Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
148 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 148

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Bike shop on Grove!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Went in for some parts a couple of weeks ago.

These guys are A+ all the way.

Posted on: 2009/6/14 16:06

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/1 12:54
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
GREAT place. Had a very good experience with getting my bike tuned up. Runs like new and the price was very fair.

Posted on: 2009/6/14 13:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/14 17:57
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Grove Street Bikes tuned up my ride and it's running smooth and solid. Did Package #3 and bought an accessory. I'm satisfied with their turn-around time and the work. The price is what it is -- I understand why they package repairs as opposed to a la carte.

There are places for a "cheap" bike in this world, but unless you're getting a good deal second-hand, cheap usually refers to quality as well as price. If you ride regularly and want to keep your bicycle, if you want it to hold its adjustments and continue you to perform for you, you want something decent.

You might be able to find that at Target, but saying that Grove Street Bikes just LOOKS like "an expensive bike shop" is an emotional response.

Get a little knowledge about bikes. Shop at Target, GSB and ask around. You might or might not get better value somewhere else, but $200 is not a lot to spend on a good bicycle. Make sure it is one.

Posted on: 2009/6/14 13:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Count me in as another satisfied customer...

Stopped in yesterday (06/13/09) and bought some smaller items for my bike as well as my wife's bike. Good selection, very good prices and the staff was also nice. When I asked for an item they didn't have in stock, the guy that was helping me (Rodney) grabbed several catalogs, did the lookups and offered to have the item special ordered and delivered within days.

If you can, support this local business. We need more of these places in JC: good prices and a good attitude.

Posted on: 2009/6/14 11:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/30 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
I bought a bike at Grove Street Bicycles about 2 weeks ago and I highly recommend purchasing a bike from them. I spent about $500 and got a mountain bike (Specialized Hardrock Sport) that I absolutely love. The people who work there aren't bike snobs and don't pressure you to buy things. If you buy a bike there they offer free basic tune ups for the life of the bike. I had planned to go to a shop in Brooklyn but am really happy that I could make this purchase at a local JC business.

Posted on: 2009/6/10 13:27

Getting back to bicycles -- Finding the perfect bike to meet your needs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Getting back to bicycles
Finding the perfect bike to meet your needs

by Sean Allocca
Current editor/Hudson Reporter

Burn calories, save money on gas, and help keep the planet clean by getting out of your car and onto a bicycle. There are even non-profit groups to help you do it.

Non-profit Hobiken sells donated bicycles for low rates to benefit Symposia bookstore in Hoboken, and the new bike shop Grove Street Bicycles in Jersey City has the latest trends in bikes for the upcoming season. Flo on Wheels in Hoboken is also a popular shop.

?With all the congestion in the city environment,? said co-owner of Grove Street Bicycles Rodney Morweiser last week, ?bicycling promotes an alternative form of transportation and a healthier lifestyle.?

Last month, bike lanes were painted onto two Hoboken streets to help slow down cars and give bicyclists a share of the road. Coordinator of Hobiken David Arthur was on hand with Hoboken council members Dawn Zimmer and Terry LaBruno for the opening ride of the new lanes.

?It was a lot of fun,? Arthur said. ?Overall it?s a step in the right direction. It?ll help slow traffic down and make people aware that bikes are coming back to town.?

Your perfect fit

For the commuter, a hybrid-style bicycle that combines the comfort of mountain bikes with the style and speed of racing bikes is a huge hit among city dwellers today. The simpler-style bikes have fewer moving parts and less-intricate craftsmanship, causing fewer repair issues for the busy businessman.

?You?re not going to get a boot on your bike.? ? Rodney Morweiser
________

One such bike, made by Dahon, starts at $460 and can be folded and carried like a bag on buses or trains.

?You can fold it up and carry it on peak hours on the train,? Morweiser said, ?which is something that you can?t do with other bikes. You can put it under your desk and forget about it at work.?

Not only will riding to work burn calories on your commute, ?You?re not going to get a boot on your bike,? Morweiser said.

For the environmentally-friendly rider, a new series of bikes called the Globe Series made by Specialized offers an even greener take on bikes.

?A lot of the money the company makes goes back into recycling the products they use to manufacture the bikes,? Morweiser said. In addition to recycling, the company also offers belt-driven bikes, instead of chain-driven bikes that need pollutants like lubricants and detergents to operate.

Whichever bike you choose, Morweiser recommends using a lock at all times.

?Even with lock technology getting better with stronger and thicker locks, thieves are getting smarter,? Morweiser said. Especially with internet outlets like eBay, it?s becoming easier and easier for thieves to sell their stolen merchandise without getting caught.

?A bike is one of the most efficient machines in the world,? Morweiser said. ?We?re pushing for people to get back on bikes instead of cars to pick up a newspaper down the street. If it?s under two miles you should be able to pedal.?

For more information on Grove Street Bicycles, 365 Grove St. in Jersey City, call (201) 451-2453.

Bikes for a cause

If you?re not ready to invest in a high-quality, tuned machine, Hobiken, a non-profit organization helping Hudson County residents get back to biking, fixes up donated bikes to sell at low costs.

Since the beginning of spring, Hobiken has sold a dozen bikes and is hoping to receive more donated bikes in the near future.

?The new focus has been providing environmentally friendly ways for people to get around town,? said coordinator David Arthur.

Donated bicycles are normally sold for $20. Operating out of Symposia Bookstore in Hoboken, all proceeds of the bikes benefit the bookstore.

?We?re always looking for donations,? Arthur said, ?whether it be bikes, money or time ? anything that will help people get back on bikes in Hoboken.? All donations are tax deductible.

For more information on Hobiken visit www.hobiken.com or go down to Symposia Bookstore, 510 Washington St. in Hoboken.

Sean Allocca can be reached at current@hudsonreporter.com

Posted on: 2009/5/14 11:32

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/30 19:11
Group:
Registered Users
Not only did they repair my bike on the spot when I walked in from a ride, what they charged was fair value for the work. Friendly, helpful folks! I wish them the best!

Posted on: 2009/5/12 22:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/8 1:12
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
I've been working there Saturdays as a 2nd job and all three owners are great guys. They really stand behind their bikes too, with life-time free adjustments.

Its just feels great to finally have a full-featured bike shop in the downtown historic district.

Now we just need some bike lanes . . .

miles

Posted on: 2009/5/12 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/5 14:56
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
Just visited them today. Very impressive set-up with on site service/repairs and apparently an experienced and knowledgeable staff.

However: NO RENTALS...yet.
Apparently this is a Jersey City regulatory or legal issue.

Hopefully they can circumvent Jersey City's restriction on bicycle rentals.

Bike's are like real estate here in downtown JC: most of us would rather rent, than buy...

Posted on: 2009/5/3 21:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/18 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
I had a similar very good experience with these guys. I took my bike out on Sunday for the first time since last summer only to realize all the air in the tires were gone. I walked the bike over to the bike shop hoping I could buy a tire pump there. Instead they pumped up my tires free of charge! I hope they do well as they seemed pretty busy in there.

I'm thinking about selling my recently purchased Schwinn hybrid for a decent road bike and if I do I'll definitely go to them for it.

Posted on: 2009/4/28 14:52

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/8 18:57
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Nothing but positive feedback and best of luck to these guys...Stopped there last night because I needed a minor adjustment on my bike and they didn't even charge me.

Glad they are around.

Only wish they had MORE inventory!

Posted on: 2009/4/28 13:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
I'm so happy that this bike shop is finally open!

Checked out the shop yesterday and was very impressed with the knowledge & helpfulness of the folks working there. Even though the store didn't have any bikes in my price range and purpose (I'm just a light recreational biker), one of the guys took time out to show me the various bikes, explain the differences between them, and give me some recs.

Now I'm gonna have to convince Mr. Insomniac to let me increase my bike budget so I can buy one from Grove St. Bicyles!

Posted on: 2009/4/21 6:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Impressive I stopped by there today they did an enormous amount of work. The layout was well thought out. This Friday at 4pm Mayor Healy and a TV crew will be there to christen the new business. They seem to carry 3 brands of bicycles; Masi, Specialized, and the folding bike Dahon. They have an array of accessories and some really cool tee shirts such as the one with their logo. They have a nice collection of bike shoes even for those that ride platform pedals, yes you still need a bike shoe for the regular pedals it prevents injury to the sole of your foot.

Posted on: 2009/4/19 0:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/7 18:41
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed...strong hours...and open both weekend days, too. That's plus. It's about time we got an LBS.

Posted on: 2009/4/14 19:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
open til 8. thats pretty awesome for a bike shop. now i can go after work. look forward to frequenting this place. best of luck to these guys

Posted on: 2009/4/14 17:48

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/30 3:04
Group:
Registered Users
I emailed them this weekend. Here's the response I got.

Hi,
We are going to do our soft opening on Monday. The official Grand opening will be the 24th of April @ 4:30. We will be doing repairs and tune-ups.
Stop in soon...our hours:
Mon 9-8
Tue 9-6
Wed 9-6
Thu 9-8
Fri 9-8
Sat 9-5
Sun 11-5

--
Michael Wilson
Rodney Morweiser
Grove Street Bicycles, LLC
365 Grove Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Phone:(201) 451-BIKE (2453)
Fax: 732-968-3303 (temporary)
grovestreetbicycles@gmail.com
grovestreetbicycles.com

Posted on: 2009/4/13 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
I just dropped my bike off for a new seat and brake adjustment and gotta tell ya the place is really nice inside. I have no idea what the space looked like before they renovated but it's a great addition to the neighborhood.
definitely worth a look and good to give the local shop business instead of heading into Hoboken or NYC as I've done in the past year.

Posted on: 2009/4/13 18:12
utterly deplorable

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/15 11:24
Group:
Registered Users
The website is up, only contact information and location is uploaded at this moment .

http://grovestreetbicycles.com/

Posted on: 2009/2/22 20:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/12 20:27
From 365 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Grove Street Bicycles will open sometime in March. We had to fix many unforeseen problems inside the building. We are on the finish end of construction and should have an opening date set soon. Please join our facebook,myspace page or keep looking on this site for a grand opening date. Thanks!

Posted on: 2009/2/12 16:22

Grove Street Bicycles
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Walking up Grove today, I see a BICYCLE STORE is coming!! Anyone have any more info? (Two blocks north of Newark Avenue)

Grove Street Bicycles
365 Grove Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302

http://jcguide.com/item/grove-street-bicycles

Posted on: 2009/2/11 22:34

Edited by Webmaster on 2010/7/30 3:19:39
Edited by Webmaster on 2010/11/26 18:16:33

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password: