Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
63 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 63

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: New owner/landlord isn't cashing rent checks
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bustjc wrote:
Just as others have mentioned, this board is full of of anti-rent control property owner's in downtown that resent the laws that have made turning a profit more difficult.

Don't let people on here scare you, you have received the proper advice. Huddle up with your neighbors and hire one lawyer to handle the tenant case for you. Prepare for a lot of discomfort. These new owners will do the following:
Try to get you removed for non-payment. Put the money in a separate account, if you receive a court notice cancel those previous rent checks and be ready the day of court to pay the entire amount of unpaid rent and bring keep copies of everything! Any communication, any documentation, cancelled checks, they want you to make any mistake. A single mistake can lead to eviction.

They will try to make your living situation hell. Non-repairs, some will actually try to make your living situation dangerous. With winter approaching be prepared for them to shut off heat to the building, maybe even conveniently you will lose power or hot water. You and all other tenants need to aggressively report these situation to the housing department. Contact your ward councilperson and get them let them what is happening. http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/citycouncil.aspx

Report the issues to everyone with ears and even reach out to local news media with documentation.

Despite popular belief on here, you are just leveraging existing law to enjoy a sustainable lifestyle. I hope everything works out for you. Good luck.

I was thinking of the heating issue also - since colder weather is approaching. Print this out and provide it to your neighbors - and CALL/KEEP RECORDS OF COMPLAINTS - don't let this go.

Also, this is a really good primer for your rights as a renter.

In my experience, the local court system is really responsive to, and sensitive of, tenants that are getting screwed by landlords. The key is really good record keeping and non-emotional presentations to the court. Keep it to the facts, have your records and evidence, and be organized - you will prevail.

Posted on: 2017/10/16 19:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/23 0:39
Group:
Registered Users
Just as others have mentioned, this board is full of of anti-rent control property owner's in downtown that resent the laws that have made turning a profit more difficult.

Don't let people on here scare you, you have received the proper advice. Huddle up with your neighbors and hire one lawyer to handle the tenant case for you. Prepare for a lot of discomfort. These new owners will do the following:
Try to get you removed for non-payment. Put the money in a separate account, if you receive a court notice cancel those previous rent checks and be ready the day of court to pay the entire amount of unpaid rent and bring keep copies of everything! Any communication, any documentation, cancelled checks, they want you to make any mistake. A single mistake can lead to eviction.

They will try to make your living situation hell. Non-repairs, some will actually try to make your living situation dangerous. With winter approaching be prepared for them to shut off heat to the building, maybe even conveniently you will lose power or hot water. You and all other tenants need to aggressively report these situation to the housing department. Contact your ward councilperson and get them let them what is happening. http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/citycouncil.aspx

Report the issues to everyone with ears and even reach out to local news media with documentation.

Despite popular belief on here, you are just leveraging existing law to enjoy a sustainable lifestyle. I hope everything works out for you. Good luck.

Posted on: 2017/10/16 19:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/12 19:50
Group:
Registered Users
A landlord is in the business of making money... so from the sounds of this, either you are on your way out, or you will have to put up a big fight, which will cost you arm and a leg. Sorry.

Posted on: 2017/10/16 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Just as it is tenant's obligation to send in the rent check, it should be landlord's obligation to cash it or acknowledge receiving it.

There should be severe penalties for such tactics.

Posted on: 2017/10/14 19:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/15 20:50
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you for your understanding and support.

Posted on: 2017/10/14 17:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you for understanding. I'm paying my rent. I'm not looking for a handout or a free ride. I just want to stay in a place that I can actually afford to pay for. Like you said they knew this was a rent controlled building and they took the gamble that they could harass us and push us out.

Posted on: 2017/10/14 17:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:

People in Manhattan in rent controlled properties get offers in the millions to move out. It is very much a thing when you are sitting on valuable property.

Miilion's Poops ?

or Millions of Poops ?

Billions.

Posted on: 2017/10/12 4:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:

People in Manhattan in rent controlled properties get offers in the millions to move out. It is very much a thing when you are sitting on valuable property.

Miilion's Poops ?

or Millions of Poops ?

Posted on: 2017/10/12 0:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
MonmouthMan is is totally right on this. Jersey City rents are out of control- if they love their apartment and plan on living here for multiple years they shouldn't leave unless there is a serious payout considering how much rent has and continues to go up. Everyone telling them they are greedy to do otherwise sounds like a typical conservative JC slumlord (which seem to be the only people still using this site).This is all standard for rent controlled properties- anyone can get them- from my experience it's just a matter of settling for an apartment without a ton of improvement repairs and being willing to fix a lot of stuff yourself. People in Manhattan in rent controlled properties get offers in the millions to move out. It is very much a thing when you are sitting on valuable property.

Posted on: 2017/10/12 0:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
When my landlord in Hamilton Park wanted to go condo about 12 years ago, I was unemployed so I figured I would have a harder time finding a new place, and I also didn't want to leave the neighborhood.

Long story short, after brief negotiations I got 36 months' worth of my current rent, paid to me before I left. I signed a brief contract agreeing to leave within 90 days, if I recall correctly.

The landlord worked it out with another landlord on the same block to rent to me. A very similar place, more expensive but nicely renovated. I actually got to poke around and get them to renovate the way I liked, preserving some of the older funky features of the place. Still there today.

Posted on: 2017/10/11 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/17 15:41
Group:
Registered Users
The purchaser was well aware that the building was rent controlled when he/she bought it. Now they want to break the law by trying to illegally evict people. I think the OP made it clear that his intention was to stay, as he has the legal right to do.

No free ride, just caveat emptor.

Quote:

richieveal wrote:
You just want a free ride, well a ride that cost someone to actually keep you in your home. Rent controlled buildings are pulling down the cities. Owners can't invest in a place if they are constantly costing them money to keep it afloat.

Posted on: 2017/10/11 20:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/14 12:53
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
You just want a free ride, well a ride that cost someone to actually keep you in your home. Rent controlled buildings are pulling down the cities. Owners can't invest in a place if they are constantly costing them money to keep it afloat.

Posted on: 2017/10/11 20:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/16 13:54
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Everyone,
My neighbors, the building next to us, were in a similar situation, what worked is that they ALL got together and hired ONE attorney on their behalf.
There is strength in numbers, they had an elderly lady tenant (who was quite effective) represent everyone.
They started documentation/petitions early with everyone's signature, they went to "Tenants & Neighbors" (this was in NYC) and got free representation along the way, they notified their banks to set up separate accounts, etc.
This new landlord is counting on you guys not being smart enough to budget and go to all the trouble of doing this.
But the moral of the story is all the tenants worked as one, when the judge saw that, he ruled in their favor immediately.
Good luck, $750 is cheap, I'd fight to keep that too.

Posted on: 2017/10/11 14:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/25 19:36
Group:
Registered Users
wow. Does it really cost $1500 for a studio in Journal Square?

I would recommend you discuss this with an attorney. Chances are they have seen these things happen and know the best way to handle this.

Posted on: 2017/10/11 13:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

MonmouthMan wrote:
do you think I'm stupid? You want him to pay me after I leave the property?
chill out dude, this is a common thing. You would have the landlord put the money into escrow and sign an agreement to essentially buy you out of the apartment. If they're going to boot you out or make your life hell, might be a better option to take payment to leave. Lol at $22,000 not being shit and demanding $100,000 to leave. If $22,000 is small change for you then why are you living in such a cheap apartment? Damn dude. You're being extremely hostile to people that are offering advice.

There's not much you can do really except establish a paper trail of mail with receipts showing the checks have been delivered, along with a record of your phone calls and emails. If the landlord continues not to pay I would definitely recommend an escrow account or other account so you don't accidentally spend it.

If they try to evict you for non-payment of rent, the judge will
A: ask you if you have the rent at the time of the court meeting, at which point you'll be allowed to pay it (generally you only have until 4:30PM of the court day) and they will deny the eviction proceeding.
B: tell the landlord to fuck off for trying to pull this.

So long as you keep the money handy and available, you can not be evicted. You'll be fine.

Above is correct, go to court and write a check for what is owed and state your case, in fact initiate the case - just make sure you cancel pending un-cashed checks once court date is established and you can cover whatever the outstanding rent is - ball technically is in your proverbial court then.

Curious are the new checks made out to an LLC or Company?
if so they (LLC) will need a lawyer to represent themselves in court and it will cost them.

Posted on: 2017/10/11 4:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MonmouthMan wrote:
chill out dude, this is a common thing. You would have the landlord put the money into escrow and sign an agreement to essentially buy you out of the apartment. If they're going to boot you out or make your life hell, might be a better option to take payment to leave. Lol at $22,000 not being shit and demanding $100,000 to leave. If $22,000 is small change for you then why are you living in such a cheap apartment? Damn dude. You're being extremely hostile to people that are offering advice.

There's not much you can do really except establish a paper trail of mail with receipts showing the checks have been delivered, along with a record of your phone calls and emails. If the landlord continues not to pay I would definitely recommend an escrow account or other account so you don't accidentally spend it.

If they try to evict you for non-payment of rent, the judge will
A: ask you if you have the rent at the time of the court meeting, at which point you'll be allowed to pay it (generally you only have until 4:30PM of the court day) and they will deny the eviction proceeding.
B: tell the landlord to fuck off for trying to pull this.

So long as you keep the money handy and available, you can not be evicted. You'll be fine.

Posted on: 2017/10/11 3:57

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/10 2:07
From Newport
Group:
Registered Users
You should really talk to some lawyers who help renters or look on boards dedicated to that purpose. Will get you better responses than JCList for such a critical topic.

Posted on: 2017/10/11 3:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
So are you the person that bought my building? I don't want to move I don't care how much money they offer me that was why I said $100,000 to show them that I ain't freaking moving. Where did I say it took so little effort to find this apartment? You're a real jerk. you must sit around on your computer all day seeing as how you've made over 1000 comments and posts on here. I said I looked in the area and my rent would almost double for the same amenities, size and kind of apartment that I have in a building with similar kinds of people. You're not offering any help here buddy. go away now bye-bye. I know what escrow is if I didn't I know how to ask Google.I don't want money in a bank account I want cash money and $100,000 of it. unreasonable? I don't care I'm not moving.
And when I said $25,500 ain't shit to me what I meant was doubling my rent is going to end up costing me a lot more over a few years then $22,500 is going to give me. An extra hundred dollars a month is $1200 a year. That extra expense would mean that I wouldn't get to go home to see my family twice a year like I do now. That's not a sacrifice I'm going to make, sugar.I asked for assistance on what I could do to get my landlord to cash my rent check and not try to hold onto it like I've heard landlords try to do for three months so that they can try to evict you and say that you haven't paid your rent. Nobody seems to be offering this help thanks anyway y'all.

Posted on: 2017/10/11 3:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/16 2:55
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MonmouthMan wrote:

Calm down, the person specifically mentioned having it transferred to escrow. Escrow is where the money is transferred to a neutral 3rd party who then distributes the money once the agreed upon conditions are met. It's not like the land lord can stomp in and take the money back and be like "nahhh, jk jk". That's the beauty of an escrow service, the neutral 3rd party is key.

Quote:

MonmouthMan wrote:
Not five minutes after meeting the new owner he said that he would maybe consider offering people a couple of months rent to move out. I told him I would move for $100,000 and six months to move. And I walked away. My rent is only 750 a month by the way for my own little studio with a washer dryer in the basement. 30 months rent is only roughly $22,500 that ain't shit

$22,500 and 90 days actually sounds quite reasonable to me, especially for a place that's only $750 a month. If it took you so little effort to find it, chances are you can find something in that range again, and if $22,500 isn't "shit" to you, then clearly you have the cash to spend an extra $100 a month to find something close.

$100k and 6 months isn't an opening argument as much as it is a statement that you are unwilling to negotiate something reasonable, and of course any counter offer on their part would seem crazy to you if that was your opening bid.

Posted on: 2017/10/11 2:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I misspoke, Buildings that are not new that have five or more apartments are considered rent controlled. Here's another article that you can read for more information from nj.com
https://www.google.com/amp/www.nj.com/ ... n_jersey_city_opinion.amp

Posted on: 2017/10/11 1:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
It's just a regular apartment that I found on craigslist 2 1/2 years ago. Rent controlled is not the same as section 8 housing. I live in a small building with only nine apartments. anything over I think it's six or seven in Jersey City and is not a brand new building is considered rent controlled. Basically it means that the city puts out a table that says how much the landlord is allowed to raise ones rent depending upon which month domeone moved in. So for example last year my rent went up .7% this year It can only go up about 2%. I lived downtown for over 10 years, and I always lived in small buildings. I learned my lesson when my last landlord downtown kept raising my rent about 20% every year and then finally raised it more than I could afford to pay. So I specifically looked for buildings that had seven or eight apartment so that it would fufill the rent controlled requirement. This link from the city will give you more information about what rent control means and it also includes the table of how much rent control buildings can have the rent raised per year http://www.jerseycitynj.gov/hedc.aspx?id=1182

Posted on: 2017/10/11 1:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Just curious, how did you get this rent controlled unit? Was it because of your income level and did you have to specially apply for it or something? Not saying you don't deserve to live there, just wondering how it came to be.

Posted on: 2017/10/11 1:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
do you think I'm stupid? You want him to pay me after I leave the property? I also asked for advice on what I can do about getting my landlord to respond and about making sure that he didn't try to pull some bullshit and not cash my rent checks and take me to court saying that I never paid my rent. Why should I leave? I'm a six minute bike ride from work a 20 minute walk to Journal Square path station. I love my neighbors and my neighborhood. Out of curiosity I looked into what something equivalent would cost in the same neighborhood and it would double my rent even though I've only been here for 2 1/2 years.

You talk like you're a Landlord or someone who buys Apts like what happened to mine and tries to push people out. This is my home, this is where I feel safe where I feel comfortable.

Not five minutes after meeting the new owner he said that he would maybe consider offering people a couple of months rent to move out. I told him I would move for $100,000 and six months to move. And I walked away. My rent is only 750 a month by the way for my own little studio with a washer dryer in the basement. 30 months rent is only roughly $22,500 that ain't shit

Posted on: 2017/10/11 0:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Ever thought about approaching the owner about paying you to leave?

Open the negotiations say at a payment worth 30 months of rent, placed in escrow, payable once you leave the property within 90 days of the money being deposited into escrow.

Posted on: 2017/10/11 0:30

New owner/landlord isn't cashing rent checks
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Hello. So my building was recently purchased and we have had some issues with the landlord. This month we started sending our rent checks to a new address in Brooklyn. I mailed my rent check two weeks early on purpose because the intention of the landlords is they put is to "gut renovate the building" and they said they were going to do what it took to get us out of here. It's a rent controlled building and those of us that live here do not want to move. Anyway, enough of the backstory it's now the 10th of the month and we never got a rent receipt from last months rent and they still have not cashed our checks. I called landlord and tenant relations today and a very nice woman that I spoke to said she had received calls from other people in my building about this issue and others. She then proceeded to tell me that I need to make sure that I always have the amount of rent in my bank account and suggested opening a separate account just to keep my rent in to make sure I do not accidentally spend it. She said that landlords have this thing where they don't cash rent checks for three months then they try to get you evicted saying that you never sent your rent checks in. I am just flabbergasted that some jerks will try to do this. How can they do that to an entire building? How can A landlord try and say that nobody in the building paid rent? The woman at landlord tenant relations told me that I need to relay this information to everyone in my building. I've spoken to at least three of the other tenants, and one of them suggested that we start sending our rent checks with The regular mail but sending it with tracking. My neighbor told me that it's cheaper than sending it certified mail and unlike certified mail no signature has to be given in order for the parcel to be delivered.
Is there any other advice that folks can offer? I know my rent check has only not been cashed for 10 days and not two months, but these new owners are really slimy and when I called the city to tell them who they were they laughed and said yeah these people do that all the time. And yes myself and the other two tenants that I know for sure Who haven't had their checks cashed either have called and texted the landlord and he is not responding at all.

Posted on: 2017/10/11 0:20

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017