Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
145 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 10 »

Re: Newark Avenue StreetScape
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
From Steve Fulop's quarterly update letter:

Newark Avenue Streetscape

The Council has now approved the appropriate funding for Phases II and III of the Newark Avenue Streetscape project. Phase II continues to move west to Coles Street and Phase III of the project will run from Coles Street to Summit Avenue. The Phase III portion from Coles Street to the bridge over Conrail, just west of 7th Street, will mirror the streetscape improvement you can now see being completed for Phases I & II.

I want to let you know that Phase I & II are near completion and all night work is complete. We are looking at completion by the end of the year, or by January at the latest. A public ceremony will take place in Mercado Park to celebrate the revitalization of Newark Avenue.

Phase III plans are being finalized and will be submitted to the Department of Transportation by November 30th. This phase, with grant money totaling $4.3 million, will go out to bid this coming December or January. Work will start in March or April of 2010. We have also received many inquiries on the streetscape foliage. Right now you will see planted 17 KarpickRed Maple trees, 16' high planted in conventional 5' x 5' tree pits with a black colored frame and grate. Still to be planted and placed mainly from Grove Street to Erie are 15 smoke bush trees, 4'-5' high planted in 48" diameter by 36" high concrete planters. Finally, there will also be 3 red maples 4" dia., 16'-18' high planted at Mercado Park in 5' x 5' tree pits which have already been installed. The Mercado Monument will be flanked by a 4' high Alberta Spruce on either side. The plantings inside the 20' dia. planting area have yet to be determined by the Historic Downtown Special Improvement District (HDSID) and/or the Jersey City Division of Parks & Forestry.

Posted on: 2009/10/30 13:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Wait, so there are really no trees between Barrow and Grove? So much for a tree-lined street...

and didn't the original drawing have trees? they really pulled this whole thing together.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 18:15

Re: Holes in sidewalk Jersey Ave and First St.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
To the JOGI Contractor,

Thanks for taking the time to address my questions and concerns. I thought those holes might be for street signs, but I wasn't sure. I am relieved that it is not for additional parking meters.

I know you said in your previous post a few months back that if we had any questions we could ask for you at the project site. Unfortunately I leave well before the sun rises and usually don't get home till after dark, so I am not able to touch base with you in person. Again thank you for providing answers and keeping the residents in the loop.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 1:03
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
Sub-contractor....need I say more.

Posted on: 2009/10/27 22:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Wait, so there are really no trees between Barrow and Grove? So much for a tree-lined street...

Posted on: 2009/10/27 15:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/12 22:46
Group:
Registered Users
They are for street signs. Newark Ave is getting all new traffic and parking signs which will be installed shortly. I apollogize for the amount of time those holes have been there but our sub-contractor says they are taking a long time to manufacture them. I call them on a daily basis to transfer the pressure I'm under by JC onto them.

Not to crosspost I'll answer your road project completion thread here. On First and Jersey there were some vehicles in the way which were local residents. Rather than asking them to move we plan on completing that work when we return to finish the crosswalks. JC is seeing how much money is left in our contract to decide how these crosswalks will be completed. The polymer resin crosswalks (the fake red brick effect you see on Erie) are ultra expensive and with all the basement reconstructions the city was forced to undertake during sidewalk construction they may not legally be able to pay us to do them. State contracts law prohibits a public contract to exceed 20% of the bid amount. JC is waiting for the final quantities to see how many if any crosswalks will be done this way under our contract. Right now I am working with JC to determine the final as-built quantities....and no we havnt been paid....to answer your question.

We are not finished. The silver "cobra" streetlights still need to come down and the sidwalk patched as soon as PSE&G starts to install the black ornamental ones next week. The trash cans and the 15 36" high black concrete planters need to be installed between Barrow and Grove as well as the monument and decorative light in the center of Mercado Park. The job is starting to come together but unfortunately it is taking slightly longer than anticipated primarily due to PSE&G who I've been leaning on since April but are finally set to start on Nov.2.

I hope this answers some questions.

Oh and I happen to think JC made the right decision by facing the benches outward...interaction with people on the sidewalk was the intent rather than looking away from them and it seems to be exactly what is happening. I would also feel safer that way. just my .02

Posted on: 2009/10/27 14:17

Holes in sidewalk Jersey Ave and First St.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know what the week-old holes about 3 or 4 inches in diameter drilled into the new sidewalks in the area of Jersey Ave and First Streets are for? I was thinking meters but their placement is inconsistent with one another and other already in-place meters. I would be agitated if they were as this will take away more parking spots for residents.

Any ideas?

Posted on: 2009/10/24 12:55
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Fair, but not great amount of trees from Coles to Barrow.

No trees from Barrow to Grove. Too bad.

Posted on: 2009/9/29 23:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/17 18:39
Group:
Registered Users
I am just happy to see trees. YEAH.

Posted on: 2009/9/29 21:56

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/23 16:00
Group:
Registered Users
don't know. I only saw from around Jersey to Grove and they seemed to be evenly spaced.

Posted on: 2009/9/29 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:
The tress are goin in on Newark!!!! Its going to look good.... and they are Maples too. :)

Aren't there not long stretches that will be without trees?

Posted on: 2009/9/29 16:25

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

srg1 wrote:
The benches look nice but are they practical? I thought there was an understanding at this point that benches like this will become a place to sleep for homeless people in urban settings. Isn't that why the platforms (the area next to the red circle of bricks) outside the Grove Street PATH station are slanted? Isn't that why the benches in the PATH stations have dividers?

These benches seem like a perfect place for people to sleep.

I have no problem at all with someone with no roof or bed to find a place to sit off the ground Those benches aren't wide enough to sleep on and have center arm rests to make it kinda hard to go horizontal.

The tress are goin in on Newark!!!! Its going to look good.... and they are Maples too. :)

Posted on: 2009/9/29 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/7 0:45
Group:
Registered Users
The benches look nice but are they practical? I thought there was an understanding at this point that benches like this will become a place to sleep for homeless people in urban settings. Isn't that why the platforms (the area next to the red circle of bricks) outside the Grove Street PATH station are slanted? Isn't that why the benches in the PATH stations have dividers?

These benches seem like a perfect place for people to sleep.

Posted on: 2009/9/29 14:51

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
those gravel squares at various points the side walk are for new trees (i'm assuming). And the new benches look really nice.

Posted on: 2009/9/28 15:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Have reserved judgement on the Newark ave. work until substantially complete, which it sort of is getting close to.

So far, sidewalks, curbs, some benches and some street paving.

Evaluations of quality of work aside, the entire result is underwhelming to say the least. The lack of trees (sidewalk vaults below or not) is most glaring and is the one element that would have made the most difference.

I'm not sure the casual observer would even know a 'rehabilitation' has taken place.

Posted on: 2009/9/28 2:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/10 23:12
From Henderson Yards
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JcNDlovingIT wrote:
Reading this blog leads me to the conclusion that humanity is filled with stupid ignorant people.
3 am jackhammering... WAAAAHH
our streets aren't paved.... WAAAHH
Why do I have an annoying child that needs daycare... WAAAHHH

Also a thanks to Jogi who posted his response and answered all the questions all you babies posted about the project.

how do you complain about people 'waaahh'ing about extremely loud construction noise and gridlock when you wrote this 'cry me a river' piece:

Quote:
The parking garage continuously has..

1. Garbage cans filled to the brim
2. Floors that look like Pompeii after Mt. Vesuvius erupted.
3. Buttons on the elevator that do not work.

I have refrained from complaining about this but enough is enough.

I want this on record with the building and I will alert the garage management also.

I am going to put up flyers informing people to find this blog and sign a petition of complaint. I also think all reserved spot patrons should reject there reserved spots, (myself included)
The 50$ they will loose from the majority certainly offsets the $15 they will get from the increase.

Provide your:
Name, Apt #, and reserved space # if you have.

1. Rasjhika, 2201, 94-22?

WAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Posted on: 2009/9/21 14:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/10/29 20:17
From Jersey City/Hoboken, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
In an effort not to get my head bitten off, I think Newark has made some strides, but I think we can all agree that more can to be done.

Not that I don't love the 99cent stores, but Newark is essentially one of the few concentrated retail hubs in the area.

I am all in for the half on half off sidewalk parking though ;)

Posted on: 2009/9/19 21:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/23 2:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
by JcNDlovingIT on 2009/9/17 17:09:45
Reading this blog leads me to the conclusion that humanity is filled with stupid ignorant people.

Also a thanks to Jogi who posted his response and answered all the questions all you babies posted about the project.

Er no - Actually, my real question is: Why do idiots feel the need to attack and make unfounded comments? You're the who's "annoying" (not my child). And don't belittle other people's concerns - NOT cool.

Anyway... Next - ianmac47:

Quote:

Don't count your chickens until they repaint the crosswalks on the street.

Yeah, it would be good when they add the lines to the crosswalks. I spoke with a worker this morning and he said they will do that in the next few days. I'm just glad the gridlock and chaos is gone.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 19:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/27 23:48
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JcNDlovingIT wrote:

3 AM jack hammering is a legit complaint, I'm sorry.

Posted on: 2009/9/17 21:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/16 23:22
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/9/17 21:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
I am just wondering how long it will take till they have to jack hammer up the new pavement to do utility work with the sewers or electrical lines or something else. They will then do a crappy patch and it will be back to potholes in no time and look like hell.

Enjoy the fresh asphalt while you can.

Also there are several areas where they are taking out the new cement and erecting boxes around Bay St. and also at Erie and Newark and where BrickHaus fitness is.

Are they planning stop signs perhaps?

Can we get the trees now? Summer is over and temperatures are getting cooler.

Does anybody know when this project is expected to be done?

Oh, and now that the paving is done on Jersey Ave, can we get the trashcans back.

Thanks

FG

Posted on: 2009/9/16 22:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/10 23:12
From Henderson Yards
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

nyctechie69 wrote:
Yay!! They finished Newark (between Jersey and Grove last night). I am much happier.

so the chicken can cross the road?
baaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahah
rotflmao lolol

Posted on: 2009/9/16 20:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyctechie69 wrote:
Yay!! They finished Newark (between Jersey and Grove last night). I am much happier.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 19:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Yes, god forbid you are inconvenienced so the rest of us can have a smooth road...

Posted on: 2009/9/16 19:11

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/9/16 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/2 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
There is no oversight apparently in the repaving job. This work is being done by the Healy administration which is corrupt so it should'nt surprise anyone.

Posted on: 2009/9/15 15:23

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Oy - Now - the tar has been removed on Newark Ave and neighboring streets with cones and detours everywhere. This is causing gridlock at Newark and Jersey Aves (which I have the "pleasure" of trying to pass every morning on the way to my daughter's daycare). Not to mention the crowded back streets and dust everywhere from the drilling and cars. Also, why are they breaking up parts of the sidewalk that they just repaved a few months ago??

I know this is supposed to improve the downtown area for pedestrians and drivers, but right now - it is a big mess!

Posted on: 2009/9/15 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/12 21:59
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
My guess is that the jackhammering is part of repaving Newark Ave. The city has taken to paving streets overnight as it is less disruptive to traffic.

Yes it's noisy and annoying, but they do the exact same thing in Manhattan.

We often say we want JC to act more like the city;well be careful what you ask for.

As for construction time rules - those who make the rules often break them. Is that fair or even legal; probably not, but whatcha going to do?

Posted on: 2009/9/15 14:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/17 14:03
Group:
Registered Users
pork barrel funds at its worst...digging for no good reason..

Posted on: 2009/9/15 3:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe a 3am jackhammering situation would be due to some kind of emergency repair. I can't see this city paying overtime for any other reason.

Posted on: 2009/9/15 3:00

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017