Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
138 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 138

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Prohibiting Aggressive Begging, Soliciting, and Panhandling
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

score09 wrote:
Well, I looked at the flyer today and managed without the slightest degree of difficulty to comprehend fully that the rally is set for today, March 26th, 2014. Moreover, whoever created the flyer took the time to distribute its message by making the rounds and posting it for the community to see. You think we live in a democracy? That economic elites have no sway in political matters? Were this passed, it most certainly WOULD make it a crime to be poor since it aims to target the poor. This type of grassroots effort -- however misguided and ?idiotic? you THINK it is -- ought to be LAUDED. Not to be met with cynicism, derision and disdain.

So, to characterize the flyer as ?dumb? based on a typographical error that a fourth grader could easily deduce and by disparaging the time and effort vested to rise up and challenge the status quo is really quite smart. Not.

As to the ?dumb? ideas underlying the proposed ordinance, I?ll agree that it makes little sense to impose monetary fines upon the homeless. This much I?ll give you. But only from a humanitarian stance and not a pragmatic one.

Quote:

caj11 wrote:

Let's just say... dumb on both sides.

This proposed law is just dumb, because enforcement would be impossible and how in the hell would a $1250 fine ever be collected from an alleged violator?

Furthermore, this flyer is dumb too, because Jersey City doesn't make any appropriations for defense spending and/or the war in Iraq (or anywhere else). Nor can it be said that the city makes it a "crime to be poor".

I would love to see whatever circus this council meeting turns into. Two sets of idiots duking it out.

Oh, and according to this flyer, the protest was planned and happened a year ago, on a Tuesday (March 26, 2013???).

It doesn't target the poor, it targets a certain type of panhandling. If people with money panhandle (and some panhandlers do have money), then they should be treated the same way.

As for the flyer, a typo doesn't make the intent of the effort "dumb", but anything public facing should be produced with care. The flyer looks like it was made without anyone reviewing/proofing it. The better the message the more people it will help.

Posted on: 2014/3/26 21:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/18 1:42
From Botswana
Group:
Registered Users
Well, I looked at the flyer today and managed without the slightest degree of difficulty to comprehend fully that the rally is set for today, March 26th, 2014. Moreover, whoever created the flyer took the time to distribute its message by making the rounds and posting it for the community to see. You think we live in a democracy? That economic elites have no sway in political matters? Were this passed, it most certainly WOULD make it a crime to be poor since it aims to target the poor. This type of grassroots effort -- however misguided and ?idiotic? you THINK it is -- ought to be LAUDED. Not to be met with cynicism, derision and disdain.

So, to characterize the flyer as ?dumb? based on a typographical error that a fourth grader could easily deduce and by disparaging the time and effort vested to rise up and challenge the status quo is really quite smart. Not.

As to the ?dumb? ideas underlying the proposed ordinance, I?ll agree that it makes little sense to impose monetary fines upon the homeless. This much I?ll give you. But only from a humanitarian stance and not a pragmatic one.

Quote:

caj11 wrote:

This proposed law is just dumb, because enforcement would be impossible and how in the hell would a $1250 fine ever be collected from an alleged violator?

Furthermore, this flyer is dumb too, because Jersey City doesn't make any appropriations for defense spending and/or the war in Iraq (or anywhere else). Nor can it be said that the city makes it a "crime to be poor".

I would love to see whatever circus this council meeting turns into. Two sets of idiots duking it out.

Oh, and according to this flyer, the protest was planned and happened a year ago, on a Tuesday (March 26, 2013???).

Posted on: 2014/3/26 21:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

That's a shame. I'm hoping this gets passed soon.

Posted on: 2014/3/26 20:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
The mall is another great spot to clean up. The first impression NYC shoppers get of JC should not be begging.

They are aggressive and annoying. Those guys "selling candy" for charity have called after me before.

Posted on: 2014/3/26 20:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
What about the guy that sits like a parrot next to the parking machine on the ground floor (by the McDonald's exit/entrance)of the Newport Mall parking lot. He's pleasant enough and not aggressive at all, but it's annoying that most of the time, he's there. He disappeared for a while, but showed up again right before winter looking cleaned up, but now he is a total mess...at least I see him eating in the mall, so the money or some of the money is going to food.

Posted on: 2014/3/26 20:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

score09 wrote:
Saw a flyer today posted on the SE corner of Hamilton Park saying there is to be a rally today in opposition to proposed ordinance but no information on the flyer as to a time.

Resized Image

Jersey City doesn't have money for war and this law doesn't make it a crime to be poor.

Posted on: 2014/3/26 20:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/26 20:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

score09 wrote:
Saw a flyer today posted on the SE corner of Hamilton Park saying there is to be a rally today in opposition to proposed ordinance but no information on the flyer as to a time.

Resized Image

Jersey City doesn't have money for war and this law doesn't make it a crime to be poor.

Posted on: 2014/3/26 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Botswana
Group:
Registered Users
Right. Clear the way so the capitalist machine can march on. Put 'em in jail because our property values are more important. Please.

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
you mean grove street embarrassments. They violate loitering laws all the time, decrease property values, prevent new businesses from opening, and on and on. They should be put in jail for the millions they have cost JC

Posted on: 2014/3/26 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I assume it refers to the council meeting, but certainly could be clearer.

Posted on: 2014/3/26 20:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Botswana
Group:
Registered Users

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/3/26 20:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
There is a homelessness problem, but is there an "aggressive panhandling" problem? I am by Newark Avenue and Grove Street almost every day, and occasionally by Journal Square.

The sight of homeless people may not be pleasant, but I have never seen any of the homeless act "aggressively" towards someone. If they ask for change and someone says no, they don't follow the person, yell at them, or anything of the sort.

Maybe other people have had such experiences, so I don't want to discount it.

There are laws already on the books that prohibit open containers of alcohol, which should be enforced. But otherwise, I don't see this as a major problem.

Lastly, I would note that Grove Street, after the development of Grove Pointe, the rebuilding of the PATH plaza, and the opening of new businesses, is not as bad as it used to be. There are still homeless people but the area is not overwhelmed. Not sure if the police have been patrolling the area more, or if the development has just taken care of issues itself.

But it seems to me, and this is my opinion only, that this is largely a solution in search of a problem. Unless you define "the problem" to be the face that people are homeless.

Posted on: 2014/3/26 11:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Its about time but why did they wait until now to do this. This has always been a problem!

Posted on: 2014/3/26 10:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bill463 wrote:
Paco and Taco! I can never recall their names. He has an apartment on Wayne? Well I suppose that's good. I just assumed from the couple's condition that they were homeless. Spring has sprung and the shopping cart is on the move again! I again saw them for the first time this Spring last week. She had her first fresh black eye of the season. They are really sorta kinda like the Newark Ave. - Grove Street ambassadors.

you mean grove street embarrassments. They violate loitering laws all the time, decrease property values, prevent new businesses from opening, and on and on. They should be put in jail for the millions they have cost JC

Posted on: 2014/3/26 2:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
Paco and Taco! I can never recall their names. He has an apartment on Wayne? Well I suppose that's good. I just assumed from the couple's condition that they were homeless. Spring has sprung and the shopping cart is on the move again! I again saw them for the first time this Spring last week. She had her first fresh black eye of the season. They are really sorta kinda like the Newark Ave. - Grove Street ambassadors.

Posted on: 2014/3/25 23:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bill463 wrote:
Yes yesterday on Facebook Mayor Fulop announced a new crackdown on the homeless. Spring has sprung and that lovely couple ( I forget their names here - Tiki and Tackey? Mimi and Mackey?) have returned for another season! I don't like it when he gets so horribly drunk and pushes her around in the shopping cart in the middle of the street. Once I was delayed a long time on Wayne Street as they just came to a complete stop right in the middle. Does anyone know where they go for the winter? Like clockwork they are back! I don't believe that there is much help for these poor souls - mental illness and drug addiction took over long ago.

You mean Paco and Taco? They didn't disappear for the winter. I see them all the time. They've been hanging out under the new awning at the corner of Barrow and Newark more often than by Box lately.

Posted on: 2014/3/25 21:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bill463 wrote:
Yes yesterday on Facebook Mayor Fulop announced a new crackdown on the homeless. Spring has sprung and that lovely couple ( I forget their names here - Tiki and Tackey? Mimi and Mackey?) have returned for another season! I don't like it when he gets so horribly drunk and pushes her around in the shopping cart in the middle of the street. Once I was delayed a long time on Wayne Street as they just came to a complete stop right in the middle. Does anyone know where they go for the winter? Like clockwork they are back! I don't believe that there is much help for these poor souls - mental illness and drug addiction took over long ago.

When I lived dtjc the young man you speak of family lives on Wayne and he lives with them. If he is still in the neighborhood, he probably just hangs in his apt on Wayne and Jersey ave during winter. I am not sure if his other half lives with them.

Posted on: 2014/3/25 20:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/25 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
They are really bad by the tunnel, they hang out outside the gas stations and other businesses and walk into traffic waiting at the lights to make sure everyone gets a nice welcome to JC. It's a safety hazard at this point.

Posted on: 2014/3/24 18:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
If there's any way to enforce this law (which I doubt), that's great. Otherwise, it's just another toothless piece of legislation that the city council will pass to make themselves look like they got something done.

Anyway, isn't there some kind of state law against this already? I think there is, and would say that enforcement of it has been non-existent.

It's ridiculous. I don't blame people for being upset about this but all the police can really do is move them along to another area. It's a waste of their time to book them when they'll back on the streets doing the same thing when they get out. Politicians know this but couldn't care less.

Posted on: 2014/3/24 12:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
That whole area can be sleazy by The Box. Actually saw a guy urinating by the BOA parking chain link fence one day, he was not even bothered I was looking at him with families coming towards me. Those bums just sit in that area, drinking out of brown bags, asking for money... it is really bad there. I am shocked the businesses don't call the police.

Quote:

JCMan2013 wrote:
Hey in all serious though, I saw the cops actually tell one of the homeless guys that lives outside of the Box restaurant to move the other day. I was very surprised as and pleased to see this.

I don't see how some of the businesses like the Box will survive with a gang of homeless people living next door. I know it stops me from wanting to walk on that side of the street.

did some new rule come about?

Posted on: 2014/3/24 0:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
I've never felt aggressed by any of the Newark Avenue homeless, but Benjamin, the older guy who walks around Harsimus Cove screaming and carrying some sort of stick or pole needs to be calmed down. He scares me.

Posted on: 2014/3/23 23:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I was not joking, when I lived on Van Vorst Park, three groups of people rang my bell all the time:Jehovah Witness, Mormons, and Politicians running for office.

Posted on: 2014/3/23 23:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
If there's any way to enforce this law (which I doubt), that's great. Otherwise, it's just another toothless piece of legislation that the city council will pass to make themselves look like they got something done.

Anyway, isn't there some kind of state law against this already? I think there is, and would say that enforcement of it has been non-existent.

Posted on: 2014/3/23 23:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
I've only had bad experiences with them at the Newark Ave/1&9 intersection, and in front of a couple liquor stores. I don't mind the law going after the aggressive/abusive panhandlers.

Posted on: 2014/3/23 21:03

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/17 2:37
Group:
Registered Users
Hey in all serious though, I saw the cops actually tell one of the homeless guys that lives outside of the Box restaurant to move the other day. I was very surprised as and pleased to see this.

I don't see how some of the businesses like the Box will survive with a gang of homeless people living next door. I know it stops me from wanting to walk on that side of the street.

did some new rule come about?

Posted on: 2014/3/23 20:43

Prohibiting Aggressive Begging, Soliciting, and Panhandling
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
There is a new first reading ordinance prohibiting aggressive begging, soliciting, and panhandling. If this passes, then politicians who are aggressive in asking for your vote could be violating the ordinance they pass.

Posted on: 2014/3/21 18:41

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017