Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
39 user(s) are online (21 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 3
Guests: 36

kimmygo, Monroe, LouBelle, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 15 16 17 (18) 19 20 21 ... 35 »

Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
PATH comes close to providing perfect service on most days.

3/28/2012 12:20:15 PM
Due to a signal problem, service on the NWK-WTC line is operating with a 15 min delay.

3/27/2012 11:17:50 PM
Due to a car equipment problem, service from 33rd street to JSQ is operating with a 15 min delay.

3/23/2012
#ServAdv Because a signal problem, NWK-WTC operating with 20-min delay.

3/19/2012
#ServAdv Due to a car equipment problem, JSQ-33 and HOB-33 are operating with 15-minute delays.

3/15/2012
#ServAdv Due to signal failure, NWK-WTC is operating with a 15-min delay.

3/15/2012
#ServAdv Due to signal failure on the Hackensack River Bridge, NWK-WTC operating with a 15-min delay.

3/5/2012
#ServAdv Due to signal problems, PATH service is limited to Hoboken-33 St and Newark-Journal Square.

That was just March, and only the reported service interruptions.

Posted on: 2012/3/29 23:01
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Yes the PATH has problems. What large public infrastructure these days doesn't? But I take offense at the "Pathetic" in the title of this thread. I'd say in the last 2 years that I've been using PATH on a daily basis, it's caused me to be late to work once. And that was probably no more than an extra 20 minutes, simply because I had to use the WTC line rather than the 33rd Street line.

Is it overcrowded during rush hour, sure, but considering the system was built over 100 years ago (I'm guessing), it's pretty incredible. I don't think anyone could have foreseen this level of traffic back then.

The reality in life is that not to many things are perfect. PATH comes close to providing perfect service on most days. I'm all for having folks post topical issues about something gone wrong on a specific day, or other advisories. But the only thing pathetic are those people who constantly whine about how pathetic PATH is.

Posted on: 2012/3/29 22:11
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Banned
500+ posts, so forgive my laziness, but what transit systems are not pathetic? My criteria include:
24/7 operation
reasonable cleanliness
safety
cops that aren't scarier than the thugs
integration with other transit modes - easy transfer and same payment system

I have only used 3 other systems with regularity: NYC, Paris, Lyon, and except for the 24/7, Lyon meets my criteria. NYC probably violates the Geneva convention (I always feel like a POW) and is filthy, Paris stinks (a metro cologne "Madeleine", named after the stinkiest station doesn't help (personal hygiene is not the problem)) and is stiffling in the warmer months as well as being more crowded than NYC despite trains running as often as 90 seconds apart (ligne 14).

I would love to be able to e-mail myself to midtown, but all attempts have been stymied by my shoes which just don't
transfer, except for my espadrilles, of course.

Posted on: 2012/3/29 10:29
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trambone wrote:
I know of one business in flushing that would love the 7 to extend to Jersey.

Maybe we can convince them to call the station at our eld of the 7 line "Shea Terminal."

Posted on: 2012/3/28 8:52
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Exchange Place/JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
woodstock1 wrote:
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011 ... dge_rules_grove_stre.html

What ever happened with this ruling.... did the PA appeal? Haven't heard a peep about this in the news... can't imagine they will be able to get it overturned. When would be the estimate that they actually start working on an ADA accessible entrance for Grove Street?

I saw a card at the PATH station about temporary wheelchair service. It doesn't count if you use crutches or a cane.

PATH offers free temporary bus shuttle service, exclusively for customers using wheelchairs, between Grove Street Station and Exchange Place or Newport stations.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/temporary-wheelchair-service.html

Posted on: 2012/3/27 20:06
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Heights, thank you for the heads up about the Bike JC meeting. I will try to make it there. Biking in JC is definitely a topic of great interest to me. I am sure we have crossed paths at some point. I ride here all the time and would love to see some improvements.

Posted on: 2012/2/25 12:52
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/201 ... bway-riders/?ref=nyregion

No transferring from BDFM next week after 10p. All trains suspended for overnight repairs.

"Starting Monday night and continuing through Friday morning, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority is shutting down parts of the B, D, F and M lines from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. There will be no service at all on those lines between West Fourth Street and 57th Street on those nights."

Plan accordingly.

Posted on: 2012/2/25 11:48
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Banned
Hudson county is a transportation hub and a lot of suburban NJ people take the PATH trains to work in Manhattan. This adds to the overcrowding.

Posted on: 2012/2/25 10:01
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I know of one business in flushing that would love the 7 to extend to Jersey.

Posted on: 2012/2/24 10:32
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
The combination of ARC tunnel and new signal system by 2017 would have assuaged the crush of people that will be relying on the system by then.

What's going on with the whole 7 train expansion? Is that still being considered? I can't imagine the fiscal nightmare between the two states considering riders can't even pay for unlimited metro cards that work for both the PA and the MTA.

The 7 train is a fantasy. I mean, its not an unrealistic fantasy, but it wasn't anything that existed as even a concept before Christie cancelled the tunnel. Amtrak will probably have built their high speed rail tunnel before the 7 train is extended.

I think there was some talk of commissioning a feasibility study, which would probably fall under the auspices of NYC division of planning or the MTA and cost a few hundred thousand dollars or more. From there there are environmental studies, design and planning, funding issues, federal interstate train issues and so the whole process is easily 10 years starting from when Bloomberg uttered something about a 7 train.

That said, there are big businesses that will profit from the 7 train, especially if there is a stop on the north end of Hoboken / Weehawken border in addition to Secaucus. Big developers have a lot of profit to gain and also developers in Long Island City get a boost for their office tower market because suddenly getting from suburban NJ to LIC is much, much easier.

Posted on: 2012/2/24 10:04
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
The combination of ARC tunnel and new signal system by 2017 would have assuaged the crush of people that will be relying on the system by then.

What's going on with the whole 7 train expansion? Is that still being considered? I can't imagine the fiscal nightmare between the two states considering riders can't even pay for unlimited metro cards that work for both the PA and the MTA.

Posted on: 2012/2/24 0:46
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/2/23 22:49
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Toll Hikes of course are causing this increase. Harrison too has had a huge increase and that station is a dump with no loading zone outside for drop offs & pick-ups. It's actually very dangerous and the road isn't even finished yet. PA is a bunch of high payroll idiots who don't care about anyone but themselves......

Posted on: 2012/2/23 22:07
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Agreed about the ever increasing crowding inside the PATH cars. I commute with a bicycle, and I am finding it harder and harder to bring it on board between 6:30 and 7:00 PM. I now ride the PATH to HOB and simply ride back into JC via the Newport walkway. I am not sure what to make of the uptick in ridership, but it is a real issue, with or without a bike. I don't know how the PATH will fare with all these new high-rises being approved and built. We will likely see an additional 3,000 residential units come on the market over the next few years. I don't want to think about what riding the PATH will be like in 2015!

2015 sees so far away but it is just a few short years away which will be here before you know it. With 3000 units expected that would be the minimum if it only houses one person per unit so the population count may be higher. Using the Hoboken PATH is a smart idea, have you thought about getting a folding bike ? If you have time Bike JC www.bikejc.org is having their monthly meeting next week on Tuesday February 28th at 8pm the meeting will take place in the Zeppelin Beer Hall. Perhaps you might have some ideas regarding commuting by bike.

Posted on: 2012/2/23 18:49
Get on your bikes and ride !
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed about the ever increasing crowding inside the PATH cars. I commute with a bicycle, and I am finding it harder and harder to bring it on board between 6:30 and 7:00 PM. I now ride the PATH to HOB and simply ride back into JC via the Newport walkway. I am not sure what to make of the uptick in ridership, but it is a real issue, with or without a bike. I don't know how the PATH will fare with all these new high-rises being approved and built. We will likely see an additional 3,000 residential units come on the market over the next few years. I don't want to think about what riding the PATH will be like in 2015!

Posted on: 2012/2/23 17:26
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
When they expand the platforms at Grove Street for longer trains there will be elevators installed.

...of course, expanding the station has been a long term plan for a number of years now.

Posted on: 2012/2/22 11:39
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011 ... dge_rules_grove_stre.html

What ever happened with this ruling.... did the PA appeal? Haven't heard a peep about this in the news... can't imagine they will be able to get it overturned. When would be the estimate that they actually start working on an ADA accessible entrance for Grove Street?

Posted on: 2012/2/22 11:05
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

chiefdahill wrote:
Coming home tonight from 33rd St was crazy.... like Tokyo Metro Crazy!

Weird that you mention that... I rode home last night from 33rd at 8pm and was completely crushed. I've never, ever, seen it so insanely full at that hour and was asking myself what was up. There didn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary like a delay that led to a buildup of commuters.

Posted on: 2012/2/22 11:03
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I feel that it's getting more crowded every week. It's always been crowded and I definitely noticed an uptick about 1-2 years ago but again most recently in the past 6 months it's gotten unbearable. Coming home tonight from 33rd St was crazy.... like Tokyo Metro Crazy!

I'm not sure we are going to be make it ahead of the signal upgrades.

Posted on: 2012/2/21 21:01
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
For next train information, I use
http://nextpath.info

Quick, easy and it works perfectly from a mobile device.

Posted on: 2012/2/21 15:50
Print Top

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
send a text to 266266 with the origin and destination (ie "grove to 33") and you get a reply with the next three trains.

Posted on: 2012/2/19 20:23
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Hey, does anybody know if there is an app or any other tool that determines when the next PATH train is leaving a station?

ITrans PATH

Posted on: 2012/2/18 19:58
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Hey, does anybody know if there is an app or any other tool that determines when the next PATH train is leaving a station?

Posted on: 2012/2/18 17:35
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dwntowntrain wrote:
Quote:

The new station should have a whole new set of stairs and escalators and connect to a massive underground corridor linking Battery Park to the Fulton Transit center.

By new station are you just referring to a different way to get out of the current station? I'm assuming that the exit path will follow the same route as when the WTC station reopened where everyone walked east. You will then be able to connect to the 1 and N, R-Cortland street station, and walk in a passageway under Dey street to connect to the Fulton Street Transit Center. Is this correct?

The glass "stegosaurus" dome should shift the main entrance south and east to where the main staircase was in 2005-2007, leading out onto Church.
http://www.panynj.gov/wtcprogress/wtc-site-plan.html

This space should be a lot more pedestrian friendly than the thin corridor connecting W. Broadway and Church now. Presumably there will be other exits and entrances elsewhere. The retail corridor should connect from around the Winter Garden through the World Trade Center site as far as the Fult Street Transit hub.
http://www.panynj.gov/wtcprogress/wtc-retail.html

When everything is completed, the PATH should connect with Chambers-Park Place on the 1,2,3,A,C,E and Fulton Street 4,5,J,M,Z and Courtland N,R.

Posted on: 2012/2/15 0:25
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

The new station should have a whole new set of stairs and escalators and connect to a massive underground corridor linking Battery Park to the Fulton Transit center.

By new station are you just referring to a different way to get out of the current station? I'm assuming that the exit path will follow the same route as when the WTC station reopened where everyone walked east. You will then be able to connect to the 1 and N, R-Cortland street station, and walk in a passageway under Dey street to connect to the Fulton Street Transit Center. Is this correct?

Posted on: 2012/2/14 17:09
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah the whole exiting process from the WTC station is painful. It takes about 5 minutes to get from the train to Church Street. Compare that to the 33rd Street terminal, which takes about 1-2 minutes. Doesn't 33rd Street handle the same volume that WTC does? Why couldn't the WTC station be modeled after the 33rd?

Posted on: 2012/2/14 15:01
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dwntowntrain wrote:
Is there any plan to add more staircases to the WTC platforms to alleviate exit crowds?

There had been some discussion about not replacing some of the stairs when costs were rising a few years ago, but then it was realized the folly of that plan. Of course now that the Sandwiches and Cuomo are crying about costs, who knows.

Posted on: 2012/2/14 14:27
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Is there any plan to add more staircases to the WTC platforms to alleviate exit crowds?

Posted on: 2012/2/14 14:19
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
"Samson, along with Rechler, and Commissioners William Schuber and Jeffrey Lynford, formed the four-member committee that conducted the review, which the governors ordered after an audit by New York Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli found the agency had paid $85.7 million in overtime in 2010 to 5,360 of its employees of its 6,977 employees.

Auditors found that the total cost of compensation and benefits for average active Port Authority employees exceeds $143,000. They said 93 percent of authority employees make no contribution to health care, compared with 100 percent of New York and New Jersey employees who do."

lulz.

Posted on: 2012/2/8 20:37
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/2/8 15:19
Print Top

« 1 ... 15 16 17 (18) 19 20 21 ... 35 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password: