Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
28 user(s) are online (15 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 28

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 32 »

Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Quote:

sp2xs wrote:
Have the rush hours between JSQ/33 always been this crowded? Have steps ever been taken to alleviate the cramped commute?

Today was not a normal day. At about 9:30 there was a medical emergency on a 33rd street train just after it left Grove Street. Only WTC trains were then sent through. I gave up after 20+ minutes of waiting, got a coffee, came down 30 minutes later and there were still crowds.

Tomorrow will be better.

And around 7:30 am this morning, due to police activity, the JSQ-33rd and HOB-33rd line were operating on 30 minutes delays. I jumped on the WTC line instead. It wasn't overly crowded.

Posted on: 12/2 12:19
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sp2xs wrote:
Have the rush hours between JSQ/33 always been this crowded? Have steps ever been taken to alleviate the cramped commute?

Today was not a normal day. At about 9:30 there was a medical emergency on a 33rd street train just after it left Grove Street. Only WTC trains were then sent through. I gave up after 20+ minutes of waiting, got a coffee, came down 30 minutes later and there were still crowds.

Tomorrow will be better.

Posted on: 12/2 11:51
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sp2xs wrote:

As someone who has been here 25 years I can tell you that the commute has gotten much worse. It was NEVER a "grab a seat and make yourself comfortable" scenario but you could actually get on a train. Now the trains are woefully overcrowded and often to capacity. The solution would be more trains but unfortunately the PATH system is not designed to handle increased trains. If the route were a circle it would be a piece of cake. Unfortunately every train that goes in must be turned around and come out on a single track. The only measures that might help a tiny bit would be to lengthen trains and station platforms. Unfortunately that will cost billions and take years to achieve. Meanwhile developers are packing more and more residents into high-rises. In some people's feeble minds, because we are a "city", we should just grow unchecked until living becomes intolerable, commuting is impossible and poop geysers explode from the streets. I assume that many of these same folks work either in property development or in real estate.

Posted on: 12/2 11:29
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I believe the ridiculously low level of service coupled with increased fares is a line item on the lawsuit that Fulop is spearheading.

If you think about it, it's ridiculous that the Path is now the same price as the MTA but with much less frequent service, and the system is a mere fraction of the size of the MTA.

The Port Authority should be forced to get out of the public transportation business.

Posted on: 12/2 11:09
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Yup, back to business as usual this weekend - trains every 35 minutes on 33rd-JSQ, ridiculously crammed at 7 pm on a Sunday. Can anyone else hear the Port Authority leadership team chortling at the poor suckers who ride their trains?

Posted on: 12/2 11:03
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sp2xs wrote:

Yes and No.
Welcome to DT.

Posted on: 12/2 10:32
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 12/2 10:30
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

maybeMoving wrote:
Saturday night I took the PATH home from 9th St around 1:45 AM. The trains were running every 10 minutes. I was absolutely shocked! Is this some sort of new schedule or was this just due to the construction that closed down the WTC line all weekend?

I can't imagine that the Port Authority would enact a change that actually benefits their passengers. Something like that would go against all of their operating tenets. So is this just a fluke and we'll be back to the normal packed trains once WTC is open on weekends again?

I know it's been AMAZING! So sad to see this disappear after this weekend. :(

Posted on: 2013/11/25 14:28
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Saturday night I took the PATH home from 9th St around 1:45 AM. The trains were running every 10 minutes. I was absolutely shocked! Is this some sort of new schedule or was this just due to the construction that closed down the WTC line all weekend?

I can't imagine that the Port Authority would enact a change that actually benefits their passengers. Something like that would go against all of their operating tenets. So is this just a fluke and we'll be back to the normal packed trains once WTC is open on weekends again?

Posted on: 2013/11/25 14:20
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:

Just write up whatever questions/complaints you have for them on this thread here. I am going to present them with any feedback......and also let them know about this forum........so if they want they can come and see for themselves.

Have you had any meetings yet? Any news or updates?

Posted on: 2013/11/24 20:27
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Used PATH train Saturday to and from Christopher Street and it was frequent, not painfully slow as usual on the weekend (thanks to the WTC closures it actually was excellent service from JSQ to 33rd). It wasn't overcrowded. I wish it worked this well every weekend - even the stop in Hoboken wasn't painful because we weren't squished like sardines.

Posted on: 2013/11/10 7:38
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Port Authority just announced there will be no service to WTC or Exchange Place for the next three weekends... more Sandy damage to fix.

Posted on: 2013/11/5 17:55
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Sunday, 11/3 from 1am - 3am (standard time), the Newport Station will be closed for a Police Training Exercise. PATH trains will not stop at Nwp during this time.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 15:55
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
How about informing riders what time the next train to each destination is expected, outside the turnstiles. Even better if they're at the entrance of the station..

+1. Or better yet, make a digital sign listing the next *several* trains and their expected departure time. Like the NJ Transit station at Penn.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 22:21
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Out of curiosity, what would everyone do if the industrious PATH personnel were to one day emulate the BART system-wide strike that was just recently resolved in San Fran? Oh, wait... This scenario already played out last year during Sandy. My bad.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 20:57
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
They actually already have this sign at the WTC, though I don't recall seeing them having used it since the storm. Also, with all the construction on the mezzanine level, it isn't in a very visually advantageous location.

Quote:

heights wrote:
I would like a way to see when the next weekday train is leaving out of the WTC station. Especially if you have to go to Exchange Place, either train will stop there whether it is going to Hoboken or Newark.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 11:24
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I would like a way to see when the next weekday train is leaving out of the WTC station. Especially if you have to go to Exchange Place, either train will stop there whether it is going to Hoboken or Newark.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 10:34
Get on your bikes and ride !
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:

Just write up whatever questions/complaints you have for them on this thread here. I am going to present them with any feedback......and also let them know about this forum........so if they want they can come and see for themselves.

1. Coordinate late night trains to Hoboken with NJT busses leaving from Hoboken to the Heights, North Hoboken, etc.

2. Relax policy on bringing bikes on to rush hour trains, at least on the less crowded Hoboken to WTC line, to encourage bike commuting to/from lower Manhattan

3. Install train departure monitors OUTSIDE of paid zone/platforms, so if we just miss a train we can get a cup of coffee

Posted on: 2013/10/24 9:57
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:

I signed up for their Patron Advisory Committee(basically a way for commuters to get a better understanding of how the PA works). Tomorrow we have another session.

I would be happy to pass along any questions/complaints you guys have for them.

Asif, I am assuming you had the session today. Were you able to present any feedback? Was anything taken seriously?

Posted on: 2013/10/23 22:39
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Registered Users
PATH is F**ked. It's going to take years and Billions of $$$ to make it decent. Meanwhile lets keep cramming people into new towers in DTJC and now near JSQ.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 10:37
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Exchange Place/JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
1. Make all their clocks in sync including the ones on the monitors.

2. Do not leave the station early.

If the train is scheduled to arrive at 9:46 AM, do not leave that station at 9:45 AM. Today at Exchange Place, the 9:46 AM Hoboken train left the station at 9:45 AM, even while the monitor is annoucing that the Hoboken train is schedule to arrive at 9:46 AM. I checked my two cellphones, and they both said 9:45 AM.

When the train arrives and leaves early on the weekend, we have to wait 21 minutes for the next train.

3. Follow the printed schedule or announced schedule.

On the weekends, sometimes the trains are a few minutes early, and sometime they are few minutes late. It is like nobody cares about the schedule.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 10:36
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
How about informing riders what time the next train to each destination is expected, outside the turnstiles. Even better if they're at the entrance of the station.

If the next train is in 40 minutes, it would be nice to have to know before I go through the turnstile. Then I can decide if I rather walk or take a cab.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 9:28
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
- Allow Icelandair to wrap as many car interiors as they wish, and do not charge them any advertising fees.

- Install politically incorrect posters on board cars to lampoon those who don’t have the awareness and class to offer their seat to passengers who are handicapped, elderly, or pregnant. Shame the crap out of them.

- Intelligently program the trains’ climate control systems. Okay, maybe the car temperature is reaching the mid-seventies, but it’s January and only 10 degrees outside. Passengers don’t need to be blasted with cold air.

- And yes, of course, service that is proportional the demand. Do away with the timetable if necessary and continuously monitor the turnstiles in order to establish trends and predict usage. It would still allow PATH to reduce service and economize when appropriate by taking advantage of diversity.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 9:04
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
They should be able to provide much more advanced notice of planned weekend track maintenance (the 20 minute schedule messages). Given this work is planned out, they should be able to give us much more advanced notice. And make this notice much more apparent via signage, displays, tweets, or a mobile friendly web page that gets updated.

This seems like a quick and easy win.

Quote:

Asif wrote:

Posted on: 2013/10/23 8:31
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Along with improvements in service esp Sundays and reverting back to just a JSQ to 33rd service on weekends (no passing through Hoboken). Some quality-of-life improvements:

A. Better ventilation/fan systems. Insufferably hot in summer months.
B. Enforce no eating/drinking or place rubbish bins inside station...too much litter
C. A reader board outside train station announcing next train so we don't have to rush downstairs- see A
D. Wifi
E. No pan handlers
F. Signage so people know which stairs go down and which go up
G. Elevator
H. More trivia/ word games on pathvision...really enjoy it
I. Purell dispensers at train exits

Posted on: 2013/10/23 8:27
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:

1) Apologize to all riders
2) Quit your jobs and never work in transportation again
3) Once you have found replacements, tell them to

a) stop funding the freedom tower
b) get rid of the tvs in stations which display "news" and have those displays just show when the next train is coming - in flashing red letters like in mta stations
c) concentrate only on improvements which improve SERVICE, not aesthetics ie this http://www.panynj.gov/path/harrisonredevelopment.html

d) can we aim to be just a tad more transparent?

Posted on: 2013/10/23 1:03
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Agree w JCMan8.

Would add:
1) Inform riders what time the next train to each destination is expected. At a location like Grove St, one has to wait for this info to scroll slowly across the bottom bar of the tv screens, when it should show continuously for all destinations. At a location like Christopher St, there are electronic screens that could share this info but don't; they just tell you that trains to HOB, JSQ and 33rd run there (as if you didn't know).

2) Develop realistic, immediately actionable contingency plans for when Path service is cut off, including/especially during rush hour, such as free ferry, bus and shuttle access

3) Stop the excuses and legal action and build the mandated elevator at Grove St station already!!!

Posted on: 2013/10/22 22:51
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:

1. Increased Sunday service. Increased might not be the right word, considering the Port Authority recently decreased Sunday service to once every 20 min on all lines.

But once every 20 min is intolerable. The trains are PACKED, esp the JSQ to 33rd line. Once every 10 or 15 min is the minimum.

2. Some kind of accountability for the endless delays, which alternate between "track conditions" and "signal problems."

3. Increased weekend night service. Maybe from once every 35 min to once every 20 min.

Posted on: 2013/10/22 21:44
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/10/22 21:09
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:

I signed up for their Patron Advisory Committee(basically a way for commuters to get a better understanding of how the PA works). Tomorrow we have another session.

I would be happy to pass along any questions/complaints you guys have for them.

Good for you! How does that work? I assume they (and you) want to address issues beyond the usual complaints. Can we PM you? Is there an on-line forum?

Posted on: 2013/10/22 21:02
Print Top

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 32 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2014