Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
147 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 147

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: How can JC become the best mid-sized city in the US?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I thought the notion that we can improve the city by throwing out poor people and replacing them with wealthier people went without saying...

I used to live in Manhattan - on paper I am comfortably middle class, own my own condo, etc. - and was priced out when it came time for my 'own' apartment. Is Manhattan better for pricing me out in favor of yet another parentally subsidized 20-something?
Quote:
That said, you have to have a city wealthy people want to live in first. Outside of downtown that doesn't exist and in downtown there's plenty of room for improvement. Developing the embankment into a Jersey City version of the High Line would be fantastic.

I completely agree - almost. In the Heights there is a push to make live/work spaces for artists, and a lot of condominiums affordable by younger people starting out, much as I expect there is in DTJC. We need the mix to keep things vibrant

Quote:
Oh yes, and we should work to end affordable housing programs. What is that nonsense anyway?

Agreed, if you mean Section 8, homeless shelters, etc. But they recently finished subsidized condos in the Heights for retired civil servants and it's really nice.

Posted on: 2014/8/7 18:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
Start by paving MLK Blvd.

Posted on: 2014/8/6 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
The 'best' mid-sized city is one that can cater to everyone's needs - everyone's socioeconomic standing with 'best' services, infrastructure, transport, housing, schooling, job opportunity, medical care etc etc.
The question isn't about how to be the more affluent city with private clubs and gated communities - That's simply not reality and more to do with elitism. A 'best' city is more about equality not inequality for its residents.

This said, I believe its policies in politics that cause the equality or inequality of outcomes and opportunities for its community - which in turn promotes a 'best' city.

Sorry, but no. Most of the "best" of anything is unaffordable for most people. That is life. When I say I want the "best" car or to ski at the "best" resort, I don't mean a car that maximally caters to the normal man or the ski resort that is most affordable to the average Joe. Similarly, when I say I want JC to be the "best" mid-sized city I don't mean one that is most affordable. I mean flat out the best which is inherently contrary to the notion of "cheap." And ask me how much most affluent people really care about "equality." Go on...

George Orwell said it best in 1984. Something to the effect of there have always been three kinds of people in this world: high, middle, and low. The goal of the middle is to change places with the high. The goal of the high is to stay where they are. If the low even have a goal - because they frequently are distracted with other pursuits - it is for true equality.

Of these groups, only the low are not even temporarily successful in achieving their goal. While the general standard of living has increased across the board over time, nothing that has happened in world history has ever brought human equality an inch closer.

Posted on: 2014/8/6 0:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
The 'best' mid-sized city is one that can cater to everyone's needs - everyone's socioeconomic standing with 'best' services, infrastructure, transport, housing, schooling, job opportunity, medical care etc etc.
The question isn't about how to be the more affluent city with private clubs and gated communities - That's simply not reality and more to do with elitism. A 'best' city is more about equality not inequality for its residents.

This said, I believe its policies in politics that cause the equality or inequality of outcomes and opportunities for its community - which in turn promotes a 'best' city.

Sorry, but no. Most of the "best" of anything is unaffordable for most people. That is life. When I say I want the "best" car or to ski at the "best" resort, I don't mean a car that maximally caters to the normal man or the ski resort that is most affordable to the average Joe. Similarly, when I say I want JC to be the "best" mid-sized city I don't mean one that is most affordable. I mean flat out the best which is inherently contrary to the notion of "cheap." And ask me how much most affluent people really care about "equality." Go on...

Sorry, but no. Your logic devilsadvocate of 'best' city is ass backwards.

http://livability.com/best-places-to-live-ranking-criteria

Posted on: 2014/8/6 0:01
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
For the record, Jersey City does border Manhattan (the border is in the center of the Hudson), and I definitely spelled judgmental properly: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/judgmental

Posted on: 2014/8/5 22:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Details are everything. Your Kindle "plan" sounds good on paper, but ultimately is a complete failure in practice.

Hoboken tried a similar program, to disastrous results. Precisely because they may have thought like you: details schmetails. Who wants to be bothered with them?

http://www.wnyc.org/story/why-hoboken ... -all-its-student-laptops/

Hoboken failed. Ok. Let's give up. Let's hand out Amplify tablets.That's going to work. ffs.

John Ruskin said it best over 100 years ago-'Education does not mean teaching people to know what they do not know. It means teaching them to behave as they do not behave'.

Sadly, that may be impossible in these parts for many.

Posted on: 2014/8/5 22:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

Posted on: 2014/8/5 22:01

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/11 16:12
From New Jersey
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

somedumbguy wrote:
I'm judging you for misspelling "judgemental", haha. I'm also questioning your use of "literally" in that JC does not literally border Manhattan. It borders the Hudson.

Wow, your really live up to your username. Rivers are borders all over the world, they're natural lines of demarcation. Does NJ not border PA because of the Delaware?

That's true. But in this case the Hudson demarcates the border of the state of NJ and the state of NY. Thus you see a state line in the middle of the river. In any case, I was questioning the use of the word "literally", because no matter what view you have of the standards of demarcation, JC does not literally border Manhattan.

EDIT: I take it back, evidently JC does extend to the middle of the Hudson (presumably Manhattan similarly extends to the middle, though I have not verified this). Mea culpa.

Posted on: 2014/8/5 17:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 18:29
Group:
Registered Users
Uh..tourists travel by planes from Norway, France, Germany, Italy...they stay in JC because it's cheap and they DON'T NEED A CAR!

Posted on: 2014/8/5 16:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

somedumbguy wrote:
I'm judging you for misspelling "judgemental", haha. I'm also questioning your use of "literally" in that JC does not literally border Manhattan. It borders the Hudson.

Wow, your really live up to your username. Rivers are borders all over the world, they're natural lines of demarcation. Does NJ not border PA because of the Delaware?

As I've said elsewhere, I don't think DTJC or even JC deserves the "6th" label, it's Hudson County as a whole that has the size to qualify. There is not much primary economic activity in Hudson (money coming in from out of the county rather than locals buying local services) that is not related to it's proximity to NYC. Some areas are poorer in both transit and literally, but the same is true of much of the 4 outer boroughs.

Posted on: 2014/8/5 16:42

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/11 16:12
From New Jersey
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Jersey City is just not a standalone city, and literally never will be, so there are very few "mid sized cities" in the US that you can fairly compare it to. Jersey City is an extremely dense, extremely urban city that literally borders the most iconic borough of the most iconic city on the planet. In fact, there is almost certainly no other comparison in the United States with all of these dynamics, especially when you consider the state borders.

It is located on the border of a very misunderstood, identity-crisis-laden state (NJ), and a city/state that is very judgemental (NY). Sorry to say, Jersey City's best chance at a true identity might be the tag "Sixth Borough".

I don't use that term, by the way (does anybody, really??). And I think the 6th Borough term truly is only appropriate for Downtown Jersey City. In my opinion, the rest of Jersey City largely does not have any real cultural or physical connection to NYC. Of course there are some exceptions, like Journal Square, and the Heights to some degree, although transportation is an issue (so maybe the Heights is equivalent to Staten Island in borough-ness? Haha).

Posted on: 2014/8/5 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City is just not a standalone city, and literally never will be, so there are very few "mid sized cities" in the US that you can fairly compare it to. Jersey City is an extremely dense, extremely urban city that literally borders the most iconic borough of the most iconic city on the planet. In fact, there is almost certainly no other comparison in the United States with all of these dynamics, especially when you consider the state borders.

It is located on the border of a very misunderstood, identity-crisis-laden state (NJ), and a city/state that is very judgemental (NY). Sorry to say, Jersey City's best chance at a true identity might be the tag "Sixth Borough".

I don't use that term, by the way (does anybody, really??). And I think the 6th Borough term truly is only appropriate for Downtown Jersey City. In my opinion, the rest of Jersey City largely does not have any real cultural or physical connection to NYC. Of course there are some exceptions, like Journal Square, and the Heights to some degree, although transportation is an issue (so maybe the Heights is equivalent to Staten Island in borough-ness? Haha).

Posted on: 2014/8/5 6:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Details are everything. Your Kindle "plan" sounds good on paper, but ultimately is a complete failure in practice.

Hoboken tried a similar program, to disastrous results. Precisely because they may have thought like you: details schmetails. Who wants to be bothered with them?

Hoboken failed. Ok. Let's give up. Let's hand out Amplify tablets.That's going to work. ffs.

I never said that. Nor do I know anything about Amplify or these tablets. If you read the article, it's likely these Amplify tablets would fail for the same reasons.

Namely, there is no point in giving these gadgets to JC kids who will treat them like shit and will get no benefit out of them. The underlying homelife culture is terrible, so placing expensive toys in the hands of people who don't care about them will quickly lead to ruin. And I'd guess the school culture in Hoboken is better than JC, and that still failed.

By the same logic, no point in giving them books? Right?

Nope, try again.

Posted on: 2014/8/5 3:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

I never said that. Nor do I know anything about Amplify or these tablets. If you read the article, it's likely these Amplify tablets would fail for the same reasons.

Namely, there is no point in giving these gadgets to JC kids who will treat them like shit and will get no benefit out of them. The underlying homelife culture is terrible, so placing expensive toys in the hands of people who don't care about them will quickly lead to ruin. And I'd guess the school culture in Hoboken is better than JC, and that still failed.

By the same logic, no point in giving them books? Right?

Posted on: 2014/8/5 3:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/8/5 3:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/8/5 2:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

So Amplify is created to begin to take education out of the Stone Age, but you oppose it??

Honestly? You don't see the problem with Amplify?

You cannot proscribe education. You cannot dictate. The biggest motivator for Americans is to tell them they can't do something, then get out of their way.

Yes. Amplify sucks. NJ doesn't need prescriptive Cerfdom. Get out of they way of teachers, students and their goals. Give then unlimited access to books, ways of thinking, education and opportunities. The US has never been a "nanny-state", and it's only tools like you that think it should be.

Posted on: 2014/8/5 2:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Other than giving kids access to ebooks (I assume all the schools already have libraries) this doesn't change a thing about how JC presently educates children (with an abysmal graduation rate coupled with a per student cost 25% over the state average).

And what would be the over/under of these tablets being returned and/or reused for the next year? From what I read here some of the schools outside downtown don't have schoolbooks and toilet paper-who's paying for the Kindle stuff?

You are asking details. Bottom line - "who cares"? Kids can lose hard-copies as easily as a Kindle HD. At a $100 a pop or less, introduce any control you like. Software like "Prey.com" exists to disable lost hardware. Book subs can be reassigned to other students. With a little business savvy this could be negotiated as an "all-in" price with Amazon, Barnes and Noble, or whoever.

Think you, the BOE and teachers, are comfortable with the stone-age of education. Perhaps it's time to move out of that.

Posted on: 2014/8/5 2:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Other than giving kids access to ebooks (I assume all the schools already have libraries) this doesn't change a thing about how JC presently educates children (with an abysmal graduation rate coupled with a per student cost 25% over the state average).

And what would be the over/under of these tablets being returned and/or reused for the next year? From what I read here some of the schools outside downtown don't have schoolbooks and toilet paper-who's paying for the Kindle stuff?

You are asking details. Bottom line - "who cares"? Kids can lose hard-copies as easily as a Kindle HD. At a $100 a pop or less, introduce any control you like. Software like "Prey.com" exists to disable lost hardware. Book subs can be reassigned to other students. With a little business savvy this could be negotiated as an "all-in" price with Amazon, Barnes and Noble, or whoever.

Think you, the BOE and teachers, are comfortable with the stone-age of education. Perhaps it's time to move out of that.

So Amplify is created to begin to take education out of the Stone Age, but you oppose it??

Posted on: 2014/8/5 2:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2014/8/5 1:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
If you attend the board meetings, as you know public comments are not aired, you will hear teachers from schools in Greenville and elsewhere complaining their have no books or their schools have no heat. The money is being earmarked downtown, it is not being spread around evenly. I was shocked to hear these comments.

Teachers and parents should be challenging why the BOE is considering "Cerf-dom" and buying Amplify, over simply giving out free Kindle HDs and unlimited book subscriptions to every kid.

$200/year, less than %1 of the JC BOE's budget ($20k+/kid), would give every single kid in JC, a Kindle HD and unlimited subscription to over 600,000 books with Kindle Unlimited, including the educational ones.

I'm not a parent. But there sure seems to be a lot of dumb-f**ks in public ed wasting our tax dollars.

http://www.amplify.com/
http://www.amazon.com/kindle-fire-hd- ... kids-tablet/dp/B00CU0NSCU
http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=9578129011

Posted on: 2014/8/5 1:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
If you attend the board meetings, as you know public comments are not aired, you will hear teachers from schools in Greenville and elsewhere complaining their have no books or their schools have no heat. The money is being earmarked downtown, it is not being spread around evenly. I was shocked to hear these comments.

Teachers and parents should be challenging why the BOE is considering "Cerf-dom" and buying Amplify, over simply giving out free Kindle HDs and unlimited book subscriptions to every kid.

$200/year, less than %1 of the JC BOE's budget ($20k+/kid), would give every single kid in JC, a Kindle HD and unlimited subscription to over 600,000 books with Kindle Unlimited, including the educational ones.

I'm not a parent. But there sure seems to be a lot of dumb-f**ks in public ed wasting our tax dollars.

http://www.amplify.com/
http://www.amazon.com/kindle-fire-hd- ... kids-tablet/dp/B00CU0NSCU
http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=9578129011

Posted on: 2014/8/5 1:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/4 22:02
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Does gentrification reduce crime when the poor are forced out ?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-ro ... will-reduc_b_4296151.html

Of course, and it is stupid to suggest otherwise. Visit gentrified neighborhoods before and after and ignore dumb articles from liberal rags.

I do agree with the article in that being close to poor people is generally bad.

I wish you good health devilsadvocate, as many I know have lost their's and unable to work even though they are highly qualified in a trade, professional or have served this nation. Sickness and / or injury place these types of people in your 'poor' category and I would place them and others with other physical or mental aliments in the same boat. I also don't consider any of them as criminals because of their misfortune.

JC has done very little to cater for the low end of our socioeconomic scale, yet these are the same people that make your coffee, pack your bags at the grocery store or fill up your cars. Where do you expect we get cheap labor from ? We can't do what Nike does and manufacturer abroad !

I suggest that the true evaluation of a great city is also based on how they manage and provide for their lower income communities - JC lacks that balance

The topic in the first paragraph is a serious one, and not one I'm ready to tackle here. However, these cases account for a minority of the poor. Personally, this is why I carry disability insurance.

To the rest - I expect them to commute from a more suitable area. I commute, why can't they? Who said there is a right to live right where you work?

As to your evaluation of "great cities" I'm going to strongly disagree. A great city is one that everyone wants to live in even if few can afford to. It is a premium, luxury good. And just as not everyone can afford a Porsche or a $5k purse or a vacation in the French Riviera, not everyone can afford to live in expensive portions of great cities. My question is why would anyone expect otherwise?

Posted on: 2014/8/4 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Extend the light-rail from DTJC (Path Station), Hoboken and Bayonne to Newark Airport!

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/8/4 15:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
OOH how could I have forgotten one of the most important things?!?!

We could have a "JC circulator"; a FREE bus service that connected the neighborhoods that are not connected by existing public transportation. I came across the Charm City Circulator in Baltimore when I visited them recently. It's a great idea as Baltimore has abysmal parking AND public transportation.

Here's more info about it.

http://www.charmcitycirculator.com/

Posted on: 2014/8/4 14:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

But the problem is that the rest of this country isn't set up like that. So if JC wants to attract visitors, it either has to have direct NJT access or have parking spaces available for visitors for a reasonable cost.

I kind of agree and disagree. I think we need to be able to attract visitors. Here's how we can do that:

1. Create a haven for restaurants where people from neighboring areas (probably not Manhattan) come and visit. There is a great surge in the restaurants in the area and hopefully this will help.

2. Create nightlife where people from surrounding areas (again, probably not Manhattan) come in for something different. We see this with Hoboken. People from all over go to Hoboken to go bar hopping, to go to the St. Pattys parade etc. This is something we can work on.

3. Create an anchor for culture and art. I think JC is doing a great job with the art culture. We are trying to bring in live music with the Lowes and the White Eagle Hall. It will take a while but it may help with local "tourism".

4. Make LSP a destination. Connect the existing Embankment to LSP or do something with both. LSP has tried to have events such as the Polo match and 4th of July fireworks but we can make it better. Ferris wheel or not. Somehow connect Liberty Science Center with LSP (trolley? the tram idea was shot down).

5. Create recreation for teenagers and kids. People from all over Brooklyn go to the Aviator Sports and Events Center. they have an indoor arcade, rock climbing, bowling (i think) etc. We could use something like this in the area for sure.

I'm sure for a "tourism" perspective, there are many other things we can do. I have merely listed a few things.

As for the parking scenario, I agree we need parking however, since we already have many lots downtown, and that's where most of the action is, at the moment (the waterfront, the bars/restaurants, LSP), there isn't a need for additional parking (and you can take the PATH) ... unless we boost these areas so much that we need the additional parking.

Posted on: 2014/8/4 14:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Does gentrification reduce crime when the poor are forced out ?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-ro ... will-reduc_b_4296151.html

Of course, and it is stupid to suggest otherwise. Visit gentrified neighborhoods before and after and ignore dumb articles from liberal rags.

I do agree with the article in that being close to poor people is generally bad.

I wish you good health devilsadvocate, as many I know have lost their's and unable to work even though they are highly qualified in a trade, professional or have served this nation. Sickness and / or injury place these types of people in your 'poor' category and I would place them and others with other physical or mental aliments in the same boat. I also don't consider any of them as criminals because of their misfortune.

JC has done very little to cater for the low end of our socioeconomic scale, yet these are the same people that make your coffee, pack your bags at the grocery store or fill up your cars. Where do you expect we get cheap labor from ? We can't do what Nike does and manufacturer abroad !

I suggest that the true evaluation of a great city is also based on how they manage and provide for their lower income communities - JC lacks that balance

Posted on: 2014/8/3 22:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
I know that at PS 3 (downtown) a couple of years ago the Kindergarten teachers had no supplies even though they were ordered and paid for because they got lost in the storage area and no one could be bothered to look for them until the parents complained. It turns out it was an ongoing issue for years and impacted many classrooms. I believe the new administration cleared up those type of problems.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are similar issues at some other JC schools that haven't been addressed because the parents there don't demand it.

Posted on: 2014/8/3 19:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Then the parents should be raising holy hell with their city council reps, and storming the Board of Ed offices with pitchforks and torches.

Posted on: 2014/8/3 19:02

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017