Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
51 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 51

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: JC mayor purchases house in the Heights (PHOTOS)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City mayor seeks zoning board OK for home addition

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
December 01, 2015 at 4:15 PM

JERSEY CITY — Even a mayor seeking variances can't spice up a zoning board meeting.

At the top of the agenda for last night's board meeting was a familiar name: Steven M. Fulop, the mayor of Jersey City. Fulop, who purchased a home on Ogden Avenue in July, was asking for permission to exceed maximum building and lot coverage requirements set by city zoning laws.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _approval_for_home_a.html

Posted on: 2015/12/2 1:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Fulop closes on house in the Jersey City Heights

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal The Jersey Journal 
July 14, 2015 at  8:08 AM

JERSEY CITY — It's official: Mayor Steve Fulop is a resident of the Heights.

Fulop, 38, closed on the Ogden Avenue home yesterday afternoon. His real-estate agent, Phil Rivo, posted a picture on Facebook of Fulop and his girlfriend, Jaclyn Thompson, on the steps of their new home yesterday afternoon.

Last month the mayor told The Jersey Journal that he "fell in love" with the three-bedroom, single-family home that has three back decks overlooking New York City.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _jersey_city_heights.html

Posted on: 2015/7/14 15:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
All these arguments where Fulop could/should move - doesn't matter much as he won't be spending much time in the Heights - he has his sights set on Drumthwacket.

Posted on: 2015/6/19 0:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
You open yourself up to all sorts of issues. What if Christie had been boinking the Bridget Kelly? Or when you date someone you do business with, like Corzine and Carla Katz.

What was that woman's name who Christie made (and subsequently forgave) the $40-ish thousand loan to? She worked for him at the U.S. attorney's office. I think he made her head of economic development if I'm remembering correctly. I'm sure he did all that for her because she makes a nice baked ziti.

Er, no. First, her husband had lost his job, and they were both friends with Christie and his wife. The loan was officially filed with the Morris County Clerks office. The loan is being paid off until 2017, with interest.

I think you're conflating Christie, with a recorded, interest bearing loan with a proper repayment schedule, with former Governor Corzine and his girlfriend. Corzine gave a loan more than 10X larger to the head of the largest union that NJ deals with, while they were bedmates. He also, as I recall, paid for her kids private school education, bought she and them a couple of cars, and bought her a $23K Cartier watch as a make up deal because he didn't bring her as a date to his daughters wedding.

Corzine forgave the entire 470K loan, and it's said he had gifted her MILLIONS more.

Posted on: 2015/6/18 23:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
You open yourself up to all sorts of issues. What if Christie had been boinking the Bridget Kelly? Or when you date someone you do business with, like Corzine and Carla Katz.

What was that woman's name who Christie made (and subsequently forgave) the $40-ish thousand loan to? She worked for him at the U.S. attorney's office. I think he made her head of economic development if I'm remembering correctly. I'm sure he did all that for her because she makes a nice baked ziti.

Posted on: 2015/6/18 20:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Getting back to the girlfriend - Jush?

I don't care, but my nana sent me an e-mail from heaven inquiring.

Posted on: 2015/6/18 20:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

What if Christie had been boinking the Bridget Kelly?

Think it's been many many years since Fatty Arbuckle even saw his schmeckle.

Posted on: 2015/6/18 20:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/18 19:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Because it matters if he hires someone he's shtupping. Or being shtupped by. And if he does it because he's hiding the romance because he's married (and this would be the same if McGreevey was straight and had a woman on the side, of course) it's a concern.

Obviously McGreevey didn't hire the most qualified person. However, what if the guy was qualified? Would it matter that they wanted to get their freak on?

Posted on: 2015/6/18 19:39
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Because it matters if he hires someone he's shtupping. Or being shtupped by. And if he does it because he's hiding the romance because he's married (and this would be the same if McGreevey was straight and had a woman on the side, of course) it's a concern.

Honestly, no. I just simply don?t care about who he dates, sleeps with, has bondage parties with, etc.

Posted on: 2015/6/18 19:24

Edited by Monroe on 2015/6/18 19:46:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I guess if you're ok with a sitting Governor giving his gay lover, a foreign national with no chance of getting a high level security clearance, the job of keeping NJ secure from attack-just to keep him nearby and available and closeted-well, feel free.

I?m not sure what you read that I wrote to give you an idea that I?m ok with a guy handing over a position like that for simply being a lover. I thought I made it pretty clear that it doesn?t matter who the guy is sleeping with which has nothing to do with whether or not I care about who he is hiring. The same goes for Fulop and the same goes for Christie.

They should be hiring the most qualified people at all times. We saw with FEMA under Bush and Homeland Security in NJ under McGreevey, this really isn?t always the case.

Posted on: 2015/6/18 19:03
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Enough about parking already!!

Congrats, Mayor Fulop on your new place - Ogden Avenue is one of the most beautiful blocks in the Heights (IMO, a close second to Sherman Place with it's huge shingle-style and Queen Anne free-standing homes) and I love the old wood-frame houses and am thrilled to see it preserved.

After he was first elected, he held a town meeting in the Heights - part of his "listening tour" - and heard from lots of residents about their ideas for the neighborhood. Now that he's here, I hope gets behind the push to expand the RAD, rebuild the Bandshell in Riverview Park, and push for sensitive development to deal with all the abandoned buildings.

P.S. - If you are reading, Mayor Fulop, I make a mean Cosmo, and am looking forward to an invite to a house party.

WT this should give your RE values a bump.

Posted on: 2015/6/18 18:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Enough about parking already!!

Congrats, Mayor Fulop on your new place - Ogden Avenue is one of the most beautiful blocks in the Heights (IMO, a close second to Sherman Place with it's huge shingle-style and Queen Anne free-standing homes) and I love the old wood-frame houses and am thrilled to see it preserved.

After he was first elected, he held a town meeting in the Heights - part of his "listening tour" - and heard from lots of residents about their ideas for the neighborhood. Now that he's here, I hope gets behind the push to expand the RAD, rebuild the Bandshell in Riverview Park, and push for sensitive development to deal with all the abandoned buildings.

P.S. - If you are reading, Mayor Fulop, I make a mean Cosmo, and am looking forward to an invite to a house party.

Posted on: 2015/6/18 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I guess if you're ok with a sitting Governor giving his gay lover, a foreign national with no chance of getting a high level security clearance, the job of keeping NJ secure from attack-just to keep him nearby and available and closeted-well, feel free.

I am comfortable with a gay sitting governor, I am not comfortable with straight or gay governor giving jobs to their significant others.

And I am very uncomfortable with a closet case.

Posted on: 2015/6/18 16:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/18 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
It for sure mattered when our former Governor (and now Fulop advisor/confidante/mentor) appointed his Israeli lover to a sensitive Homeland Security position, then had to resign because of it. And McGreevey's decision to not make his resignation effective immediately, but for several months later, ensured that there wouldn't be a special election and keep the Governorship Democratic until the normal election cycle. Many state Democrats joined Republicans in calling him out on that, but we know he had no shame at that point anyway.

Ponder this... If nobody gave a rats tail about who McGreevey was getting naked with, there is no beard and there is no fake job.

Alternatively, if nobody cares who he has googly eyes for then his resignation doesn't have the pathetic excuse of "I'm a gay American" and instead would be about his hiring of unqualified people (You're doing a heckofajob Brownie!).

As a society, we seem to care too much about sex and less about the implications of said sex...

Posted on: 2015/6/18 14:51
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It for sure mattered when our former Governor (and now Fulop advisor/confidante/mentor) appointed his Israeli lover to a sensitive Homeland Security position, then had to resign because of it. And McGreevey's decision to not make his resignation effective immediately, but for several months later, ensured that there wouldn't be a special election and keep the Governorship Democratic until the normal election cycle. Many state Democrats joined Republicans in calling him out on that, but we know he had no shame at that point anyway.

Posted on: 2015/6/18 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
You can say anything you want but you do actually know that you live in a neighborhood which is defined by borders right? That is the point I am trying to make. You can say that Santa Claus lives with you all night and day but without any facts, why even say such things at all.

There are crime stats by neighborhood and people are making those comparisons. I guess if you looked at crime stats of your block with downtown in general you can verify that your "block" is just as safe as dtjc but you most likely didn't do that and just as everyone else that lives in crime ridden neighborhoods of JC, you just talk out of your you know what to lure unsuspecting newcomers into these crime ridden areas of JC in the hopes that someday you can live in the "it" neighborhood.

Yes, I was not being serious about my comment re: GV or BL. You are very smart.

I like how you make lots of assumptions. The first being that I don?t recognize ?borders.? I do and I find the Bergen-Lafayette border to be very wide. I don?t consider ?Downtown? to be one monolith, either. There is Van Vorst, Hamilton Park, Newport, Paulus Hook, etc, etc. If you don?t see these downtown areas as different and separate, then I guess that is why you would call Bergen Hill the same.

I also like how you assume that I didn?t do any research before buying. Considering that I?ve been intimately familiar with Jersey City my entire life, I knew where I was buying and what I was getting when buying it (hence why my home value has nearly tripled based on recent sales).

I have no belief that my area will become the ?it? neighborhood. That concept is utterly absurd. However, if you follow real estate (and most serious home owners do), you?ll know that Lafayette?s housing stock has an exceptionally short lifespan. There are properties in Bergen Hill disappearing prior to listing at prices that I think are too high. That isn?t the sign of a crime scene. That?s the sign of ever increasing prices which, quite probably, priced out Fulop.

Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
This is the second story I've seen that references Fulop having a live in girlfriend. Do we have a name or a picture of the Mayor's significant other?

Hmmm I wonder if this is she....it's good to be mayor.
(if not I hope I didn't just get him in trouble)

Resized Image

Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop showed his support by attending Newark Mayor Cory Booke'sr fund raiser for his campaign run for Senate at the Liberty House in Jersey City. August 1, 2013. Ashlee Espinal/The Jersey Journal

That?s the girl I saw him with at Zeppelin Hall during the World Cup?

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

psyop wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
This is the second story I've seen that references Fulop having a live in girlfriend. Do we have a name or a picture of the Mayor's significant other?

So you can mention something about him coming out of the closet again?

He's the one talking about the g/f, don't you want to know more about a potential First Lady of NJ? He's not dating Dina Matos I hope! :)

Honestly, no. I just simply don?t care about who he dates, sleeps with, has bondage parties with, etc. I leave that up to fans of Real Housewives shows?

Posted on: 2015/6/18 13:48
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Your idea sounds EXCELLENT, until you realize that parking downtown is NOT scarce. We have a TON of parking decks that sit mostly empty, certainly never full. What all these nutters obsessed with parking are really bemoaning is the access to FREE parking, EVERYWHERE they go. Well... cry me a river. If you want to own a car, it will cost you. I park on the street. It's not that big a deal. I seldom have to drive around much to find a spot. The worst ever was probably 2 or 3 minutes, certainly less than 5.

Not just free parking. In Yvonneland, it doesn't count as parking unless it's right in front of your destination. She can't fathom a world in which people walk, bike or take the train. Or even walk a couple of blocks between parking spot and destination. In her world, everyone is infirm and always driving to the doctor's office - presumably for obesity-related ailments since no one burns any calories in Yvonneland. All they do is drive... In an endless loop around Jersey City.... Looking for parking...

Luckily for Fulop, he's probably the physically fittest mayor in the state. I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to jog to/from work everyday.

Posted on: 2015/6/18 13:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gibbons70 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I bring this up as an issue since some new construction downtown now has no parking and the mayor has taken a parking lot in Journal Square away from the courts which was also used by the public in the evening for development. Previously, all new development required one to one parking. Once Fulop became councilman, he reduced parking for downtown and this is now what is happening in other parts of the city as mayor. Not everyone takes the train or bus to NYC.

I've heard about this, how fucked up is that? All this construction, and yet no parking?

Maybe I should buy property, and build a parking lot for residents only downtown, probably make a killing, without having to gouge people.

Your idea sounds EXCELLENT, until you realize that parking downtown is NOT scarce. We have a TON of parking decks that sit mostly empty, certainly never full. What all these nutters obsessed with parking are really bemoaning is the access to FREE parking, EVERYWHERE they go. Well... cry me a river. If you want to own a car, it will cost you. I park on the street. It's not that big a deal. I seldom have to drive around much to find a spot. The worst ever was probably 2 or 3 minutes, certainly less than 5.

Posted on: 2015/6/18 12:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/12 21:26
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I bring this up as an issue since some new construction downtown now has no parking and the mayor has taken a parking lot in Journal Square away from the courts which was also used by the public in the evening for development. Previously, all new development required one to one parking. Once Fulop became councilman, he reduced parking for downtown and this is now what is happening in other parts of the city as mayor. Not everyone takes the train or bus to NYC.

I've heard about this, how fucked up is that? All this construction, and yet no parking?

Maybe I should buy property, and build a parking lot for residents only downtown, probably make a killing, without having to gouge people.

Posted on: 2015/6/18 5:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

psyop wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

He's the one talking about the g/f, don't you want to know more about a potential First Lady of NJ? He's not dating Dina Matos I hope! :)

Posted on: 2015/6/18 1:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2015/6/18 1:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Lots of gay Jewish boys with beards live in Greenville I live across the road from two.

Posted on: 2015/6/18 0:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/15 0:21
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Hmmm I wonder if this is she....it's good to be mayor.
(if not I hope I didn't just get him in trouble)

Resized Image

Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop showed his support by attending Newark Mayor Cory Booke'sr fund raiser for his campaign run for Senate at the Liberty House in Jersey City. August 1, 2013. Ashlee Espinal/The Jersey Journal

Posted on: 2015/6/18 0:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/18 0:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Why would a nice Jewish boy like Fulop move into a shithole like Greenville?

Looks like he paid full price for a nicely renovated place on a classic street in the Heights sans illegal curb cut parking spot.

Holla !

Posted on: 2015/6/17 23:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Quote:

Christine wrote:
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
Mayor made a terrible purchase if he actually paid 700k+, for that amount of money you can buy a house in rutherford, glen rock or even ridgewood where the area and schools are infinitely better.

Keep in mind most people buy single family have kids who need good schools.

I actually commend him for not leaving the city in which he is mayor. Why a terrible purchase? The area is undergoing major changes right now.
His NYC view is gorgeous. I think that people should purchase according to their own priorities. Some prefer neighborhoods, some prefer hubs - he has the best of both - nearby shops, farmer's market, shoprite at base of elevator, coffee shops, new bars opening, lite rail elevator, access to Hoboken and Lincoln tunnel, 2 parks.

I am just glad he stayed in Jersey City. I think that local politicians should stay local.

By law, the mayor & councilpeople must reside in Jersey City. Unlike some others, he actually lives here & not using some shell address. (I hope that is the right term)
of course, crime can happen anywhere but we all know there are serious problems in bergen-lafayette and greenville - just drive down mlk and ocean ave, i don't have the answers to the problem, but there are too many uneducated troublemakers concentrated in those neighborhoods.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 22:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Christine wrote:
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
Mayor made a terrible purchase if he actually paid 700k+, for that amount of money you can buy a house in rutherford, glen rock or even ridgewood where the area and schools are infinitely better.

Keep in mind most people buy single family have kids who need good schools.

I actually commend him for not leaving the city in which he is mayor. Why a terrible purchase? The area is undergoing major changes right now.
His NYC view is gorgeous. I think that people should purchase according to their own priorities. Some prefer neighborhoods, some prefer hubs - he has the best of both - nearby shops, farmer's market, shoprite at base of elevator, coffee shops, new bars opening, lite rail elevator, access to Hoboken and Lincoln tunnel, 2 parks.

I am just glad he stayed in Jersey City. I think that local politicians should stay local.

By law, the mayor & councilpeople must reside in Jersey City. Unlike some others, he actually lives here & not using some shell address. (I hope that is the right term)

Posted on: 2015/6/17 22:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Now that's a dream commute, If more people worked in Jersey City the heights is the way to go. Congrats, nice to hear Bergen Lafayette priced the mayor OUT!
did bergen lafayette really price fulop out, or did fulop not bid aggressively enough because his girlfriend did not want to live there....honestly, there is a shooting every damn week in bergen lafayette.

Bergen-Lafayette is a rather stupid moniker to begin with since its basically two different neighborhoods lumped together for no real reason. Additionally, it's a very large area. So saying there is a shooting there very week, when many of these shootings are taking place so very far away from various locations, is just a silly argument.

However, yeah, he's likely priced out, he doesn't feel the value for the home is on par or he just really liked the view that he was getting out of his back deck (most likely).

I love the what I call "no borders" argument because to be honest, we are all on planet Earth so downtown jersey City is just as dangerous as Fallujah Iraq....

I'm not even sure what the point is that you are trying to make. I can safely state that the block I live on is just about as safe as every neighborhood downtown. That doesn't mean that every block in Bergen Hill or the Lafayette area is just as safe, but it does point out that lumping in a giant section of town because of a few spot incidents doesn't quite cut it.

As for your thought that Fulop could buy "All of Bergen-Lafayette and Greenville" for what he paid... well, that just shows ignorance or that you're simply trolling. (I'll go with the latter.)

You can say anything you want but you do actually know that you live in a neighborhood which is defined by borders right? That is the point I am trying to make. You can say that Santa Claus lives with you all night and day but without any facts, why even say such things at all.

There are crime stats by neighborhood and people are making those comparisons. I guess if you looked at crime stats of your block with downtown in general you can verify that your "block" is just as safe as dtjc but you most likely didn't do that and just as everyone else that lives in crime ridden neighborhoods of JC, you just talk out of your you know what to lure unsuspecting newcomers into these crime ridden areas of JC in the hopes that someday you can live in the "it" neighborhood.

Yes, I was not being serious about my comment re: GV or BL. You are very smart.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 21:07

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017