Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Shutting Down Downtown on a Saturday
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
If you have a heart attack, stroke or a sever asthma attack you now have to worry about the traffic and street closures. Shame.

Posted on: 2016/6/21 14:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

(Quite happy to trade insults with entitled d bags if that's where you want to take the thread).

That's precious. The guy (?) who starts throwing insults out of the gate is chirping at others for calling him (?) out.

No thanks - you are fine as a solo act. The D bag remains singular.

Posted on: 2016/6/21 12:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
Regardless of how you feel about automobile ownership in JC and the entitlement that is expected to go along with it/ or not go along with it, you should all agree that the best time to shut down streets for NEEDED REPAIR is on a weekend. Further, in my view its much better to take your medicine all at once rather than take it a little bit at a time in terms of street closures. Plus its more efficient for the road crews to have all the materials and equipment in play all at once in a bigger effort than it would be if they were digging one hole at a time on one street at a time.

Posted on: 2016/6/21 12:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/23 20:19
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
Get real. Who the hell is checking Waze and looking up street closures online when it occurs to them mid-afternoon Saturday that they need to run to Target or Home Depot to get a few things too large to handle by bike or walking? I'm a creature of the 21st century and use Waze when venturing out on the TPK and beyond, but it's a bit much to expect people to take those steps for such a small, run of the mill trip.

Besides - there really weren't any good answers. If you had to get out, all Waze and the website would have told you is that you are screwed. And none of which addresses the ambulance....

Why such a crank about it?

Better a crank than a fumduck who doesn't realise that during summer months there are frequently events and festivals that shutdown parts of JC.

(Quite happy to trade insults with entitled d bags if that's where you want to take the thread).

Events and Festivals - no problem. Events, festivals + closing off Grand & Monmouth for paving on a Saturday afternoon = Terrible Planning.

Posted on: 2016/6/21 11:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
Get real. Who the hell is checking Waze and looking up street closures online when it occurs to them mid-afternoon Saturday that they need to run to Target or Home Depot to get a few things too large to handle by bike or walking? I'm a creature of the 21st century and use Waze when venturing out on the TPK and beyond, but it's a bit much to expect people to take those steps for such a small, run of the mill trip.

Besides - there really weren't any good answers. If you had to get out, all Waze and the website would have told you is that you are screwed. And none of which addresses the ambulance....

Better a crank than a fumduck who doesn't realise that during summer months there are frequently events and festivals that shutdown parts of JC.

Posted on: 2016/6/20 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/6/20 20:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
@07310: No I don't understand anyone who claims to have "responsibilities" - then doesn't take any personal responsibility for their travel plans. Isn't that the definition of entitled?

Posted on: 2016/6/20 20:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mao wrote:
To DTJCer et alii:

To those of the "get a bike get a life" vien, the point here as most other posters noted is coordination. It is one thing to have detours and delays, another thing to completely shut a city down to the point that the JCPD intervenes to prevent a public safety emergency. And sure, we'd all like an urban utopia where we can walk to everything. JC is walkable but most of Jersey City is not entirely car free no matter what the youngsters in the City Planning Bureau think. Also those with old people and children in their care should be excused the reliance on the automobile.

Mao

Ignore the entitled D bags they think they are smarter than everyone and have all the answers. They don't have any responsibilities of maintaining a household or families.

Posted on: 2016/6/20 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
15 mins longer on a Saturday? You may not have noticed all the streets being repaved and sewers being cleaned.

Get a bike. Get Waze. Get a life.

Perhaps not everybody is exactly the same as you and some people need to drive places on their day off. I was stuck in that clusterfk for about 40 minutes just trying to get from the Pathmark plaza to York & Grove.

Posted on: 2016/6/20 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
I rarely drive and was stuck in that mess trying to get home from the auto shop.

It was poor planning to shut down Monmouth and Grand and cross sections during the same day as the JC Eats. They should have just paved that during a weekday, not on a day that there will be a ton of cars. If you were stuck west of Monmouth and tried to get downtown, it was ridiculous.

I've never witnessed about 20 cars driving on the rear side of the building of the old Pathmark just trying to figure out how the hell to get home before.

Posted on: 2016/6/20 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
@Mao - it's easy to anticipate traffic chaos and avoid it. But go ahead - blunder into it - and curse others for your own lack of planning.

Google traffic
https://www.waze.com/

I'd like to see more traffic chaos in JC, not less. Best way to keep speeders and scofflaws off our streets.

Posted on: 2016/6/20 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/12 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
Are some of you guys on the payroll in Planning? Or just true believers with no babies or old people in toe.

Mao the whiner

Posted on: 2016/6/20 17:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Road closures are posted online every week. Check before you leave home.

Posted on: 2016/6/20 14:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mao wrote:
To DTJCer et alii:

To those of the "get a bike get a life" vien, the point here as most other posters noted is coordination. It is one thing to have detours and delays, another thing to completely shut a city down to the point that the JCPD intervenes to prevent a public safety emergency. And sure, we'd all like an urban utopia where we can walk to everything. JC is walkable but most of Jersey City is not entirely car free no matter what the youngsters in the City Planning Bureau think. Also those with old people and children in their care should be excused the reliance on the automobile.

Mao

Still no sympathy from me. Life's unpredictable - and so is traffic. Leave early. Use one of the many traffic apps. The city is putting planned road closures online. The only thing predictable about road closures - is motorists who whinge about being stuck in traffic for 15 mins.

Posted on: 2016/6/20 13:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
To DTJCer et alii:

Mao

Posted on: 2016/6/20 12:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The Medical Center is located downtown, this is definitely poor planning. What if there was an emergency? Perhaps there was but we don't know about it yet.

There was an ambulance trying to get back to the medical center on grand. It couldn't even get through traffic.

As usual Jersey City fails to coordinate traffic. There is a way to maximize the flow of traffic, while having pedestrian safety.

Posted on: 2016/6/20 3:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sepecat wrote:
City Hall gave permits to shut down whole streets and the PD intervened because it created public safety issues that certain roads went from full closure to single lanes on Friday. I don't know what the deal was on Saturday.

I don't know what the city was thinking when they gave such permissions on a weekend to shut down major roadways...

I meant to say Saturday and I don't know what the deal was for Sunday.

Posted on: 2016/6/19 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/13 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
It's one thing closing down streets to cars but we couldn't even walk in my neighborhood because sidewalks were closed as well. What a half-assed clusterf*ck !!!

Posted on: 2016/6/19 20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
The Medical Center is located downtown, this is definitely poor planning. What if there was an emergency? Perhaps there was but we don't know about it yet.

Posted on: 2016/6/19 19:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
City Hall gave permits to shut down whole streets and the PD intervened because it created public safety issues that certain roads went from full closure to single lanes on Friday. I don't know what the deal was on Saturday.

I don't know what the city was thinking when they gave such permissions on a weekend to shut down major roadways...

Posted on: 2016/6/19 18:44

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/4 10:26
Group:
Registered Users
The turnpike was also down to one lane after exit 14c due to construction so many people were exiting the turnpike and going through jc to get to the tunnel yesterday. I saw all of the equipment there again today on my way to work so I'm guessing that will cause more traffic through downtown today too.

Posted on: 2016/6/19 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

I care more about getting sewers cleaned, road resurfaced and infrastructure hardened, than the inconvenience of impatient drivers.

Give us a car-free day every Saturday in the summer. With all the festivals and events - that pretty much happens anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car-Free_Days

Posted on: 2016/6/19 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
To be doing this, especially on a weekend when a food festival was going on at City Hall, seemed ridiculous. I didn't need to move my car but there was solid gridlock on Jersey Ave from Grand to Newark in both directions ALL day. Grove was closed by City Hall, Montgomery had a closed portion, as did Mercer, Monmouth and Grand. What a zoo with tons of pissed-off drivers and horns blowing everywhere. Very poor coordination with PSE&G, IMO...

Posted on: 2016/6/19 14:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
15 mins longer on a Saturday? You may not have noticed all the streets being repaved and sewers being cleaned.

Get a bike. Get Waze. Get a life.

Posted on: 2016/6/19 13:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
So what is the explanation? Why was Grand Street closed?

Robin.

Posted on: 2016/6/19 13:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mao wrote:
Was this the worst of all traffic Armageddon's that we've had lately?

Grand Street, Monmouth, Varick and sundry other streets totally closed. The City has an entire division in Engineering dedicated to streets and roads. Who could possible have approved all of these closures?

It took me over 1/2 hour to drive across town to Communipaw at 7:30 Saturday morning. It must have been impossible later in the day. A drive that is normally 15 min tops.

Posted on: 2016/6/19 11:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Get with the program -- none of us use cars anymore -- and we live in micro studio apartments..

Posted on: 2016/6/18 20:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
I guess doing this on the day you're having JC Project Eats downtown to showcase local restaurants wasn't the best idea . . .

Posted on: 2016/6/18 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
They closed Grove Street at City Hall too, as well as Warren Street over by St. Peter's Prep.

Posted on: 2016/6/18 19:53

Shutting Down Downtown on a Saturday
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Was this the worst of all traffic Armageddon's that we've had lately?

Grand Street, Monmouth, Varick and sundry other streets totally closed. The City has an entire division in Engineering dedicated to streets and roads. Who could possible have approved all of these closures?

Posted on: 2016/6/18 19:40

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017