Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Idea for cleaner streets and saving JCPA money
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/14 4:02
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I'm glad we have as much street cleaning as we do. I notice the difference right away. I'm a walker now, but when I had a car I was always appreciative of the honking they would do to alert drivers. That saved me several times from getting a ticket.

I feel free now without a car. I hear the honking and don't have to worry. When I go to sleep at night I don't have to think about which side of the street I'm parked on.

If you're in a position to get rid of your car, I'd recommend it; it's very liberating. I also like the suggestion of parking in LSP light rail parking for a reasonable monthly fee.

Posted on: 2013/9/1 13:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
In my block, 9th/Manila 4x a week is hardly enough. people here are ignorant - these assholes leave McDonalds soda cups, assorted junk food wrappers, Newport cigarette boxes, Arizona tea cans (sometimes on my wall), Spare tires (yes - once I saw this guy changing tires on 9th, then he was gone, flat tire left behind).

And the neighbors! those are the best ones - last night the Incinerator Authority decided the recyclables didn't look tidy enough and decided not to pick them up. so I took back mine, but those idiot neighbors still have their shit on the sidewalk this evening.

should I look in that trash to see who it belongs? Hopefully they retrieve it, but, what does one have to do? We've to resort to guerrilla trash warfare?

Oh, I forget - I still live in the 'Hood. what am I complaining about. LOL.

Quote:

colleen wrote:
I bring up intelligence because [I] you people[/i] can't even count!
The cleaning is done 2x weekly, on each side. Stop whinging!

Posted on: 2013/8/31 3:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/31 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
I bring up intelligence because [I] you people[/i] can't even count!
The cleaning is done 2x weekly, on each side. Stop whinging!

Posted on: 2013/8/31 0:51

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/5 16:21
Group:
Registered Users
An aspect of the street cleaning situation that complicates any possible reform is the fact that it is a two agency operation. The PA drives the cart around ticketing people while the IA does the sweeping. The IA is a hybrid public/private entity NOT controlled by the city, whereas the PA is. No reform can happen in the parking situation while the two agencies involved serve separate and sometimes divergent interests. Fulop's people in the council recently voted down reforms that would bring the IA under the city's control. I saw an article about it somewhere else in the forums.

I don't know if the IA sees any of the funds that come from the ticketing, but all the street cleanliness is probably keeping a few people employed.

My idea is to charge more up front for a neighborhood parking sticker -- at only $15 they're really a bargain -- and cut back the street cleaning to once a week per side. I'd rather pay $150 - $200 for my sticker and know what I'm paying for than get hit with a ticket and deal with the hassle and ill will that comes from moving the car. The IA guys can keep their jobs by spending more time emptying overflowing trashcans.

Posted on: 2013/8/30 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Let me elaborate here - I don't think we should do away with street sweeping entirely. But doing it four times a week on most streets is unnecessary, adds to the carbon emissions, is a jobs program and a parking ticket revenue generator for the city. Once a week on each side of the street would be fine if the sweepers actually did a good job.

Quote:

jklm wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I have often heard people say on this forum that the street sweepers do nothing but spread around the litter, but I disagree based on what I've seen. Our streets are pretty clean. Did you ever go to a city that doesn't have a street sweeping program, like Philadelphia? Even in nice neighborhoods, there is a ton of litter all over the place. I'll take regular street cleaning.

Over in the warehouse/PAD area there are only five blocks with street cleaning - and it shows. Those with street sweeping are noticeably cleaner. The rest look shoddy and trash stays in the gutter for months at a time because property owners don't pick up the trash or weed trimmings. Just look at how dirty the streets get when there's snow piled up - so much trash and dirt piles up over a short period of time.

We also have cars that park for weeks in the same spot - one was here for six months - submerged during Sandy - it was left rotting. We couldn't get anyone to tow it away because its permit was valid. Pressure from parking authority that it would not be renewed when it expired - the owner finally did the right thing and had it towed away. If we had street sweeping, the tickets on the car would have made the tow happen within weeks, instead of six months.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I have often heard people say on this forum that the street sweepers do nothing but spread around the litter, but I disagree based on what I've seen. Our streets are pretty clean. Did you ever go to a city that doesn't have a street sweeping program, like Philadelphia? Even in nice neighborhoods, there is a ton of litter all over the place. I'll take regular street cleaning.

Over in the warehouse/PAD area there are only five blocks with street cleaning - and it shows. Those with street sweeping are noticeably cleaner. The rest look shoddy and trash stays in the gutter for months at a time because property owners don't pick up the trash or weed trimmings. Just look at how dirty the streets get when there's snow piled up - so much trash and dirt piles up over a short period of time.

We also have cars that park for weeks in the same spot - one was here for six months - submerged during Sandy - it was left rotting. We couldn't get anyone to tow it away because its permit was valid. Pressure from parking authority that it would not be renewed when it expired - the owner finally did the right thing and had it towed away. If we had street sweeping, the tickets on the car would have made the tow happen within weeks, instead of six months.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 20:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCMan2013 wrote:
Great observation and great idea.

We need more solutions like this and less negative banter.

Thanks

Thanks you, but sadly it appears folks are far more interested in bitching about parking than ways to cut our bloated city budget and taxes by moving the ways our agencies work into the last decade. You may note I didn't say we should issue drivers smartphones that would automatically upload the pics to a computer that would optically recognize the plate and automatically issue the ticket. That would be too much in THIS decade, and utterly unrealistic!

Posted on: 2013/8/29 19:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I imagine if you can get home before 6:00, it's not bad. But I never really got home that early. Even if it only took 10-15 minutes on some days, it was just such a grind having to do that every day, all for the purpose of having a rarely used vehicle. I guess everybody has different tolerances for pain.

Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I don't understand why people who don't drive regularly keep a car here on the street. There is no bigger hassle than moving it every day. I did it for a few years when I first moved here and I will never ever do it again. In the VVP area it would sometimes take me 45-60 minutes to find a spot if it was after 7:00 or so (which it often was). Even then I'd often have to settle for a spot on the wrong side of the street, and move it in the morning. It was really a horror.

Eh, I'm in VVP but I can find it in a few minutes. Not a big deal to me.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 18:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
There is way too much judging about car usage on here.

Suppose I live in JC to be close to my job in NYC that I take the PATH for.

And on Saturdays, I want to visit my 90 year old granny, who lives in one of the many, many, many areas of NJ with no PT.

And on Sunday, I like to go to the mountains in Sussex. Or LBI to the beach.

I guess my thumb should get a lot of exercise, lest the JCPA not collect revenue?

Come on. The streets do not need to be cleaned 4 times.

Also, it's not just part of urban living. Get tickets for no reason, and the street cleaning program, is just part of a corrupt system that has been rigged for years by the Healys of the world and decades of "leadership" when that was defined as giving your friends cushy, high paid jobs that involve no education and minimal work.

Enough is enough...close the JCPA and keep the zoning at city hall, clean once a week and cleaners should all be part time minimum wage workers.

The city wants to raise money? Fine. Buy one of the many, many abandoned or blighted or underused properties- and there are plenty even DT- and do what Hoboken does and have a lot for your residents at a realistic rate.

But that would take planning, effort, foresight, and ability that City Hall lacked until June. It's time for Fulop to put his foot down on this.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 17:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
> What is the minimum number of moves?

Four!

It can't be done in less than four moves unless you are at home during the day to do the "scoot around the block when the sweeper comes" trick.

I can see you could do it in three for a single week only, where you did not need to worry about position for the following week. But if you are parking on the street every week, it will be four moves per week.

Post your moves and lets see.

Robin.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I don't understand why people who don't drive regularly keep a car here on the street. There is no bigger hassle than moving it every day. I did it for a few years when I first moved here and I will never ever do it again. In the VVP area it would sometimes take me 45-60 minutes to find a spot if it was after 7:00 or so (which it often was). Even then I'd often have to settle for a spot on the wrong side of the street, and move it in the morning. It was really a horror.

Eh, I'm in VVP but I can find it in a few minutes. Not a big deal to me.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/29 16:28

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/17 2:37
Group:
Registered Users
Great observation and great idea.

We need more solutions like this and less negative banter.

Thanks

Posted on: 2013/8/29 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

colleen wrote:
If you have to move your car 4x week you aren't smart enough to drive, further proven by your having a car at all.
You live in a city, if you have a car and don't use it, man up and pay to park or shut up.
Such whiny men in this burg!
Me not being able to find the ideal parking is not a reflection of my intelligence. Parking in this city is really difficult sometimes, and having to play musical cars nearly every day is a gigantic pain in the ass that nobody should have to deal with. I don't have to drive to work because I work in JC close to home, and it seems that people like me get the worst end of this 4x weekly street "cleaning." And I drive even less because I often don't want to move my car for fear of not finding a parking space on the right side.

This doesn't have anything to do with me being lazy, or stupid, or not deserving a car. This has everything to do with a corrupt system that sends dirt distributors down our streets four times each week for no reason except to extort money out of people like me that don't drive to work every day.

I couldn't agree more here. The street sweepers barely do anything other than pick up leaves and the system is corrupt. Nothing but a way for the city to collect revenue and a jobs program. While I know that moving my car around all the time comes with living in a city, let me throw in the fact that getting in our cars to move them four times a week adds to the fuel consumption and emissions. Yes, it's only a little bit for a few minutes typically, but think of all those cars all over the city having to move every week, every year and that's a lot of extra exhaust going into the atmosphere. If these useless street sweepers only worked once a week, think of all the reduced emissions, from all the people their cars AND the sweepers themselves. Of course, the city only would think about the lost ticket revenue and fewer jobs for the people operating these dumb sweepers.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 16:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/29 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

colleen wrote:
If you have to move your car 4x week you aren't smart enough to drive, further proven by your having a car at all.
You live in a city, if you have a car and don't use it, man up and pay to park or shut up.
Me not being able to find the ideal parking is not a reflection of my intelligence. Parking in this city is really difficult sometimes, and having to play musical cars nearly every day is a gigantic pain in the ass that nobody should have to deal with. I don't have to drive to work because I work in JC close to home, and it seems that people like me get the worst end of this 4x weekly street "cleaning." And I drive even less because I often don't want to move my car for fear of not finding a parking space on the right side.

This doesn't have anything to do with me being lazy, or stupid, or not deserving a car. This has everything to do with a corrupt system that sends dirt distributors down our streets four times each week for no reason except to extort money out of people like me that don't drive to work every day.

well, I do the same as you but free parking aint a right. Is it a pain? Yes, but people like us are using more parking that someone who drives to work every day - so the effort is at least somewhat correlated with the (free) benefit we're receiving.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

colleen wrote:

Posted on: 2013/8/29 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
I move my car four times a week, what is not smart about that?

Robin.

What is the minimum number of moves?

Extra credit: You have a fox, a goose, and a sack of grain on one side of a river.

Oh, never mind.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

heights wrote:

This is never addressed at community meetings and rarely brought up durring political campaigns. We should be rallying to have uniformed zoned parking throughout the city, no fee parking on streets, first come first serve non reserved street parking, and have out-of -towners park on one side for a limited amount of time unless they get a visitor pass. I never get a straight answer from the PA on these issues.

That's a lot of very specific advice from someone who's not allowed to drive.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
LSP Park & Ride: $57.50 per month. No hassle, 24 hrs security, no need to move the car, or worry about it being stolen, broken into or damaged by careless drivers/pedestrians.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 14:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I move my car four times a week, what is not smart about that?

Robin.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/29 12:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
Cleaning the streets once a week would make it harder to find parking spots, twice a week cleaning forces a continual turnover of parking spaces.

Cleaning once per week would lead to rarely used cars being left in a spot all week.

Robin.
You know what makes it harder to find a parking spot? Having to move my car FOUR TIMES A WEEK FOR NO GOOD REASON. If I didn't have to move it that often, I wouldn't have to find parking spots! People moving their cars around doesn't free up any spots or make it easier for you, it's not like the number of cars has been reduced.

Posted on: 2013/8/28 21:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
The entire JCPA system needs to be revamped. Cars get boots for first offenses downtown, costing over $300 to undo it. That's ridiculous. The parking and zoning rules in this city are absolutely absurd.

This is never addressed at community meetings and rarely brought up durring political campaigns. We should be rallying to have uniformed zoned parking throughout the city, no fee parking on streets, first come first serve non reserved street parking, and have out-of -towners park on one side for a limited amount of time unless they get a visitor pass. I never get a straight answer from the PA on these issues.

Posted on: 2013/8/28 21:28
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
The entire JCPA system needs to be revamped. Cars get boots for first offenses downtown, costing over $300 to undo it. That's ridiculous. The parking and zoning rules in this city are absolutely absurd.

Posted on: 2013/8/28 20:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Cleaning the streets once a week would make it harder to find parking spots, twice a week cleaning forces a continual turnover of parking spaces.

Cleaning once per week would lead to rarely used cars being left in a spot all week.

Robin.

Posted on: 2013/8/28 20:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Courtesy? What about people who work evenings and need to sleep until later in the morning?

The law consistently shows that people with alternative schedules do not get courtesy during daylight hours. Sleep with earplugs if that's a problem for you.

The law sides with the majority and the majority votes so the majority wins.

Posted on: 2013/8/28 19:27
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Or we could just change the whole system to have street cleaning only once per week. NYC has changed to once per week for most of the city already. There's absolutely no need to clean each side of the street this often, especially since the cleaners don't do anything at all. Everybody knows it's a scam by the JCPA to get ticket revenue at our expense. I've been meaning to write up a letter about it to the council and mayor, but I don't know how much traction it would have.

Don't forget - it's a jobs program too! Gotta keep those patronage mills turning. Hopefully Fulop will wise up to some of this nonsense.

This. They should clean once a week. And shut the JCPA down and turn control over to the JCPD.

Posted on: 2013/8/28 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Courtesy? What about people who work evenings and need to sleep until later in the morning?

The law consistently shows that people with alternative schedules do not get courtesy during daylight hours. Sleep with earplugs if that's a problem for you.

Posted on: 2013/8/28 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I have no problem with the JCPA honking to let people know they're coming. However unfriendly the JCPA is, the courtesy honk is something I support..

The street cleaning times varies from one street to another, people who park could be sleeping, supporting a local business or any number of factors. They honk once or twice and for the most part, everyone moves their cars in time.

Having said all that, they need to get a better cleaner. The cleaner that goes around puts more debris onto the street than it removes. I once posted about how they clean in Detroit. First comes the parking scooter, then a truck comes spraying water flowed by the cleaner. They only do it once a week and once a week is something that should be done in most parts of the city.

Posted on: 2013/8/28 17:55

Edited by sepecat on 2013/8/28 18:22:48

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017