Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
145 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City to create LGBT advisory board
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
[quote]
borisp wrote:

Next question: could you give me an example of what sort of advice you believe our city council members need from the aforementioned advisory board?

Beats me - if the City Council needs advice from an acronym, I suggest they spend their limited time listening to the BLIPs - Blacks Living In Poverty. DTJC is so LGBTMOUSE supportive that I suspect that we are the first community with closet heterosexuals. LGBTs are real estate developers wet dreams, you think that's what this is all about?

Posted on: 2015/5/6 14:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
So, basically, we have three positions expressed:

1. pebble notices that the government affords special privileges to the married people and he argues that it should extend the privileges to some other people too. He sees no issues with that.

2. Wishful_Thinking also notices the privileges and, on one hand, wants to be included in the number who gets those, but on the other is worried if that inclusion would make him "privileged" while leaving others behind. He sees no solution to the issue.

3. boris, dtjcview and Sommerman have no problem finding the solution. Easy-peasy: government-created privileges should be destroyed. The government should stop affording married people any special status and privileges, and should consider marriage purely as a form of a contract, regardless of who and how entered into that contract.

Finally, AlexC started by demanding that his opponent answered "Yes or No" whether he supports "marriage equality". Then, after less than 24 hours, he joined the position #3 and very forcefully opined on the side of the government withdrawal from the marriage business altogether.

Next question: could you give me an example of what sort of advice you believe our city council members need from the aforementioned advisory board? "Don't pass city ordinance to expel all minorities"? Like that? Well, I would hope that our councilmen should be able to figure it out on their own, no? Anyways, if you don't share my optimism, could you tell me if you suspect all the councilfolk or just some of them? Who?

Posted on: 2015/5/6 1:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with you 100%, as long as they are consenting adults, of their free will government should not interfere with people's choices of who they marry.

Should it matter if they are really gay? No it shouldn't. Should they be in love? I don't care. People get married for all kinds of reasons other than love or procreation. That's their private business.

Quote:

P.S. In case you wonder, in my opinion a government shouldn't be involved in the marriage business at all. It should enforce the contracts people choose to make, but that's it.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 22:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
No I do not oppose plural marriages, if all parties involved are doing it of their free will.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
@Alex, do you oppose Muslim religion practice that allows polyamorous marriages? Why single them out for discrimination? Where's the equality in that? Do you oppose equality? Why can't three people fully in love with each other have a legal union too?

Posted on: 2015/5/5 22:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
While I am delighted to be invited, I urge people to look to Ferguson/inner city Baltimore etc. and recognize people who truly deserve a seat at the table.

Degenerates who will loot and burn down their own city, including a senior center, on a whim?

Posted on: 2015/5/5 14:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
@Alex, do you oppose Muslim religion practice that allows polyamorous marriages? Why single them out for discrimination? Where's the equality in that? Do you oppose equality? Why can't three people fully in love with each other have a legal union too?

If three - or more - people are genuinely in love, than their desire for a real union deserves to be respected. However, I would note that of the 3 forms of polygamy, one - a man with several wives - is most common, and many international human rights organisations as well as women's rights groups in many countries have called for its abolition. The practice has been ruled to violate the ICCPR (International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights) and the United Nations has recommended that the practice be abolished (Wikipedia). As with any institution promoted by a patriarchal society, it's not safe to assume everyone is in it willingly.

As a gay man who is politically progressive, I'm of two minds about this advisory board. On the one hand, it's great that we are being recognized as more than just an interest group, rather the LGBT&c community is seen as having ideas, a POV that can really contribute to making a fairer society.

On the other hand, the focus on traditional marriage (and the implication that we are all budding middle/upper middle class conformists looking to grab for ourselves what little legitimacy and financial benefits the white middle/upper middle class powers are willing to throw our way) has long troubled me in an increasingly economically stratified society. While I am delighted to be invited, I urge people to look to Ferguson/inner city Baltimore etc. and recognize people who truly deserve a seat at the table.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
I don't disagree with the tax institutions but there really isn't that much of a benefit with marriage for many people. For some people, marriage costs them more money...

Yes, the marriage penalty. I look forward to having the L&G's paying their fair share.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 13:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

borisp wrote:
In case you wonder, in my opinion a government shouldn't be involved in the marriage business at all. It should enforce the contracts people choose to make, but that's it.

I wasn't wondering, but I agree 100%. I might even take it a step further and relegate the word marriage to the realm of sacrament, mitzvah, etc. and create a contract of parental responsibility and asset sharing.

That's a nice idea until you realize that immigration status is impacted by marriage. Where one chooses to live isn't always based on financial decisions.

I have good friends that have become residents and eventually citizens due to their marriage. It is disappointing that gay couples have had to deal with the issues of deportation for so long.

As for the idea that marriage should be taken over by the religious... Marriage began as a state institution. Religion grabbed onto it.

I don't disagree with the tax institutions but there really isn't that much of a benefit with marriage for many people. For some people, marriage costs them more money...

Posted on: 2015/5/5 13:31
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
How is this a discussion. The "war" against equal rights for gay couples is over. They won. They can legally get married.

Now, if gay couples getting married offend the sanctity of your second or third or fourth marriage then maybe the issue isn't the gay couple getting married...

Posted on: 2015/5/5 13:27
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:
In case you wonder, in my opinion a government shouldn't be involved in the marriage business at all. It should enforce the contracts people choose to make, but that's it.

I wasn't wondering, but I agree 100%. I might even take it a step further and relegate the word marriage to the realm of sacrament, mitzvah, etc. and create a contract of parental responsibility and asset sharing.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 11:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:
P.S. In case you wonder, in my opinion a government shouldn't be involved in the marriage business at all. It should enforce the contracts people choose to make, but that's it.

The whole tax structure that benefits couples over individuals is quite frankly bizarre.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 9:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

I would like to add another question - in the movie "Chuck and Larry" the large part of the plot is based on the idea that the couple is investigated for fraud, because New York City suspects that they are not really gay.

So, my question, do you support same-sex marriages specifically for gay people, or do you support same-sex marriages for everyone?

Or, in the most generic way, do you support the idea that any group of consenting adults should be allowed to get married, regardless of who they are, or do you want some restrictions? If you do want restrictions, could you specify which ones and how exactly do you justify them.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 4:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/5/5 2:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

What Does LGBTQIA mean?

The alliteration has gotten a bit silly imo. LGBTQIA or LGBTQIAA...Need a better badge to wear.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 1:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
this is the only thing that really matters - do you support marriage equality? Yes or No

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
If this is your attempt at humor, it's a miserable failure. I was beginning to give you some respect but your statement clearly does not warrant any.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
When I saw the thread title I wondered if the board was advising Fulop on how to come out, but I guess he already has McGreevey on staff to help with that??

Tens and tens of millions of people live in polyamorous families worldwide, why would my question be a joke?

Posted on: 2015/5/5 1:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
If this is your attempt at humor, it's a miserable failure. I was beginning to give you some respect but your statement clearly does not warrant any.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
When I saw the thread title I wondered if the board was advising Fulop on how to come out, but I guess he already has McGreevey on staff to help with that??

Tens and tens of millions of people live in polyamorous families worldwide, why would my question be a joke?

Posted on: 2015/5/4 21:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2015/5/4 21:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
No love for the polyamorous, though. Why the discrimination??

Posted on: 2015/5/4 21:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
They should re-christen the advisory board. Apparently, LGBT is now a quaint acronym, being supplanted by LGBTQIA.

To help with understanding the new, more inclusive definition:

What Does LGBTQIA mean?

Lesbian ? A female- identified person who is attracted romantically, physically, or emotionally to another female-identified person.

Gay ? A male-identified person who is attracted romantically, physically, or emotionally to another male-identified person.

Bisexual ? A person who is attracted romantically, physically, or emotionally to both men and women.

Transgender ? A person who is a member of a gender other than that expected based on anatomical sex.

Queer ? An umbrella term which embraces a variety of sexual preferences, orientations, and habits of those who do not adhere to the heterosexual and cisgender majority. The term queer includes, but is not exclusive to lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transpeople, and intersex persons, traditionally, this term is derogatory and hurtful, however, many people who do not adhere to sexual and/or gender norms use it to self-identify in a positive way.

Intersex ? Someone who?s physical sex characteristics are not categorized as exclusively male or exclusively female.

Asexual ? A person who is not attracted to anyone, or a person who does not have a sexual orientation.

Ally ? A person who does not identify as LGBTQIA, but supports the rights and safety of those who do

Source

Posted on: 2015/5/4 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
They should re-christen the advisory board. Apparently, LGBT is now a quaint acronym, being supplanted by LGBTQIA.

Posted on: 2015/5/4 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/5/4 20:39

Jersey City to create LGBT advisory board
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal

City officials are set to announce the creation of its first LGBT advisory board, one that will give the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community "a seat at the government table," the bill's sponsor said.

The nine-member board, if approved by the City Council, would study and recommend LGBT-centric policies and programs to Mayor Steve Fulop and the City Council. Its members would serve as volunteers, and it would not have policy-making power.

Councilman-at-large Daniel Rivera, the measure's sponsor, said the board would "make sure the city is not reactive, but proactive to issues or incidents that involve the LGBT community."

As support of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community has grown nationwide, it has become increasingly common for city governments to create task forces and advisory boards to build bridges between the two, according to Cathryn Oakley, legislative counsel for Human Rights Campaign, the nation's largest LGBT rights group.

Story

Posted on: 2015/5/4 20:34

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017