Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
28 user(s) are online (23 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 2
Guests: 26

asny10011, triscuit12, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 41 »

Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
don't they have cctv cameras at the entrance and exits to the station. if not, they should.

Posted on: 3/3 19:21
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Exchange Place/JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
MAN STABBED ON PATH TRAIN

WABC
7:05PM
A man was stabbed on a PATH train in Chelsea Tuesday evening.

It happened as the train was moving between 33rd and 23rd streets southbound just before 6 p.m.

The 38-year-old victim was stabbed in the chest taken to Bellevue Hospital in an unknown condition.

Suspect fled once the PATH train stopped at the 23rd Street Station.

The suspect is described as having a goatee and wearing a tan coat, dark pants and a black knit hat.

http://7online.com/news/man-stabbed-on-path-train/542733/

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/03/0 ... rain-during-evening-rush/

---------------------------

What a commute!

3/3/2015 6:17:44 PM
New Jersey Transit will cross honor PATH passengers until 6:30PM.

3/3/2015 5:49:42 PM
Due to a disabled train near Grove Street all lines are operating with delays with the exception of HOB-33.

3/3/2015 5:45:52 PM
New Jersey Transit is cross honoring PATH passengers.

3/3/2015 5:14:59 PM
Due to a car equipment problem, service on the HOB-33 line is operating with delays.

3/3/2015 5:14:23 PM
Due to a car equipment problem, service on the JSQ-33 line is operating with delays.

3/3/2015 5:12:25 PM
Due to a car equipment problem, service on the HOB-WTC line is operating with delays.

3/3/2015 4:34:23 PM
Due to a car equipment problem, service on the NWK-WTC line is operating with delays.

Posted on: 3/3 19:11
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
So you guys see what I'm saying. It's a small subway line that crosses a river, why do we need a massive, extraordinarily expensive, nice looking terminal?

In all honesty, would any of us have any problem with them keeping the "temporary" WTC terminal and spending the $4 Billion (Billion!!) dollars on:

- Increased frequency of trains so we are not smashed into JSQ-bound trains at 7:30 pm while the Hoboken trains provide seats for everyone

- Improved infrastructure and signal system so that trains can achieve better than a 2 mph crawl

- Extended platforms on all stations

Seriously, aside from Fulop, who is holding the Port Authority accountable for ANY (literally any) decisions they are making? I mean these are big, huge, expensive decisions.

The WTC terminal and also the Harrison station, which I believe is slated for expensive improvements. I am one of the most aesthetically oriented people you will meet, but even I say who the heck cares about aesthetics at this point, just improve the service! Does anybody at the Port Authority understand the increase in Path ridership that is on the way in the next 10 years?

Hey, the construction companies/developers gotta get paiiiiiiiid, man.

Posted on: 3/3 17:34
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
That's why I'm wondering ... what problem does this $4 Billion terminal solve?

You are forgetting our collective minds post 9/11.

Here is a nice overview from awhile ago,
http://observer.com/2013/05/pathfail/

I imagine a lot of this is also because of the sunk cost fallacy.

Fascinating article. The two phrases in there "spiritual dimension" and "metaphysical element" probably answer Tommy's question about why the extravagant expense. There has to be something for the tourists from Nebraska to coo at when they come to the WTC and get that feeling of patriotic pride stirring.

As for the NY & NJ commuters who work at or pass through the site every day and whose train fares and tunnel tolls actually fund the reconstruction of the entire site, giving them two extra cars on each PATH train or improved signaling to allow trains to run closer together, that ain't gonna cut it if all the PA cares about is an inspiring structure that will form a lump in the throats of middle Americans that will visit the WTC once in their lives and then go home and tell their friends what a great job the master planners have done.
perfectly well put. I don't think any of us in this area actually care at all for this stupid building, and everyone I know wishes they had spent that money on something more useful. The Calatrava as rust all over it now too - not sure if that's going to be a constant problem for cleaning or just a construction thing.

Posted on: 3/3 16:37
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
On the issue of signalling, the NWK-WTC line has had this new and improved signalling system installed during the past year as part of the Sandy renovations, and JSQ-HOB-33RD is going to be next sometime soon, but does anyone know how closely trains can run behind each other?

One major advantage the London Underground has over the NYC Subway is that during rush hour in Zone 1 (center of the tube network) trains follow on from one another just a minute apart - and often times the next train arrives at the platform less than 60 seconds after the previous one has departed. I'm surprised that NYC has not been able to replicate the same frequency of service.

When things are running smoothly at Grove Street in the morning rush, WTC and 33RD trains generally alternate running about 60-90 seconds apart, which is pretty good going IMO - on the rare days when there are no screw ups.

Does anyone have any information on the increase in service frequency we can expect once all three PATH lines are upgraded?

Posted on: 3/3 14:03
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Fascinating article. The two phrases in there "spiritual dimension" and "metaphysical element" probably answer Tommy's question about why the extravagant expense. There has to be something for the tourists from Nebraska to coo at when they come to the WTC and get that feeling of patriotic pride stirring.

As for the NY & NJ commuters who work at or pass through the site every day and whose train fares and tunnel tolls actually fund the reconstruction of the entire site, giving them two extra cars on each PATH train or improved signaling to allow trains to run closer together, that ain't gonna cut it if all the PA cares about is an inspiring structure that will form a lump in the throats of middle Americans that will visit the WTC once in their lives and then go home and tell their friends what a great job the master planners have done.

Posted on: 3/3 13:42
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 3/3 13:01
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
So you guys see what I'm saying. It's a small subway line that crosses a river, why do we need a massive, extraordinarily expensive, nice looking terminal?

In all honesty, would any of us have any problem with them keeping the "temporary" WTC terminal and spending the $4 Billion (Billion!!) dollars on:

- Increased frequency of trains so we are not smashed into JSQ-bound trains at 7:30 pm while the Hoboken trains provide seats for everyone

- Improved infrastructure and signal system so that trains can achieve better than a 2 mph crawl

- Extended platforms on all stations

Seriously, aside from Fulop, who is holding the Port Authority accountable for ANY (literally any) decisions they are making? I mean these are big, huge, expensive decisions.

The WTC terminal and also the Harrison station, which I believe is slated for expensive improvements. I am one of the most aesthetically oriented people you will meet, but even I say who the heck cares about aesthetics at this point, just improve the service! Does anybody at the Port Authority understand the increase in Path ridership that is on the way in the next 10 years?

Posted on: 3/3 12:50
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
A blurb on the far from complete WTC hub: http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/03 ... tc_transportation_hub.php

Is anybody actually excited about this? Here's my question - what problem does this hub solve? Why was there a need to build this lavish structure? Taking a step back ... why couldn't the Path terminate at the newly built Fulton Center, a block away?? Would have saved multiple Billions of dollars, and made transferring to the MTA system very easy.

Seriously, why is this hub even being built?

I won't even try to defend the outrageous cost of the new WTC Hub, but as to why the tracks have not been extended to the Fulton Center, a couple of issues spring to mind:

Any extension from the current track location would have to pass over or under the 1 train and the N,R train, then new tunnels and a station would have to be dug under the existing structures to the east of Church Street and west of Broadway - Century 21, Millennium Hotel, etc. And since the PATH tracks are way deeper than the 4,5 trains, the station would have had to be excavated underneath the busiest subway line in the country as trains continued to rumble overhead. Also, the PA does not own that land, so it would have to buy it/lease it from the MTA. For the sake of a 5 minute walk, I don't think its worth it.

If they were going to spend $4 billion on anything, they should have hooked the PATH up to the 6 train at Brooklyn Bridge for a one seat ride from Newark to the Bronx, as explained in detail here. Yes there would have been engineering challenges to overcome, but it would have only needed 3,000 feet of tunneling to make the connection between the two.

But the PATH train is hemorrhaging money and the MTA is already chronically underfunded in maintaining its aging system, so no one wanted it to happen.

Instead the PA spent $4 billion on a shopping mall with a train station underneath it. Personally though, I think the guy running the Hudson News stand at WTC seems to be adequately meeting the retail needs of most commuters.

Thanks, this is good info. And yes, it boggles my mind that they spent $4billion on a train station used for people to go back and forth from New Jersey. (Required disclaimer: Relax, everyone, I've lived in NJ all my life. I love NJ and Jersey City. But $4 billion to go there??)

Posted on: 3/3 10:58
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
A blurb on the far from complete WTC hub: http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/03 ... tc_transportation_hub.php

Is anybody actually excited about this? Here's my question - what problem does this hub solve? Why was there a need to build this lavish structure? Taking a step back ... why couldn't the Path terminate at the newly built Fulton Center, a block away?? Would have saved multiple Billions of dollars, and made transferring to the MTA system very easy.

I won't even try to defend the outrageous cost of the new WTC Hub, but as to why the tracks have not been extended to the Fulton Center, a couple of issues spring to mind:

Any extension from the current track location would have to pass over or under the 1 train and the N,R train, then new tunnels and a station would have to be dug under the existing structures to the east of Church Street and west of Broadway - Century 21, Millennium Hotel, etc. And since the PATH tracks are way deeper than the 4,5 trains, the station would have had to be excavated underneath the busiest subway line in the country as trains continued to rumble overhead. Also, the PA does not own that land, so it would have to buy it/lease it from the MTA. For the sake of a 5 minute walk, I don't think its worth it.

If they were going to spend $4 billion on anything, they should have hooked the PATH up to the 6 train at Brooklyn Bridge for a one seat ride from Newark to the Bronx, as explained in detail here. Yes there would have been engineering challenges to overcome, but it would have only needed 3,000 feet of tunneling to make the connection between the two.

But the PATH train is hemorrhaging money and the MTA is already chronically underfunded in maintaining its aging system, so no one wanted it to happen.

Instead the PA spent $4 billion on a shopping mall with a train station underneath it. Personally though, I think the guy running the Hudson News stand at WTC seems to be adequately meeting the retail needs of most commuters.

Posted on: 3/2 16:07
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah but is an underpass from one expensive transit center to another expensive transit center greater in value than having PATH terminate directly at the Fulton Center?

In other words, what functionality does this costly Path terminal offer? Aside from raising the ego of the architect?

So so so wasteful. And we, the customers/riders, ultimately lose. Imagine $4 Billion invested in increased frequency of trains, signal repairs, platform extensions, and infrastructure improvements?

Posted on: 3/2 15:54
Print Top

Hide User information
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
There will be an underpass. See here:
http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=351016

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 3/2 15:16
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 3/2 14:47
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
What the PATH means when they say "subject to a 15 minute delay" is that you can expect to arrive at the end of the line about 15 minutes later than you normally would.
I've asked.

Posted on: 2/26 13:44
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ActionDan wrote:
OK so here's my question ... when the PATH announces a signal problem or whatever, they say the train is running with "15 minute delays."

What exactly does this mean? If the trains are scheduled to run in six-minute increments, if all trains are delayed 15 minutes are they still at six-minute increments?

Or does it mean that the increments become 15 minutes?

Or does it mean the trains are just mad slow

It generally means they're making up a number to let you know things are only slightly f'd up and you'll get there a bit late.

30 min = majorly f'd up and you're not getting home.

Posted on: 2/26 9:57
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
OK so here's my question ... when the PATH announces a signal problem or whatever, they say the train is running with "15 minute delays."

What exactly does this mean? If the trains are scheduled to run in six-minute increments, if all trains are delayed 15 minutes are they still at six-minute increments?

Or does it mean that the increments become 15 minutes?

Or does it mean the trains are just mad slow

Posted on: 2/26 9:19
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Due to a signal failure train service between NWK-WTC is operating with delays. 11pm on a Wednesday night. What exactly did they fix on this line for a year?

Posted on: 2/25 23:08
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Two things: the WTC and EXP stops were closed down for signals along THOSE two lines, not where the Hackensack bridge runs, which is before Newark.

Secondly, there's another stairwell on the track 1 (Hoboken) platform in WTC at the very front end of the platform.

PS yes, it's an abysmally poorly designed station. How can you build a brand new station with no benches? And no AC, ever been down there in the summer? Hooooly is it warm down there.

Posted on: 2/24 22:37
Print Top

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
2. My train pulled into the track where the Hoboken trains normally pull into (the platform that's already finished with the white marble). I don't know if this is the normal circumstance, or if it's just not complete yet, but there was only ONE, very small staircase to get up the next level from the platform. It took forever for the hundreds of people to get up (the staircase is only about 2 people wide). Does anybody know if this is a permanent situation? It was really terrible, and considering the amount of money that was spent on this remodel, completely unacceptable.

I agree it is unacceptable. It is barely 2 people wide. On Sunday, I was trying to go down and people were coming up, and it was terrible.

I thought they needed more stairs and escalators. And it was hot in the summer.

It's beyond me that that entire platform hasn't been deemed a fire hazard. It's so difficult to get out

Posted on: 2/24 20:27
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Exchange Place/JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
2. My train pulled into the track where the Hoboken trains normally pull into (the platform that's already finished with the white marble). I don't know if this is the normal circumstance, or if it's just not complete yet, but there was only ONE, very small staircase to get up the next level from the platform. It took forever for the hundreds of people to get up (the staircase is only about 2 people wide). Does anybody know if this is a permanent situation? It was really terrible, and considering the amount of money that was spent on this remodel, completely unacceptable.

I agree it is unacceptable. It is barely 2 people wide. On Sunday, I was trying to go down and people were coming up, and it was terrible.

I thought they needed more stairs and escalators. And it was hot in the summer.

Posted on: 2/24 19:13
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Binky wrote:
So why can't they just run trains from JSQ to WTC and back in the meantime?

Seriously. The Port Authority is so incompetent.

Posted on: 2/24 16:46
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Some issues this morning with Path. It was "signal failure on Hackensack River Bridge", which caused delays in both directions on the NWK-WTC line. After this morning's commute, I have some concerns:

1. Wasn't the WTC line suspended on weekends for an entire year to remedy these types of failures on this line?

Re:2 Over the weekend it seemed like work was happening on the level above the normal WTC -> NWK platform. They may finally be laying some flooring or even beginning work on the actual platform.

Posted on: 2/24 16:14
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
So why can't they just run trains from JSQ to WTC and back in the meantime?

Posted on: 2/24 15:36
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Some issues this morning with Path. It was "signal failure on Hackensack River Bridge", which caused delays in both directions on the NWK-WTC line. After this morning's commute, I have some concerns:

1. Wasn't the WTC line suspended on weekends for an entire year to remedy these types of failures on this line?

For your first point, yes. I thought the purpose of the entire year's repairs was to fix the signal systems. Guess not.

The Hackensack River bridge is beyond obsolete, so these problems will continue/get worse. I think it MAY get replaced as part of the Amtrak upgrades, but that's years away. This is just one more example of the way that deferred infrastructure improvements will be the death of us.

Posted on: 2/24 14:44
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

For your first point, yes. I thought the purpose of the entire year's repairs was to fix the signal systems. Guess not.

Posted on: 2/24 14:23
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Re#2, that's a temporary problem, the access will be much better when the entire station opens. Which will be...someday.

Posted on: 2/24 11:59
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2/24 11:55
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

There was no next train. Right after you got on your train to WTC, all train service on the 33rd St line was suspended. Also, starting at 10:00 train service on the WTC line was delayed for 15 minutes because of "signal problems" so you are lucky you got on when you did.

Trains were back to the normal schedule at 7 am stopping at JSQ.

Look at the date of my post which you are replying to.

Posted on: 2/17 12:14
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

There was no next train. Right after you got on your train to WTC, all train service on the 33rd St line was suspended. Also, starting at 10:00 train service on the WTC line was delayed for 15 minutes because of "signal problems" so you are lucky you got on when you did.

Trains were back to the normal schedule at 7 am stopping at JSQ.

Posted on: 2/17 11:53
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Pretty sure the JSQ closure last night is the first time the PATH has run shuttle buses (even if it took them hours to get the system in place). Is this a new arrangement with another transit operator? Is there a chance they would run buses from, say, WTC-EXP in the event of an outage?

Posted on: 2/17 11:39
Print Top

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 41 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2015