-report-2/

Posted on: 2010/1/27 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/1/27 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Healy: Cops drive down Jersey City's robberies, car thefts, burglaries to 30-year lows

Wednesday, January 27, 2010
By AMY SARA CLARK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Robberies, car thefts and burglaries in Jersey City are at 30-year lows, according to a news release from Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy.

"Whenever you experience any type of decrease in crime you have to be pleased, but when the numbers are proven to be double-digit drops, you have to applaud the exceptional efforts of the men and women in law enforcement," Healy says in the release.

And those double-digit drops are seen by comparing 2008's crime statistics and 2009's, according to the figures released by the city.

Homicides rose, however, from 26 cases in 2008 to 28 in 2009.

The largest statistical drop was in robberies, which fell 30.4 percent - from 1,254 in 2008 to 873 in 2009. This is down from a high in 1992 of 2,582 robberies.

Car thefts dropped 27.9 percent, from 1,209 in 2008 to 800 last year. Burglaries fell 25.3 percent, from 1,865 in 2008 to 1,393 in 2008. Both are the lowest figures since 1980, according to the release.

In addition, assaults, including both simple and aggravated, dropped by 10.5 percent, from 3,220 in 2008 to 2,883 in 2009; rapes decreased 8.8 percent, from 45 in 2008 to 41 in 2009; and arson fell 26.3 percent, from 59 in 2008 to 38 in 2009.

"I think we are on the right course when you have significant crime decreases in most of the violent crime categories and double-digit drops in all of nonviolent crime categories despite the troubling economy," Jersey City Police Chief Tom Comey says in the release.

Police have used the statistics to "develop specific strategies to offset crime trends in progress," such as deploying to those areas "a more uniformed police presence or investigators in an undercover capacity," city spokesman Stan H. Eason said.

The crime statistics have been certified by the New Jersey State Police and will eventually be released in the annual FBI Uniform Crime Report, according to the release.

Posted on: 2010/1/27 13:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Last year, there were 28 murders in the city, up from 26 the year before. While crime might be down on more petty crime, we have a major issue with regards to Violent Crime, Shooting and Murders. I would have to believe the residents of Jersey City would prefer to feel safer from Violent crime rather petty crime.

Posted on: 2010/1/26 16:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/13 21:59
Group:
Registered Users
I believe that there is a direct correlation between all of the politicians being arrested in July 2009 and the reduction of the crime rate. Once Leona ?Hope Diamond? Beldini gives up her boss to save her hide, the crime rate will plummet faster then a JC cop getting paid in cash for a ?detail?. Who am I kidding? It is getting more expensive and dangerous to live in JC year to year.

Posted on: 2010/1/26 16:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Like employers and landlords -- cops now use sites like facebook: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_of_s ... ebsites_in_investigations Quote:
HobbiesOdd wrote:
I'm surprised, considering I just snapped this photo of JC's Finest hard at work on Facebook....

Posted on: 2010/1/26 16:16

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/17 19:38
Group:
Registered Users

I'm surprised, considering I just snapped this photo of JC's Finest hard at work on Facebook....

Posted on: 2010/1/26 15:51

CRIME DROP A 30 YEAR LOW
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone see or post this yet?

Jersey City to hold press conf because media 'refuses' to report its positive crime stats

JERSEY CITY -- City Hall in Jersey City released a press release Monday evening headlined, "CRIME DROP A 30 YEAR LOW /Still Big Secret, Media Refuses to Report it"

The release noted as follows:
Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy and police department officials are holding a news conference to announce record-setting crime statistics at 11 a.m. on Wednesday, January 27, 2010, at City Hall.

The press conference is being called to address the news media?s refusal to print and broadcast this positive story regarding crime instead of the usual ?if it bleeds, it leads? type crime story.

Mayor Healy will show how police and community efforts are paying off with 30-year lows in major crime categories, facts that were widely distributed nearly a week ago, yet all media outlets refused to acknowledge.

The conference is scheduled due to the lack of response from media to cover such positive new items regarding the Jersey City ? the state?s second largest city.
The city had previously released a press release touting their crime drop, which was posted on the Hudson Reporter website (www.hudsonreporter.com) first thing this morning. The release was received Friday.

The release came on the heels of two point-blank murders of young men in one day a week earlier, a story that was addressed in the Jersey City Reporter as part of a larger story of the city's rising murder rate. Last year, there were 28 murders in the city, up from 26 the year before. Many of them were of men under the age of 25, part of what some officials believe is a gang retaliation trend that has continued for more than a year.

http://hudsonreporter.com/view/full_s ... te_lead_story_left_column

Posted on: 2010/1/26 15:29

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017