Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
49 user(s) are online (40 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 49

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: The Coffee Shop near Grove PATH
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
What's the vibe been like on the weekends? I walked by one Saturday night a few months back and it was Hoboken South, very bad obnoxious crowd with bad dance music.

Posted on: 2015/1/13 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I forgot to mention that PBR drafts beers are 2 for 4 bucks and the ATM is free.
i think the place could become more popular if they add some couches so people feel like they can linger

I agree, the decor seems like an after thought, the furnishings are not very comfortable, the bar is stunning but the stools are not inviting. The bar food is good, they are little heavy on the cheese but its tasty at a fair price. The crowd has picked up from the last time I went. Sorry for the mix up :)

Posted on: 2015/1/13 14:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I forgot to mention that PBR drafts beers are 2 for 4 bucks and the ATM is free.
i think the place could become more popular if they add some couches so people feel like they can linger

Posted on: 2015/1/13 13:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/1/13 13:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
In the morning when I walk by, they have a deal for a free muffin with a coffee. Very tempting.

Looks like a lot of people set up shop in there to use the wifi during the day too. I guess the place is doing ok?

Posted on: 2015/1/9 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Finally stopped in, its a 20 something, chill, mixed crowd. Food was pretty good, and drinks were cheaper than I thought they would be. The music was pretty generic, A little Cake, Jimmy Hendrix, & The Who. Me and my crew would visit again. ,

Posted on: 2015/1/8 19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mrasg1 wrote:
What other businesses?

The Pediatric dentist and the dog sitting place are well done. Also the work/share place indiegrove has a nicely designed aesthetic. It's too bad about that mirror letters of the salon that opened there. The gaudiness hurts my eyes, would be more appropriate in other parts of the city.
Nice to see that terrible looking barber shop close, "Cintron's Place" Hopefully the new store Cintron's plans to open will not look like a condemned hell hole.
It will be a happy day when we finally lose those generic discount shops and the dollar store.
http://indiegrovejc.com

Posted on: 2014/11/30 2:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/24 2:10
Group:
Registered Users
Got two breakfast sandwiches and a coffee to go. They got my order wrong (despite repeating it mulltiple times). The sandwiches were tasty, but the english muffin was incredibly greasy-- I think they buttered and grilled it. I would try again and get a breakfast sandwich on a roll (and check my order before I leave since they are unreliable). The coffee was disappointing-- it tasted very stale-- I hope it was just that batch. I waited at the bar for the sandwiches and was thinking what a nice bright space it was to hang out in the morning with a laptop (as several people were doing) but the stench of cleaning supplies and beer was too overwhelming.

Posted on: 2014/11/29 18:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 18:00
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Stopped in with my daughter on Wednesday early afternoon -- we stood at the door for a few minutes shaking off the rain and snow, no one from staff greeted us, sat us, told us to find a seat -- awkwardly stood around for another minute or so trying to catch someone's eye ... then walked out.

Posted on: 2014/11/29 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
Went there this morning and had an egg, cheese & taylor ham sandwich on a kaiser roll. Aside from being a heart attack waiting to happen it was quite good. The coffee was good but not quite hot enough. I think they are still working out a lot of logistical kinks but it was nice not to have to wait in a long starbucks line and pray that a table was available.

Posted on: 2014/11/23 16:47
I'm not perfect.....but I'm not all bad either.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
This place has pretty decent beer at very fair price. My only complaint is for a place that emphasizes having a bunch of tvs they are horrifically mounted and placed. If you are sitting at the bar you have to crane your neck at an impossible angle to see the screen.

Posted on: 2014/11/20 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
I've only been there for coffee/breakfast, and the people working were pleasant and really anxious to please. Only problem is that I can't get used to being in a bar at 8 am. (OKAY YES I'VE BEEN IN A BAR AT 8 AM BEFORE, DON'T JUDGE ME).

Posted on: 2014/11/20 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
It is quite good the times I've been there. The bistro is fine too. I've never experienced poor service or food quality.

Quote:

Time4JC wrote:
So the consensus is that this place is much better than the Bistro next door?

Posted on: 2014/11/19 20:54

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/4 2:25
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
So the consensus is that this place is much better than the Bistro next door?

Posted on: 2014/11/19 20:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
I've had breakfast there a few times and the lattes and sandwiches are great! Really nice addition to the neighborhood.

Quote:

JackieCruise wrote:
Hey I know I'm probably going to get sniped at because a lot of people don't seem to like the owner. But in the interest of fairness I have to post my recent good experiences at this place.

They have a little food bar in the corner that is run by a Filipino guy and its very good. Last week I had a Philly cheese steak for $8 and it was very good and the guy even threw in some fries with it. Tonight I had a beef quesadilla with rice and beans for $7. It was substantial and quite tasty.

Was drinking Jim Beam all night and it was reasonably priced. Their drink specials seem pretty decent.

Sure like many people I think there are things about this whole "complex" that could be improved but its only right to acknowledge some things they are doing right IMHO

Posted on: 2014/11/19 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
Hey I know I'm probably going to get sniped at because a lot of people don't seem to like the owner. But in the interest of fairness I have to post my recent good experiences at this place.

They have a little food bar in the corner that is run by a Filipino guy and its very good. Last week I had a Philly cheese steak for $8 and it was very good and the guy even threw in some fries with it. Tonight I had a beef quesadilla with rice and beans for $7. It was substantial and quite tasty.

Was drinking Jim Beam all night and it was reasonably priced. Their drink specials seem pretty decent.

Sure like many people I think there are things about this whole "complex" that could be improved but its only right to acknowledge some things they are doing right IMHO

Posted on: 2014/11/19 4:27
I'm not perfect.....but I'm not all bad either.

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/9 18:21
Group:
Registered Users
There's a sign up that they are serving coffee & egg sandwiches in the morning, starting today. When I walked by around 8:30 the door was open, but I didn't see anyone inside.

Posted on: 2014/10/8 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Carmichael wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Silly me, I believed the signs and thought they'd be selling cappucino and sliders, two of my favorite things. They have "food coming soon" on the chalkboard - is that just a ruse and it will stay a generic beer/TV joint?

Remember, these are the same people that adorned the walls of The Bistro with menus that are merely decorative and not representative of what they're actually offering. Worst idea ever for a restaurant.

I stopped by for a beverage and asked the bartender for the menu. They said it's just a soft opening and they were only serving drinks. They said grand opening ({with food) will be soon, I didn't ask exactly when. On a side note, I agree, a decoratrive menu in a restuarant is dumb.

Posted on: 2014/10/8 15:06

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Silly me, I believed the signs and thought they'd be selling cappucino and sliders, two of my favorite things. They have "food coming soon" on the chalkboard - is that just a ruse and it will stay a generic beer/TV joint?

Remember, these are the same people that adorned the walls of The Bistro with menus that are merely decorative and not representative of what they're actually offering. Worst idea ever for a restaurant.

Posted on: 2014/10/8 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/8 13:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
Any other reviews of this place? How's the food? How's the service? Yeah, we all know they're trying to do too much and they've got too many tv's, but do they really have 4 for $5 PBRs? Is that deal all the time, some night's special, or a happy hour deal?

Posted on: 2014/10/8 13:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
JCbiscuit wrote: Quote:
bodhipooh wrote: Quote:
FKSJC wrote: Quote:
mrasg1 wrote: What other businesses? Quote:
mrasg1 wrote: Newark Avenue will soon be like Hoboken and not in a good way with all these bars.
Oh, please. So many Chicken Littles in JCLIST. Newark Avenue will NEVER be like Hoboken. There are a ton of restaurants interspersed with the bars. We don't have any clubs on Newark Ave. If anything, Newark Ave is blooming very nicely with a nice combination of restaurants, bars and other businesses.
Are you serious? Talk about spewing nonsense without having a clue: - New frozen yogurt place at the corner of Newark and Grove (Downtown Yogurt) - Next to Skinner's is a pet shop (Fussy Friends) - Next to Roman Nose is Word (Bookstore and coffee shop) - The Tea Shop - Gia Gelato - the new organic market a just west of Union Republic - various real estate offices There are many other new ( <5 years) businesses that are not restaurants or bars. These are just the ones I could think of while typing this reply.
How could you forget to mention (since not new I guess) the several $0.99 stores?
As per the last line in my post, I listed new places that I could think of off the top of my head. It was not portrayed as a comprehensive list. But, more importantly, the entire list was meant as a response to the contention that only bars have opened in Newark Avenue recently (false premise) and that, therefore, the area is on its way to become another Hoboken.
(psssssst: Hoboken has more than bars, too.)
In what way are you concerned that Jersey City will become like Hoboken? Is it the bars? I'm assuming not since it seems like you know that Hoboken isn't all bro bars. I have no problem with a bro bar, or a hipster bar, a craft beer bar, or whatever. There is still plenty of available storefronts for everyone. The more varied options the better.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 22:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
mrasg1 wrote: Newark Avenue will soon be like Hoboken and not in a good way with all these bars.
Oh, please. So many Chicken Littles in JCLIST. Newark Avenue will NEVER be like Hoboken. There are a ton of restaurants interspersed with the bars. We don't have any clubs on Newark Ave. If anything, Newark Ave is blooming very nicely with a nice combination of restaurants, bars and other businesses.
Are you serious? Talk about spewing nonsense without having a clue: - New frozen yogurt place at the corner of Newark and Grove (Downtown Yogurt) - Next to Skinner's is a pet shop (Fussy Friends) - Next to Roman Nose is Word (Bookstore and coffee shop) - The Tea Shop - Gia Gelato - the new organic market a just west of Union Republic - various real estate offices There are many other new ( <5 years) businesses that are not restaurants or bars. These are just the ones I could think of while typing this reply.
How could you forget to mention (since not new I guess) the several $0.99 stores?
As per the last line in my post, I listed new places that I could think of off the top of my head. It was not portrayed as a comprehensive list. But, more importantly, the entire list was meant as a response to the contention that only bars have opened in Newark Avenue recently (false premise) and that, therefore, the area is on its way to become another Hoboken.
(psssssst: Hoboken has more than bars, too.)

Posted on: 2014/10/7 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2014/10/7 20:52

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/5 17:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2014/10/7 18:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
People forget that grove street out of the path station use to look like old colony square (the pathmark lot).

Now there are restaurants and people who are not homeless actually occupy some of the benches.

Posted on: 2014/10/6 18:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/14 17:51
From Chilltown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
OMG, I got off the Path around 1am on Saturday night, and this place was not only jam-packed, but the scene was really awful. It was a frightening little slice of Hoboken. The music, the clientele, the volume. Really terrible, I'm very disappointed with this place.

I'm not thrilled with the actual operations, marketing and or ownership of the Coffee Shop, Bistro, Wine Bar etc...but I am happy that there are operating businesses where vacant stores were (save for Caldwell Banker). Also, about 15-20 years ago - getting off the PATH at 1am at Grove street presented far more frightening scenes in that "plaza!"

My hope is that now since those buildings are opened, renovated and operating with liquor licenses, perhaps current ownership will look to sell (like the did with York Street and Powerhouse Lounge) and we get more diverse, creative options in that space.

Posted on: 2014/10/6 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Bros have rights too, guys.

Posted on: 2014/10/6 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

mrasg1 wrote:
Newark Avenue will soon be like Hoboken
and not in a good way with all these bars.

Hoboken never set out to be Bro'boken. Restaurant owners noticed how much the ever-younger clientele was spending on booze, and adjusted their business model - and TV count - accordingly.

It can absolutely happen here.

Our restaurant row contains how many liquor licenses? And what's the average lifespan of a Jersey City restaurant? If owners don't see a fast profit on their fine-restaurants-that-serve-booze, you can be damn sure they'll morph into bars-that-serve-food.

People have prophesying this for the past five years. It hasn't happened, and it will not happen. Come find me in five years. I guarantee you we are still not Hoboken.

five years is nothing. I saw the tide begin to change in Hoboken in the early 90s. If we love our city, we'll take the long view.

Posted on: 2014/10/6 16:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

mrasg1 wrote:
Newark Avenue will soon be like Hoboken
and not in a good way with all these bars.

Hoboken never set out to be Bro'boken. Restaurant owners noticed how much the ever-younger clientele was spending on booze, and adjusted their business model - and TV count - accordingly.

It can absolutely happen here.

Our restaurant row contains how many liquor licenses? And what's the average lifespan of a Jersey City restaurant? If owners don't see a fast profit on their fine-restaurants-that-serve-booze, you can be damn sure they'll morph into bars-that-serve-food.

People have prophesying this for the past five years. It hasn't happened, and it will not happen. Come find me in five years. I guarantee you we are still not Hoboken.

Posted on: 2014/10/6 15:36

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017