Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
26 user(s) are online (13 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 25

Bread, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 34 »

Re: PATH currently suspended 12/20 8:45 AM
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCorNYC wrote:
So many For Rent signs going up. People are fed up with PATH. Brooklyn is getting Ex-Jersey City moving there. My friends so relieved they don't have to deal with PATH!

How awful it is when PATH is the reason for so many people leaving and not the neighborhood. SMDH!!!

where are all these for rent signs? I have a friend looking for a place.

Posted on: 12/22 13:36
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Unless there becomes a viable option to crossing the Hudson, other than the $6 one-way ferry ride, the Port Authority will continue to have it's stranglehold on the public. The PA will bring this city to it's knees. If you lived in Brooklyn, you would at least have the option of freely riding your bike over a bridge.

Posted on: 12/22 12:40
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I have former NY neighbors who just moved to JC over the summer. They can't wait to move back to NY after their lease is up.

They LOATHE the PATH especially on weekends.

There have been friends who left Jersey City for NY in the past because they hate the PATH service. Constantly suspending or delays. PATH is what's driving people to leave Jersey City in droves.

So many For Rent signs going up. People are fed up with PATH. Brooklyn is getting Ex-Jersey City moving there. My friends so relieved they don't have to deal with PATH!

How awful it is when PATH is the reason for so many people leaving and not the neighborhood. SMDH!!!

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
The ultimate kicker is that these frequent fare increases are a direct result of the need to fund the WTC construction.

The Port Authority needs to either commit to the commercial real estate business or commit to the transportation business. It cannot properly serve the public if it is directly involved in both.

Mayor Fulop has said that his goal is to continue to make Jersey City a better alternative to the outer boroughs. Going to be a bit of a hard sell when JC's subway system costs riders more than MTA subway, with less frequent service after 7 pm, and can only take you to 6 stations in all of Manhattan.

I believe the lawsuit against the Port Authority that Fulop is spearheading includes Path service issues as a major factor. I'd like to see Steve come out very publicly to voice his opinion on this and to publicly shame the Port Authority. I'd also like to see Christie or Cuomo speak out on this in some way. The Port Authority needs to hand over the Path.

Posted on: 12/21 15:18
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
It's been pissing me off PATH suspensions and delays have been more frequent than not! They just increased the fare and we get this sheeeeeeeety service.

I had to use the ferry just to make it on time for work to NYC! Ferry ain't cheap with this economy slump and stagnant salary, folks!

Greedy @zz Executives pocketing the money while commuters suffers!

Posted on: 12/21 15:12
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
The ultimate kicker is that these frequent fare increases are a direct result of the need to fund the WTC construction.

The Port Authority needs to either commit to the commercial real estate business or commit to the transportation business. It cannot properly serve the public if it is directly involved in both.

Mayor Fulop has said that his goal is to continue to make Jersey City a better alternative to the outer boroughs. Going to be a bit of a hard sell when JC's subway system costs riders more than MTA subway, with less frequent service after 7 pm, and can only take you to 6 stations in all of Manhattan.

I believe the lawsuit against the Port Authority that Fulop is spearheading includes Path service issues as a major factor. I'd like to see Steve come out very publicly to voice his opinion on this and to publicly shame the Port Authority. I'd also like to see Christie or Cuomo speak out on this in some way. The Port Authority needs to hand over the Path.

Posted on: 12/21 12:35
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
+100

There is a serious lack of accountability at PATH regarding all of the system outages and signal issues.

Also, haven't seen any updates re: Grove St Station elevator or ramp accessibility since 2011, when a Fed judge ordered PATH to bring the station into compliance with the Americans w Disabilities Act...

Would be nice to see some action or loud inquiries from public officials. This is a huge quality of life issue for JC residents and its only going to get worse w all of the new developments going up.

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
If the Path fare passes the MTA subway fare in cost, we have a serious problem and the Port Authority should be publicly shamed.

Posted on: 12/21 9:53
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
If the Path fare passes the MTA subway fare in cost, we have a serious problem and the Port Authority should be publicly shamed.

September 2014. It's already scheduled.

$1.75 to $2.75 in 4 years.

Posted on: 12/21 7:22
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Happens every morning at Grove. 33rd pulls out and you can see the lights from WTC approaching and vice versa. Trains departing one right after another.

This....actually does not happen.

I dunno about every morning, but I have often seen the lights of the next train those couple of blocks behind the departing one during rush hour. In fact, the last time I noticed it was this past Thursday - WTC train departed, 33rd right behind it

Agree - I'm usually on the platform at Grove at about 8:30 and it's rare that I don't see the lights of the next train.

Posted on: 12/21 5:42
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 12/21 0:19
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Never really have too much of a problem when this happens. Trick is to download the NY waterways ferry app, make sure you always have a couple available tickets pre-purchased on there. This way you don't have to wait on the ridiculous ticket line for people who don't purchase through the app and you don't have to fight a crashing app when 80,000 more people are on there during a PATH suspension.
Grove PATH was swamped just took a 10 min walk to Paulus Hook and hoped on the ferry after waiting 5 minutes. Was only 15 minutes late to work. No problem, did it for 3 months after sandy.

Posted on: 12/20 21:49
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Quote:

Happens every morning at Grove. 33rd pulls out and you can see the lights from WTC approaching and vice versa. Trains departing one right after another.

I dunno about every morning, but I have often seen the lights of the next train those couple of blocks behind the departing one during rush hour. In fact, the last time I noticed it was this past Thursday - WTC train departed, 33rd right behind it

Posted on: 12/20 20:55
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NewportNJ wrote:
more trains = more costs = more $ you have to pay

Sad to see some people do not pass their thoughts through their brains before it comes out of their mouths.

As opposed to "same trains = more costs = more $ we have to pay"

Have you not noticed the increase in PATH fare in the last three years? And the planned fare hike to $2.75 (!!!!!!!!) in September?

Posted on: 12/20 20:30
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PEC0905 wrote:
Quote:

Toonces wrote:
For what it's worth, whatever signal system the MTA uses allows them to run trains MUCH closer together than the PATH ever has, as far as I know. Just about every morning, I catch the A or C at Chambers, and very often if you just missed the closing doors and the train is pulling out of the station, you can look down the track and see the next train approaching.

Posted on: 12/20 14:57
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NewportNJ wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
if it means a higher volume of trains, then add my voice to the rant.

Sad to see some people do not pass their thoughts through their brains before it comes out of their mouths.

Yea, like how we're paying more for trains running every 35 minutes and constant outages... that's paying more for getting more, right?

Posted on: 12/20 14:52
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:

Posted on: 12/20 14:49
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Toonces wrote:
For what it's worth, whatever signal system the MTA uses allows them to run trains MUCH closer together than the PATH ever has, as far as I know. Just about every morning, I catch the A or C at Chambers, and very often if you just missed the closing doors and the train is pulling out of the station, you can look down the track and see the next train approaching.

The PATH is far from great but they do manage to run very frequent trains during rush hour considering the limited # of tracks and terminals. It would be nice if that was the case on weekends as well but unfortunately its not yet.

By the way, the C train is horrendous. Constantly delayed and the trains are 50 years old, falling apart and filled with bums. It manages to come only every 10 min or so even during rush hour so I'm not sure how you could look at it in a positive light.

Posted on: 12/20 14:11
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Next stop 9th street...

Resized Image

Hey user1111 who are the two in your avatar photo ? Are they a famous comedy team from europe ?

Posted on: 12/20 14:03
Get on your bikes and ride !
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Purgatory
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
So will the signal system upgrade increase the speed at which the trains travel under the river? Currently it is a crawling speed between Newport and Christopher. What takes 7-8 minutes should take about 3.

So you are ranting about a 4-5 minute difference ??

I take it you don't commute...

Well I do, and I'm joining the rant! 4-5 minutes each way adds up to nearly an hour each week. And, for those of us who are too far to walk to the PATH, that 4 -5 minutes results in missed connections - that in addition to delays in the bus service. Pretty soon - as is the case nearly every day for me - you are looking at a 10 to 15 minute difference each way.

Posted on: 12/20 13:54
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 12/20 13:22
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

A Port Authority employee working in the car/equipment division of PATH said he doesn't give much credence to the Port Authority's excuse that the delays resulted from a signal failure.

"It could be a number of things," said the man, who asked not to be identified discussing the bi-state agency. "Unless someone died or someone gets shot, they chalk it up to signal problems."

JJ

The one time I actually saw "signal problems" occur where I bought that excuse was on the Newark train. They were not getting signal from another train that needed to pass before they could continue full speed ahead. The train I was on would move a short distance slowly, then suddenly stop, then move again, than stop. I guess they were coordinating with the other train via radio or something. Other times, they will hold the train between stations and announce "we are waiting for a signal from other trains."

Posted on: 12/20 13:15
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Greenville/Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Next stop 9th street...

Resized Image

Posted on: 12/20 13:00
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yojimbo wrote:
Quote:

zimbu1234 wrote:
I often hear people say the PATH is unreliable but I disagree. I would imagine it isn't any less reliable than the MTA Subway system. I don't take the MTA subway often so if has gotten better in the past few years I stand corrected. I think we think its less reliable because there are only three ways to get into Manhattan but unless you are in Manhattan, many of the other borrows only have a few ways to get in also.

Yes this morning sucked [badly] but really its generally pretty reliable during rush hour. Weekends and late nights are a different story but that is the same with any major subway system.

The MTA has improved reliability a lot in the last 5-10 years. Sadly, Path has lagged behind, mainly because of its signal system that dates back to the 60s. And the much needed upgrades were pushed back even further due to Sandy, so my guess is this will only get worse in the near future.

Here’s an article on the original upgrade plans, SIX years ago:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/18/nyregion/18path.html?_r=0

the MTA has how many lines? how many subway stops? the PATH has 4 lines (2 on weekend) and like a dozen stops. it's simply not a fair comparison.

Posted on: 12/20 12:58
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
I don't think he's ranting. I think it's a reasonable observation and I too, would prefer a shorter travel time.

Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
So will the signal system upgrade increase the speed at which the trains travel under the river? Currently it is a crawling speed between Newport and Christopher. What takes 7-8 minutes should take about 3.

Posted on: 12/20 12:56
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think he's ranting. I think it's a reasonable observation and I too, would prefer a shorter travel time.

Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 12/20 12:53
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 12/20 12:34
Get on your bikes and ride !
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 12/20 11:41
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

zimbu1234 wrote:
I often hear people say the PATH is unreliable but I disagree. I would imagine it isn't any less reliable than the MTA Subway system. I don't take the MTA subway often so if has gotten better in the past few years I stand corrected. I think we think its less reliable because there are only three ways to get into Manhattan but unless you are in Manhattan, many of the other borrows only have a few ways to get in also.

Yes this morning sucked [badly] but really its generally pretty reliable during rush hour. Weekends and late nights are a different story but that is the same with any major subway system.

The MTA has improved reliability a lot in the last 5-10 years. Sadly, Path has lagged behind, mainly because of its signal system that dates back to the 60s. And the much needed upgrades were pushed back even further due to Sandy, so my guess is this will only get worse in the near future.

Here’s an article on the original upgrade plans, SIX years ago:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/18/nyregion/18path.html?_r=0

Posted on: 12/20 11:25
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Greenville/Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

A Port Authority employee working in the car/equipment division of PATH said he doesn't give much credence to the Port Authority's excuse that the delays resulted from a signal failure.

"It could be a number of things," said the man, who asked not to be identified discussing the bi-state agency. "Unless someone died or someone gets shot, they chalk it up to signal problems."

JJ

Posted on: 12/20 11:22
Print Top

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 12/20 11:09
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Chris_NJ wrote:
I have noticed these "signal problems" more and more often in the past year or so. I apologize if this has been discussed here before but does anyone know what the problem has been and if there is some type of long term solution to remedy this?

Ancient infrastructure, and Sandy f'd it up even more. The signal system is I believe in the process of being updated, but who knows how long that's going to take (they are saying 2018 but will probably be longer), and who knows how much good it's actually going to do.

The Path has gotten very frustrating. It used to be really reliable.

Posted on: 12/20 10:47
Print Top

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 34 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2014