Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
61 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 61

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Hamilton PORK
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

"I agree with the chef that this place doesnt need a "Mexican Flare" in its offerings."

this can't be true... lol.

Posted on: 2016/3/7 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
I think the trick is looking for the particular type that appeals most to your palate. In the case of BBQ styles, since I lived in Texas for quite some time, I am partial to dry rub, with smoky sauces. If you like tangy, non sweet sauce, look for North Carolina style sauces (usually red and runny, since it is vinegar based) but most commercial stuff is Kansas City style, which is that thick, sweet stuff. Memphis style is like a cross between KC and NC styles, with vinegar base but also includes molasses.

Thanks, that explains a lot, but most bottles don't list their provenance! I just shake them, look at the ingredients, and hope for the best. I kinda liked Dinosaur's, what is that Q?

Posted on: 2016/3/7 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

HippieShowgirl wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Care to share your recipe???????

Sure.

I freestyle it after the first 3 ingredients, just adjust to taste

1 Cup Ketchup
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
1/3 to 1/2 cup of brown sugar (handful)
dash of Worcestershire
dash of lemon juice
dash of orange juice
dash of dijon mustard
smidgen of sriracha
smidgen of sweet chili sauce
about 10-15 cracks on the black pepper grinder
a few shakes of onion powder
a little shake of chili powder
smidgen of honey if I have it.

Bring to a boil, simmer to reduce about 45 mins to an hour

Cool, thanks. It's been a while since I made my own, but most of the commercial stuff is way too sweet. There used to be a brand in the supermarket called Firehouse that I thought was pretty good, but it's long gone.

I think the trick is looking for the particular type that appeals most to your palate. In the case of BBQ styles, since I lived in Texas for quite some time, I am partial to dry rub, with smoky sauces. If you like tangy, non sweet sauce, look for North Carolina style sauces (usually red and runny, since it is vinegar based) but most commercial stuff is Kansas City style, which is that thick, sweet stuff. Memphis style is like a cross between KC and NC styles, with vinegar base but also includes molasses.

Posted on: 2016/3/7 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

HippieShowgirl wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Sure.

1 Cup Ketchup
1/2 cup water
dash of Worcestershire
dash of lemon juice
dash of orange juice
dash of dijon mustard
smidgen of sriracha

Cool, thanks. It's been a while since I made my own, but most of the commercial stuff is way too sweet. There used to be a brand in the supermarket called Firehouse that I thought was pretty good, but it's long gone.

Posted on: 2016/3/7 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
lol that was quick

Posted on: 2016/3/7 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/3/7 14:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 18:00
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Sure.

1 Cup Ketchup
1/2 cup water
dash of Worcestershire
dash of lemon juice
dash of orange juice
dash of dijon mustard
smidgen of sriracha

Posted on: 2016/3/7 13:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

HippieShowgirl wrote:
Barbecue sauce on the table was decent, nothing spectacular (Mine is better ...)

As for "artisanal", couldn't you define it as "being made by someone who uses their own knowledge and experience to perfect it by adjustments during the process". A Betty Crocker cake is "homemade" but not artisanal. Cabot black label Cheddar is pretty damn good cheese for the price, but it's made by employees following strict guidelines, not by an artisan. Are there great foods that can be artisanal without feedback from the artisan?

Scale can weird things. Is a brewmaster an artisan? How big a production can it be before it stops being artisanal. Is beer from a jobbing brewery in Utica artisanal?

Posted on: 2016/3/7 1:24

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/18 13:44
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Tried this place Saturday night, only had a martini and the brisket nachos. They did put a lot of brisket on the nachos but the whole dish was totally flavor less. The martini and ambiance was nice

Posted on: 2016/3/6 23:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

thanks!

Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

DanL wrote:
how does this place compare to and how are -

smokinbarrelnj.com

houseofque.com

relatively new places in Hoboken.

my local references are Hill County, Mighty Quinn in the East Village and going back to Pierson's when they were in the back of a sports bar in Queens.

Having just been the House of 'Que I would say Hamilton Pork is a lot better. The atmosphere at House of Que and the portion sizes are better but both the ribs and the brisket are better at Hamilton Pork.

Posted on: 2016/3/1 10:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Well, it may or may not be artisanal-but is it (the newest, annoying overused word) 'curated'?

Ya, in my original post regarding the whole artisanal thing (which got taken in a whole new direction) I was referring to how the dining concept is presented, not on how the food is executed. i have no idea if they sticking to a book of standards, i can only see the trendy interior, inflated prices and modest portions.

Posted on: 2016/2/29 20:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:

smokinbarrelnj.com

houseofque.com

my local references are Hill County, Mighty Quinn in the East Village and going back to Pierson's when they were in the back of a sports bar in Queens.

Having just been the House of 'Que I would say Hamilton Pork is a lot better. The atmosphere at House of Que and the portion sizes are better but both the ribs and the brisket are better at Hamilton Pork.

Posted on: 2016/2/29 15:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 18:29
Group:
Registered Users
I thought it was great, and I can't wait to go back with a bigger group.
Waitress was sweet and attentive, the atmosphere was perfect. Spacious but cozy, even the music was at a just right volume.
I though the food was excellent, and prices were right on. In the summer this is going to be really fun.
Just goes to show everyone has different tastes!

Posted on: 2016/2/29 14:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Well, it may or may not be artisanal-but is it (the newest, annoying overused word) 'curated'?

Posted on: 2016/2/29 12:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 18:00
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Went on Sunday for brunch. The BBQ is really ... okay. We had and shared the brisket, pork ribs, fries with cheese, beans, and mexican corn. The pork ribs were nice; the rub was tasty. The brisket was average-good. The mexican corn was all right, not spicy at all, though (I prefer Orale's) I'm not a fan of beans, but these, with the little bits of brisket, were Mr. HippieShowman's favorite of the dishes. Barbecue sauce on the table was decent, nothing spectacular (Mine is better ...)

The star of the meal was the bourbon cocktail with the lemonade. Servers were very attentive, if a little unsure of themselves, but that's to be expected.

We'll go back, but we won't run back.

Posted on: 2016/2/29 12:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Probably the oddest thread derailing I have seen in some time. What can I say, DtJcQdMf? Of course I understand your point, even if I slightly disagree. Is the first definition presented in a dictionary the most common? Yes. If more than one definition are present, is the first one more "right"? Not necessarily. It's all about context.

Meanwhile, the ironic part in all this is that I have complete and total disdain for the use of the word "artisanal" when applied to things like BBQ, or baking, or cocktails, or whatever. I find the whole thing pretentious. For whatever reason, a bunch of hipsters latched onto it a few years ago and over used it. Now they have moved on to the new hip adjective of "bespoke", and so we now have bespoke cocktails, and bespoke travel experiences, and on and on.

All I want to know is: is the BBQ at Hamilton Pork really good?

PS - the one thing on which I totally disagree with you is the contention that BBQ is inherently "bad for your health." ;)

Posted on: 2016/2/29 5:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
BBQ can be artisanal. There is a real science and craft behind it. Hamilton Pork's pitmaster has an opportunity to demonstrate some flair and genius - different marinades and rubs, different woods and meats, different cooking and resting methods. Nobody expects perfection day 1 - and think it's fair to say that everyone locally would like to see them hit it out of the park.

Posted on: 2016/2/28 11:50

Re: Hamilton Pork
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/3 19:27
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

DtJcQdMf wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

DtJcQdMf wrote:
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
This whole "artisanal" BS food trend needs to stop. BBQ in its essence IS ARTISANAL. The amount of time the food takes to cook, the delicate mix of spices for the rubs, the tending of the fire.

Now look what Hamilton Pork has done here: Here are your FOUR RIBS, here is your SCOOP of mac n' cheese. Look how delicate your plate is, oh so delicate, the balance, so artisanal, are you enjoying the atmosphere, it's reclaimed wood, very artisanal. Do you like the butcher paper, very authentic.

This is insulting the the BBQ experience. BBQ is about eating big, big portions, over abundance. It's the reason why people with weak stomachs don't like BBQ "ewewew, it's SO MUCH FOOD" You aren't expected to eat all of it, your expected to share it.

This is exactly the execution I was expecting from The Hamilton Inn and I feel bad for the people who are about to be let down, again.

Hard to say that BBQ is artisanal, imo, don't need an artisan. Need a hunk of meat, some spice rub, and strong backs.

Huh? Smoked BBQ is the very definition of artisanal. That is, it is made in a traditional way by hand, or in a non mechanized manner.

I disagree, not strongly, but personally. Just to make sure, I looked up the definition. Here it is:
An Artisan is a skilled craft worker who makes or creates things by hand that may be functional or strictly decorative, for example furniture, decorative arts, sculptures, clothing, jewelry, household items and tools or even mechanical mechanisms such as the handmade clockwork movement of a watchmaker.
That's the definition from Wikipedia.

Making it in a traditional way by hand, or in a non-mechanized manner, doesn't cut it, FOR ME. YMMV.
After this point, you may say that becoming a pitmaster requires fine motor skills and years of training, such as a tourbillion watchmaker for Vacheron constantin requires. Then we will agree to disagree.

Here is the definition from Merriam Webster:
Full Definition of artisan
: a worker who practices a trade or handicraft : craftsperson
: one that produces something (as cheese or wine) in limited quantities often using traditional methods

You may also say that according the Merriam-webster definition, BBQ fits the definition of artisanal. However, I believe that definition to be too general; I do not consider myself an artisan when making a sandwich at home, for example.

Wikipedia, by no means an exhaustive authority, but a good proxy for certain topics, expounds further on the definition:
...Thus, "artisanal" is sometimes used in marketing and advertising as a buzz word to describe or imply some relation with the crafting of handmade food products, such as bread, beverages or cheese....

I like the English language. It is my first and best language. It can be so expressive, and specific. I prefer to hone the definitions of words, where applicable, to fine points, so when appropriate there is no mistaking what I mean.
If BBQ by that definition is artisanal, this would expand many things to being artisanal: deli salad, the bagel down at wonder bagel, pulled pork, a mechanical watch, a Pagani, a Stradivarius. The letter of the word and the spirit of the word are discordant and then the word becomes irrelevant.

I'd like to say that Hamilton Pork never claimed their BBQ to be artisanal; this derailment is just a friendly discussion about what is and isn't artisanal.

Actually, now that I've typed out this entire stupid response, I may have swayed myself (a bit) in the other direction. I suppose BBQ could be artisanal, but I do not usually think of it as such.

You argue that BBQ is not artisanal, and then go on a long post debating the finer points of the word "artisan", instead of "artisanal".

ar?ti?san?al
?r?t?z?n(?)l/
adjective
adjective: artisanal
relating to or characteristic of an artisan.
"artisanal skills"

- (of a product, especially food or drink) made in a traditional or non-mechanized way.
"artisanal cheeses"

Yes, you are correct that an artisan is everything you said and argued. But, that was not the contention. No one is arguing that those pit masters (and I use the term lightly, because I haven't watched them honing their craft) are artisans. But, when speaking of artisanal products or food, the implications and accepted definitions is what I just posted above.

I disagree. When using a dictionary, the most common definition is first profferred. Although there is a secondary definition, IMO it applies to quantizable food products, such as cheese, olive oil; foods where there is an alternative to the traditional way. Olive oil can and mostly is made through machine press. Artisanal olive oil is the exception, validating the inclusion of the word 'traditional' in the definition.
See my aforementioned example of "artisanal bologna sandwich." "Artisanal popsicle house." Isn't it jarring?
The implication of BBQ at a BBQ restaurant precludes the possibility of anything but traditional methods, IMO. There is just labor-intensive method.
So, what I'm saying is I see your definition, and raise a more thorough interpretation of said definition.
I'm not trying to be a pedant, but I really don't think BBQ is artisanal, of or relating to the artisan. I think it's delicious food that's bad for your health.

I've included IMO in my response, because YMMV.
However, tell me if you don't understand the nuance of my opinion, or if you are perseverating -Repeat or prolong an action, thought, or utterance after the stimulus that prompted it has ceased-
Any reply without consideration of the points in my argument is dogmatic -Asserting or insisting upon ideas or principles, especially when unproven or unexamined, in an imperious or arrogant manner-

Lastly, if you are a person that always needs to get the last word, then let me know. I will stop. I really am just wondering if you feel what I'm saying? Like, do you, like, hear me, son?

Posted on: 2016/2/28 0:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DtJcQdMf wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

DtJcQdMf wrote:
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
This whole "artisanal" BS food trend needs to stop. BBQ in its essence IS ARTISANAL. The amount of time the food takes to cook, the delicate mix of spices for the rubs, the tending of the fire.

Now look what Hamilton Pork has done here: Here are your FOUR RIBS, here is your SCOOP of mac n' cheese. Look how delicate your plate is, oh so delicate, the balance, so artisanal, are you enjoying the atmosphere, it's reclaimed wood, very artisanal. Do you like the butcher paper, very authentic.

This is insulting the the BBQ experience. BBQ is about eating big, big portions, over abundance. It's the reason why people with weak stomachs don't like BBQ "ewewew, it's SO MUCH FOOD" You aren't expected to eat all of it, your expected to share it.

This is exactly the execution I was expecting from The Hamilton Inn and I feel bad for the people who are about to be let down, again.

Hard to say that BBQ is artisanal, imo, don't need an artisan. Need a hunk of meat, some spice rub, and strong backs.

Huh? Smoked BBQ is the very definition of artisanal. That is, it is made in a traditional way by hand, or in a non mechanized manner.

I disagree, not strongly, but personally. Just to make sure, I looked up the definition. Here it is:
An Artisan is a skilled craft worker who makes or creates things by hand that may be functional or strictly decorative, for example furniture, decorative arts, sculptures, clothing, jewelry, household items and tools or even mechanical mechanisms such as the handmade clockwork movement of a watchmaker.

Making it in a traditional way by hand, or in a non-mechanized manner, doesn't cut it, FOR ME. YMMV.
After this point, you may say that becoming a pitmaster requires fine motor skills and years of training, such as a tourbillion watchmaker for Vacheron constantin requires. Then we will agree to disagree.

: one that produces something (as cheese or wine) in limited quantities often using traditional methods

You may also say that according the Merriam-webster definition, BBQ fits the definition of artisanal. However, I believe that definition to be too general; I do not consider myself an artisan when making a sandwich at home, for example.

Wikipedia, by no means an exhaustive authority, but a good proxy for certain topics, expounds further on the definition:
...Thus, "artisanal" is sometimes used in marketing and advertising as a buzz word to describe or imply some relation with the crafting of handmade food products, such as bread, beverages or cheese....

I like the English language. It is my first and best language. It can be so expressive, and specific. I prefer to hone the definitions of words, where applicable, to fine points, so when appropriate there is no mistaking what I mean.
If BBQ by that definition is artisanal, this would expand many things to being artisanal: deli salad, the bagel down at wonder bagel, pulled pork, a mechanical watch, a Pagani, a Stradivarius. The letter of the word and the spirit of the word are discordant and then the word becomes irrelevant.

I'd like to say that Hamilton Pork never claimed their BBQ to be artisanal; this derailment is just a friendly discussion about what is and isn't artisanal.

Actually, now that I've typed out this entire stupid response, I may have swayed myself (a bit) in the other direction. I suppose BBQ could be artisanal, but I do not usually think of it as such.

You argue that BBQ is not artisanal, and then go on a long post debating the finer points of the word "artisan", instead of "artisanal".

ar?ti?san?al
?r?t?z?n(?)l/
adjective
adjective: artisanal
relating to or characteristic of an artisan.
"artisanal skills"

- (of a product, especially food or drink) made in a traditional or non-mechanized way.
"artisanal cheeses"

Yes, you are correct that an artisan is everything you said and argued. But, that was not the contention. No one is arguing that those pit masters (and I use the term lightly, because I haven't watched them honing their craft) are artisans. But, when speaking of artisanal products or food, the implications and accepted definitions is what I just posted above.

Posted on: 2016/2/27 21:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

DtJcQdMf wrote:
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/27 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DtJcQdMf wrote:
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/27 16:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:

BBQ is pretty good here, and probably will only get better once they figure out what they're up to.

Posted on: 2016/2/26 23:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
This place could be a HOT spot for the Park
area if they get it right!

as a Hamilton Park area resident, super psyched to have this in the hood.

Understanding the up and down reviews, got positive "B/B+" feedback from friend who is a discerning BBQ consumer.

For other new local(ish), hear great things about hometown.

... and as always, looking forward to BBQ Block Party again this year.

Posted on: 2016/2/25 19:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Fette Sau in Williamsburg is also top notch.

Posted on: 2016/2/25 1:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

smokinbarrelnj.com

houseofque.com

Posted on: 2016/2/25 0:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 20:00
From paulus hook
Group:
Registered Users
When I heard a BBQ place was opening in the neighborhood I was super excited.
Sadly the joint was very disappointing. Not in the terms of taste but in the terms of PRICE AND PORTION.

I agree BBQ restaurants have a certain esthetic of big sloppy portions worth the little higher pricing.
I'm hoping that over time the menu changes and portions increase. This place could be a HOT spot for the Park
area if they get it right!

Posted on: 2016/2/23 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
I've forgotten how long this spot was vacant for ~ the Vespa shop having moved out a few years ago. Rumors of a pizza spot going in and lots of banter re that, if I correctly recall.
Passed by this weekend and you've got to give them credit for a beautiful build out. Like the new burger place on Erie, the owner's probably listening to and absorbing and tweeking the menu based on feedback as it comes in.
I'll take a beautiful storefront over an abandoned one any day of the week and am really happy that they've managed to open ~ city hall sometimes dragging these openings on and on the way they do.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 3:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

yeah this point was beat to death a few years ago when the BBQ scene in this area really started to explode. obviously there is an aesthetic to the entire experience of eating bbq at old joints in the country, unfortunately this is is not the country. Restaurant economics are what they are around here, and with crazy rent/food cost/etc comes crazy prices. That said, if the alternative is no bbq, then i'll take what we have and find the best way to make it somewhat cost effective. There are a lot of places that are doing the food justice, even if it is expensive and the "bbq motif" is somewhat corny (noting it is everywhere, not just bbq spots).

Anyway, If you prefer to eat BBQ somewhere else, go there and enjoy.

Posted on: 2016/2/21 23:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
Where do they have parking?

In the parking lot on the corner of 12th and Jersey.
Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/2/21 19:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Where do they have parking?

Posted on: 2016/2/21 19:20