Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
12 user(s) are online (10 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 12

more...




Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users




« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 44 »


Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/11/10 15:38
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1495
Offline
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Some passengers at Hoboken Terminal will have to wait a little longer to catch a PATH train to New York, and they can blame overcrowding in Jersey City for it, Port Authority officials told NJ Advance Media on Tuesday.

Passengers headed to 33rd Street from Hoboken now must wait seven minutes between trains instead of six, since Port Authority extended wait times in late April, said spokesman Steve Coleman. The changes only apply from 7:35 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m., and were implemented in order to decrease wait times at Jersey City stations, which have been experiencing "significant platform crowding issues" due to "high growth and ridership," he said.

Story


Zimmer should shut the hell up. I hate how this article is written to make it seem like we have to apologize to Hoboken for having the gall to make them wait one whole extra minute for the PATH.

The Hoboken trains are always nearly empty in comparison to the Jersey City trains so I think there should be even more of a service shift.


Zimmer should shut the hell up?? Where is she griping about service moving to JC. The PA hasn’t even specified what additional service JC is getting now (if any). The only thing she quoted about would benefit us too…

"We should be talking about adding more capacity, yet the Port Authority cut rush hour service by 14 percent overnight with no public input…It defies all logic...Enough with the service cuts, enough with the short-sightedness. Let's invest in a 21st century transportation system that will truly support our growing region."

I hope she speaks up some more, and hopefully Fulop does too.


Yes, she should shut up. She's loudly complaining about the recent change to the PATH schedules that increased 33rd street rush hour frequency to all JC stations. If the reporter is correct, she wants it reversed, which would harm JC. And it's discussed right in the article, not sure what you missed.

Previously, 33rd rush hour trains to JC came every 5 minutes. Now they come every 4 minutes. Apparently, that extra minute in frequency came at the expense of Hoboken, who has long enjoyed far superior service to JC (their trains are always less crowded). She should appreciate how great Hoboken has had it compared to JC and put a lid on it.

Posted on: 5/19 17:24
Print Top


Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2009/12/22 15:28
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 686
Offline
But did the PA cut service by 14% or shift service to different stations? It is an important distinction.

The 33rd street line is currently at capacity. Adding service simply isn't an option in the short term. Adjusting service so you add to areas that are crowded at the expense of areas that are not crowded makes sense. It's the first logical thing I've seen them do in forever.

FWIW, I looked at the schedules and JSQ is 4-5 min between trains to Hoboken's 7.

Posted on: 5/19 17:06
Print Top


Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
4/7 12:51
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 116
Offline
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:

Zimmer should shut the hell up?? Where is she griping about service moving to JC. The PA hasn’t even specified what additional service JC is getting now (if any). The only thing she quoted about would benefit us too…

"We should be talking about adding more capacity, yet the Port Authority cut rush hour service by 14 percent overnight with no public input…It defies all logic...Enough with the service cuts, enough with the short-sightedness. Let's invest in a 21st century transportation system that will truly support our growing region."

I hope she speaks up some more, and hopefully Fulop does too.


The PA has absolutely specified additional JC service, it's all in the schedule. For instance, the every-5-minute trains now start a little earlier and end a little later for both morning and evening rush hours. Of course it's not enough, though.

That said, I agree entirely, and it's obviously time for some new ideas. PA is spending all this money upgrading stations (sadly, not the most useful ones) from 8-car to 10-car - why not make the switch to articulated train cars? You could run longer trains with existing stations, not to mention use all that wasted space between cars (probably increasing the usable space by 5-10% without adding any length at all). They might even be able to run some trains express (say, stopping only at Christopher and 33rd) as long as they could coordinate the turnarounds properly.

Hudson County as a whole (including both Zimmer and Fulop) needs to be aggressively pushing this sort of thing to all agencies involved. Unfortunately, there are three of them, and none of them are solely concerned with the needs of Hudson County residents. That's a problem. But there are solutions. Adding a Hudson County north-south ferry line run by NJ Transit, maybe even subsidizing ferry travel in general? Increasing light rail service and speeds? Figuring out some way to get these agencies to work together so that taking the (higher capacity, lower crowding) WTC PATH and connecting to the subway doesn't have to double monthly commute costs? All these things could help.

Posted on: 5/19 17:04
Print Top


Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/6/14 9:36
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 320
Offline
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Some passengers at Hoboken Terminal will have to wait a little longer to catch a PATH train to New York, and they can blame overcrowding in Jersey City for it, Port Authority officials told NJ Advance Media on Tuesday.

Passengers headed to 33rd Street from Hoboken now must wait seven minutes between trains instead of six, since Port Authority extended wait times in late April, said spokesman Steve Coleman. The changes only apply from 7:35 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m., and were implemented in order to decrease wait times at Jersey City stations, which have been experiencing "significant platform crowding issues" due to "high growth and ridership," he said.

Story


Zimmer should shut the hell up. I hate how this article is written to make it seem like we have to apologize to Hoboken for having the gall to make them wait one whole extra minute for the PATH.

The Hoboken trains are always nearly empty in comparison to the Jersey City trains so I think there should be even more of a service shift.


Zimmer should shut the hell up?? Where is she griping about service moving to JC. The PA hasn’t even specified what additional service JC is getting now (if any). The only thing she quoted about would benefit us too…

"We should be talking about adding more capacity, yet the Port Authority cut rush hour service by 14 percent overnight with no public input…It defies all logic...Enough with the service cuts, enough with the short-sightedness. Let's invest in a 21st century transportation system that will truly support our growing region."

I hope she speaks up some more, and hopefully Fulop does too.

Posted on: 5/19 16:38
Print Top


Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/7/25 2:04
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 244
Offline
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Some passengers at Hoboken Terminal will have to wait a little longer to catch a PATH train to New York, and they can blame overcrowding in Jersey City for it, Port Authority officials told NJ Advance Media on Tuesday.

Passengers headed to 33rd Street from Hoboken now must wait seven minutes between trains instead of six, since Port Authority extended wait times in late April, said spokesman Steve Coleman. The changes only apply from 7:35 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m., and were implemented in order to decrease wait times at Jersey City stations, which have been experiencing "significant platform crowding issues" due to "high growth and ridership," he said.

Story


Zimmer should shut the hell up. I hate how this article is written to make it seem like we have to apologize to Hoboken for having the gall to make them wait one whole extra minute for the PATH.

The Hoboken trains are always nearly empty in comparison to the Jersey City trains so I think there should be even more of a service shift.


She should go to the Christopher Street stop during evening rush hour to see how jam packed the JSQ trains are compared to the Hoboken trains.

Having to wait an extra minute is nothing compared to having to let a train or two go by because you can't cram your self on a train.

Posted on: 5/19 16:21
Print Top


Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
4/7 12:51
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 116
Offline
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

The Hoboken trains are always nearly empty in comparison to the Jersey City trains so I think there should be even more of a service shift.


Hell, sometimes, I'll just take a nice walk up the waterfront if I get ready earlier than normal.

Ironic, though, that the development of Journal Square might get rid of some of the car -> PATH commuters.

Posted on: 5/19 15:58
Print Top


Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/11/7 22:36
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 695
Offline
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Some passengers at Hoboken Terminal will have to wait a little longer to catch a PATH train to New York, and they can blame overcrowding in Jersey City for it, Port Authority officials told NJ Advance Media on Tuesday.

Passengers headed to 33rd Street from Hoboken now must wait seven minutes between trains instead of six, since Port Authority extended wait times in late April, said spokesman Steve Coleman. The changes only apply from 7:35 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m., and were implemented in order to decrease wait times at Jersey City stations, which have been experiencing "significant platform crowding issues" due to "high growth and ridership," he said.

Story


I miss working in the city but I don't miss the rush hour commute.

Posted on: 5/19 15:46
Print Top


Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2009/12/22 15:28
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 686
Offline
Stellar reporting there, detailing the cuts to Hoboken, but no mention of what the increase is for JC.

Posted on: 5/19 15:41
Print Top


Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/11/10 15:38
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1495
Offline
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Some passengers at Hoboken Terminal will have to wait a little longer to catch a PATH train to New York, and they can blame overcrowding in Jersey City for it, Port Authority officials told NJ Advance Media on Tuesday.

Passengers headed to 33rd Street from Hoboken now must wait seven minutes between trains instead of six, since Port Authority extended wait times in late April, said spokesman Steve Coleman. The changes only apply from 7:35 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m., and were implemented in order to decrease wait times at Jersey City stations, which have been experiencing "significant platform crowding issues" due to "high growth and ridership," he said.

Story


Zimmer should shut the hell up. I hate how this article is written to make it seem like we have to apologize to Hoboken for having the gall to make them wait one whole extra minute for the PATH.

The Hoboken trains are always nearly empty in comparison to the Jersey City trains so I think there should be even more of a service shift.

Posted on: 5/19 15:35
Print Top


Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/1/11 13:21
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4145
Offline
Some passengers at Hoboken Terminal will have to wait a little longer to catch a PATH train to New York, and they can blame overcrowding in Jersey City for it, Port Authority officials told NJ Advance Media on Tuesday.

Passengers headed to 33rd Street from Hoboken now must wait seven minutes between trains instead of six, since Port Authority extended wait times in late April, said spokesman Steve Coleman. The changes only apply from 7:35 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m., and were implemented in order to decrease wait times at Jersey City stations, which have been experiencing "significant platform crowding issues" due to "high growth and ridership," he said.

Story

Posted on: 5/19 15:22
Print Top


Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/11/10 15:38
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1495
Offline
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
It's 82 degrees out, and not only is the air conditioning absent from this packed train outta Newark, the heated seats are on full blast.

When informed of this, the conductor shrugged.

Good job, PATH.


This interaction is symbolic of the broader relationship between the PA and the general public. Try asking the PA why we are forced to divert to Hoboken late nights and on weekends and you'll get a similar shrug.

Posted on: 5/10 22:18
Print Top


Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/2/3 16:36
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1145
Offline
It's 82 degrees out, and not only is the air conditioning absent from this packed train outta Newark, the heated seats are on full blast.

When informed of this, the conductor shrugged.

Good job, PATH.

Posted on: 5/10 16:50
Print Top


Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/4/14 23:58
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 731
Offline
Waited almost 30min for a WTC bound train this morning at Grove.

What a joke.


Posted on: 4/25 18:55
Print Top


Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular


Hide User information
Joined:
2006/5/5 15:55
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 61
Offline
Did you hear? A new PATH schedule starting this weekend. So, exciting. I can't wait to see how the reduce service this time.

Posted on: 4/24 23:07
Print Top


Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular


Hide User information
Joined:
2014/7/29 22:49
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 46
Offline
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

jc2007 wrote:
Does anyone know what happened to the NY Waterway Ferry service from Newport?

The landing site is deteriorating, NYW doesn't think it's safe. NYW talked to Newport about an alternate site, and apparently decided that Paulus Hook was close enough.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _of_newport_terminal.html


Also close enough to Brooklyn & Queens so they could spend effort on the NYC subsidize route.

Posted on: 3/18 22:14
Print Top


Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/10/10 23:28
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2888
Offline
Jeez, it's obvious. One of them, the WTC line, is a loop. That allows for more trains as opposed to 33rd. where every train has to be turned around thus slowing down the whole line.

Posted on: 3/18 0:47
Print Top


Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/7/3 1:49
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1153
Offline
one goes to 33rd and the other goes to wtc

what do i win?

Posted on: 3/18 0:42
Print Top


Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/10/10 23:28
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2888
Offline
A hint.
Resized Image

Posted on: 3/17 18:42
Print Top


Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/10/10 23:28
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2888
Offline
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Yesterday afternoon, at the 14th St station: announcement playing stating that due to signal failure all trains on the 33rd St line were experiencing delays (seriously, is this a joke!?) A train to Hoboken pulls into the station and EVERY CAR had ample seating available. Heck, some cars seem to have had at least half the seats empty. 10 minutes later, the JSQ train shows up... EVERY CAR is crowded, no seats available to anyone.

They REALLY need to adjust the JSQ and HOB schedules to alter the frequency of trains heading to each destination. It is a (cruel) joke to run half empty trains to HOB, while JSQ trains are running with crowded conditions.


The ratio of WTC to 33rd trains is becoming just as much of a problem, I think. Two WTC trains come for every 33rd St train, and typically every other WTC train is pretty empty, while the 33rd Street trains are packed at any hour before 9am. On days that I commute I tend to get to Grove between 9-9:15 so it's not bad, but if I have an early situation I have to get to, the 33rd Street line is Sardinesville.


$1.00 for the first person who can tell us the difference between the 33rd St and WTC train routes? Quick!

Posted on: 3/17 15:35
Print Top


Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2005/12/17 21:57
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 566
Offline
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
The ratio of WTC to 33rd trains is becoming just as much of a problem, I think. Two WTC trains come for every 33rd St train, and typically every other WTC train is pretty empty, while the 33rd Street trains are packed at any hour before 9am. On days that I commute I tend to get to Grove between 9-9:15 so it's not bad, but if I have an early situation I have to get to, the 33rd Street line is Sardinesville.


LOL, when I was going to work on WTC line around 8-8:15am it was completely opposite. The 33rd lines were not packed whereas WTC riders need to wait.

This is because of the timing, most people going to WTC work in finance and need to be in the office and prepare everything before the markets open. Hence the decline in ridership around 9am.

Posted on: 3/17 14:41
Print Top


Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 17:43
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1255
Offline
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
So after $4bn in the hole for the new WTC PATH station, now the Port Authority is mulling another $11bn for a rebuild of the Bus Terminal?!?!

Yes it's a hole, but it's a fricking bus station! Every bus station I have ever been to is a hole - because they are BUS STATIONS!

$3bn for 1WTC, by far the most expensive skyscraper ever built; $4bn for the PATH terminal, by far the most expensive train station ever built. Now $11bn for this boondoggle - what a disgrace.

Just to put this in perspective, the budget for the cancelled ARC Tunnel into Penn Station was $8.7 billion. Yet another vanity project from the PA which does virtually nothing to add capacity to the region's infrastructure or do anything to plan for the one million new people living in NYC by 2040, and the additional millions living in the metro area.

The Port Authority is an embarrassment to the human species.

Do you notice that all of these vanity projects are in Manhattan? This is Scumbag Cuomo getting his.

Then, they'll raise the PATH train fair while cutting down on the service. It's all in the cards...

Posted on: 3/17 14:18
Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f___ the prom queen.
Print Top


Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/1/3 14:12
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2174
Offline
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Yesterday afternoon, at the 14th St station: announcement playing stating that due to signal failure all trains on the 33rd St line were experiencing delays (seriously, is this a joke!?) A train to Hoboken pulls into the station and EVERY CAR had ample seating available. Heck, some cars seem to have had at least half the seats empty. 10 minutes later, the JSQ train shows up... EVERY CAR is crowded, no seats available to anyone.

They REALLY need to adjust the JSQ and HOB schedules to alter the frequency of trains heading to each destination. It is a (cruel) joke to run half empty trains to HOB, while JSQ trains are running with crowded conditions.


The ratio of WTC to 33rd trains is becoming just as much of a problem, I think. Two WTC trains come for every 33rd St train, and typically every other WTC train is pretty empty, while the 33rd Street trains are packed at any hour before 9am. On days that I commute I tend to get to Grove between 9-9:15 so it's not bad, but if I have an early situation I have to get to, the 33rd Street line is Sardinesville.

Posted on: 3/17 14:09
Print Top


Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/1/3 14:12
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2174
Offline
Cannot make this garbage up. The Federal government should find a way to disband the Port Authority. The mismanagement of funds is an absolute crime. All these poor decisions will rear their head in the next 10 years when the path system is going to be under a tremendous amount of pressure.

Posted on: 3/17 14:06
Print Top


Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/11/10 15:38
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1495
Offline
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
So after $4bn in the hole for the new WTC PATH station, now the Port Authority is mulling another $11bn for a rebuild of the Bus Terminal?!?!

Yes it's a hole, but it's a fricking bus station! Every bus station I have ever been to is a hole - because they are BUS STATIONS!

$3bn for 1WTC, by far the most expensive skyscraper ever built; $4bn for the PATH terminal, by far the most expensive train station ever built. Now $11bn for this boondoggle - what a disgrace.

Just to put this in perspective, the budget for the cancelled ARC Tunnel into Penn Station was $8.7 billion. Yet another vanity project from the PA which does virtually nothing to add capacity to the region's infrastructure or do anything to plan for the one million new people living in NYC by 2040, and the additional millions living in the metro area.

The Port Authority is an embarrassment to the human species.


I don't understand how creating a new tunnel into NYC could possibly be cheaper than fixing up an existing building.

Posted on: 3/17 14:02
Print Top


Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2014/9/18 21:29
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 80
Offline
So after $4bn in the hole for the new WTC PATH station, now the Port Authority is mulling another $11bn for a rebuild of the Bus Terminal?!?!

Yes it's a hole, but it's a fricking bus station! Every bus station I have ever been to is a hole - because they are BUS STATIONS!

$3bn for 1WTC, by far the most expensive skyscraper ever built; $4bn for the PATH terminal, by far the most expensive train station ever built. Now $11bn for this boondoggle - what a disgrace.

Just to put this in perspective, the budget for the cancelled ARC Tunnel into Penn Station was $8.7 billion. Yet another vanity project from the PA which does virtually nothing to add capacity to the region's infrastructure or do anything to plan for the one million new people living in NYC by 2040, and the additional millions living in the metro area.

The Port Authority is an embarrassment to the human species.

Posted on: 3/17 13:55
Print Top


Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/11/10 15:38
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1495
Offline
Quote:

HamiltonParker wrote:
I hired a new Maid Service...the owners credit the fine PATH Train service here in town for launching their business. Hilarious! And the cleaning was great, btw. We'll probably be reading more of these stories soon.

http://www.maidinjc.com/about/


Why? The "fine PATH Train service here in town" has been operating for decades.

Posted on: 3/13 21:01
Print Top


Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/2/5 13:48
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 169
Offline
I hired a new Maid Service...the owners credit the fine PATH Train service here in town for launching their business. Hilarious! And the cleaning was great, btw. We'll probably be reading more of these stories soon.

http://www.maidinjc.com/about/

Posted on: 3/13 20:05
Print Top


Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/1/3 14:12
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2174
Offline
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
I don't know where this fits in to the narrative (apropos of the recent, unprovoked beat down), and perhaps it may not sit well with folks concerned about the lack of service improvements, but there is an interesting essay in NY Magazine about the "glorious boondoggle" of the new WTC transportation hub http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/ ... rade-center-path-hub.html

Will having a space that uplifts one's soul make up for all the hassles (and hazards) of taking PATH? I for one am willing to let myself revel in it.


That article is titled "The Folly" of this WTC station.

It quotes an architect who says "I will make wings for you, and this subway station will cost $4 billion’ … Meanwhile, the kids don’t have erasers on their pencils.”

No, this exorbitant monstrosity does not make up for the ever worsening overcrowding on trains, will not help us once the 25,000+ apartments are completed and more flood onto the PATH, nor does it alleviate the senseless detour into Hoboken (where no one ever gets off) every single night and all weekend.


A massive slap in the face that this ridiculously expensive terminal was built, when every day there are service issues/delays, the JSQ trains are beyond crowded, and the train still detours through Hoboken on the weekend. It would be a massive slap in the face even if this terminal WAS needed. But it is absolutely unnecessary, and tremendously expensive. Such a waste. I really wish the Port Authority would go away.

Posted on: 3/13 16:06
Print Top


Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/7/9 7:16
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1509
Offline
To me the station looks like the back of some giant sleeping monster. I expect it at any moment to rise, raising its equally monstrous head from the earth, and lumber its way to midtown to do battle with Godzilla. Or the monster from 'Cloverfield'.


It would be nice to go back into time and convince the power that be a project like extending the PATH up 2nd Ave.. or something else practical (transport wise) would have been a much better decision. Instead just build a utilitarian but practical station at WTC.





Posted on: 3/13 15:47
Print Top


Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/11/10 15:38
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1495
Offline
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
I don't know where this fits in to the narrative (apropos of the recent, unprovoked beat down), and perhaps it may not sit well with folks concerned about the lack of service improvements, but there is an interesting essay in NY Magazine about the "glorious boondoggle" of the new WTC transportation hub http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/ ... rade-center-path-hub.html

Will having a space that uplifts one's soul make up for all the hassles (and hazards) of taking PATH? I for one am willing to let myself revel in it.


That article is titled "The Folly" of this WTC station.

It quotes an architect who says "I will make wings for you, and this subway station will cost $4 billion’ … Meanwhile, the kids don’t have erasers on their pencils.”

No, this exorbitant monstrosity does not make up for the ever worsening overcrowding on trains, will not help us once the 25,000+ apartments are completed and more flood onto the PATH, nor does it alleviate the senseless detour into Hoboken (where no one ever gets off) every single night and all weekend.

Posted on: 3/13 15:33
Print Top




« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 44 »




[Advanced Search]





Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2015