Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
140 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Home Depot - Holland Tunnel vs Route 440 location
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
There's nothing on the website that says To The Trade Only. Plus the website is very consumer friendly most trade only websites are basic and hard to navigate.

Posted on: 2019/6/20 21:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone know anything about White Cap Construction Supply on Tonnelle? Do you have to be a contractor with an account setup to go in there? Do they only sell in bulk?

Whenever I drive past I wonder whether there are bargains to be had there versus Home Depot and Lowes, but have chickened out of pulling in.

Today I finally got round to looking them up on the web, it's still unclear to me whether they service walk in customers.
https://www.whitecap.com/shop/en/wc/home

Robin.

Posted on: 2019/6/20 4:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
You're missing the point, heights. If you know the item you want, call ahead of time and ask to make sure it's actually in the store, so they can go and visually check to see if it's on the shelves. That way you aren't going to the store just to get inventory error'd.

Posted on: 2014/3/9 13:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_rider wrote:
I also recommend bestbuy for appliances. Sears is also good when stuff is on-sale.

In terms of HD in the area.. they all suck now in terms of stock. When I renovated our bathroom in 2004 there were many people working there and I got everything I need from 440 HD and filled up the old Wex wagon within 2 hrs from 6-8AM and still made it to work on-time.

After the housing bust it is hard to find everything you need in stock in same store. Last year I wanted to put in some closetMaid kit with drawers and had to go to DT, 440 and SCS to find all parts. Last month I wanted to get some frame wire and kit to install few paintings and a mirror and had to go to DT & 440 for my needs. Online it shows so many in-stock but when you get there not a single item in stock sometimes. Even if you call you don't get the right stock unless someone goes and checks in the isle.

First off I would never call on the phone you have to do it in person face to face. Most of the time you have to spell things out to the employees which is like pulling teeth. Why not try some of the mom & pop stores there are a few in Bayonne.

Posted on: 2014/3/9 9:30
Get on your bikes and ride !

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/27 1:26
Group:
Registered Users
I would definitely check out Best Buy. As mentioned, they do their best to "close the deal" -- staff is good, although check-out is a pain (tends to be slow). Also, they fairly regularly have floor models at great prices (ask if they can do better). Delivery is on time, professional, and quick -- was actually very impressed. Not sure if it makes sense for appliances, but their guarantee (yes, I can hear the groans about guarantees -- this is the only place I buy one) is very good -- just bring the product back and get a brand new one (no mailing back, no waiting, no hassle).

Posted on: 2014/3/7 23:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/18 2:46
Group:
Registered Users
I also recommend bestbuy for appliances. Sears is also good when stuff is on-sale.

In terms of HD in the area.. they all suck now in terms of stock. When I renovated our bathroom in 2004 there were many people working there and I got everything I need from 440 HD and filled up the old Wex wagon within 2 hrs from 6-8AM and still made it to work on-time.

After the housing bust it is hard to find everything you need in stock in same store. Last year I wanted to put in some closetMaid kit with drawers and had to go to DT, 440 and SCS to find all parts. Last month I wanted to get some frame wire and kit to install few paintings and a mirror and had to go to DT & 440 for my needs. Online it shows so many in-stock but when you get there not a single item in stock sometimes. Even if you call you don't get the right stock unless someone goes and checks in the isle.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 5:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I would also recommend the Best Buy nearby for appliances. Still in the 3.5% tax zone.

Posted on: 2014/3/6 16:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

soulman wrote:
Great marketing ploy. "Gee, sorry you lost all those tools, here's a 10% discount coupon! come back inside and we'll hook you up". LOL

The theft is a sad incident but they're not required to offer anything.

Posted on: 2014/3/6 16:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/6 11:43
From Historic Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Great marketing ploy. "Gee, sorry you lost all those tools, here's a 10% discount coupon! come back inside and we'll hook you up". LOL

Posted on: 2014/3/6 15:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City Police are looking for a vehicle with Pennsylvania plates believed to be connected to the burglary of $1,800 in construction tools from a vehicle parked at the Home Depot in Jersey City yesterday morning.

The victim, a 39-year-old Pennsylvania man, told responding officers that the items were stolen from his van while he was shopping in the Home Depot on 12th Street between 10:40 a.m. and 11:56 a.m., a police report says.

In a similar incident on Sept. 12, police responded to the store and met a 39-year-old Jersey City man who said he got to the Home Depot around 11 a.m. that day and parked in the first level of the parking deck before going into the store for about 20 minutes, a police report says.

The man said that upon exiting the store he noticed damage to the rear door of his van and found more than $1,700 worth of tools had been taken from vehicle, the report says.

?Investigation of the evidence from the incident today links a gold Nissan Quest with PA plates to the crime,? Jersey City Police Department Spokesman Robert McHugh said this evening. ?Investigation of a similar incident at the same store last year links a similar vehicle. Both investigations are ongoing.?

Anyone with information on the thefts is asked to call the Jersey City police tip line at (201) 547-JAIL.

JJ

Posted on: 2014/3/6 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry it took a while, but here's a quick update:

We went to the Home Depot, Lowes and PC Ricard on Rt 440, and also dropped by the HD by Holland Tunnel in our quest. Sadly, none of the places stocked 24" washers (except PC Richard, where they stocked one, but a different model than the one we were looking for). All of them have plenty of fridges, and interestly, all of them carried slightly different models from each other. I would say the HD by Holland Tunnel has the least stock of appliances. And probably, best selection at PC Richards (for fridges).

As for price negoatiation, Lowes was the weakest - the lady I asked *thinks* they probably have a 10% off for the Memorial Day Weekend. HD at 440 was better - because I grabbed a manager half way through. He actually told me when buying 2 or more, or high priced appliaces, the "Buy more and save more" promotion would actually save me more money than the 10% off they were running for Memorial Day. He was able to find me the price level breakdowns and for example, if one buys $3000 of appliances, one can get $400 off. That was very nice.

The most negoatiable place was PC Richards. That's the last stop for our trip, and I knew all the prices from HD and Lowes. I also mentioned to the manager about the HD "Buy more and save more" promotion, and at the end, the manager was ready and willing to price match that on the spot (even though HD was not running that promotion at the time). However, we did not buy on the spot as we needed to hash out which fridge we wanted to get.

And that was good - at the last minute, and by pure luck, I realized that the LG washer I wanted to buy was 24" wide, and that's exactly the width of my tiny laundry closet. it's the only small-space model that's 24", every other model in the space is 23" and change (eg 23 1/2, 23 3/4, etc). I was really disappointed - after all the research, all the anticipation. Perhaps my bad to some extent, I just assumed all the small-spaced washers are of similar sizing.

So - I'm now looking at the GE WCVH4800KWW (WCVH4800) model - any feedback? or any feedback on GE washers in general?

Oh well, back to research square one!!!

Posted on: 2013/6/3 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hahahhaha - hopefully the actual shopping experience will be non-eventful and successful. But one never know!!! I'll be sure to post back I know I'll be happy to get this over and done with - I'm tired of lugging our massive laundry load down and up four flights of stairs every week to the laundromat that is two blocks away!!! TWO LONG BLOCKS away!!! And I'm tired of people staring at me and my body-bag sized laundry on the street - so rude!!!

Thanks for all the great feedback and ideas - you guys and gals are great!!! Who says the folks posting on JCLIST.COM are nasty!!?!?! (well, maybe sometimes...hehehehehe)

Quote:

neverleft wrote:

Hey SRhia you better not leave us hanging, we are all looking forward to a post from you next week about your appliance /store picks.

This is going to be such a crappy weekend weather wise the only exciting thing I have going for me is wondering what your choice will be. (I know ..the sad life of an old-timer)

Posted on: 2013/5/24 23:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

Hey SRhia you better not leave us hanging, we are all looking forward to a post from you next week about your appliance /store picks.

This is going to be such a crappy weekend weather wise the only exciting thing I have going for me is wondering what your choice will be. (I know ..the sad life of an old-timer)

Posted on: 2013/5/24 19:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Nope, it was not an item on their site, but since it was in the GE catalog they ordered it from their GE supplier. Had it not been a mfr they did stock, it might have been a different story. And my impression is they don't actually warehouse their own appliances, I get a feeling there's a appliance warehouses that service many retailers.

So it's in their supply chain already via GE. Strange they don't offer it on their site, but shrug. I would have been absolutely astonished if they had the autonomy to go outside their regular buyers to get items

Posted on: 2013/5/24 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
That's a good idea - perhaps we'll drop by PC Richards last and see if they can offer the best deal!!!

Do you know if they do haul away too? Do they deliver to the curb only, or do install as well?

Quote:

Ludo wrote:
When I remodeled my kitchen, I found that while the PC Richards people can be a bit much, they are also willing to do just about anything it takes to get the sale.

In my case, after I chose the items I wanted from the PC Richards inventory, I went home and found items that were similar, but cheaper on competitors websites (I think it was a combination of Sears, Best Buy, and Home Depot).

When I went back in armed with the printouts they matched every price, gave me free delivery, and then gave me another discount on top of that since I was still wasn't satisfied.

Yes they do, I got my stove, ovens and fridge from PC Richards. They matched every HD price and took away the old stove. I have never got any major appliance from Lowes but HD did have the best prices for dishwashers so I got it there.

Posted on: 2013/5/24 16:01

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/30 16:58
Group:
Registered Users
I believe they offer both services, but I'm not sure. (I did my own install and I seem to remember the junk guys that drive around Jersey City taking the stuff off of the curb).Quote:

SRhia wrote:
That's a good idea - perhaps we'll drop by PC Richards last and see if they can offer the best deal!!!

Do you know if they do haul away too? Do they deliver to the curb only, or do install as well?

Quote:

Ludo wrote:
When I remodeled my kitchen, I found that while the PC Richards people can be a bit much, they are also willing to do just about anything it takes to get the sale.

In my case, after I chose the items I wanted from the PC Richards inventory, I went home and found items that were similar, but cheaper on competitors websites (I think it was a combination of Sears, Best Buy, and Home Depot).

When I went back in armed with the printouts they matched every price, gave me free delivery, and then gave me another discount on top of that since I was still wasn't satisfied.

Posted on: 2013/5/24 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

Ludo wrote:

Posted on: 2013/5/24 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
They do have cheaper prices than Home Depot on the fridge, so I have printed out their prices and hopefully can make the HD guys do a price match.

Again, I like HD because they do Haul Away too!!! Perhaps I'm just too lazy, but after all these years lugging diaper boxes (and everything else) up the four floors has made me weary...

Quote:

light12v wrote:
if you want the best deals on appliances you should check out AJ MADISON online. they have complete specs, the best prices & free delivery to your place within days. by far the easiest & cheapest way to go.

Posted on: 2013/5/24 15:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It's tempting to do it ourselves, but I'm not sure if I want to put my husband and friends through bringing a washer and fridge up a fourth-floor walkup, and then bringing down the old washer and fridge down the 4 flights again...

Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Sears has it in stock for 899 plus a 50 dollar mail in rebate. But a 69 dollar delivery and 10 buck haul away.

To bad you could not get someone to do free in store pickup And just dismantle the old one by yourself.

Have fun shopping.

Posted on: 2013/5/24 15:38

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/30 16:58
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/5/24 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
I have used AJ Madison a few times over the past couple years. No issues and good pricing.

Posted on: 2013/5/24 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Do anyone know if Lowes will order something for me even if they don't normally carry it in their inventory?

Like I said, they did for me.

Not exactly. They carried it on their website, but not in the store is what I think you meant to say. There's no way that a corporation like Lowes with its own warehousing and shipping system would go outside that chain of buyers to order your item on a one-of basis. What you're describing is that it was in their inventory as a company, but not in the store. They then went into their supply chain and got one to come to the store.

Nope, it was not an item on their site, but since it was in the GE catalog they ordered it from their GE supplier. Had it not been a mfr they did stock, it might have been a different story. And my impression is they don't actually warehouse their own appliances, I get a feeling there's a appliance warehouses that service many retailers.

Posted on: 2013/5/24 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/5 15:03
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
if you want the best deals on appliances you should check out AJ MADISON online. they have complete specs, the best prices & free delivery to your place within days. by far the easiest & cheapest way to go.

Posted on: 2013/5/24 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/7 23:14
Group:
Registered Users
I've been to all 4 Home Depots mentioned in this thread (Secaucus, North Bergen, DT, and 440) and would say that if you're looking for the most helpful in-store staff, DT takes it. They're the least busy of the 4 stores and there are all kinds of people always standing around to help, at least any time I've been there.

Secaucus is the biggest because they cater to contractors. I'm pretty sure they also used to be open 24-hours, but not any longer.

The one in North Bergen is, in my opinion, the "nicest" of all of them, but not a whole lot different than the one on 440. The appeal of both of these locations, IMO, has already been mentioned - they're very close (if not right next to) Lowes.

Having said all of that, I haven't purchased appliances at any of them, so unfortunately can't advise on your specific purchase.

Edit - the Home Depot in Union (just off Route 78) has an amazing appliance selection. It's also a contractor-focused HD, and it's huge.

Posted on: 2013/5/24 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Heights wrote: Downtown: Simple to get to, brightly lit, easy to navigate, less crowded, and actually don't mind the parking deck. Rt. 440 is a pain to drive on traffic can be a problem. Area is not as safe as the residential streets surrounding DT. Secaucus is depressing.

Are you joking or a shut-in? There is NO crime in or near the rt 440 Lowe?s/Hudson Mall or the Home Depot. They both have large open parking lots and the stores are not crowded. The Home Depot is across the street from Society Hill and near County Village those areas are the safest in the city. People from CV and SH walk along rt 440 to the Hudson Mall no problems. Yes traffic at morning and evening rush hour can be bad.

Funny I have yet to be in the DT HD because that one (for me) is too confusing to get to. But I will agree the Secaucus one just comes across as a dark place both in the parking decks and the store. It?s the poor lighting and having the parking deck right on/at the front entrance.

Posted on: 2013/5/24 13:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Secaucus is depressing.

How so?

Posted on: 2013/5/24 13:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/24 13:03
Group:
Registered Users
I prefer 440 because everything is on one level, easy to get in and out from a parking perspective as well. I have been to the downtown several times, but have never actually purchased anything there.

Posted on: 2013/5/24 13:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
LMAO so now even our HD is unsafe on the south side of the city, wow give it a rest people, I mean really. I come on here just to laugh at the folks on here who live in this bubble. That's not safe, is this place safe? Unbelievable.

Posted on: 2013/5/24 12:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Downtown: Simple to get to, brightly lit, easy to navigate, less crowded, and actually don't mind the parking deck. Rt. 440 is a pain to drive on traffic can be a problem. Area is not as safe as the residential streets surrounding DT. Secaucus is depressing.

WTF? R U kidding. Seriously? First, you're talking about a downtown Home Depot which obviously isn't dangerous but to counter your point - it is near a housing project, the same Home Depot cops went to during Hurricane Sandy because of the amount of criminals buying bolt cutters for home invasions that they had to put a curfew on the city? Home Depot 440 is a parking lot, plain and simple. Not a crime center. lol. That's hilarious. It has a HUGE selection and the same amount of times I've gone to the Downtown Home depot are the same amount of times I've had to leave it and drive out to 440 to get what I want as the downtown supply is significantly limited for good reason - they aren't catering to contractors with big buys and don't have the room. On 440 if Home Depot doesn't have it - I stop by the other stores along the way - the most crime I've experienced is the ridiculous line up's in the fast food drive thru. I practically rebuilt my first floor and I'm telling you - even the employees at the DTHD were telling me, "boy you got to go to the 440!"

Posted on: 2013/5/24 12:50

Edited by PathH8Tr on 2013/5/24 13:18:53
Edited by PathH8Tr on 2013/5/24 13:19:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Heiights their barely any crime in that area genious, do you even travel out of the heights.

Just comparing one area to another. I've been to 440 many times even know the shortcuts. Also it makes sense to go to the HD closest to where you live.

Posted on: 2013/5/24 12:36
Get on your bikes and ride !

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017