Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
88 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 88

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: MorrisCanal Park -- for dogs or kids?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sjcarolan wrote:
Quote:

neanoora wrote:
Also, I find it extremely curious that now when the weather is nice, the park if full of dogs. What about in the middle of winter - don't those dogs need to run out then too? We certainly take our kid to outings regardless of the weather - he needs fresh air just like anyone else.

Really??? You find it curious why a park is busier when the weather is nice? I wouldn't know, as I dont frequent parks in the middle of winter. Based on your post one would assume that in the middle of winter the park is chock full of kids. I am a dog owner and I do let my dog run at Morris, it is a great place to do so. That said I only do so when the park is relatively empty early am or late afternoon.

Really!!! You only let your dog run when the park is "relatively empty early in the am or late afternoon" So your saying it's okay to break the law at those times, or that the people that are there at that time dont mind your dog?
There are so many things wrong with your statement but I'm just going to keep it simple and say that you are just palin 'ol WRONG!
There are leash laws in Jersey City early in the morning and later in the afternoon.

Posted on: 2010/4/19 11:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
I don't have dogs or kids.
I would love to have my wedding photos taken at this park come July. If your dog or kid does not pee/slobber on my pouffy dress I promise not to go all hava nagilah on your azz.

Posted on: 2010/4/18 23:28

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/22 15:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neanoora wrote:
Also, I find it extremely curious that now when the weather is nice, the park if full of dogs. What about in the middle of winter - don't those dogs need to run out then too? We certainly take our kid to outings regardless of the weather - he needs fresh air just like anyone else.

Really??? You find it curious why a park is busier when the weather is nice? I wouldn't know, as I dont frequent parks in the middle of winter. Based on your post one would assume that in the middle of winter the park is chock full of kids. I am a dog owner and I do let my dog run at Morris, it is a great place to do so. That said I only do so when the park is relatively empty early am or late afternoon.

Posted on: 2010/4/18 23:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
The people who own dogs here are the most inconsiderate, entitled asses in JC.

Second only to those who own children.

I disagree with this post. I think they are neck-and-neck.

Posted on: 2010/4/16 15:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/11 20:22
Group:
Registered Users
I am taking back my earlier comment that my kid and dogs work mostly fine at Morris Canal. Last night, some obnoxious dog owners were telling me to watch my kid so their dogs could run free (off leash of course). That is bull! Hey, my kid doesn't poop and pee all over the place, and I am with him at all times. Dog owners are not with their dogs and seeing what happens a lot of the time. Also, I find it extremely curious that now when the weather is nice, the park if full of dogs. What about in the middle of winter - don't those dogs need to run out then too? We certainly take our kid to outings regardless of the weather - he needs fresh air just like anyone else.

Posted on: 2010/4/16 15:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/7 3:21
Group:
Registered Users
Everybody here has noticed the same thing, the park is in disarray. That's why we should push our state and city govt to do something. Not to mention the corporations who have gotten huge tax abatements. How about Crystal Point, KHovanian, Equity Residential and Goldman fund the park? The plan the local group has for the park isn't perfect but looks good to me.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/4/14 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

phDog wrote:
i definitely think its unfortunate that a segment of the dog owning population makes the law abiding, responsible owners look bad. I'm a dog owner and dogs are a very large part of my life but if i had had a child and any loose dog approached, I would do whatever I had to do to prevent any contact. there have been occasions that, while walking my ex's dog aggressive dog, we have been rushed at this park and I had to kick the offending dog. I felt terrible for the dog and usually had something less than cordial to say to the owner. it sucks but I'm not going to let my dog be bothered or potentially put in a situation where it feels it needs to bite.

last weekend i saw a cop sitting in his car watching the dogs run off leash for about 20 min without doing anything.

+++1.

Animal control is seperated from the police dept. Jersey City needs to rearrange things before they can work.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 13:43

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/25 3:38
Group:
Registered Users
I think a compromise needs to be reached. Overall JC and NJ in general are behind the curve when it comes to off leash dog laws.

Since Morris Canal is owned by LSP, the park should adopt off leash dog hours, similar to Central Park (dogs allowed off leash before 9AM and after 9PM.) I think even after 8PM would be fine since most kiddies are in bed by then. Also restrict the off leash area of MCP to the far end of the peninsula. They should not be near that circular walkway where the benches are.

I support off leash dogs (with rules... yes I know there are dog runs but some dogs do not do well in them and most dogs do need a large space to run free in addition to their normal walks). However, the Morris Canal Park is out of control. People are inconsiderate there and most do not pick up their dogs poop. As a dog owner myself nothing infuriates me more.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 13:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/20 2:38
Group:
Registered Users
I fully agree that there are way too many people at this park with off-leash dogs. And although they would all universally say that their dogs are fine off-leash, I have seen far too many incidents of dogs running after and jumping on people.

I bring my dog to that park all the time (always on-leash) but I fully sympathize with those who want to be able to enjoy he park without having to deal with dogs.

This is just another example of how breaking "minor" or "inconsequential" laws/rules is endemic around here. And there's always an excuse.

People allow their dogs off-leash because "my dog is well-behaved". Just like people bring hot coffee on the PATH because "I'm not going to spill it". Just like people drop chicken bones because "it's not a big deal".

It's obnoxious, but I guess I've just come to expect it.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 13:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/30 14:07
Group:
Registered Users
i definitely think its unfortunate that a segment of the dog owning population makes the law abiding, responsible owners look bad. I'm a dog owner and dogs are a very large part of my life but if i had had a child and any loose dog approached, I would do whatever I had to do to prevent any contact. there have been occasions that, while walking my ex's dog aggressive dog, we have been rushed at this park and I had to kick the offending dog. I felt terrible for the dog and usually had something less than cordial to say to the owner. it sucks but I'm not going to let my dog be bothered or potentially put in a situation where it feels it needs to bite.

last weekend i saw a cop sitting in his car watching the dogs run off leash for about 20 min without doing anything.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 13:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
I've seen dog owners actually give attitude when they were asked to leash their dogs at that park. "My dog is friendly", or "My dog is well trained" they say. It doesn't matter how great your dog is, you need to leash them. I've had many people say, after their unleashed dogs jump and sniff around the stroller that I'm pushing with my kids in them "Oh, don't worry, he's just looking for cheerios." On what planet do you think it's OK for your animal to do that? How do you know that your dog isn't going to snap at my baby?

I've even seen owners let their dogs jump on the high flowerbeds at Pier House and pee and poop on the flowers. Honestly, I'm sick of people here moaning and kvetching about kids and parents in JC whenever someone with a child complains about unleashed dogs. I don't let my child run up to your dog, nor do I let them crawl all over you for snacks. How would you like it if I threw my child's poop on the sidewalk and not pick it up? It's infuriating when people compare children with dogs. My kid is going to grow up and work and support your butt when you are on social security. What is your dog going to do for me?

The things is, I love dogs! I've had them growing up and I'd love to have one when we move out of this city. It's not the dogs that I am pissed about, it's the owners. And of course, not all dog owners are inconsiderate. There is a dog walker in the neighborhood who we are very friendly with and she is always very considerate and will let my children pet her dogs if we ask. It really is the inconsiderate ones who ruin it for everyone.

And for the record, that park should be for kids AND dogs. The dogs just need to have responsible owners.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 13:07

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/21 19:56
Group:
Registered Users
The best part is that I have other dog owners come up to me and tell me that I should take my greyhound there to let him run off-leash. As if I'm that stupid.

I took him there when I first got him and wasn't used to his reactions, and a little off-leash terrier ran up to him and then ran away. Hello, prey drive! My greyhound bolted after him and then cried when he hit the end of my leash. The terrier's owners said, "Oh, I'm sorry. I guess we should leash him."

Idiots.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 12:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/17 12:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Croft wrote:
I find is park to be pretty breathtaking as far as the view is concerned. I go there with my dogs to relax on a bench to eat my lunch. they are always leashed and guess what! I pick up their poop!...though they usually have gone before i even get there. Also! I discourage people from coming up to my dogs - kids included. I also dislike the unleashed dogs that invite themselves to start bothering my dogs. What can you do? I enjoy sitting by the water without being a nuissance or having others disrupt me. I avoid the children and the parents are usually very considerate and thankful for that. I'm glad they're writing out tickets. The amount of unleashed dogs there is really ridiculous. Lincoln park has a huge dog run and van vorst is only a short walk away.

Agreed Croft, it is lovely, such a shame. Great post!

Mary Ann

Posted on: 2010/4/14 11:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
I have a whole collection of off leash and dogs tied to store front photos, two taken yesterday alone. They'll be available online when I get my computer back.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 8:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
I find is park to be pretty breathtaking as far as the view is concerned. I go there with my dogs to relax on a bench to eat my lunch. they are always leashed and guess what! I pick up their poop!...though they usually have gone before i even get there. Also! I discourage people from coming up to my dogs - kids included. I also dislike the unleashed dogs that invite themselves to start bothering my dogs. What can you do? I enjoy sitting by the water without being a nuissance or having others disrupt me. I avoid the children and the parents are usually very considerate and thankful for that. I'm glad they're writing out tickets. The amount of unleashed dogs there is really ridiculous. Lincoln park has a huge dog run and van vorst is only a short walk away.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 8:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/17 12:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
yes I did hear a bunch of tickets were issued recently so someone has been calling the cops. The dog owners have ruined this park, it's a Giardia ridden swampland. Gross

Posted on: 2010/4/14 3:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcresidentandmom wrote:
Yes. I see them out there sometimes. I learned it's a $500 ticket. The dog owners leash them when they see the cars pull up, then take them off the leashes again when the police leave.

Take pictures. There wasteing the cops time!! The cops will ticket off the pictures. 50.00 fine not 500.00. I wish it was a $500.00 fine!!!

Posted on: 2010/4/14 2:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/14 17:17
Group:
Registered Users
Yes. I see them out there sometimes. I learned it's a $500 ticket. The dog owners leash them when they see the cars pull up, then take them off the leashes again when the police leave.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 1:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Have you guys tried calling the cops and reporting them?

Posted on: 2010/4/14 1:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/14 17:17
Group:
Registered Users
I have a toddler, and love going to Morris Canal to look at the ducks, geese AND DOGS!

However, I have a serious problem with the dogs that aren't on leashes and run amok. I have been carrying my one-year-old and been bum-rushed by large dogs, I have had dogs ransack my picnic lunch...frankly, I have considered carrying pepper spray to just hose those particular dogs.

It is scary and dangerous to have dogs off leash. Even if they're "friendly", it only takes one bite, one nip, one claw, to cause catastrophic injury to a small child.

I have had it with owners who let their dogs run up to strangers, who let their dogs sniff strollers, who let their dogs go for food that a person is carrying. Not because I don't love dogs, but because it is DANGEROUS.

As an animal lover, I want the dogs to have a fun place to play. I feel bad that their owners thought it wise to have a 100lb dog in a 1 bedroom apartment in Jersey City. IF YOU DON'T HAVE A BACK YARD, YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS OWNING A LARGE DOG.

However, I will not put my safety at risk for the sake of these cruel dog owners. I will kick at, scream at, or pepper spray, any off-leash dog that rushes my way.

SHAME ON YOU, DOG OWNERS!! THERE IS A DOG RUN AT VAN VORST PARK!!! IF YOU DON'T WANT A $500 TICKET OR A SWIFT KICK TO THE HIND LEGS, KEEP THEM ON A LEASH!!!!!

Posted on: 2010/4/14 1:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
can't we just combine all dog and park threads into one.

Posted on: 2010/4/13 18:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

itsaurora wrote:
I think snowflake20 has a little bit of an anger problem. (but this thread has become very entertaining)

Also, I do agree that this park has become a free for all dog park with many dog owners there having little regard for anyone else. Just because a dog is nice and friendly and cute doesn't mean the leash law doesn't apply.

Yep, I have an anger problem!!! :)

Posted on: 2010/4/13 18:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/30 0:28
From Belmont Ave.
Group:
Registered Users
I think snowflake20 has a little bit of an anger problem. (but this thread has become very entertaining)

Also, I do agree that this park has become a free for all dog park with many dog owners there having little regard for anyone else. Just because a dog is nice and friendly and cute doesn't mean the leash law doesn't apply.

Posted on: 2010/4/13 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/30 14:07
Group:
Registered Users
well, thats not very nice at all

Posted on: 2010/4/13 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:

You are an @sshole. You were a kid once. Maybe your mom should have aborted you, since kids are such a blight on society.

Posted on: 2010/4/13 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:

Posted on: 2010/4/13 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The whole waterfront at Paulus Hook is disgusting. A couple of weeks ago, my child got poop on her hands when she fell down while playing by the walkway. The people who own dogs here are the most inconsiderate, entitled asses in JC. Especially the ones who own dogs and have children. Just because your child gets along with your dog, doesn't mean it's OK to have it run around unleashed and slobbering all over my child's stroller.

I'll chalk up the childless dog owners for being clueless about their unleashed dogs, but the ones with kids really gets me angry. Either way, I am sick of it. Leash your #OOPS#ing dog!

I am hoping the new playground that is supposedly ready in May will be dog free.

I try to avoid Morris Canal. With the broken glass and sh!t everywhere, it's just not a safe place to play. This place is just a complete sh!thole that just looks nice on the surface. Look any closer, you'll see sh!t everywhere.

Posted on: 2010/4/13 16:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/11 20:22
Group:
Registered Users
we are one of the heavy kid users of the morris canal park. the dogs do not bother us much, as our kid loves the dogs .

Posted on: 2010/4/13 16:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/21 20:09
Group:
Registered Users
I like dogs in general but the off-leash dogs are a real problem there. That the peninsula has become a de facto dog park excludes other users (who are actually obeying the law).

I'm a runner and used to make that park part of my evening routine... Not anymore, dogs chase runners, especially in the dark when they're feeling threatened. So I found that I had to really adjust/slow down around dogs that are already excited from being around other dogs. If I had kids, I'd be livid.

Posted on: 2010/4/13 16:04

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/4/9 19:59
Group:
Registered Users
finding the money to repair the park is an ongoing debate which will hopefully be resolved soon. this is from yesterday:

The commissioner of the state Department of Environmental Protection said he will investigate whether there is funding to address erosion issues at Liberty State Park in Jersey City.

Assemblywoman Joan Quigley questioned Commissioner Bob Martin during today?s Assembly Budget Committee hearing in Trenton.

Citing an article in today?s Jersey Journal, Quigley said she was concerned about erosion at Liberty State Park and nearby Peninsula Park. Both are owned by the state.

?Is there any kind of an emergency fund that the DEP has to address issues like this and what other damage may have been done in other parks around the state,? she asked.

Martin said the department does can use corporate business tax money for capital improvements at state parks and said he would look into the issues in Jersey City.

Peninsula Park, at the South end of Washington Street, is situated between the Morris Canal and the Tidewater Basin in the Paulus Hook section of Downtown Jersey City. It is technically part of Liberty State Park.

Peninsula Park loses about 10 cubic feet of soil a year, according to the state. In addition 3 to 4 feet were lost in the recent heavy rains.

Across the canal, Liberty State Park is also suffering from erosion. The state closed a walkway near Liberty House restaurant because of a crumbly bulkhead.

?I?m afraid somebody is going to fall off that patio one of these days and end up in the Hudson,? Quigley told Martin.

At one point as much as $13.5 million was allocated to stabilize the waterfront parks and construct a walkway to connect Peninsula Park to the neighboring Colgate Clock property. But over the years the state allocated the funds for other things.

After the hearing Quigley said she is still concerned but was reassured Martin spoke of a capital fund.

?I think the most important part of what he said is there is a fund,? she said.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... have_money_to_fix_je.html

Posted on: 2010/4/13 14:23

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017