Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
53 user(s) are online (31 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 52

fat-ass-bike, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 9 »

Re: Tell Trader Joe's to come to Jersey City!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
the new Wegman's about to open in the BK Navy Yards will be the smallest one they have ever opened, at 75,000 sf. They simply don't do small stores.

But Fairway does. How come there's no Fairway love here? I used to go to the one on 133rd all the time when I was visiting Columbia frequently.

When I lived in Manhattan I always went to Fairway, it was a great store many years ago. Recently I went to the store in Paramus and visited the Chelsea location, I was very disappointed. Perhaps I got used to shopping at Whole Foods and realized Fairway is not keeping up with the competition.

A lot of this. I think Fairway was great a long time ago. But, honestly, it just doesn't compete well with WF or TJs. Their prices are high for the quality of the stuff. If I am going to pay high prices, I rather shop at WF. If convenience and simplicity is the goal, then I am going with the TJs offerings. If price is the goal, I opt for ShopRite (if short on time) or Wegman's and/or Costco when the overriding considerations are quality and value. I have *never* (in the past five years) considered a shopping trip to Fairway. There are too many better options to fill specific needs/wants.

Posted on: 5/3 17:01
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
the new Wegman's about to open in the BK Navy Yards will be the smallest one they have ever opened, at 75,000 sf. They simply don't do small stores.

But Fairway does. How come there's no Fairway love here? I used to go to the one on 133rd all the time when I was visiting Columbia frequently.

When I lived in Manhattan I always went to Fairway, it was a great store many years ago. Recently I went to the store in Paramus and visited the Chelsea location, I was very disappointed. Perhaps I got used to shopping at Whole Foods and realized Fairway is not keeping up with the competition.

Posted on: 5/3 16:46
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

I'm not sure of its current status, but didn't they file bankruptcy last May with a ton of debt?

Posted on: 5/3 15:50
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Posted on: 5/3 15:36
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

QueenONght wrote:
If ShopRite does not re-up in the space after all the development in Newport is done that's more than enough room for a Wegman's.

Dude, you ought to go visit a Wegman's in real life. Their smallest store is over 15% larger than the current space occupied by the Marin Blvd Shoprite. They don't do small stores. In fact, the new Wegman's about to open in the BK Navy Yards will be the smallest one they have ever opened, at 75,000 sf. They simply don't do small stores.

Posted on: 5/3 15:14
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

QueenONght wrote:
If ShopRite does not re-up in the space after all the development in Newport is done that's more than enough room for a Wegman's.

Have you ever been to a Wegman's? The new one in Hanover will be 140,000 square feet, and it's on a 40 acre site . . .

This thread still cracks me up though.

Posted on: 5/3 14:35
Print Top

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 5/3 13:23
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
I'd much rather have a Wegman's.

Of course. But, you will never see a Wegman's in this area: we just don't have the space. Their smallest store is HUGE. Unless, of course, they were to take over a huge space like the stalled Lackawanna project in the taint area now being peddled as SoHo West.

Posted on: 5/3 8:50
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I'd much rather have a Wegman's.

Posted on: 5/3 8:29
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
The Trump building I believe has that space. The space the Italian meat market was to open in

Posted on: 5/3 3:35
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
[quote]
Probably because there's a lack of adequate retail space that can accommodate such a large store, at least in Downtown JC. You can thank our wonderful neighborhood associations for doing everything they could to limit retail over the years.

True that. But TJ's is actually pretty small as far as these things go.

True, but that puts it in the range of 10-15k square feet as opposed to 25-30 like most supermarkets. There still aren't that many spaces that fit the bill.

I think the new building going up at Grand and Jersey across from Brownstone Diner is slated to have enough retail and is in a prime enough spot to handle a Trader Joe's. I remember rumors that they were trying to attract some high end grocer there. Of course there are the new high rises too, but I think putting something closer to the waterfront makes it difficult to reach for most people in the Grove St. area that don't have a car.

Posted on: 5/2 21:40
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
[quote]
Probably because there's a lack of adequate retail space that can accommodate such a large store, at least in Downtown JC. You can thank our wonderful neighborhood associations for doing everything they could to limit retail over the years.

True that. But TJ's is actually pretty small as far as these things go.

Posted on: 5/2 19:57
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JonnyF86 wrote:
I've said this before but I just don't understand why JC cannot get a decent grocery store. Whole Foods/TJ's, etc, etc, etc are a dime a dozen in other parts of the country.

Why with all the new development here is this so hard!?

Posted on: 5/2 19:30
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
'Racist pricks'? You do know Whole Foods just opened up in freaking Newark, lol?
And it's racism that TJ's isn't opening in Jersey City-just how many cities does TJ's have stores that abut each other? Millburn/Westfield/Florham Park all have several towns in between.

Posted on: 5/2 19:23

Edited by Monroe on 2017/5/2 19:44:04
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JonnyF86 wrote:
I've said this before but I just don't understand why JC cannot get a decent grocery store. Whole Foods/TJ's, etc, etc, etc are a dime a dozen in other parts of the country.

Racist pricks is all I can figure. TJ's will open in tiny towns with no where near the population and wealth of DTJC. BTW, have been to 99 Ranch? Its pretty awesome even if you'd still have to go to another supermarket for drygoods.

Re HBLR stops, a new stop up there in N hoboken is part of their redevelopment plans for that area above 14th st. This was part of the whole shitshow where Christie was pressuring Mayor Zimmer to approve Sampson's permits.

Posted on: 5/2 18:54
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Pre-Historic Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

sullyx wrote:
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

SOS wrote:
Trader Joe's in Hoboken opening May 17, 2017
Not far from the light rail.

http://www.traderjoes.com/announcement/hoboken-nj-opening-2017

It's 1.7 miles from the Hoboken stop and 1.5 miles from the Second Street stop - a good 30 minute walk.

or you could get off at the 9th St stop and hoof it from there, I just saved you half the walk

Ohhh! That's great - I didn't check that stop - silly me!

Pro Tip! Save another 1/10 mile by going to Lincoln Harbor instead.

Posted on: 5/2 18:08
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sullyx wrote:
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

SOS wrote:

It's 1.7 miles from the Hoboken stop and 1.5 miles from the Second Street stop - a good 30 minute walk.

or you could get off at the 9th St stop and hoof it from there, I just saved you half the walk

Ohhh! That's great - I didn't check that stop - silly me!

Posted on: 5/2 13:51
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 5/2 13:11
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sullyx wrote:
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

SOS wrote:

Yup. .8 miles/16 minute walk from the 9th Street/Congress Light Rail station. I'll take the light rail there and Uber back.

Posted on: 5/2 12:45
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

SOS wrote:

Posted on: 5/2 11:54
utterly deplorable
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SOS wrote:

Posted on: 5/2 11:33
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 5/2 11:19
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

owlie wrote:
Trader Joe's is NOT coming to JC. The best you can hope for is a $Dollar store where you can buy outdated groceries.

Wait, did I say that out loud ? Just kidding..bad joke. but seriously TJ's is not coming to JC.

Posted on: 2014/5/19 23:48
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Trader Joe's is NOT coming to JC. The best you can hope for is a $Dollar store where you can buy outdated groceries.

Posted on: 2014/5/19 23:46
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Banned
CLD - check out P&K and Key Food. Zipping into WF Tribeca for fish and meat (which I also buy in Key Food sometimes) or Chelsea Market (which as really become unpleasantly crowded) more or less crosses everything off my shopping list. Shoprite is good for D'Artagnan duck breasts and Green and Black chocolate bars when they are on sale for $1.69. You can remain avehicular yet well fed.

Posted on: 2014/5/19 13:35
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Asif wrote:
I would luv to see TJs in Bayonne. They could get a great deal on price/rent/city incentives......and it would serve as a magnet for people from JC and surrounding towns.
I keep hearing that they want a well heeled population....but with all that development(and lots of it in Bayonne too) why not get in early???

Wouldn't work out. You can't even get the Downtown folks to walk up Newark Ave. past Dickinson H.S. to Moloney's Butcher even when they want a butcher.

The whole idea of living in DTJC is that we live car free and that everything we need is within walking distance to a train or people's residence.

Opening a TJs in Bayonne and not in JC is just bad business. More people work and live in JC than Bayonne. There are a lot of people that park and ride the train into the city in JC. Which makes JC a better option that Bayonne.

I'm not saying that Bayonne should not get a TJs. All I am saying is that, JC is a better investment at the moment. Plus, there are a lot of retail options with plenty of parking that are close to the Grove or Newport trains that would be an ideal location for a TJs.

Posted on: 2014/5/19 11:27
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:
I would luv to see TJs in Bayonne. They could get a great deal on price/rent/city incentives......and it would serve as a magnet for people from JC and surrounding towns.
I keep hearing that they want a well heeled population....but with all that development(and lots of it in Bayonne too) why not get in early???

Wouldn't work out. You can't even get the Downtown folks to walk up Newark Ave. past Dickinson H.S. to Moloney's Butcher even when they want a butcher.

Posted on: 2014/5/19 10:06
Get on your bikes and ride !
Print Top

Re: Trader Joe's in JC/Hoboken?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:
Agreed. But that doesn't mean it's not in the works!

I doubt it's even in the works, if 2 years later it's not even on the 'coming soon' list' :

http://www.traderjoes.com/stores/coming-soon.asp

I guess I was naive and a little too optimistic. With the crappy Shop Rite and Pathmark we don't have a decent grocer. A&P is a better option yet but doesn't work for people without a car.

Let's hope that we get some sort of decent organic/health food store soon. Seems like the area is going to need it with all the development going on.

Posted on: 2014/5/19 9:38
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/17 15:03
Print Top

Re: Trader Joe's in JC/Hoboken?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
I wonder if Trader Joe's and other retail businesses are waiting for a Bayfront/440 Light Rail stop to open?

Not upscale enough for TJ's. Look at the towns where TJ's sites stores in NJ-Millburn, Westfield, Florham Park, Princeton, Edgewater. In areas that are not as upscale they are along very heavily trafficked, such as Clifton on RT3.

440 in JC/Bayonne, not so much.

Posted on: 2014/5/17 8:41
Print Top

(1) 2 3 4 ... 9 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact