Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Paulus Hook Pizza
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/30 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Same here last week. Burnt crumbling crust. The week before we placed an order over the phone and they never brought us our pizza...

Posted on: 2011/7/29 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Had Paulus Hook delivered last week and it came burnt. Not just a little burnt, the crust was actually black and crumbling.

Posted on: 2011/7/29 16:42

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/29 23:10
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
My wife and I always order John's Margherita pizza and we're never disappointed.

Posted on: 2011/7/29 15:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/10 23:12
From Henderson Yards
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone ordered from PH recently? We're having people over tomorrow and I'm trying to decide on them or John's (never had either). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Posted on: 2011/7/29 14:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 14:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, I'm not getting this at all. It sounds like you paid either $26.50 or $32.50 for a pizza? And they would charge the same price for half a pizza?

Posted on: 2011/2/28 23:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
I am confused...what happened? You got a pizza that was half plain and half topping? So what happened with the charge?

Posted on: 2011/2/28 22:45

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/28 21:05
Group:
Registered Users
UPDATE!

I just had a nice conversation with the manager today. He was really slammed last night and wasn't in the position to talk, but today he had more time to really hear my concern. He has agreed to review their disclaimer with the owner and to reword the menu to make it clear that there will be additional costs incurred for splitting a pie.

This makes me happy because they have great pie. I feel better about ordering from them. They are good guys who care.

Posted on: 2011/2/28 21:10

Watch out!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/28 21:05
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone else run across this? It's pretty scandalous.

I ordered a pizza from Brick Oven in Paulus Hook. I really like their pizza. My friend and I split the pizza. On their menu it reads, and I quote: "Prices for half and whole pizzas are the same."

When we got our order, the total cost of the pizza was $26.50, which seemed right, and then there was this extra $6.00 tacked on.

We called because we assumed there was some kind of mistake. It turns out that what they do is charge you for the entire price of the more expensive pizza (which seems appropriate), and then they charge you again for the cheaper half of the pizza. What they do, the guy explained, is take the price of a marghertia pizza and charge 2.50/topping. This is how they got the $6.00. He said their disclaimer was in print. I asked him where. He pointed me to the, "Prices for half and whole pizzas are the same." Huh?

When I look at their disclaimer it looks like what it says, that prices for half or whole pizzas are the same. The same meaning the same. Am I missing something?

Pretty scandalous, if you ask me. Maybe a case for the Better Business Bureau.

Posted on: 2011/2/28 20:42

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/15 20:22
Group:
Registered Users
Agree about the greasy pizza @ Paulus Hook. As far as the boxes for slices the only place I've seen them is @ Pizza Gargiulo on Greene Street. It does make a difference when you don't want to eat them right away. Their boxes are heavy & keep the slices hot

Posted on: 2009/9/8 21:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/28 13:19
Group:
Registered Users
I mostly saw it in Washington, D.C. In particular, my favorite little Italian deli that sold pizza by the slice had those boxes. But maybe that place was out of the ordinary, I don't know.

Anyway, Paulus Hook Pizza was good. I guess that's all I needed to say.

Posted on: 2009/9/8 2:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well, to be fair, no grease got in my car. But I still like the cardboard single-slice boxes. Easier to carry, stays warmer, etc.

If y'all haven't seen this around here, maybe it's an outside-of-the-NYC-metro-area thing. I was surprised when they just stuffed a slice into a bag, but what do I know?

Posted on: 2009/9/8 1:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/25 0:22
Group:
Banned
But honestly.

If there's that much grease on your pizza, the pizza can't be that good.

Posted on: 2009/9/8 1:03
As hard to handle as chopsticks.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/25 0:22
Group:
Banned
What about a giant self-heating metal box with a lock on it and silicone seals around the edges.

They'll give you 24 hours to return it, otherwise you are banned from the pizzeria.

Posted on: 2009/9/8 1:02
As hard to handle as chopsticks.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I went here tonight and got a margherita slice and a slice of pepperoni. It was good enough that I'd definitely go back again.

My one complaint is they put my to go order on a paper plate in a paper bag. Seems like they could get those single-slice cardboard containers like other pizza places have---it keeps the slice warmer and it reduces the chance of getting grease in my car.

Posted on: 2009/9/7 23:58

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/12 13:06
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCProducer wrote:
I lived in the Paulus Hook area for 5 years, and was a weekly visitor to La Rustique and it was my favorite. Now I live over in VVP and recently visited Johns.

I was underwhelmed - too much cheese, not enough basil and too greasy. There is this fine line and dichotomy I must deal with in my exploration of the perfect slice.

Here's the key to getting the best out of John's: start with the Marinara pizza and build from there. I completely agree with you that the regular Margarita has way too much cheese and is too greasy. The Marinara has no cheese. If you want cheese, ask for a Marinara with FRESH mozzarella. Instead of globs of the shredded rubber stuff that goes on the Margarita, you get thin slices of the real stuff in modest quantities. It makes all the difference.

Generally speaking, there is no GREAT pizza in JC. Sad but true, folks. Still, a John's Mariana with fresh mozz and sausage is as close as we can manage, and frankly, it's really pretty good. Of course, you need to eat it there. Thin crust pies like this don't travel well, and even if you're picking it up and walking only a few blocks home, the few minutes will really kill the pie.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 15:34

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/30 17:43
Group:
Registered Users
I lived in the Paulus Hook area for 5 years, and was a weekly visitor to La Rustique and it was my favorite. Now I live over in VVP and recently visited Johns.

I was underwhelmed - too much cheese, not enough basil and too greasy. There is this fine line and dichotomy I must deal with in my exploration of the perfect slice.

On one side is that sentimental perfect Jersey slice. Its not thin crust - its cheesy and it is made for the perfect fold. I love that in a slice.

Then on the other hand - you have La Rustique. Not really traditional NJ pizza as I would classify it - but remarkably good.

I have yet to go to the new Paulus Hook Pizza, but my full evaluation will follow. But for some reason the balance of basil cheese and sauce is optimal for me at La Rustique. Call it a maturation of my pizza sensibilities - but I like it. The more and more I go back the less and less I desire that traditional pizza.

Its like when you think your mother's red sauce is the best on earth and then you go to a restaurant and your perspective is completely changed. You deny it - because of the emotional connection you have to the original - but after a while you realize, much to your dismay. It's true.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 20:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/19 13:36
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
What we got delivered was god-awful! I wonder how we can tell the owner that we were not happy?

Quote:

simonsays wrote:
So much better than John's and this place has the potential to be amazing, but there's no product consistency (and I've tried the same pie three times now). I'm hoping the owner is still just working out the kinks.

The ingredients are fresh and perfect, but the proportions are all wacky. One time I went and the crust was a little dense, one time there was so much sauce it was dripping off the sides when I attempted to lift a slice, and one time I went and there were only about three rings of onion on the whole olive and onion pie! Dear owner, please get the pie makers follow a recipe consistently. Thank you!

Yeah--a little suspicious that many of the GLOWING compliments come from newbies and people that have rarely posted on here before.

I've had slices from there a couple of times. I think it's good, but I've never ordered a pie.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
What we got delivered was god-awful! I wonder how we can tell the owner that we were not happy?

Quote:

simonsays wrote:
So much better than John's and this place has the potential to be amazing, but there's no product consistency (and I've tried the same pie three times now). I'm hoping the owner is still just working out the kinks.

The ingredients are fresh and perfect, but the proportions are all wacky. One time I went and the crust was a little dense, one time there was so much sauce it was dripping off the sides when I attempted to lift a slice, and one time I went and there were only about three rings of onion on the whole olive and onion pie! Dear owner, please get the pie makers follow a recipe consistently. Thank you!

Posted on: 2009/8/9 14:13

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/12 11:21
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/8/9 14:05

Paulus Hook Pizza

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/8 9:50
Group:
Registered Users
Finally we have GREAT pizza in Paulus Hook !! Nice thin crust, fresh ingredients, and great wine next door !! LOVE their veggie pie with added olives !! So much better than John's Pizza !!!

Posted on: 2009/8/8 1:48

Re: Paulus Hook Pizza-back open and better than before !!
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/15 20:22
Group:
Registered Users
Have to agree it looks like the owner posted his own review considering he said "we" are back in business. Other then that I also agree that the wings at the Iron Monkey are probably the best around. As far as the pizza at Paulus Hook definitely too soggy. John's in NYC is actually my favorite. Don't know what's wrong with the one in J.C. but it's not the same. Just not enough taste. Tried it twice but NG.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 18:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/21 20:09
Group:
Registered Users
I do grant that the outside seating has improved... But the menu is a shameless copy of La Rustique, that right there tells me who is copying whom (and not that well).

Posted on: 2009/7/17 14:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/30 3:40
Group:
Banned
Any wise business man knows that if you go into business, especially a retail business, it's most ideal that you should own the property that you are conducting your business. Actually, it's a fundamental checklist item when starting a new business. I'm sure the La Rustique owner was well aware of this, took a risk and lost out.

I ate at Paulus Hook Pizza this past week and thought the Pizza was very good, if not the same, maybe a little bit better than La Rustique. Notably though, which no one has yet to mention is that there is much more seating available. It's also nicer, too. I was shaded from the sun by the nice green umbrellas. That's definitely a big plus and all the seats were full with a nice lunch time crowd. In short, it's a welcome addition to the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 14:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
BUT, the landlord is a piece of shit. he tripled the rent on the Rustique owners AFTER he built an incredible oven, and then took over his space only to open a new pizza place.

After hearing this
I spoke to one of the workers at he new La Rustique. He flatly denied that their move had anything to do with the Landlord. He went on to say that the new ovens are a 100 times better then the old one and that he had to be careful that he did not burn himself pulling pizzas from the old oven.

Where do you get your info?

Posted on: 2009/7/17 4:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/21 20:09
Group:
Registered Users
We tried the new spot for the first time and we found it to be ok, but not as good as rustique. The salads are semi-copies, the pie is heavier. It's not bad, but it's not great, and it doesn't seem to have enough of its own personality just yet. Hopefully it will improve with time...

I don't know about the rent/landlord business. If true, that's pretty mean-spirited to take over someone else's oven and business (no relationship to either owner, but have had rustique for a few years).

Posted on: 2009/7/15 0:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 20:09
Group:
Banned
I ordered from Paulus Hook Pizza last Thursday evening. I thought it was very good. But I would be interested in trying John's. Where are they located?

Posted on: 2009/7/14 21:43

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/12 13:06
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
My wife and I were not impressed with Paulus Hook Pizza. Sauce was too sweet. Crust was spongy and undercooked. Sausage was the thin-sliced grayish brown kind (aka, CHEAP and NASTY). Fresh Mozzarella was ok, but that was the only good part of the pizza. We won't be ordering from them again.

We are definitely of the opinion that John's is still the best Pizza in (down)town (not perfect, but far superior to any other offereing), with Buon Appetito bringing in second place (a serviceable, if flawed pie, bolstered by the fact that this place has great cannoli!).

Posted on: 2009/7/14 20:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/16 19:10
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
I tried this place last night and thought it was pretty terrible. I had a stomach ache the rest of the night. Granted it was later in the evening so the pizza may have been sitting around, but I had a pepperoni slice that was overseasoned, dry, and just tasted funny. The white slice was mediocre at best.

Posted on: 2009/7/14 18:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
I think your name is a clever play on the movie Memento.

As far as the pizza is concerned, we have tried it and it was ok. It will make for a change of pace when we decide to replace Buon Appetito once in a while.

And regarding the oven, when you rent someone else's property and you decide to make a major change to it, you should probably come to some kind of agreement before shelling out the bucks. Otherwise, you should assume you will be giving it up when the lease ends. But it is my impression that neither the owners of La Rustique or the owners of this building are reasonable business people.

Posted on: 2009/7/8 13:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/8 13:13
Group:
Registered Users
Weinish,

Your name phonetically speaks for itself. Stop complaining.

And what's your point about the oven? Whether the brick oven is built into the store or a regular pizza stove is screwed into the ground or the floor, that oven becomes a fixture to the building, so that oven legally becomes a part of that building.

Posted on: 2009/7/7 17:44

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017