Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
49 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 49

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Driving down Jersey in Hamilton Park
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Hey wait, but what if I'm coming from work and going to the city. Surely we get local cut-through privileges, right?
What's the point of living here otherwise? hah

For real though, there's got to be a better way to get traffic into the city. Unfortunately I think it would take better planning on NYC's side. As soon as you come out you're in a traffic light quagmire.

Posted on: 2015/7/15 21:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

South_Sixth wrote:
Quote:

borisp wrote:

2. It's very easy to deal with the possible through traffic congestion - the city can declare some residential areas a "no-through-traffic" zone.

I know this would never happen, just wishful thinking.

To reduce the amount of Holland Tunnel traffic from using local streets to by-pass Route 1/9 & Turnpike congestion, put an EZPass reader on the Turnpike east of the C Columbus Dr exit and another on the lower level of Route 139 just east of the Tonnelle Circle.

Have the Port Authority only give a discount to the vehicles (with EZPass) that passed those readers, everyone else pays the full toll amount for the tunnel.

Exemptions could be given to EZPasses registered to Jersey City addresses. The discount could be 24 hours a day or just during peak hours. The Pulaski Skyway rehabilitation project would need to be finished before this could be implemented.

YES! or, even better: put a reader on the Columbus Ave and LSP ramps. any car that drives through those and THEN goes through the tunnel (within say 30 minutes) gets a through-traffic fine, which goes into Jersey City's coffers.

Posted on: 2015/7/15 15:52

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/6 17:13
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:

2. It's very easy to deal with the possible through traffic congestion - the city can declare some residential areas a "no-through-traffic" zone.

I know this would never happen, just wishful thinking.

To reduce the amount of Holland Tunnel traffic from using local streets to by-pass Route 1/9 & Turnpike congestion, put an EZPass reader on the Turnpike east of the C Columbus Dr exit and another on the lower level of Route 139 just east of the Tonnelle Circle.

Have the Port Authority only give a discount to the vehicles (with EZPass) that passed those readers, everyone else pays the full toll amount for the tunnel.

Exemptions could be given to EZPasses registered to Jersey City addresses. The discount could be 24 hours a day or just during peak hours. The Pulaski Skyway rehabilitation project would need to be finished before this could be implemented.

Posted on: 2015/7/15 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

borisp wrote:
1. However wrongly people park their cars, it can never be a reason for not stopping at a stop sign.

You mean the way it has declared that you must stop at STOP signs, yield to pedestrians and go no faster than 25 mph? If they can't get compliance on these, how do you think they can possibly enforce such a vague decree? Passports to enter certain streets? I thought you weren't in favor of a police state.

I thought that the answer was quite obvious - once we have a law that prohibits through traffic, the city can request Waze to comply with that law.

Posted on: 2015/7/15 4:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
Those crosswalk signs are a joke. Drivers rarely stopped

Not true at all, all the time I'm stuck behind some idiot that thinks they're regular stop signs and stops every block.

Posted on: 2015/7/15 0:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Those crosswalk signs are a joke. Drivers rarely stopped, and most of the signs were destroyed by drivers hitting them.

Posted on: 2015/7/14 21:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
Nobody stops for the crosswalk (unless MAYBE if you're pushing a baby stroller) and the signs are getting destroyed by every large truck that needs to go wide to make a turn onto a narrow cross street.

Not to mention that the placement of those signs right in the middle of the bike lanes on streets like Monmouth & Coles force bikes into cars, or cars into the bike lane if they're on the other side.

Posted on: 2015/7/14 21:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MattSchapiro wrote:
Things got noticeably safer on Jersey Ave and its surrounds after the traffic-calming measures instituted by Councilwoman Osborne. There is and always will be room for improvement, but credit where it's due -- the increase in stop signs and 'stop for pedestrian' signs have made a huge difference.

Couldn't disagree more but if you think so then you're about the only person who does. Nobody stops for the crosswalk (unless MAYBE if you're pushing a baby stroller) and the signs are getting destroyed by every large truck that needs to go wide to make a turn onto a narrow cross street. The speed bumps were originally so tall that only a SUV could clear them and the new stop signs didn't even get the lines painted across the intersections until a couple of months after the signs went up. Ms Osborne had good intentions but it was a terrible execution...

Posted on: 2015/7/14 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/16 6:03
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MattSchapiro wrote:
Things got noticeably safer on Jersey Ave and its surrounds after the traffic-calming measures instituted by Councilwoman Osborne. There is and always will be room for improvement, but credit where it's due -- the increase in stop signs and 'stop for pedestrian' signs have made a huge difference.

I personally don't feel any difference with those measures as I drive along Jersey Avenue. People blow through the stop on 7th as they always have.

Since you raise Candice, we will certainly find out her real views about discouraging through traffic in Jersey City soon. That is as soon as she says / does something about the Turnpike Authority's Mill Creek bridge proposal. That proposal that will dump traffic from the Turnpike into downtown, via LSP and Jersey Avenue. So far she's been totally silent about it ? very concerning to me.

One thing she could do is find the report from the study the City received a $500,000 grant to conduct back in 2013 from NJTPA. I've never seen that particular report, so I am very curious what it says.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... y_gets_500000_federa.html

What happens with that bridge is one issue I will definitely think about come next election.

Posted on: 2015/7/14 19:42

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/26 14:56
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
crossing Jersey is just as difficult as making a left. cars parked to the curb completely obstruct oncoming cars from your left, and you're forced to inch out into traffic like a bozo

Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
Just drive carefully. Please no more traffic lights.

Erie sucks so bad now that there's fucking speed bumps and multiple stop signs.

If you're driving and have the right of way, assume everyone is out to get you. You can generally pick up on the vibe of whoever is at the cross street and sense whether or not they're going to cut you off. Also, if you hesitate, they're going to. Driving Psychology 101 right there. Never show weakness! Ha

You can also take a lessen from the delivery companies like UPS and FedEx and try to minimize the number of left turns you make. Much easier to make 3 rights than a left most times. Trying to make a left onto Jersey is such a waste of time and a t-bone risk if there's a truck parked on the corner, as somebody mentioned before. I never do it.

Posted on: 2015/7/14 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MattSchapiro wrote:

It's hilarious that you even dare post in this thread with your parking habits.

Posted on: 2015/7/14 18:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/25 7:29
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/7/14 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
Just came home from a client this evening and a cop in a marked car didn't even yield to me in a marked crosswalk. And not only that, no seatbelt and busy texting on his phone while driving. WTF?...

How fun would it be to do a video stakeout on Erie and film the cops not stopping?

Posted on: 2015/7/14 3:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

borisp wrote:
1. However wrongly people park their cars, it can never be a reason for not stopping at a stop sign.

You mean the way it has declared that you must stop at STOP signs, yield to pedestrians and go no faster than 25 mph? If they can't get compliance on these, how do you think they can possibly enforce such a vague decree? Passports to enter certain streets? I thought you weren't in favor of a police state.

Exactly. And at least half of the traffic Downtown (it seems) is "Through Traffic". With the Pulaski Skyway closed the Turnpike exit traffic is nuts and Jersey Ave. is a parking lot most of the day. I see it backed up from Grand St. to Newark starting about 8:00 a.m. every weekday. It's faster to walk than take one of my old mopeds...

Just came home from a client this evening and a cop in a marked car didn't even yield to me in a marked crosswalk. And not only that, no seatbelt and busy texting on his phone while driving. WTF?...

Posted on: 2015/7/13 23:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

borisp wrote:

Posted on: 2015/7/13 22:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/7/13 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Just drive carefully. Please no more traffic lights.

Erie sucks so bad now that there's fucking speed bumps and multiple stop signs.

If you're driving and have the right of way, assume everyone is out to get you. You can generally pick up on the vibe of whoever is at the cross street and sense whether or not they're going to cut you off. Also, if you hesitate, they're going to. Driving Psychology 101 right there. Never show weakness! Ha

You can also take a lessen from the delivery companies like UPS and FedEx and try to minimize the number of left turns you make. Much easier to make 3 rights than a left most times. Trying to make a left onto Jersey is such a waste of time and a t-bone risk if there's a truck parked on the corner, as somebody mentioned before. I never do it.

Posted on: 2015/7/13 20:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/30 5:40
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Is there anything that can be done about it?? At least bother the parking authority to start enforcing red zones?

Posted on: 2015/7/13 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Many others (iirc, Brewster, ianmac, tommyc_37 are among them) have clamored for traffic calming measures such as those curb extensions.

Not I. I'm not a big believer in calming, as an engineer I don't find adding friction improves most systems. Regulation, education, and enforcement is a different story. I've got no time for the anti-camera camp. I got several tickets around town for making a right on red without a complete stop. Guess what? I don't do that anymore! But when there's no feedback short of crunching metal or bleeding flesh, there's no governing the system. Even my lovely, unaggressive, midwestern wife sometimes shocks me by how little she will slow for a stop, especially the ones very close to home for some reason.

Anyone read the New Urbanist blog & podcast "Strong Towns"? The founder is an apostate traffic engineer.

Posted on: 2015/7/13 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Maybe they should put in "curb extensions" too prevent parking near the corners and making it safer for pedestrians:

http://nacto.org/publication/urban-st ... elements/curb-extensions/

Many others (iirc, Brewster, ianmac, tommyc_37 are among them) have clamored for traffic calming measures such as those curb extensions. The city pays lip service to improving DTJC and making all of JC more pedestrian friendly, but they seem to concentrate on headline-grabbing, sexy measures, and nothing of substance. Hey, our mean streets may be dangerous deathtraps, but at least you won't die from eating chain restaurant food!!

Posted on: 2015/7/13 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe they should put in "curb extensions" too prevent parking near the corners and making it safer for pedestrians:

http://nacto.org/publication/urban-st ... elements/curb-extensions/

Posted on: 2015/7/13 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
i never understood this city's aversion to putting up actual traffic lights. it took dozens of accidents and even a death (two?) on 6th to get those up. it won't solve the red zone issue, but people actually obey lights and not signs for whatever reason.

Posted on: 2015/7/13 13:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
There should at least be a stop sign st 3rd ave. And yes it makes it particularly bad when people park in the red zone so no one can see oncoming traffic (or pedestrians).

Making a left onto jersey Ave from 3rd street during a busy traffic time is a fing nightmare

Posted on: 2015/7/13 7:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The worst is when large trucks park near the corners and completely block the view of the stop sign. It's every day around here and Parking Authority does absolutely nothing about it.

Jersey Ave. will never be a one-way street, and as for traffic speeding just wait until that stupid bridge opens down at the south end by the Morris Canal and there will be THOUSANDS of cars coming off the turnpike every day and creating a traffic jam on Jersey Ave that will reduce driving speed to slower than walking.

Posted on: 2015/7/12 21:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey Ave is a deathtrap. Commuters speed through all the time and ignore pedestrians crossing. Police and firefighters on their way to work are particularly bad crossing 7th.

Jersey ave should have traffic lights at every intersection or be converted to a one way heading south.

Posted on: 2015/7/12 21:14

Driving down Jersey in Hamilton Park

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/30 5:40
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
A few days ago I almost got in an accident driving down Jersey because a driver blew past his stop sign on 7th. Then today I saw an almost identical actual accident on Erie-a driver blew past his stop sign and hit a car driving down Erie (not fast and no one was hurt but still). It seems to me like part of the problem is that there are cars parked in the no parking 'red' areas on the curbs, and also that instead of creeping forward other drivers just blow past their stop signs without even attempting to come to a stop. Is there anything that can be done about this?? I try to avoid driving down Jersey whenever possible now because it seems so unsafe...

Posted on: 2015/7/12 20:32

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017