Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
94 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 94

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: What's going on with all the white t-shirts?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/1 12:54
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Totally, the white/undershirt look goes waaaay back. Its the oversized thing that is the new(ish) variation. Photobucket

Posted on: 2008/7/25 16:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/1 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
funny thing is, white t-shirt and jeans has been in style for years and years, they just choose to wear sizes WAY too big for their bodies. think of James Dean, nearly every photo you see of him is in a white t-shirt and jeans, the Fonz, The Outsiders, etc. Basically everyone in the 50's and 60's that owned a muscle car wore that exact outfit.......only they knew what size to buy........

their laundry loads must be HUGE!

Posted on: 2008/7/25 4:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Charini wrote:
My stepson goes to McNair High School. Many of his friends wear the big white t-shirts with jeans. These kids have all been accepted to Ivy League schools, many of them will be doctors and scientists. The thought of a bunch of classist "can't afford Manhattan" a-holes judging these kids as criminals is sickening.

Really? All of them? Scientists Huh? Oh Okay.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 2:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/11 7:36
Group:
Registered Users
My stepson goes to McNair High School. Many of his friends wear the big white t-shirts with jeans. These kids have all been accepted to Ivy League schools, many of them will be doctors and scientists. The thought of a bunch of classist "can't afford Manhattan" a-holes judging these kids as criminals is sickening.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 1:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/19 22:46
Group:
Registered Users
What I don't get is...

It's so freakin HOT outside.

How DO they do it?

The jeans look really heavy and in 102 degree weather.

I just wish they would take them off to me out of my misery!

Winter okay no problem but SUMMER??

Tooooooo hhhhooooooottttttttt!

Posted on: 2008/7/24 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
haha i'm so rockin a white tshirt at the meet n greet tonight if i make it.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
lets make the meet and greet a "White T-shirt and jeans" party.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 19:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MargieHague wrote:
In case anyone is interested, there is an entrepreneurial vendor who sets up a table outside of Montgomery Gardens, on Montgomery Street, every weekend, and sometimes during the week, with extra large white T-shirts, do-rags, solid color bandannas, sunglasses and belts. I'm not sure about the other public housing projects, but you can certainly get your gangsta-wear on Montgomery.

PS The white T-shirts come is multiple-X sizes such as XXL and XXXL and come several to a package.

Sweet! I think I'll go this weekend to buy my first XXL white T-shirt! It's about time I start dressing more fashionably...

Posted on: 2008/7/24 18:52

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/6 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
In case anyone is interested, there is an entrepreneurial vendor who sets up a table outside of Montgomery Gardens, on Montgomery Street, every weekend, and sometimes during the week, with extra large white T-shirts, do-rags, solid color bandannas, sunglasses and belts. I'm not sure about the other public housing projects, but you can certainly get your gangsta-wear on Montgomery.

PS The white T-shirts come is multiple-X sizes such as XXL and XXXL and come several to a package.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 18:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2008/7/24 18:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/5 13:19
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Its just a fad. They aren't all violent!

Posted on: 2008/7/14 19:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
NOW WAIT JUST A MINUTE!

are you suggesting that because of how they are dressed, that automatically means that they are violent?

isn't it wrong to assume that they wouldn't provide you with a concise, honest answer to the question???

Posted on: 2008/7/14 19:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trp3 wrote:
the best way to find out why all these people wear white T-shirts that are 3 sizes to big is to approach somebody wearing a white T-shirt that is 3 sizes to big, and ask, "why do you and your friends wear white T-shirts that are 3 sizes too big?"

Yes but will you make it back to tell the world what you know ??

Posted on: 2008/7/14 16:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
the best way to find out why all these people wear white T-shirts that are 3 sizes to big is to approach somebody wearing a white T-shirt that is 3 sizes to big, and ask, "why do you and your friends wear white T-shirts that are 3 sizes too big?"

Posted on: 2008/7/14 4:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CityGal wrote:
no matter how round and juicy his ass.

The words "juicy" and "ass" should never be used in the same sentence. Totally grosses me out.

Posted on: 2008/7/14 0:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
I just noticed this driving home from work today! All the white shirts! I always have known about the 'jail wear' that certain groups have adopted, that allow the room for guns and stuff - just never noticed them all being white. What a silly silly look for young men to be sporting! Way too baggy and so so ugly. I enjoy a nice tight crisp white tee shirt on men!

Posted on: 2008/7/13 22:56

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/14 11:04
Group:
Registered Users
LOL! You are certainly entitled to your feelings. But for what it is worth, thanks for reading it, blah blah blah.

Posted on: 2008/7/13 5:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
I got a headache trying to read that last post. I think we need some music in this thread. Quote:
CityGal wrote: I think those women that like their men showing their ass need to check themselves. Thank god my bf does not do that, no matter how round and juicy his ass. I need to be with a man that I can take home to my parents, be with in public and feel confident that he can dress appropriately and not try drawing attention to himself. I am completely independent from my parents, but I have no doubt in my mind that my parents would never stand for me dating someone that purposely shows his ass. Why do some guys do that? Excuse me if I offend anyone, but I can only see a man wanting to show his ass to attract another man. Bla bla bla I don't need any para breaks bla bla bla.

Posted on: 2008/7/13 4:45

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/14 11:04
Group:
Registered Users
I think those women that like their men showing their ass need to check themselves. Thank god my bf does not do that, no matter how round and juicy his ass. I need to be with a man that I can take home to my parents, be with in public and feel confident that he can dress appropriately and not try drawing attention to himself. I am completely independent from my parents, but I have no doubt in my mind that my parents would never stand for me dating someone that purposely shows his ass. Why do some guys do that? Excuse me if I offend anyone, but I can only see a man wanting to show his ass to attract another man. And quite honestly I have mostly have straight and gay male friends that are completely turned off by it. As a straight man my bf is disgusted by it. My bf is a very friendly man, but he would literally walk away from a men that would degrade themselves by showing their ass. My bf would never stand for me dressing inappropriately and I certainly do not have the desire. Of course what you do behind closed doors is okay, but when you put that out in pubic, I am offended. I personally know absolutely no one that has admittedly found that attractive. There is nothing better than seeing a man that is appropriately well dressed and I can still see his how nice his ass is without him being so literal. When I see my bf in his jeans, I just want to rip them off his body, but behind closed doors. Seeing a man's ass in public takes the fun out of taking the clothes off.

Posted on: 2008/7/13 2:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
This thread was about white t-shirts. This article is from the Cincinnati Enquirer from 2004 and proves my point about the XXXL T-shirt can be used as urban camo and that having a baggy shirt/pants helps conceal weapons.

"Police in Cincinnati and Lincoln Heights say there is no easy way to tell who wears the T-shirts for style and who wears them to evade police.

"It's a little bit of both. It's a fad but at the same time it's a tool they use to blend in and get away," said Cincinnati Police Sgt. Calvin Johnson, who also is the head varsity football coach at Aiken High School.

"They are hoping everyone sees the white shirt and doesn't pay attention to the facial characteristics or other things that might make it easier to identify a person," Johnson said.

Lincoln Heights Police Chief Ernie McCowen says the T-shirts are worn by street-level drug dealers or those who have committed assaults and break-ins.

"In the last year or two it's been a challenge. Twenty of them standing on the corner looking alike generates reasonable doubt," the chief said. "How does the police officer identify which in the 20 is selling the drugs? It's a tool and a tactic they use to confuse law enforcement and people who want to report drug dealers."

Both men dismiss a link in the T-shirt trend to gang activity, particularly in an age where many police agencies compile detailed databases of gang colors, symbols, clothes and other identifying factors.

But Cincinnati City Councilman Sam Malone, says he noticed the phenomenon in Avondale shortly after the April 2001 riots, including among a local gang.

Since then, it has spread to other communities, including Madisonville, Walnut Hills, Bond Hill, Roselawn, Price Hill, the West End and Over-the-Rhine. The trend offers gang members "perfect cover," Malone said.

Cincinnati police Officer Eric Smoot, who worked in the department's gang unit until it disbanded, also says he sees gang members wearing white T-shirts now.

"Because of initial gathering of intelligence and the identification of gang members, they changed their tactics," said Smoot, who patrols Over-the-Rhine. "Instead of being readily identified by each other and other people as a terror tactic, now they immerse themselves in the crowd so they won't be identified."

But teens in Roselawn and Bond Hill said they wear the shirts because they are cool, comfortable and in style.

"It goes with everything I have," said Sean McFadgen, 14, of Avondale, as he left the Deveroes store at Swifton Commons Mall in Bond Hill. "Everybody started wearing them like a fad."

His father, Lewis McFadgen, says he is not concerned about the negative side of the trend because his son wears the shirt for fashion and is rarely, if ever, in high-crime areas.

Sporting the shirts is OK, said McFadgen, 41, "at the appropriate time and the appropriate place. And as long as he understands that, I am comfortable with it."

One school district in Charlotte, N.C. - the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools - has banned solid-colored T-shirts to curtail gang problems.

The rule evolved in the past year after large groups of students began wearing white, pink and other colors of T-shirts that were associated with gangs, said school spokeswoman Jerri Haigler.

Except for some schools that already have uniform dress codes that ban all T-shirts, no white T-shirt bans have been imposed in local schools.

Officials at Cincinnati Public Schools and Lakota Local Schools in Butler County say the trend hasn't been a problem.

The shirts have been a minor concern at Princeton High School and some middle schools in that district. However, the fad does not appear gang-related and a formal policy banning the shirts probably won't be adopted, says superintendent Aaron Mackey.

"If we do see it appearing often with the same kind of kids that seem to congregate together, we do talk to them about that and it usually takes care of it," Mackey said.

Some parents say concerns over white T-shirts are overblown.

Patricia Carson, founder of a group to help parents cope with the violent death of their children - EMPTY (Endless Mothers Pain For Today's Youth) Inc. - says she buys white T-shirts for her 15-year-old grandson.

"I buy them because they are cheap," said Carson, 53. "Walgreens has them now five for $10."

Posted on: 2008/7/11 22:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Skadave wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Skadave wrote:
It's not urban camo, it's not trying to emulate prison garb, and it's not gang clothing, it's FASHION. It's the same reason you wore Z-Cavaricci's in 1989.

Sadly naive. This stuff doesn't appear from nowhere. Besides the baggy falling down prison garb, the Northface down jackets and Timberland boots stem from dealers trying to keep warm standing all night long on their corners.

I do love the idea of prisoners being issued topsiders, khakis and a nice polo shirt as a program for social change. Dress for success: fake it till you make it!

I think it's naive to think that every hip-hop fashion trend is based on crime.

Do you even believe you own bullsh!t? It's almost like a game, let's take a fashion trend and link it to a criminal act! Sounds like fun!

Can you explain the carhardt/dickies phase of the early-mid nineties? Can you explain how the hightop fade is coming back into style? Can you explain why people were wearing enormous baseball hats with the flat brims and the new era sticker still on it? Or the throwback jersey phase of the late 90's? Or the whole pajama pant fiasco of last year? Please tell me, you obviously have your finger on the pulse of hip-hop culture, and know more about this than I. Please enlighten me with more wisdom.

I completely agree with Skadave, this is just typical stereotyping that has gone on for decades. Poodle skirts; bobby socks; rock and roll; ti -dye; longhair on men; short hair on women; 2nd piecing in ones ear....I can go on and on to bring it up to current trends the infamous White T's and baggy pants.

I find this all so humorous.. that the folks "labeling" fashion trends, most likely were labeled when they were teens.
And the cycle continues------> you just became your parents, who became their parents, who became their parents...and so on, and so on!

Posted on: 2008/7/11 21:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/6 19:03
Group:
Registered Users
It is true though that most all fashion trends originate from the street, not necessarily drug dealers and criminals but young kids who are into music, indy culture, etc. I don't know how you can argue that kids are NOT emulating criminals (drug dealers, gang members). Come on, that's obvious. To say all trends start that way, no, but some?? Absolutely.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 21:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/15 3:01
From Maplewood
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Skadave wrote:
It's not urban camo, it's not trying to emulate prison garb, and it's not gang clothing, it's FASHION. It's the same reason you wore Z-Cavaricci's in 1989.

Sadly naive. This stuff doesn't appear from nowhere. Besides the baggy falling down prison garb, the Northface down jackets and Timberland boots stem from dealers trying to keep warm standing all night long on their corners.

I do love the idea of prisoners being issued topsiders, khakis and a nice polo shirt as a program for social change. Dress for success: fake it till you make it!

I think it's naive to think that every hip-hop fashion trend is based on crime.

Do you even believe you own bullsh!t? It's almost like a game, let's take a fashion trend and link it to a criminal act! Sounds like fun!

Can you explain the carhardt/dickies phase of the early-mid nineties? Can you explain how the hightop fade is coming back into style? Can you explain why people were wearing enormous baseball hats with the flat brims and the new era sticker still on it? Or the throwback jersey phase of the late 90's? Or the whole pajama pant fiasco of last year? Please tell me, you obviously have your finger on the pulse of hip-hop culture, and know more about this than I. Please enlighten me with more wisdom.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 21:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Skadave wrote:

Tommy Hilfiger is really pissed off right now.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 20:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Skadave wrote:

Posted on: 2008/7/11 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SalOnTheHill wrote:

I caught the facetious smiley in your first post. I was high-fiving the resident racist-xenophobe who didn't. No offense toward you intended, Binky.

Thank you. I feel better now.

For the record, let me say that I suspect that the kids keep their Tees white by hand-washing them everyday, and they are neater in their habits than I am.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
I think they're 5 for $19.99 at Footlocker

Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Here's my question: how do they keep their t-shirts so white and crisp? Never see any yellow pit stains or anything. Remarkable!

Posted on: 2008/7/11 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I agree and perhaps the idea of it being 'urban camo' is secondary but to deny it isn't an effective getaway tool is crazy in my opinion.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 15:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/15 3:01
From Maplewood
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/7/11 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have lived in a number or urban cities and in each of them over the years I have, from time to time, seen throngs of kids in XXXL white t-shirts scatter after something had gone down. In JC, around 3 nights ago, I saw 4 or 5 teenagers sprinting down the road all wearing XXXL white T-shirts. Perhaps they were on a track team and were out for a late night training run....whatever. The point is, if someone had asked me what they looked like I would have said, "4 or 5 bright white blurs."
It's the perfect cover.

Dark wrote:
Just to reinforce the serious answer someone else gave calling it urban camo:
The large baggy white shirt and jeans look has its roots in thug/drug dealer culture. Giving the description of "Black male in baggy white tshirt and jeans" loses a lot of power when there is an entire group of them wearing that outfit.

Its trickled down to impressionable youth, suburban and urban.[/quote]

Posted on: 2008/7/11 15:32

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017