Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
139 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 139

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Former Assemblyman Lou Manzo ripped Jersey City yesterday about abatements
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Manzo raps abatement 'abuses'

Thursday, March 20, 2008
By CHARLES HACK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Former state Assemblyman Louis M. Manzo ripped Jersey City yesterday at a hearing of the Assembly Budget Committee for the way the city continues to hand out tax abatements.

The committee, reviewing Gov. Jon Corzine's proposed 2009 budget, was hearing testimony on education, higher education and local government at the Liberty Science Center.

Manzo, who has opened an "Office for Public Advocacy," called the way tax abatements are used in Jersey City an "abuse" since developers no longer need incentives to build on the Gold Coast.

Manzo called on the state Department of Community Affairs to have closer oversight over how municipalities give out tax abatements and over those that are being renewed.

He said the new schools funding formula puts a burden on taxpayers who do not have tax abatements, because tax-abated properties do not contribute to local public schools and give a token amount to county services. But the incomes of the well-healed residents who live in the waterfront properties are taken into account in the school funding calculations, he said.

Since tax-abated property owners are also the highest-income people in the city, they should help pay for schools and county services, Manzo said.

Assemblywoman Joan Quigley, D-Jersey City, who sits on the committee, said that she understood that fewer tax abatements were being given out, and being targeted more to civic and nonprofit developments.

A spokeswoman for Mayor Jeremiah Healy said the entire city benefits from abatements and they help stabilize the budget because the city is able to keep almost all of the money raised through PILOTs.

Councilman Steve Fulop said that he is on a subcommittee looking into whether tax-abated properties should contribute to the schools. The committee was established after the idea was voted down, 8-1, by the City Council recently. Only he voted for it.

Posted on: 2008/3/20 13:33

Re: Former Assemblyman Lou Manzo ripped Jersey City yesterday about abatements
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/25 20:46
Group:
Registered Users
Good going, Manzo.

This point has already been made here several times. (developer shill posts notwithstanding)

Posted on: 2008/3/20 14:41
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I think Healy is a liar. Didn't he campaign on the promise that he would stop abatements?

Posted on: 2008/3/20 14:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
So why doesn't Manzo back Fulops initiatives?

Posted on: 2008/3/20 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
On Jan, 23 2008 Councilman Fulop voted in favor of introducing ordinance #08-11 a 20 year tax abatement for a market rate residential condominium project to be constructed by the Warren and York Urban Renewal Corporation LLC, in the Paulus Hook section of Jersey City.

Jan 23rd Council Agenda.

I don't quite understand how a person who is 100% against tax abatements, votes in favor of introducing one in downtown on Warren and York?

Ordiance # 08-11

Posted on: 2008/3/20 21:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/27 15:08
Group:
Banned
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
On Jan, 23 2008 Councilman Fulop voted in favor of introducing ordinance #08-11 a 20 year tax abatement for a market rate residential condominium project to be constructed by the Warren and York Urban Renewal Corporation LLC, in the Paulus Hook section of Jersey City.
Jan 23rd Council Agenda.

I don't quite understand how a person who is 100% against tax abatements, votes in favor of introducing one in downtown on Warren and York?

Where does Councilman Fulop live? I always forget.

Posted on: 2008/3/20 21:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/19 22:46
Group:
Registered Users
Sooooo disapointed. Why did he do that?

Posted on: 2008/3/21 17:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/19 22:46
Group:
Registered Users
Politicians have their alterior motives. And some people who are just friends of some of the politicians who want them to run for some sort of political title so the abatement saga can continue...

Posted on: 2008/3/21 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Where does Councilman Fulop live? I always forget.

On the east end of Essex near the ecology street. The number escapes me, must have been abated from my head. I think it has something to do with trombones or the spirit of. Remember you have 4 council members you voted for here in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2008/3/21 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Hey Councilman Fulop (since you're visiting the website today), I think some people on here were hoping for an explanation as to why you voted yes to an abatement in Paulus Hook as recently as this January.

If you have an opportunity, people would love to hear from you on this issue. Thanks.

Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
Jan 23rd Council Agenda.

Posted on: 2008/3/27 15:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/27 19:46
Group:
Registered Users
Salonthehill,

I didn?t even see this thread but happy to respond. Let me start with the ulterior motives post as there was nothing that I stood to gain personally from this vote and I think that is evident by all public disclosure that I file.

If you look at my voting record as it relates to abatements, in fairness it is not really accurate to say that I have opposed all abatements 100% of the time. Robin Pinky posted that for political reasons but it is not based in fact at all. I have always said that abatements have a place and are a useful tool when used in a fair way for resident?s benefits however the policy of abating everything and then renegotiating them lower is detrimental. My voting record shows this.

For certain, I have the most conservative voting record on the council with regards to abatements, however, I have voted for some based on each abatement?s individual circumstances. I try to look at each abatement based on different factors including location of the project, economic conditions of that particular abatement to the city, length of the abatement, and the city?s situation at the time. The most troubling aspect of this particular abatement was the location but as I will explain below other factors were part of the decision.

This particular abatement referenced here was a rare one from a financial point that we don?t see anymore at 16% which contributes significantly more than what we see today (we likely won?t see any like this again). The majority of the abatements now are coming in at 10% and the council is actually readjusting some already agreed upon abatements to this lower number. The city has seen a slow down as you can imagine in applications and starts (50 Columbus, 2nd Trump Towers, etc..) per the budget projections, however this is one project that will get started in the near term at a rate that was a higher than any other- hus I thought it made sense.

You may disagree, and I did recognize at the time that people may spin it as Robin did for political reasons, however my record has been consistent in trying to advocate best I can for the people I represent to fair terms with regards to services or taxes. Hope that clarifies how I thought about this particular abatement.

Steve

Posted on: 2008/3/27 17:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

StevenFulop wrote:
Salonthehill,

I didn?t even see this thread but happy to respond. Let me start with the ulterior motives post as there was nothing that I stood to gain personally from this vote and I think that is evident by all public disclosure that I file.

If you look at my voting record as it relates to abatements, in fairness it is not really accurate to say that I have opposed all abatements 100% of the time. Robin Pinky posted that for political reasons but it is not based in fact at all. I have always said that abatements have a place and are a useful tool when used in a fair way for resident?s benefits however the policy of abating everything and then renegotiating them lower is detrimental. My voting record shows this.

For certain, I have the most conservative voting record on the council with regards to abatements, however, I have voted for some based on each abatement?s individual circumstances. I try to look at each abatement based on different factors including location of the project, economic conditions of that particular abatement to the city, length of the abatement, and the city?s situation at the time. The most troubling aspect of this particular abatement was the location but as I will explain below other factors were part of the decision.

This particular abatement referenced here was a rare one from a financial point that we don?t see anymore at 16% which contributes significantly more than what we see today (we likely won?t see any like this again). The majority of the abatements now are coming in at 10% and the council is actually readjusting some already agreed upon abatements to this lower number. The city has seen a slow down as you can imagine in applications and starts (50 Columbus, 2nd Trump Towers, etc..) per the budget projections, however this is one project that will get started in the near term at a rate that was a higher than any other- hus I thought it made sense.

You may disagree, and I did recognize at the time that people may spin it as Robin did for political reasons, however my record has been consistent in trying to advocate best I can for the people I represent to fair terms with regards to services or taxes. Hope that clarifies how I thought about this particular abatement.

Steve

I love how anyone who challenges the almighty Fulop is doing it because they have a political agenda, and using my nickname the way you did just shows how childish you really are.

Here is the bottom line Councilman Fulop, I posted it for one reason and one reason only, you voted in favor of abatement for Market Rate Luxury Condominiums in the Paulus Hook section of Jersey City. What ever the terms are it?s still a tax abatement and coming from someone who has repeatedly and adamantly denounced abatements this came as a shock. So, now we all know that you do support abatements, it just depends on the terms.

Posted on: 2008/3/27 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:

I love how anyone who challenges the almighty Fulop is doing it because they have a political agenda, and using my nickname the way you did just shows how childish you really are.

Actually, I thought it was kind of cute!

Posted on: 2008/3/27 19:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
the council is actually readjusting some already agreed upon abatements to this lower number.

This makes me nuts - if it's true, I'd like to know which one(s).

And I'd also like to read some justification for the city to be in the business of indemnifying commercial developers against risk associated with business condition changes occurring *after* they sign agreements with the city - do developers renegotiate agreements to give the city more $ if things break *their* way? I wonder....

Quote:
...using my nickname the way you did just shows how childish you really are

I gotta tell say, compared to 'mayors-gone-wild' Healy and the rest of the council (Willie Flood et al), Steve Fulop is the *least* childish person over there at city hall.

Quote:
So, now we all know that you do support abatements, it just depends on the terms.

Help me out here, isn't that the way it's supposed to work? (...I mean, how *dare* he compare interest rates!! - what a showoff!!)

Posted on: 2008/3/27 20:01
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

scooter wrote:

'mayors-gone-wild' Healy

You gotta love it...... I mean, if the shoe fits!

Posted on: 2008/3/27 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

StevenFulop wrote:

This particular abatement referenced here was a rare one from a financial point that we don?t see anymore at 16% which contributes significantly more than what we see today (we likely won?t see any like this again).

Steve

Councilman Fulop:

I thought that the philosophical and fiscal problem with allowing the City to continue to feed from the abatement trough is that it is a never-ending cycle that must at some point, at least for luxury market rate condominium housing in already wealthy neighborhoods, be stood up to and spoken out against. Because it's the right thing to do. And because the incentive to build luxury housing that does not contribute to our City's schools or to our County infrastructure, and places an ever-escalating burden on ordinary tax-paying home-owners, already exists in neighborhoods like Paulus Hook (where you live) and Newport.

Whether it's 16% or 10%, continuing to indulge the myth that development will cease unless abatements are handed out (and the corresponding fear-mongering that goes along with that) is entirely contrary to what I thought your position on the issue was.

I'd like to think your constituents are smart enough to recognize that "I'm the least bad" does not equal "I'm good", so I think talking around the issue before finally confronting the question you were asked is where the real "spin" in this thread is. And there's nothing more political than attributing nefarious purposes to the messenger, instead of simply responding to the message.

Posted on: 2008/3/27 20:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
A quick search on Tris McCall's excellent site, The Tris McCall Report led me to an interview
Tris did with then Ward E candidate Steven Fulop in March 2005:

Resized Image
Resized Image

I sat down with Steven Fulop at LITM to talk politics, the structure of government, and the future
of Jersey City ? and why he believes he?s the man to guide Ward E into it.

On governmental reform
His personal story
His race against Menendez
On Downtown tax abatements
On the Powerhouse Arts District
On Mayor Healy and the HCDO
On the percieved spike in crime
On Restaurant Row and Newark Ave.
On opposing a prominent Latino leader

Quote:
TM: When Cunningham defeated Tom DeGise to become mayor, he temporarily won the support of anti-abatement activists. Do you consider yourself the anti-abatement candidate in this race?

SF: I?m not against abatements per se ? but I do have objections to the way they?re currently being used. You want to use abatements to stimulate development in parts of the city where development wouldn?t ordinarily occur. But right now, they?re being used to plug budget gaps so that the City Council doesn?t have to raise taxes. The Council will give out abatements anywhere, because they?ve become addicted to the quick fiscal fix. We need to develop a long-term fiscal policy that doesn?t rely on these crutches.

This isn?t about hostility to development. I think we?ve all cultivated some ambivalence on this issue, and we now know that developers are not these big bad beasts all the time. But by and large, Ward E does not need development stimulus anymore.

Posted on: 2008/3/27 21:44
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
I think one thing that gets overlooked in abatement discussions is that the school board budget is really big, and the revenue lost to abatements is not necessarily that huge.

I think the school budget is something like $500 million or $600 million, or maybe $5,000 to $6,000 per resident who truly earns enough to be paying taxes.

My understanding (which could be wrong; I've been trying to piece this together and haven't found a great description that incorporates numbers) is that maybe we have about a $2 billion in tax-abated property on the waterfront. If that's a correct figure, and the owners would normally be paying about 2 percent of that value in property taxes, then the abatements might be costing us about $40 million in tax revenue.

If that estimate is correct (again: I welcome corrections), it might be that eliminating the abatements would be the right thing to do, and it might help us cope with cuts in state support, but it might not flood our schools with extra cash.

Also: I think that one unfortunate thing is that people will say, "It's terrible that I have to pay taxes to support those schools when the schools are so terrible!!"

My experience is that all of the downtown schools are reasonably well run, especially at the lower grade levels.
I can understand why people might send their children to private schools or charter schools, but the regular zone schools downtown are certainly doing well enough that they deserve our support.

Posted on: 2008/3/27 22:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
Quote:

StevenFulop wrote:
Salonthehill,

Steve

Here is the bottom line Councilman Fulop, I posted it for one reason and one reason only, you voted in favor of abatement for Market Rate Luxury Condominiums in the Paulus Hook section of Jersey City. What ever the terms are it?s still a tax abatement and coming from someone who has repeatedly and adamantly denounced abatements this came as a shock. So, now we all know that you do support abatements, it just depends on the terms.

Although i agree he seems a bit snippy here pinky but the truth is your old boss Jr Maldonado is looking to run again next year.
Are you for or against Abatements?
I am against them except for Sr buildings,low income and the occasional Rehab.

Posted on: 2008/3/27 22:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

...or a third option, do you examine each abatement individually, taking things as location, interest rate, and term length into account? (as Fulop seems to be doing)

This blanket for/against thing seems a little silly/simplistic.
I'm sorry. Please don't delete my post.

A better blanket question might be: ""Do you favor ever renegotiating existing signed agreements after the fact to benefit developers (i.e. lowering interest rates, providing low interest loans, scuttling redevelopment plans)?"

Posted on: 2008/3/27 23:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
alb wrote:
My understanding (which could be wrong; I've been trying to piece this together and haven't found a great description that incorporates numbers) is that maybe we have about a $2 billion in tax-abated property on the waterfront. If that's a correct figure, and the owners would normally be paying about 2 percent of that value in property taxes, then the abatements might be costing us about $40 million in tax revenue.

If that estimate is correct (again: I welcome corrections), it might be that eliminating the abatements would be the right thing to do, and it might help us cope with cuts in state support, but it might not flood our schools with extra cash.

Whatever the numbers are, this is not the point. There will be no windfall. You can't eliminate the existing abatements. You can only stop granting new ones. Stopping future tax abatements will not restore lost funds to the education budget. It will stop the process from getting worse. The best reason to stop abatements is that they are pure giveaways in an area undergoing enormous organic growth due to its ideal location vis a vis NYC. Abatements could make sense in areas of the city that are not benefitting from new development, but in downtown they are an abuse of the program.

Posted on: 2008/3/28 1:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

scooter wrote:
Quote:

...or a third option, do you examine each abatement individually, taking things as location, interest rate, and term length into account? (as Fulop seems to be doing)

This blanket for/against thing seems a little silly/simplistic.
I'm sorry. Please don't delete my post.

A better blanket question might be: ""Do you favor ever renegotiating existing signed agreements after the fact to benefit developers (i.e. lowering interest rates, providing low interest loans, scuttling redevelopment plans)?"

Well, here's Fulop's position on granting abatements, (at least when he was running for office), lest we try to keep changing the subject:

SF: "I?m not against abatements per se ? but I do have objections to the way they?re currently being used. You want to use abatements to stimulate development in parts of the city where development wouldn?t ordinarily occur. But right now, they?re being used to plug budget gaps so that the City Council doesn?t have to raise taxes. The Council will give out abatements anywhere, because they?ve become addicted to the quick fiscal fix. We need to develop a long-term fiscal policy that doesn?t rely on these crutches.

"This isn?t about hostility to development. I think we?ve all cultivated some ambivalence on this issue, and we now know that developers are not these big bad beasts all the time. But by and large, Ward E does not need development stimulus anymore."

And if Ward E by and large does not need development stimulus anymore, Paulus Hook most certainly does not need development stimulus.

Posted on: 2008/3/28 2:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCase wrote:

Whatever the numbers are, this is not the point. .. The best reason to stop abatements is that they are pure giveaways in an area undergoing enormous organic growth due to its ideal location vis a vis NYC.

I agree with you that Jersey City should stop giving out abatements for developments along the Hudson River just on principle.

But I think the actual numbers are important, because I used to think when I was reading these discussions that maybe, say, the city had abated away $500 million in tax revenue, or something truly atrocious like that. As far as I can tell (and I welcome better numbers from someone who really knows the number) that's not the case.

One thing I don't understand is how other communities manage to pay for their schools.

I think we have about 30,000 kids attending schools in our district, or only about 12% of the population. Our schools are a little expensive on a per-kid basis, but not all that expensive when you adjust for the general cost of living here.

It looks as the schools get about $1,200 in revenue per year from the 100,000 or so residents who earn enough to pay taxes, or who pay taxes by making rent payments to private-market landlords. The state pays about $4,800.

That makes me wonder how the rich communities pay for schools, plus all the other state and local government services. Are the residents and businesses in other communities really paying, say, $20,000 in state and local taxes per family per year, or some horrendous figure like that? Or is the answer that the percentage Jersey City kids enrolled in the public schools is unusually high and throws the figures off?

Posted on: 2008/3/28 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SalOnTheHill wrote:
Well, here's Fulop's position on granting abatements, (at least when he was running for office), lest we try to keep changing the subject:

SF: "I?m not against abatements per se ? but I do have objections to the way they?re currently being used. You want to use abatements to stimulate development in parts of the city where development wouldn?t ordinarily occur. But right now, they?re being used to plug budget gaps so that the City Council doesn?t have to raise taxes. The Council will give out abatements anywhere, because they?ve become addicted to the quick fiscal fix. We need to develop a long-term fiscal policy that doesn?t rely on these crutches.

"This isn?t about hostility to development. I think we?ve all cultivated some ambivalence on this issue, and we now know that developers are not these big bad beasts all the time. But by and large, Ward E does not need development stimulus anymore."

And if Ward E by and large does not need development stimulus anymore, Paulus Hook most certainly does not need development stimulus.

Abatements are good or bad, depending on how they they are implemented. A major issue that many of us have with abatements is that the city has left too much on the table when offering abatement to developers. I don't think that Fulop has ever said that he would unconditionally vote against all abatements in ward E.

Sal, what ward do you live in and what is your council person's voting record on abatements? Can we assume that unlike Fulop, your council person has voted for nearly every abatement that was offered? Do you have an ulterior motive for suggesting inconsistencies in Fulop's voting record?

Posted on: 2008/3/28 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

super_furry wrote:
Quote:

SalOnTheHill wrote:

Abatements are good or bad, depending on how they they are implemented. A major issue that many of us have with abatements is that the city has left too much on the table when offering abatement to developers. I don't think that Fulop has ever said that he would unconditionally vote against all abatements in ward E.

Sal, what ward do you live in and what is your council person's voting record on abatements? Can we assume that unlike Fulop, your council person has voted for nearly every abatement that was offered? Do you have an ulterior motive for suggesting inconsistencies in Fulop's voting record?

It's my understanding that the Beacon is actually within Ward E (i was told it extended up to Baldwin Avenue), but considering Fulop is going to be asking for the entire city to vote for him for mayor, I don't know what relevance the question of "who's your councilperson and what's their voting record" has to the question of Fulop's vote for an abatement for a luxury condo project in Paulus Hook. Except maybe to suggest that "others" dare not question Fulop, which smacks of ulterior motives.

Why is it so hard for the councilman (and his devotees) to hold him to account for not living up to his campaign commitments? I thought he was all about accountability and transparency, so why the need to change the subject?

Posted on: 2008/3/29 15:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

SalOnTheHill wrote:
It's my understanding that the Beacon is actually within Ward E (i was told it extended up to Baldwin Avenue), but considering Fulop is going to be asking for the entire city to vote for him for mayor, I don't know what relevance the question of "who's your councilperson and what's their voting record" has to the question of Fulop's vote for an abatement for a luxury condo project in Paulus Hook. Except maybe to suggest that "others" dare not question Fulop, which smacks of ulterior motives.

Why is it so hard for the councilman (and his devotees) to hold him to account for not living up to his campaign commitments? I thought he was all about accountability and transparency, so why the need to change the subject?

100 years ago Einstein proved we live in a relativistic world. A politician needs to be evaluated relative to the competition rather than perfection. Absolutists don't survive long in any political system. Yours is also the attitude that gets us leaders with thin resumes, rather than experience and long histories, which inevitably contain compromises that leave them vulnerable to your sort of absolutist criticism.

Every election in my lifetime hasn't been about who's perfect, but who's less bad. Fulop has nearly continuously challenged the entrenched corrupt system. Who do you have that's less bad and electable, that considering a mayoral run?

I think Lou Manzo has run and lost enough times to not be a viable candidate.

Posted on: 2008/3/29 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

SalOnTheHill wrote:

100 years ago Einstein proved we live in a relativistic world. A politician needs to be evaluated relative to the competition rather than perfection. Absolutists don't survive long in any political system. Yours is also the attitude that gets us leaders with thin resumes, rather than experience and long histories, which inevitably contain compromises that leave them vulnerable to your sort of absolutist criticism.

Every election in my lifetime hasn't been about who's perfect, but who's less bad. Fulop has nearly continuously challenged the entrenched corrupt system. Who do you have that's less bad and electable, that considering a mayoral run?

I think Lou Manzo has run and lost enough times to not be a viable candidate.

Why look, another change of subject! How utterly predictible.

There's nothing absolutist about my criticism. I don't put any politicians on a pedestal. Fulop's own words on abatements speak for themselves as to what his position was when he asked his constituents to vote for him. I agree with that position (pre-election) that handing out abatements to developers to build luxury market-rate condominiums in already wealthy neighborhoods, without demanding much of anything in return from them except for a quick-fix way to make budgetary ends meet, is a perpetuation of a cycle I thought Fulop had committed to oppose.

The continual presentation of false-choice argumentation and hide-the-ball is really disappointing. If you have such a nuanced and cynical view toward politicians already, why is having an honest discussion about where your councilman may have let you down such a threatening concept?

I politely asked the Councilman to explain his reasons for voting yes to the abatement in Paulus Hook in January. I was stunned that his response consisted of three main points:
1.) That the person who brought attention to the fact that this vote took place must be doing it for political purposes, and therefore the focus should be on who presented the fact, not on the actual vote.
2.) That Fulop has voted to approve far fewer abatements than his colleagues on the council (and therefore his votes to approve luxury market rate condo abatements in his own wealthy neighborhood should therefore receive less scrutiny???)
3.) That the reason this was a "good" abatement was because it was for 16% instead of 10%.

While r_pinkowitz may have (slightly) overstated that the Councilman is 100% against abatements, Fulop has certainly forged an image for himself as the one politician who will stand up to the practice of handing out abatements as a way of perpetuating an incredibly dysfunctional and irresponsible fiscal system. The vote in January suggests otherwise.

With this in mind, I believe the Councilman owes his constituents a better explanation about his vote in January than the one he gave, or in lieu of that, a clarification of his position on abatements.

Spitzer's downfall came about not simply because he got caught with whores, but because he held himself out to be some kind of paragon of ethics and virtue. When the story broke, the real meat of the issue was not the indiscretion, or even its illegality, but the hypocrisy.

Posted on: 2008/3/29 19:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Sal,

What IS your point? If you want a politician who never, EVER modifies or abandons a stated policy, there's one in the white house who will soon be looking for work.

Posted on: 2008/3/29 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SalOnTheHill wrote:
It's my understanding that the Beacon is actually within Ward E (i was told it extended up to Baldwin Avenue)...

Fulop voted against the abatement for the Beacon, where you claim to reside. This shouldn't come as a surprise since Fulop has consistently rejected abatements that are not needed.

Tax break intro for Med Center

Originally appeared in the Jersey Journal on Thursday, July 14, 2005

By KEN THORBOURNE

City Council members in Jersey City voted yesterday to introduce a measure that would grant a precedent-setting tax break for a project that would transform the old Jersey City Medical Center properties on Baldwin Avenue into a swanky condominium complex with screening rooms, rooftop restaurants and hot tubs.

The proposed tax abatement would last 30 years and require the developer - Metrovest Equities of New York City - to pay the city 10 percent of annual gross revenue. The standard for tax abatements in Jersey City has been 20 years, with a 16 percent return of annual gross revenue.

Deviations from the standard abatement agreement have normally been tied to the creation of affordable housing units, city officials said. But the Metrovest Equities project - known as the Beacon - involves all market-rate housing.

City officials said the unique abatement is necessary because of the complexity of the Beacon project, and its potential to jump-start development in the center of the city, in much the same way the massive Newport development rejuvenated the waterfront.

"A couple years ago, no one wanted to touch it (this property)," said Ward D Councilman William Gaughan on Monday, defending the tax abatement. "A lot of people will be part of a brand-new neighborhood."

The City Council will take a final vote on whether or not to grant the tax abatement at their meeting next month.

The lone vote yesterday against the tax abatement was Steve Fulop, the newly elected City Councilman from Ward E, who said the developer seemed to be getting "three bites at the apple." Fulop said the developer purchased the properties at a discount and initially claimed he could finance the $350 million project himself.

Jersey City resident Lavern Washington also felt the tax break was an unnecessary give-away.

"We gave that property to them (Metrovest Equities) and those people will have nothing affordable in that complex," Washington said.

http://www.jcedc.org/new/jj071405.html

Posted on: 2008/3/29 19:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/19 21:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

super_furry wrote:
Fulop voted against the abatement for the Beacon, where you claim to reside. This shouldn't come as a surprise since Fulop has consistently rejected abatements that are not needed.

So abatements for market rate projects in Paulus Hook ARE needed because, hell, no one wants to live there?

Posted on: 2008/3/29 20:10

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017