Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
38 user(s) are online (19 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 37

Wishful_Thinking, more...


Forum Index


Board index » All Posts (devilsadvocate)




Re: Buying to live in Bergen-Lafayette a good idea?
#1
Home away from home
Home away from home


Simple question with a simple answer: no, it is not a good idea.

Posted on: 3/14 17:15
Top


Re: Dogs need fences
#2
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Yeah, I dunno.

It really does seem like the dog owner's responsibility to take care of their dog, and part of that means proper containment. It shouldn't be up to everyone else to properly contain someone else's dog.

Further, if the neighbor's dog(s) destroyed his fence, it seems like it would be the neighbor's responsibility to fix it.

Sounds like it is the neighbor that is the problem.

I don't know the laws in most other cities. Obviously the law isn't going to change fast enough to address the situation, so the OP has no choice but to make a solid fence on his property.

But the OP may be right. Perhaps the law does have to change.


You must not have read the thread. If the dogs destroyed their fence then they can sue in small claims court. You obviously don't know what the law is, so why are you proposing that it change?

Posted on: 3/8 23:43
Top


Re: Dogs need fences
#3
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Consumed wrote:
why?

Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
[quote]


People like this are the worst.


Going after people's dogs because they don't like them? I can't think of worse human beings than that.

Posted on: 3/8 22:42
Top


Re: New Residents Please Get Involved In Your New Home
#4
Home away from home
Home away from home


Also, for the animal lovers: Liberty Humane Society is our animal shelter and humane society, and they need volunteers and donors desperately.

Posted on: 3/8 18:11
Top


Re: Best internet or internet+tv options
#5
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

mtesalona wrote:
Verizon - by far - is giving the best service in Jersey City right now.

We're not doing any cable service, mind you, just the Internet and cell phone service which is especially attractive these days as you can hop on one of those $45 a month unlimited talk text data plans.

I only spend half my time working from home (other half is at Indiegrove downtown) but I've never had any issues with connectivity or strength of signal.


Yeah, same. Everything is relative, but I'm paying for 75/75 and regularly getting like 83-85mbps both up and down.

Posted on: 3/8 17:04
Top


Re: Dogs need fences
#6
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Consumed wrote:
you posted this on the nextdoor forums. you received a ton of good ideas / solutions but you deleted the post when you were confronted with the similar vibe you are getting here.

yes i agree the dogs should be corralled or contained. neighbor already said no. you have an option to put up a small non temporary fence to the area where they can jump over. you either dont want to pay for the fence or you have other issues with neighbor and really dont care about what you are complaining about.

you can not force someone to do something on their property. if you are the one who is afraid then you put the fence on your property. by the pictures it looks like it is just your deck that meets their deck to where they can jump over. you were directed to buy a couple of fence poles, wood fasteners for fence posts to bolt down to your deck and fencing material. what is so complicated. you and a friend can do this in about 2 hours with no construction skills or pay a handyman to do it for you. a petition is not going to do anything.

also in your first try at the petition you complained about them having parties and loud music. sounds like you are using the dogs as an excuse to get back at them.


People like this are the worst.

Posted on: 3/8 16:53
Top


Re: Dogs need fences
#7
Home away from home
Home away from home


I absolutely will not sign your petition that you're using for a petty squabble with your neighbors.

Posted on: 3/8 12:39
Top


Re: Best internet or internet+tv options
#8
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

anonymess wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
It sounds like your router settings might be wrong or your router might just need to be replaced -- they can fail -- but try unplugging it for 15 minutes.


Nobody believes me, oh well. Two technicians said it was the equipment that serves 20 units, installed in 2011. At times I get 50mbs but it averages 20% or 25% less. I hadn't checked the speed for years so this may have been the case for a long time. The only reason I recently checked was because downloading some large files, something I don't often do, was extremely slow.

Anyway, went through the entire drill and more with Verizon on the phone - reset modem, router, unplugged both for 5 minutes, changed all cables, etc.


Did they schedule an actual service visit? If you want something to happen (changing wiring, trying a new router, etc.), you need techs to come out.

Posted on: 3/1 14:20
Top


Re: Best internet or internet+tv options
#9
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
I hate talking about this stuff; it only gets me riled up.

But... I had a problem with FIOS. The speed was a fraction of what it was supposed to be. Long story short... the tech came out, did a temporary fix and the speed is better, though not what I'm paying for. As it turns out, the equipment is already outdated (installed 6 years ago) and needs to be updated. I live in a mid-size condo bldg. and building mgmt has no idea who to contact at Verizon. They tried.

In any event, I don't want to pay for a speed I don't get. I spoke with seemingly someone at Verizon who gave a hoot, a supervisor in tech support. He said he would deal with the upgrade issue as well as having someone from billing call to adjust my account. He also left a number where I could reach him, though he said he would contact me the next day, a week ago now. Never happened. The phone number he gave me just rings endlessly.

Par for the course, nothing promised happened. Billing tells me there's nothing they can do and no one knows who the heck to talk to about upgrading the equipment for my section of the building. I've banged my head against the wall enough times with Verizon FIOS and don't feel like jumping through hoops again. However, it's highway robbery to have to pay for an Internet speed that they cannot provide. Unfortunately, the only competition is just as bad, if not worse. Help!


Actually, your issue is most likely with the building, but not its wiring or the equipment installed in 2010/2011. As you know, we used to be neighbors, and I started having issues with FiOS connectivity after they started renting roof space to the cell repeating antennas, which causes interference with wireless networks. I know it was that because, if I connected to the router via hardwire (direct cable connection to the router) I could get the advertised 25/25 speed, but as soon as I went to wireless, the signal would drop to 5 Mbps, sometimes 1 Mbps. Before blaming it on FiOS, or the building wiring, I would rule out the interference issue. PM me if you need some more information or help.


Yep, and that's the first step. Connect directly to the router via ethernet and see what speeds you're getting. Totally different set of issues if the problem is the wifi.

Posted on: 2/28 17:37
Top


Re: ADOPTED RESCUE MASTIFF DOG ATTACKS, KILLS ELDERLY WOMAN IN QUEENS
#10
Home away from home
Home away from home


So is your point that it only took one Mastiff to kill an adult, as opposed to two pit bulls to kill a child or what?

In any event, dogs can kill. My two Mastiff breed dogs can easily kill pretty much anyone without a weapon. Guess how many break ins I've had? Guess how nervous these news stories make me?

You guys just aren't too bright with this stuff. Therefore, you probably shouldn't be getting large, powerful dogs.


Posted on: 2/18 10:57
Top


Re: Hoboken Announces Procedures for 100 Units New Affordable Housing
#11
Home away from home
Home away from home


Makes me happy I'm not living in Hoboken. The last thing we need is more city sponsored welfare.

Posted on: 2/17 20:50
Top


Re: ADOPTED RESCUE MASTIFF DOG ATTACKS, KILLS ELDERLY WOMAN IN QUEENS
#12
Home away from home
Home away from home


So remember how recently a bunch of people were ranting about banning pit bulls and I noted that a TON of dog breeds kill people and that pretty much any large dog can easily kill a person? Here's an example.

Posted on: 2/17 20:49
Top


Re: Glue Vandalism On Locks
#13
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

tinydancer116 wrote:
Sounds like a drunk guy from the Latin Lounge. I heard the place is closing down soon thankfully....that bar has been a nightmare in this city for decades!


So a random drunk dude just happens to be carrying around superglue in case he feels like screwing with some homeowners in his drunken haze? Oh, he must also not be white and has to be connected to one of the few non-white bars in the neighborhood.

Very nice veiled racism. You must be on the VNA board.


LOL @ this ridiculous outrage. Yes, lets pretend that a place everyone knows is the source of problems isn't because saying that it is is RACIST!

Also, what is the VNA board?

Posted on: 2/7 14:51
Top


Re: Glue Vandalism On Locks
#14
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
There are very few low-cost home security options unless you are tech savvy. Over the years - the most dependable and low-cost (relatively) diy system for me - has been my logitech alert system.

Other things you might try:
- Cable/internet provider - might have something.
- Canary: Blurb is promising. Personally wouldn't trust it. https://canary.is/flex/
- Blue Iris: http://blueirissoftware.com/ - you need to be tech savv. Set up your own server...


There are absolutely tons of cheap security cams. Here are a few:

- https://smile.amazon.com/Kodak-CFH-V15 ... ce-Security/dp/B00WBU3HU2
- https://smile.amazon.com/Arlo-Security ... ree-Outdoor/dp/B00QH0Q8J4

Another solution (that will work with the above) is to setup a smart lock system - either using codes or smartphones.

Posted on: 2/7 14:48
Top


Re: Jersey City rally in support of immigrants
#15
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
So the people were getting amped up over the 'Muslim registration list' that no one has, or would, suggest? Jeez, snowflakes, have some cocoa and calm down.


Can you explain why this isn't a Muslim ban?


I think it might be because we're continuing to let in Muslims.

Posted on: 2/1 20:25
Top


Re: Trump Our New President
#16
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
Quote:

neverleft wrote:

Time to come together.


Kinda tough to come together when an SNL writer tweets that Barron Trump will become America's first homeschool shooter.

They are going after a 10-year old.


People were also going after the 16 year old inauguration singer. Liberals are truly amoral people.

Posted on: 1/30 18:29
Top


Re: Jersey City rally in support of immigrants
#17
Home away from home
Home away from home


Wonder if you guys will get 10 years felony riot charges like the inauguration protestors did. I sure hope you do...

I was around the site earlier today and saw a huge amount of police gearing up. Was tempted to watch to see these bastards get pwn3d but like many Republicans I have things to do.

Posted on: 1/30 18:27
Top


Re: JUST BECLAWS
#18
Home away from home
Home away from home


I went a few times. Thought food was mediocre. Which is unfortunate because I'd love a really good seafood shack in JC.

Posted on: 1/27 11:29
Top


Re: Trump Our New President
#19
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Resized Image


Guess which one's Trump's and with one's Obama's inauguration ?


Sorry, my wife and I wanted to attend but we both have JOBS.

Posted on: 1/20 22:53
Top


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
#20
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
First, I am sorry for the loss of your sister. Secondly, knives do not have brains, they cannot will themselves to attack a person. Lastly, pit bulls should be banned as a breed.


I'm not sure I understand this argument at all. Who cares whether knives/hot dogs/cars have brains? They cause death all the same. I don't think it matters to those killed whether the knife wanted to kill them.

Explain to the class why this is relevant to anything.



You are grasping straws. if I leave a knife on a table or floor, it will not pick itself up and attack someone.

Pitbull is one of the most abused dog breeds and by far the breed with the highest number of dogs being killed each year in shelters because noone wants them. By not banning pitbull ownership all it does is encourage the market to breed more pitbulls, which end up being abused or in a shelter by irresponsible owners, to be killed.

There are hundreds of other dog breed you can own. If pitbull is legally banned, it will significantly reduce the breeders from making more of those poor animals that end up suffering in shelters and force owners to neuter their pitbulls to prevent further breeding. The law should ban new pitbull ownership but let current owners keep their dog obviously.

Fact is pitbull is the one breed of dogs with the highest capacity to attack humans unprovoked when not properly taken care of, and in rare instances even when they are. This cause them to be abandoned by owners once they have kids or other life events, which causes those dogs to be in shelters, and because of the breed, very few people takes them back, so majority ended up being killed for no reason.

It's great YOU as a pitbull owner love your dog and take care of it, but unfortunately the world is not just you. By supporting not banning pitbull ownership all you are doing is causing more pitbulls to be bred, suffer, and killed each year.

Some stats: for every 1 "happy" pit bull ownership, 599 are killed. Approximately 800000 pitbulls are killed every year in the US shelters, making up 50% or more of the total dogs killed each year in US.


Re: the knife - so what? And pit bulls don't randomly attack and kill either. They do so through conditioning combined with opportunity created by humans. And even with all the crazy abuse going on, it is still on the "freak accident" scale of death.

Pit bulls are among the most abused dogs because they're prevalent in the environments where abusers are likely to live - urban poor areas where owners are most likely to be drug dealers, for example, or rural areas where dog fighting is common. It isn't because they're "bad dogs" any more than women living in areas where rape is common are somehow "more deserving."

Also, curious why you think few pit bulls are well taken care of. I know a bunch of people with pit bulls that live in wealthy, loving homes and are fantastic dogs. I also don't see a citation for your stat, which I seriously doubt. There are millions of pit bulls and pit mixes in the US and it is one of the most common breeds. You paint with an awfully broad brush and something tells me you have remarkably little knowledge of this issue.

Posted on: 1/20 11:51
Top


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
#21
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
First, I am sorry for the loss of your sister. Secondly, knives do not have brains, they cannot will themselves to attack a person. Lastly, pit bulls should be banned as a breed.


Which breed? American Pitbull or American Staffordshire? The article you linked me to was for a dog half American Staffordshire and half Great Dane.


Both, of course. Naturally, after pit bulls are banned and people still keep dying from dog attacks (because people have always died of dog attacks), Yvonne will demand that German Shepherds/Rottweilers/Mastiffs/Great Danes and every other large breed is banned too. In reality, Yvonne just doesn't like big scary dogs and I don't for a second believe that she cares about the dead kids. If Yvonne did, she would focus on what really kills kids, instead of focusing on what actually scares her which is pit bulls and other large, scary dogs.


Your comment makes no sense. No child should have the experience of being torn to death by a killer dog.


Children have been torn to death by killer dogs since humans have had dogs and long before pit bulls have come into existence. But that's life and banning man's best friend isn't a solution any intelligent person will advocate.

Also, can you provide a list of acceptable and unacceptable sources of death for children?

Posted on: 1/20 11:43
Top


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
#22
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
First, I am sorry for the loss of your sister. Secondly, knives do not have brains, they cannot will themselves to attack a person. Lastly, pit bulls should be banned as a breed.


Which breed? American Pitbull or American Staffordshire? The article you linked me to was for a dog half American Staffordshire and half Great Dane.


Both, of course. Naturally, after pit bulls are banned and people still keep dying from dog attacks (because people have always died of dog attacks), Yvonne will demand that German Shepherds/Rottweilers/Mastiffs/Great Danes and every other large breed is banned too. In reality, Yvonne just doesn't like big scary dogs and I don't for a second believe that she cares about the dead kids. If Yvonne did, she would focus on what really kills kids, instead of focusing on what actually scares her which is pit bulls and other large, scary dogs.

Posted on: 1/19 23:25
Top


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
#23
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
First, I am sorry for the loss of your sister. Secondly, knives do not have brains, they cannot will themselves to attack a person. Lastly, pit bulls should be banned as a breed.


I'm not sure I understand this argument at all. Who cares whether knives/hot dogs/cars have brains? They cause death all the same. I don't think it matters to those killed whether the knife wanted to kill them.

Explain to the class why this is relevant to anything.

Posted on: 1/19 23:20
Top


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
#24
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
The wiener argument still wins it...

Quote:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steffen ... ies-and-st_b_8112394.html

Maybe more striking is the fact that you are FAR more likely to die from eating a hot dog (choking from inhalation of food) than from being attacked by an actual dog.

Death by a real dog- 1 in 116,448.

Death by a hot dog- 1 in 3,375.




Except 6-year-old Logan Braatz did not die from a hot dog but was maul to death by a dog. What a horrible death.


You know much about the relative horrors of being mauled by dogs and choking on wieners?


I do know the Heimlich maneuver will save someone's life. I used it on someone years ago but all the people who came to aid Logan Braatz was not able to save his life or prevent the hospitalization of the young girl. Too bad the media will not show his image after the mauling. Something like this should be in your brain, dtjcview. You take his death lightly.


Do you generally want us to start showing images of deceased children? I promise you that children that are dead as the result of being run over by cars, choking, ice skating accidents (I remember one particular moment on a skating rink when I got to see what the insides of someone's brains looked like) or any number of other reasons wouldn't look great in pictures. either. The fact is that you don't understand statistics, don't understand dogs, and bleat like a sheep typical dumb arguments like "if it only saves one life!"

Pit bulls/dogs are just not major causes of death for anyone - children or adults. If you want to reduce deaths then there are a million better ways to spend your time.

Posted on: 1/18 23:17
Top


Re: Worthy causes
#25
Home away from home
Home away from home


Liberty Humane or a bunch of animal rescues.

Posted on: 1/4 14:22
Top


Re: There's a new approach for training Jersey City police recruits
#26
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
More minorities on the force.

Qualified applicants.

Pick one.


I don't see how these two options are mutually exclusive. Care to elaborate on your statement?


I'll do it. No one is saying there aren't qualified minorities, but if they have the desire and are qualified then they're already on the force. Instead, when you say that the priorities are "more qualified applicants" and "more minorities" then something has to give. And when you see affirmative action applied pretty much everywhere, it has meant giving on qualifications for AA applicants. Just how it is.

Posted on: 1/4 14:18
Top


Re: Secaucus Boy Kicked Out of Scouts Because He's Transgender (Petition)
#27
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Hamparkvet wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
@Yvonne - your position on this topic is simply close-minded and dogma-based, not science-based. You decry anything that doesn't conform to your dogma as "lies". And as far as families go - I'd bet more families are destroyed over conforming to your kind of dogma, than so-called "lying" to kids about gender. My sister divorced her husband over his bullying of my nephew - who incidentally knew he was gay at a very early age.

It's pretty arrogant to pretend to know what changes happen to the brain during early pregnancy - and how that impacts gender identity and sexual orientation - when science can't yet fully explain it. Dogma and rhetoric certainly doesn't.


My position is based on facts, if transgender truly exists, then picking our gender would be as simple as changing our clothes. The term is called body dysmorphia disorder. Some people with this disorder believes their hands or legs do not belong to their bodies and have asked doctors to cut off those parts. This is similar. It is the reason doctors have filed the lawsuit with HHS mandate and luckily they have won. You are not helping anyone who needs counseling, you are making the problem worse. We cannot pick our gender like we cannot pick our parents. Somethings in life are just a given. The only thing you can do is to make a freak out of this girl if she take hormones and have surgery to remove her breasts and implant a non-working penis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_-EVp3fLpg


Yvonne, when did you choose to be heterosexual? Was it an easy decision or were there moments of doubt? I mean, you really think people choose these things?


...children also believe they have imaginery friends, that behavior also disappear when they get older...


Wait, it does?

Posted on: 1/4 13:53
Top


Re: Fulop: despite Trump, Jersey City remains 'welcoming' to immigrants
#28
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Only on JCList would someone say it is racist that American jobs should go to American citizens. That is the focus of my letter, I have seen many citizens, some personal friends get downsize and later their former companies hire H1B people. I have seen immigrants line up in Union City waiting to be hired by construction crews while Africian Americans asked to be hire by the same company. JC gives generous tax abatements with the idea local people are hired. The American citizen is being screwed. Yet they are the one who make sacrifices to this country especially during war times. I don't apologize for my statement.

If your American friends were better at their jobs, they wouldn't have lost them.

You're a bigot that's made anti-homosexual comments. Now, you're targeting immigrants. It sounds to me like whatever friends you have that lost jobs deservedly lost them. Tell your friends to improve their knowledge and then re-apply. Maybe they'll have a shot.

As someone that hires people (and am presently interviewing daily), if someone comes in and complains that they lost their job because the other person was an immigrant, they damn sure won't be paid by me.


You are putting Americans last, which makes you anti-America. Referring to my comments on gays, let me repeat, bakers, florists, etc. should not be forced to do something against their beliefs. Actually, I have rented to gays, but I will not call Jesus a liar when he said a man leaves his father and mother and clings to his wife and the two will be one flesh. The definition of marriage. I will not call Jesus a liar on the definition of marriage. But you have the free will to do that. You are a liberal who hate people who do not follow what you believe. You are not tolerate of other people's faith. Here is a woman who is following her faith, she will serve gays but will not violate her religion. You have no idea how strong faith is probably because you lack it yourself. http://www.adfmedia.org/News/PRDetail/8608

My last two hires were a male of Cuban descent and a Muslim woman.

I'm sorry you're such a bigot. I'm also sorry that you're so racist as to think that "American" just means white.

I'd say that you'll grow out of it but you've been spouting the same pathetic nonsense for far too long and you're too old to learn how wrong you are.

I'm happy with my new employees. Then again, I'm not a racist like you...


Nice strawman there...

Posted on: 1/4 13:40
Top


Re: Montreal Bans New Pit Bull Ownership After Deadly Mauling
#29
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Two children and their mother were attacked by their neighbor's pit bull after it escaped from its home in Toms River.

The attack happened on the family’s property last week as the children were headed to school. A 4-year-old was pinned to the ground and needed 35 stiches. Both children had to be hospitalized.

"The dog bites missed one of the child's carotid arteries by about 1 inch,”


Big scarey font. We got it. How does a dog breed ban protect folks from your big scarey font?


I think we gotta ban big scary font. It scares me...

Posted on: 2016/11/16 22:49
Top


Re: Fulop: despite Trump, Jersey City remains 'welcoming' to immigrants
#30
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

135jc wrote:


All that I have read states Trump is only going after criminals.


You need to read more.


To be fair, being here illegally makes you a criminal, so...

Posted on: 2016/11/16 1:06
Top



TopTop
(1) 2 3 4 ... 26 »






Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017