Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
71 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 71

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: NewYorkYIMBY.com - Fulup Interview
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

my2cents wrote:
Quote:

JCSHEP wrote:
I wonder how the people of JC took the late 20s. Today the PATH has less than 65% of the riders they had back then (H&M RR).

My guess is that ridership and service was higher during what is now off-peak and rush hours may have extended into the weekend.
Also, in the days before commercial airlines and interstate highways, I would think the "Tubes" were the connector for the several railroads that did not connect to Penn Station. Also, I don't believe the Holland Tunnel was open until the late 1920's.

I think that's just about right. The H&M higher ridership included a lot of travelers heading to railroad connections and people going from one side of JC to the other.

Posted on: 2014/11/3 15:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
In the 60's for a brief time there were cars for "ladies only" and they were perfumed. Anyone remember?

Nope, but I do remember when each car was dedicated to a town in NJ with a short description.

Posted on: 2014/11/3 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
In this case, I believe it's perfectly descriptive.

Posted on: 2014/11/3 14:41

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 22:25
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCSHEP wrote:
I wonder how the people of JC took the late 20s. Today the PATH has less than 65% of the riders they had back then (H&M RR).

My guess is that ridership and service was higher during what is now off-peak and rush hours may have extended into the weekend.
Also, in the days before commercial airlines and interstate highways, I would think the "Tubes" were the connector for the several railroads that did not connect to Penn Station. Also, I don't believe the Holland Tunnel was open until the late 1920's.

Posted on: 2014/11/3 2:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
In the 60's for a brief time there were cars for "ladies only" and they were perfumed. Anyone remember?

Posted on: 2014/11/3 1:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCSHEP wrote:

They took it in their stride. No a/c and men wore suits and ties to work. I can remember when the subway had cane seating and (I think) overhead fans, and I thought that I was a lucky kid to have a summer job in Manhattan. However, men carried briefcases or lunch boxes and women purses so an individual might have taken up less space than one does today. Oh, and no strollers!

Posted on: 2014/11/2 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/11/2 12:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
It sounds like the port authority can't keep up with the needs and demands of the growing population of commuters.

Its not the mayors job to restrict development or keep new people from moving to the city because too many are riding the train and there is no plan to handle it. Think about how ridiculous it would sound if the MTA or Lirr said that to NYC.

The port authority has shitty service because it makes major changes like closing service to WTC on weekends and gives a weeks notice.

Posted on: 2014/11/2 5:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCCheerleader wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

JCCheerleader wrote:
How so? The Port Authority is the entity that's not keeping up with our changing times. Them and people who get offended by the commonly used word, 'shitty'.

And the city is contributing to the problem. The more people, the more trains. Trains that should be serviced are put back into service due to more people. Simply put, JC and the PATH, is a poor marriage, no communication. Fulop is part of the problem.
i guess the solution for some would be halt development

Only so many people can fit on boat before it sinks and there is no quality of life if you cannot take the trains to work at a decent time. There are people who get up at 5:30 am to make sure they catch an early train. What is the point of urban living if you are spending more time waiting to get on a train. I said in the past, we need more stations and another affordable ferry system. I have been saying this since the 1990s. Constantly building without providing services is just plain silly then have the mayor call out the PATH just adds to, "It is not my problem" routine.

You don't take the Path, do you? No one has to get up at 5 in the morning to get to Manhattan via the Path and it doesn't have any boats, so there will be no sinking.

I have been riding the PATH since the 1960s, but if I can avoid the PATH, I will. It is too crowded, even during non-rush hours.

Posted on: 2014/11/2 1:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

JCCheerleader wrote:
How so? The Port Authority is the entity that's not keeping up with our changing times. Them and people who get offended by the commonly used word, 'shitty'.

And the city is contributing to the problem. The more people, the more trains. Trains that should be serviced are put back into service due to more people. Simply put, JC and the PATH, is a poor marriage, no communication. Fulop is part of the problem.

Only so many people can fit on boat before it sinks and there is no quality of life if you cannot take the trains to work at a decent time. There are people who get up at 5:30 am to make sure they catch an early train. What is the point of urban living if you are spending more time waiting to get on a train. I said in the past, we need more stations and another affordable ferry system. I have been saying this since the 1990s. Constantly building without providing services is just plain silly then have the mayor call out the PATH just adds to, "It is not my problem" routine.

You don't take the Path, do you? No one has to get up at 5 in the morning to get to Manhattan via the Path and it doesn't have any boats, so there will be no sinking.

Posted on: 2014/11/1 22:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The city could push for affordable ferry system at different spots around the city. But it does nothing except attack Port Authority.

Posted on: 2014/11/1 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/1 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
the port authority has said in the past , that the city is over building downtown and more specifically on Grove, Healy started to shift focus to journal square, but he didn't slow down Grove area development, Steven is not doing much to slow it down either. It will be interesting going forward, everything we are now seeing was approved and in place under Healy, for better or for worst. No matter how Steven spins what is happening, he was bystander over the last 8 years to what is being developed now. The move away from the waterfront was started by Healy, hence the Journal Square Plan, Bayfront, Canal Crossing, Berry Lane, affordable housing all over the city, AMB Warehouse -1000 jobs, McGinley Square Plan, 18 street, just a sampling, Steven, build your own legacy, stop taking credit for Healy's.

Posted on: 2014/11/1 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I said in the past, we need more stations and another affordable ferry system. I have been saying this since the 1990s.

And since 1990 you're still wrong. Adding more stations is NOT solving the overcrowding problem. You can't add express trains to the existing system. You need to add more parallel tracks to existing lines.

Another anonymous person, probably city hall employee who is trying to attack logic, sad.

Zzzz same old defense, you run to when you know you're wrong. "you're anonymous" "city hall employee" "you're a bully"

Tell me why a city hall employee would be so incentivized to say it's a track problem vs. the number of stations??

Posted on: 2014/11/1 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I said in the past, we need more stations and another affordable ferry system. I have been saying this since the 1990s.

And since 1990 you're still wrong. Adding more stations is NOT solving the overcrowding problem. You can't add express trains to the existing system. You need to add more parallel tracks to existing lines.

Another anonymous person, probably city hall employee who is trying to attack logic, sad.

Posted on: 2014/11/1 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2014/11/1 19:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

JCCheerleader wrote:

were it not for development and the ^rospect of a more affluent population, there would be far fewer amenities/restaurants....as far as overcrowded trains, maybe you might have to wait for a train or two, but it is never more than that....maybe the port authority needs to get creative with scheduling

Only the Port Authority is at fault? This leads me to think you are trying to protect your city hall job.

Posted on: 2014/11/1 19:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

JCCheerleader wrote:

were it not for development and the ^rospect of a more affluent population, there would be far fewer amenities/restaurants....as far as overcrowded trains, maybe you might have to wait for a train or two, but it is never more than that....maybe the port authority needs to get creative with scheduling

Posted on: 2014/11/1 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

JCCheerleader wrote:

Posted on: 2014/11/1 18:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

JCCheerleader wrote:

Posted on: 2014/11/1 18:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCCheerleader wrote:

Posted on: 2014/11/1 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/11/1 16:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have been riding the PATH since the 1960s. Around the 1970s, 80s and early 90s, the PATH received transportation recognition as excellent service. Those days are over there are too many people using the system and money has been diverted for the World Trade Center. But the more people use the system, the worse it becomes. The idea of attacking Port Authority is laughable if the city is contributing to the overcrowding problem.

Posted on: 2014/11/1 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne, if you believe that Fulop shouldn't encourage development in Journal Square as a way to cure the overcrowded PATH service, you'll want to get a better clue about what works to make a community healthy. Fulop is doing the right thing, calling the PATH service for what it is: shitty. There are thousands of people who agree with him. Don't get distracted by a commonly used word like 'shitty' and go use your energy complaining to the Port Authority about their service. Maybe you can get them to fix it.
That being said, I was disappointed when Fulop left out some of the other unique things that make Journal Square so special. He could have have mentioned Little India, Mana Contemporary, Art House Productions, the Apple Tree House, Old Bergen Church, St. Peter's University, Hudson County Community College, Moteleone's Bakery, Philippine Bread House, Prince Pizzeria, and Astor Bar and Grill and that funky hot dog place next to Lowe's Theater that sells hotdogs at 8 in the morning.

Posted on: 2014/11/1 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
nyc subway is not gonna gold, silver or bronze medals anytime soon...and service during rush hour sucks! i have never been to a major city where trains are not packed like crazy except maybe paris

Posted on: 2014/11/1 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
If the comment in the NY Times concerns PATH services, why is the service horrible? The trains are packed when it arrives in Journal Square from Harrison, from Journal to Grove, you cannot get on. It is packed due to more people who live in Harrison and especially JC. And what are we doing to make the service worse? We are bringing in more development with more people to pack the trains. Fulop is contributing to the overcrowding which makes the service bad. He also shares the blame.

Yes the trains are sometimes crowded, although one would think that all us hoity toity people posting on JCList could arrange our schedules around that. The service is shitty because it breaks down all the time - if I don't get at least 3 delay messages a day, I assume my phone is not charged.

And now let's discuss your abhorrance of double standards. Are you no longer a member of a sect that believes that salvation can only be achieved thru a certain somebody (don't want to offend any Kiwis) and that everyone else is doomed?

You have nothing positive to say so you attack religion? You are not doing Fulop any favors.

Posted on: 2014/11/1 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
If the comment in the NY Times concerns PATH services, why is the service horrible? The trains are packed when it arrives in Journal Square from Harrison, from Journal to Grove, you cannot get on. It is packed due to more people who live in Harrison and especially JC. And what are we doing to make the service worse? We are bringing in more development with more people to pack the trains. Fulop is contributing to the overcrowding which makes the service bad. He also shares the blame.

Yes the trains are sometimes crowded, although one would think that all us hoity toity people posting on JCList could arrange our schedules around that. The service is shitty because it breaks down all the time - if I don't get at least 3 delay messages a day, I assume my phone is not charged.

And now let's discuss your abhorrance of double standards. Are you no longer a member of a sect that believes that salvation can only be achieved thru a certain somebody (don't want to offend any Kiwis) and that everyone else is doomed?

Posted on: 2014/11/1 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/11/1 16:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I am offended by double standards, a citizen was removed from council chambers last year when he held up a sign blasting an abatement, yet the mayor can use any language he wants. Riaz was removed by two cops during the give-a-way of the KRE abatement for 30 years in Journal Square. The abatement also put taxpayers on the hook for $10 million in addition to the 30 years. Double standards are becoming the hallmark of this administration.

That doesnt really have anything to do with a double standard. Him saying the PATH is shitty (which it is) and someone getting removed for making a scene at a rally have nothing in common.

Posted on: 2014/11/1 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The irony in all of this, you have Fulop calling out the PATH on lousy service, I won't repeat what he said. But how many new buildings he is proposing to make the problem worse? I have been saying since the 1990s, the PATH needs another line or we need an affordable ferry service. If you call the PATH out for lousy service, then it is also lousy due to thousands more people taking the trains.

Posted on: 2014/11/1 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
There is no excuse for Fulop using language that is inappropriate. You can say the same things without foul language. Just another hothead like Christie, another embarrassment.

F that, Yvonne. I may not be a big fan of Fulop, but I applaud that "shitty" line specifically. When discussing the Port Authority, and more specifically PATH, more explicit language SHOULD be used by officials in published reports because there is no other way to describe it. It's really the only way to draw attention to what is, in reality, one of the most corrupt, poorly run organizations in the country.

If you're offended by that, maybe you should disconnect from the internets and the world at large. It's a scary place ya know.

Bravo Fulop!

I am offended by double standards, a citizen was removed from council chambers last year when he held up a sign blasting an abatement, yet the mayor can use any language he wants. Riaz was removed by two cops during the give-a-way of the KRE abatement for 30 years in Journal Square. The abatement also put taxpayers on the hook for $10 million in addition to the 30 years. Double standards are becoming the hallmark of this administration.

You're the only one who cares.

Posted on: 2014/11/1 15:30

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017