Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
51 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 51

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Hamilton PORK
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I probably will not be back but wish them the best. Next time I have a craving I will go to legal beans or even get the mediocre bbq at south house.

Try Zeppelin. Great price/portion and the food was solid. Some misses (pulled pork), but wings/chix/brisket/ribs were good. little hazy on the details but will be back for sure.

Posted on: 2016/6/24 20:23

Re: Hamilton Pork
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/18 3:14
From Hamiliton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I was really disappointed that they don't have combo plates. All sides are a la carte.

Posted on: 2016/6/20 17:50

Re: Hamilton Pork
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
I went to Hamilton Pork back in March and it was ok. By no means the best bbq I'd had, but I assumed they were working out the kinks that any new biz experiences. I'd go back.

As for Legal Beans, I had it once and it was god-awful. Literally the best thing I had was the can of Coke.

Posted on: 2016/6/20 16:57

Hamilton Pork
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
Tried Hamilton Pork for the first time this weekend.

The layout of the place is wonderful, big tables, outside space, big bar. The ambiance was great with friendly staff. The only problem was, everything else.

I hate writing negative reviews but hopefully this will motivate them to be better or maybe someone can confirm that my experience was a fluke.

We got a little sampling of everything. I can?t understand how you can charge $14 for 3 thin slices of brisket which felt and tasted like it had been sitting out for a long time. I would never order that again. I?m sure they pickle their own onions and cucumbers, but they need more time. It felt like eating a raw piece of onion. The ribs weren?t bad and the sides we had were ok. I want to have good things to say about this place and I?m not a bbq snob, but nothing at this place food wise was decent.

I probably will not be back but wish them the best. Next time I have a craving I will go to legal beans or even get the mediocre bbq at south house.

Posted on: 2016/6/20 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:
they lost months of business when some jackass in a stolen hummer crashed through their storefront. for whatever reason, ownership couldn't sustain it through that and they closed

got it was not aware

Quote:
not exactly 'ny chewing em up and spitting em out'

yeah, got that from the first part.

Posted on: 2016/3/13 3:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Abe_Froman wrote:

RUB... Burnt ends were great, baby backs and St. Louis as well. good wings, hush puppies, fried green tomatoes... even the weird stuff like pastrami and duck were awesome if in the mood.

And the special burger nights were awesome (Monday's). Gah, I'll never understand how this city chews up and spits out spots like that.

At one point I was hooked on the smoked duck, along with the superfries (thin french fries with bbq seasonings) and an order of the mixed greens, heaven.

Posted on: 2016/3/12 12:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
they lost months of business when some jackass in a stolen hummer crashed through their storefront. for whatever reason, ownership couldn't sustain it through that and they closed - not exactly 'ny chewing em up and spitting em out'

Posted on: 2016/3/12 0:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

RUB... Burnt ends were great, baby backs and St. Louis as well. good wings, hush puppies, fried green tomatoes... even the weird stuff like pastrami and duck were awesome if in the mood.

And the special burger nights were awesome (Monday's). Gah, I'll never understand how this city chews up and spits out spots like that.

Posted on: 2016/3/11 22:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Abe_Froman wrote:
Sidenote: I miss RUB, loved that place.

YES! I totally miss RUB. That was my favorite BBQ place in the city. Seriously great stuff. Walking past it was always a pleasure to get buffeted by the strong smell of smoked BBQ.

As with you, I am also rooting for DM. Their food is good. They are far away from everything, so I don't stop in often enough.

I also miss RUB it was my go to place for BBQ, they also had the best coleslaw and I loved their burnt ends.

Posted on: 2016/3/11 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Abe_Froman wrote:

YES! I totally miss RUB. That was my favorite BBQ place in the city. Seriously great stuff. Walking past it was always a pleasure to get buffeted by the strong smell of smoked BBQ.

As with you, I am also rooting for DM. Their food is good. They are far away from everything, so I don't stop in often enough.

Posted on: 2016/3/11 17:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Was it crowded? The last few items I have gone in there, it was pretty much empty, which made me wonder how they are staying in business. It is so far from everything, and the BBQ craze/fad seems to have worn off as of late.

Ordered for office delivery, which I would guess is a big part of their business. Food was as good as ever (IMO), still my favorite dry-rub pork ribs in the city.

Had wondered the same myself. With new spots popping up in seemingly every area of the city, DM no longer a destination. Hope they make is, do love the food and they were one of the pioneers for new generation NYC Q. Before that it was Virgil's or bust for me.

Posted on: 2016/3/11 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
i went yesterday in the early evening and... it wasn't bad, but nothing phenomenal.

I had the brisket, which was better than average, but not the best by any means. My order had 4 somewhat thick slices of lukewarm meat and 3 sandwich chip pickles that were completely unremarkable - they could've come straight from a jar for all i could tell. That's it. Not a carb to be found outside of the BBQ sauce on the table, which had a kind of weird taste to it. Not bad, and it went well with the brisket, but had an unfamiliar taste to it. Kinda sweet like a cherry.

The lack of a piece of bread made me order the only bread-like thing on the menu, which was the corn pudding. It's basically a really soft baked corn muffin/cornbread with chunks of corn in it.

The brisket, piece of cornbread and a drink came to $22.47. Upped that to 26 for a tip.

Suffice it to say I probably won't be going back for a while. It's not awful, but I expect a lot better food or a lot more bbq at that price point.

Wow, that sounds like a rip off. Thanks for this info.

Posted on: 2016/3/11 4:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i went yesterday in the early evening and... it wasn't bad, but nothing phenomenal.

I had the brisket, which was better than average, but not the best by any means. My order had 4 somewhat thick slices of lukewarm meat and 3 sandwich chip pickles that were completely unremarkable - they could've come straight from a jar for all i could tell. That's it. Not a carb to be found outside of the BBQ sauce on the table, which had a kind of weird taste to it. Not bad, and it went well with the brisket, but had an unfamiliar taste to it. Kinda sweet like a cherry.

The lack of a piece of bread made me order the only bread-like thing on the menu, which was the corn pudding. It's basically a really soft baked corn muffin/cornbread with chunks of corn in it.

The brisket, piece of cornbread and a drink came to $22.47. Upped that to 26 for a tip.

Suffice it to say I probably won't be going back for a while. It's not awful, but I expect a lot better food or a lot more bbq at that price point.

Posted on: 2016/3/11 4:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Abe_Froman wrote:
Quote:
I get everything you are saying, but you did ask what about their menu was not on point for a BBQ joint. All those things pointed out are distractions and definitely not "on point". But, if it works for them, awesome.

yeah i get it

had the Daisy May's beef rib earlier this week. still great.

Was it crowded? The last few items I have gone in there, it was pretty much empty, which made me wonder how they are staying in business. It is so far from everything, and the BBQ craze/fad seems to have worn off as of late.

Posted on: 2016/3/10 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I get everything you are saying, but you did ask what about their menu was not on point for a BBQ joint. All those things pointed out are distractions and definitely not "on point". But, if it works for them, awesome.

yeah i get it

had the Daisy May's beef rib earlier this week. still great.

Posted on: 2016/3/10 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Abe_Froman wrote:
yeah, well this is not BBQ country and there is no real tradition here. people complaining that things in NYC are not "authentic" for Q, or other regional specialties are just wasting their breath. Yeah, we know we are not in Texas eating at Salt Lick. Yeah, we are aware this is not the home of Ed Mitchel whole-hog. True, the best memphis style ribs are in memphis. Exactly, Big Bob Gibson's pulled pork in Alabama is better than anything here.

And? Which regional men should NYC area establishments be copying exactly? What happens if new dishes are created with Q that draw in people that might not otherwise be interested in a giant plate of meat?

I get your point, and personally that's how I eat (meat, piece of white bread, maybe a side or 2 to share). it's just not that big a deal around here if there are other dishes on the menu.

BBQ had a bit of a breakthrough in NYC about 20 years ago, with the Hog Pit in what was still a gritty, edgy Meatpacking District (before Pastis, Gansevoort Hotel and all the other upscale stuff there now!) and that was soon followed by Daisy May's (the carts were super popular when I used to work at 30 Rock) and of course there was Virgil's (the original NYC BBQ Palace) and a smattering of other places. Now we have the BBQ Block Party and a bunch of truly good places, and others that are decent options. BBQ still doesn't get much respect by foodies, but it can be surprisingly nuanced and lots of fun to enjoy with others. Of course, I am a fan.

Posted on: 2016/3/10 14:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Dinosaur's is really good BBQ. Their original location in Syracuse is a most-visit for 'cue aficionados. Their Rochester location is money, as well. The stuff they make at the restaurant is Texas style: smoked, with a dry rub. And, brisket reigns supreme. The location in Newark is OK, but not great. I much prefer the one in Harlem.

I guess I've only been to the Newark one, but have been super unimpressed with their BBQ. Their sauces are above average, good even, but their rub isn't very good and their meats have little smoke flavor.

Compared to Hill Country, Mighty Quinn's, Delaney... it's not even close.

Yeah, the Newark location is subpar. Definitely trek out to Harlem. Awful location (made even worse recently by construction all around it) but the food is definitely much better than in the Newark location. I do wonder if the Newark outpost is limited in how much smoking they can do on site because of its location within a building.

Posted on: 2016/3/10 14:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:
For a good BBQ experience, try Hill Country. Meat, a few traditional sides and desserts, and a simple bar list.

The meat is tender, has a good smoke ring, and a lot of flavor. That's the basis of the place, and the first priority.

Hill Country is indeed very good BBQ, particularly for those of us who prefer Texas-style. A nice touch is that they also serve Texas beers and wines, along with Big Red and Blue Bell ice-cream (all Texas "staples") which added to the "authenticity" level. They also fly their sausages from Kreutz Market in Lockhart, considered by most to be the best in the state.

Quote:

Looking at the photos, I don't know if I would call it real BBQ since the meat barely looks like any smoke touched it, and some of the Yelp photos of brisket make it look terribly dry. The portions also look tiny for a BBQ joint. BBQ meat cuts are much cheaper than steak and good roast cuts, so having a tiny portion of pork ribs or pulled pork is inexcusable. Even brisket is cheap wholesale (and they don't offer the point, just the flat).

The other dishes don't look out of place, so much as imply a Mexican style BBQ experience that depends on Texas brisket and Southern pork and ribs. The two seem to be at odds.

Agreed with you regarding the photos and portions. The meat looks "under smoked" and portions pitifully small for a BBQ joint.

Posted on: 2016/3/10 14:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The brisket at dinosaur isn't that good. Their wings are outstanding (wango tango sauce), the ribs are pretty good, the shrimp boil is a must have and if they have the salted potatoes special, get it.

Posted on: 2016/3/9 2:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Dinosaur's is really good BBQ. Their original location in Syracuse is a most-visit for 'cue aficionados. Their Rochester location is money, as well. The stuff they make at the restaurant is Texas style: smoked, with a dry rub. And, brisket reigns supreme. The location in Newark is OK, but not great. I much prefer the one in Harlem.

I guess I've only been to the Newark one, but have been super unimpressed with their BBQ. Their sauces are above average, good even, but their rub isn't very good and their meats have little smoke flavor.

Compared to Hill Country, Mighty Quinn's, Delaney... it's not even close.

Posted on: 2016/3/8 21:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
For a good BBQ experience, try Hill Country. Meat, a few traditional sides and desserts, and a simple bar list.

The meat is tender, has a good smoke ring, and a lot of flavor. That's the basis of the place, and the first priority.

Looking at the photos, I don't know if I would call it real BBQ since the meat barely looks like any smoke touched it, and some of the Yelp photos of brisket make it look terribly dry. The portions also look tiny for a BBQ joint. BBQ meat cuts are much cheaper than steak and good roast cuts, so having a tiny portion of pork ribs or pulled pork is inexcusable. Even brisket is cheap wholesale (and they don't offer the point, just the flat).

The other dishes don't look out of place, so much as imply a Mexican style BBQ experience that depends on Texas brisket and Southern pork and ribs. The two seem to be at odds.

Posted on: 2016/3/8 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
yeah, well this is not BBQ country and there is no real tradition here. people complaining that things in NYC are not "authentic" for Q, or other regional specialties are just wasting their breath. Yeah, we know we are not in Texas eating at Salt Lick. Yeah, we are aware this is not the home of Ed Mitchel whole-hog. True, the best memphis style ribs are in memphis. Exactly, Big Bob Gibson's pulled pork in Alabama is better than anything here.

And? Which regional men should NYC area establishments be copying exactly? What happens if new dishes are created with Q that draw in people that might not otherwise be interested in a giant plate of meat?

I get your point, and personally that's how I eat (meat, piece of white bread, maybe a side or 2 to share). it's just not that big a deal around here if there are other dishes on the menu.

Posted on: 2016/3/8 13:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Abe_Froman wrote:
regarding the menu... remove BBQ sandwiches? only non bbq (assuming belly is smoked) is the fried chix, which is is a menu item at Mighty Quinn (for comparison).

Regarding the tacos... also bbq based, and not completely out of the blue (see Mexique).

The only sandwiches you will find in a true, legit BBQ joint are: hamburgers, pulled pork, brisket and MAYBE also sausages and chicken ones. Usually those sandwiches are just the meats you would otherwise order by weight tossed in a bun or sliced white bread, with nary a topping beyond some onions on the side, and maybe a pickle spear. Of all the offerings in their menu, only the first sandwich more or less fits the mold. Tacos, even if stuffed with BBQ meats, are NOT BBQ. Mexique is just a fusion-type place, just like all those Thai/Chinese/Japanese joints we have here in JC.

Posted on: 2016/3/8 4:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
The sauces from Stubb's are pretty decent, and they come in several different "flavors". The original namesake restaurant is in Austin, and they do make some awesome BBQ.

Stubbs has been the reigning sauce in the house for a while, but it's not the best I've had. This could just be Q tinted glasses, but decades ago there used to be a BBQ place on 8th and 25th that sold their sauce and it was amazing. Can't recall the name...

Posted on: 2016/3/7 20:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
It can't possibly be a good sign that their head chef has already quit. But, if they do go under,

do these guys have deep pockets? assumed they did since the Inn is still alive... unless they are busy, assumed not since the food is arguably "not good at all".

regarding the menu... remove BBQ sandwiches? only non bbq (assuming belly is smoked) is the fried chix, which is is a menu item at Mighty Quinn (for comparison).

Regarding the tacos... also bbq based, and not completely out of the blue (see Mexique).

And I like the idea of queso chips (assuming that is chips with cheese sauce for dipping), as a bar snack or side with some Q... that said, I have deep love for cheese-fries/disco fries so may be in the minority.

Aaaaanyway.

Posted on: 2016/3/7 20:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:

Quote:

Abe_Froman wrote:
Quote:

"I agree with the chef that this place doesnt need a "Mexican Flare" in its offerings."

this can't be true... lol.

WTH!? It's like they don't understand BBQ at all.

It can't possibly be a good sign that their head chef has already quit. But, if they do go under, I wonder what it would take for someone like the aforementioned Dinosaur BBQ to come in and take over. Something similar happened when Atomic Wings closed up and the space was taken over by Bon Chon almost immediately.

Posted on: 2016/3/7 20:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Abe_Froman wrote:

Quote:

So ignoring any quality/price/authenticity debates, what exactly is wrong with this menu?

Looks more or less 'on point', with core BBQ staples and some good side/lighter options for anyone not craving a plate-full of meat.

Tacos ain't BBQ...

I would drop the tacos, the chips and queso, and maybe even most/all of the sandwiches. Just offer the BBQ meats, a few sides and maybe two or three desserts. And, maybe also keep the nachos. Not sure about 'kung pao wings" at a BBQ joint, either.

Posted on: 2016/3/7 20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
I think the trick is looking for the particular type that appeals most to your palate. In the case of BBQ styles, since I lived in Texas for quite some time, I am partial to dry rub, with smoky sauces. If you like tangy, non sweet sauce, look for North Carolina style sauces (usually red and runny, since it is vinegar based) but most commercial stuff is Kansas City style, which is that thick, sweet stuff. Memphis style is like a cross between KC and NC styles, with vinegar base but also includes molasses.

Thanks, that explains a lot, but most bottles don't list their provenance! I just shake them, look at the ingredients, and hope for the best. I kinda liked Dinosaur's, what is that Q?

Actually, often time the bottles will self-identify as "KC style" or "NC style". But, yes, sometimes it is a matter of trial and error, or going by reference/recommendations. The sauces from Stubb's are pretty decent, and they come in several different "flavors". The original namesake restaurant is in Austin, and they do make some awesome BBQ.

Posted on: 2016/3/7 20:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

So ignoring any quality/price/authenticity debates, what exactly is wrong with this menu?

Looks more or less 'on point', with core BBQ staples and some good side/lighter options for anyone not craving a plate-full of meat.

Posted on: 2016/3/7 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Mine is pretty similar, but I start with crushed tomatoes and use molasses as the major sweetener.

1 28 oz can cushed tomatoes
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup dark molasses
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 medium red onion, minced
3 garlic cloves, put through a press
1 thin slice ginger, smashed a bit
1 tbsp chili ancho powder
1 tsp kosher salt
10 grinds of pepper

Simmer for about 40 minutes, then add:

Splash of hot sauce of choice
1/4 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder

Simmer for 5 more min, and add a tbsp of butter and stir in to make it velvety. Fish out the ginger slice and use a stick blender if you want it perfectly smooth.

Quote:

Abe_Froman wrote:
Quote:

"I agree with the chef that this place doesnt need a "Mexican Flare" in its offerings."

this can't be true... lol.

WTH!? It's like they don't understand BBQ at all.

Posted on: 2016/3/7 17:36

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017