Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
101 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City switching to flashing traffic lights to cut pollution, speed traffic
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

regulator wrote:
this is a good idea for blocks that really are not too trafficked. i dont know if any of the DTJC ones on the list would fit this criteria. the ones i've driven by in the heights, however, seem ok choices to me.

I have to admit I really have enjoyed the flashing red at 9th and Erie at 5 am the last few days. I always seem to get stuck at that light and have to wait while no other traffic comes by that early.

How about we make the lights at the Holland Tunnel approaches and exits flashing yellows? (That's not a serious comment for those of you that think every comment posted on this site is serious)

Posted on: 2009/12/5 14:50
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Re: Jersey City switching to flashing traffic lights to cut pollution, speed traffic
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

The major thoroughfares will be given the flashing yellow lights, which requires motorists to yield and proceed with caution.

The minor roadways will be given the flashing red, the equivalent of a stop sign...

You would think it would be more logical to give the major thoroughfares the flashing red and the minor ones the flashing yellow from a traffic volume and safety point of view.

Posted on: 2009/12/5 14:46
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moxiebaby wrote:
Switching to flashing lights at intersections is a terrible idea in a city where many drivers have little notion of traffic rules to begin with. This past weekend a driver plowed into our car because she assumed the flashing red light at 10th/Erie meant the light was "broken" and she could fly through the intersection, tearing off our fender. Luckily my bf swerved out of the way or things could've been a lot worse.

Just curious, how long has this person been a licensed driver, lived in N.J, also how young, and are they new in the country. Was this driver that ran the blinking light issued a summons for admiting they ignored the blinking light. These are important factors that drive insurance rates up.

Posted on: 2009/12/5 8:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCase wrote:
Quote:
The intersections that were chosen....have not had any fatal or dangerous accidents in the past four years, officials said.

"There must be something we can do to change that," they said.

bingo.

Posted on: 2009/12/5 8:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
this is a good idea for blocks that really are not too trafficked. i dont know if any of the DTJC ones on the list would fit this criteria. the ones i've driven by in the heights, however, seem ok choices to me.

Posted on: 2009/12/4 23:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
After talking to the Indian family down the street, this will result in the BIGGER vehicles having right of way as in India - watch out those that drive a compact, ride a bike (motorbike) or want to cross the road as a pedestrian !

Watch how our car insurance costs rise and the come back of the large SUV's - Wouldn't surprise me if the motoring industry was be hide it, like when they bought up all the light rail and tram tracks in the country then removed them !

Posted on: 2009/12/4 22:49
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/16 20:17
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
This rule should only apply in high crime areas of the city...24 hours a day.

LOL, I think I'm the only one that noticed your lil' joke

Posted on: 2009/12/4 17:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
This is a bad, bad, bad idea. Especially in a city like JC that is very pedestrian-based (although not always pedestrian-friendly, as evidenced by this). Do you know how many people cross the intersection of Barrow and Montgomery on foot? A lot. I guarantee somebody gets hit by a car flying down Montgomery. Probably a drunk person walking back from the Beer Garden. I wish I was joking.

Posted on: 2009/12/4 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Switching to flashing lights at intersections is a terrible idea in a city where many drivers have little notion of traffic rules to begin with. This past weekend a driver plowed into our car because she assumed the flashing red light at 10th/Erie meant the light was "broken" and she could fly through the intersection, tearing off our fender. Luckily my bf swerved out of the way or things could've been a lot worse.

Posted on: 2009/12/4 17:03

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/25 11:02
Group:
Registered Users
I'm all for cutting pollution, but do cars really idle that much on JC streets? I'm not a driver so I'm biased, but when I've been riding with a friend or in a cab it doesn't seem to me like there was a problem. As for speeding traffic? Did they really say that? They want to encourage drivers to speed on city streets? WT...??But what seems to be completely missing in this plan is the pedestrian equation. While the cars will see flashing reds and yellows, pedestrians will just see a blacked out walk/don't walk sign, I guess to save electricity. I agree with kitten that this creates a dangerous situation where people will have to edge out into the intersection and just hope the cars slow down. This seems quite at odds with the Team Healy progressive urban planning that has been winning all those awards.

Posted on: 2009/12/3 22:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
The intersections that were chosen....have not had any fatal or dangerous accidents in the past four years, officials said.

"There must be something we can do to change that," they said.

Posted on: 2009/12/3 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
This rule should only apply in high crime areas of the city...24 hours a day.

Posted on: 2009/12/3 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/14 0:06
Group:
Registered Users
Add the corner of Barrow & Montgomery to the list. I did not know that 7:30am was late night. Learn something every day.

It's been like that since yesterday, and I've had 2 lunatics roll through the light crossing Montgomery (they have the red), causing me to jam on my brakes. 2 for 2, looking good.

How about adjusting the lights so they're not red for so long on the through street and red a little longer on the side street?

Looking forward to lights throughout Jersey City being treated with the same respect as the stopsigns on Jersey.

Pollution. I'd like to see that part of the engineering report.

Posted on: 2009/12/3 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
I really think this is an awful idea. Awful. I've seen people blow right through flashing red lights without even slowing down. And it is so hard to see on some of these streets, like Summit or Webster because of cars parked all the way to the corners... especially at night. You are going to have to nose all of the way out just to see if it's safe to go. I am really so worried about this. It is true. A lot of people don't know the rules about flashing lights and I believe this is really going to lead to some terrible accidents.

Posted on: 2009/12/3 16:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/29 4:12
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
I bet the buses and vans will really speed now!

As opposed to rapidly accelerating to make/run red lights, which exudes oodles of safety.

Posted on: 2009/12/3 4:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 23:23
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
Gee I was wondering why, good info.

Posted on: 2009/12/3 3:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I've also noticed this at the intersection of Phillips and JC Blvd and the intersection of 9th and Erie.

Posted on: 2009/12/3 1:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
I bet the buses and vans will really speed now!

Posted on: 2009/12/3 1:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I guarantee not 1 in 5 JC drivers can tell you what a flashing red or yellow actually means. Somebody connected's auto body shop must be slow.

Posted on: 2009/12/3 1:14

Jersey City switching to flashing traffic lights to cut pollution, speed traffic
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City switching to flashing traffic lights to cut pollution, speed traffic

By The Jersey Journal
December 02, 2009, 1:51PM

Jersey City plans to switch to flashing traffic lights at 44 intersections to cut pollution and speed traffic.

Traffic lights at 44 intersections in Jersey City are switching from solid reds and greens at night to flashing reds and yellows.

The idea is to improve traffic flow and lessen pollution, said Municipal Engineer Bill Goble.

At present, some of these intersections switch to flash mode from midnight to 5 a.m.

The new program would move up the start time to 9 p.m.

The intersections that were chosen are quiet and have not had any fatal or dangerous accidents in the past four years, officials said.

After 60 days each intersection will be evaluated to see if the change improved the flow of traffic, Goble said.

The major thoroughfares will be given the flashing yellow lights, which requires motorists to yield and proceed with caution.

The minor roadways will be given the flashing red, the equivalent of a stop sign, Goble said.
Technicians have already begun making the switch, but Goble didn't know yesterday when they would finish.

Not everyone is a fan of change.

Frank DeBellis who lives on Mallory Avenue, where four intersections will switch to flashing lights, said he first noticed the change on Nov. 20.

"I just think it's too early (9 p.m.)," DeBellis said. "You got an accident in the making."

The intersections in Jersey City switching to flashing lights from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. are:

1) Baldwin Ave. & Mercer St.
2) Baldwin Ave. & St. Paul's Ave.
3) Beacon Ave. & Oakland Ave.
4) Bergen Ave. & Gifford Ave.
5) Bergen Ave. & Stegman Ave.
6) Bergen Ave. & Virginia Ave.
7) Broadway & Wales Ave.
8) Central Ave. & Beacon Ave.
9) Central Ave. & Laidlaw Ave.
10) Central Ave. & Prospect Ave.
11) Garfield Ave. & Chapel Ave.
12) Garfield Ave. & Gates Ave.