Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
133 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: VERY rich friend divorcing; wants 2 BR luxury rental
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Good comparison on the night-life there. I don't mind other aspects of Hoboken like the great Italian Deli's, Tunes and some good restaurants. Some places there, like some of the people, try too hard. Robongi has good sushi but they blast music which is a sad attempt to make the place seem like it's happening. I guess that's what some people want around here. BLAST music and scream over it "ISN'T THIS AWESOME?!!" Something tells me that this helpless woman doesn't need the PATH like her peons do.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Here's my take on Hoboken, from another thread:

Hoboken is best described as that girl you hook up with but won't date. You just do every possible disgusting thing with no shame, head home afterwards, and call her up when you need her.

I'm happy your happy, bro.

Quote:

jmcee wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Hoboken is a terrible choice unless you're an overgrown frat kid who misses the party lifestyle from college.

F Hoboken.

I have been living in DT Jersey City for over ten years and just moved to Hoboken a few months ago and so far I am very happy with my decision. I know Hoboken gets a bad rap for all the knuckleheads but that is not what I am seeing on a daily basis. We used to go out to bars and restaurants in Hoboken when we lived in JC and now we do the reverse.

It wasn't my intention to buy in Hoboken but there was not much available in 2BRs and a bunch of over priced crap available in DTJC when we were looking. So just for the hell of it we looked at a few places in Hoboken and ended up falling in love with one of them.

I can't tell how much less I hate my commute to 33rd St already, the trains are so much less crowded, I usually get a seat in both directions. In my opinion the Jersey City PATH situation is heading for certain disaster with each high rise, high density building being approved by the JC council. And with development beginning in JSQ it will only add to the misery at Grove and Newport.

Oh yeah, and my taxes are lower than similar properties in DTJC. Let the haters hate!

again, i've asked multiple times, how is she helpless?

you gonna ignore this one too?

Posted on: 2014/1/8 22:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Good comparison on the night-life there. I don't mind other aspects of Hoboken like the great Italian Deli's, Tunes and some good restaurants. Some places there, like some of the people, try too hard. Robongi has good sushi but they blast music which is a sad attempt to make the place seem like it's happening. I guess that's what some people want around here. BLAST music and scream over it "ISN'T THIS AWESOME?!!" Something tells me that this helpless woman doesn't need the PATH like her peons do.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Hoboken is best described as that girl you hook up with but won't date. You just do every possible disgusting thing with no shame, head home afterwards, and call her up when you need her.

Quote:

jmcee wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Hoboken is a terrible choice unless you're an overgrown frat kid who misses the party lifestyle from college.

F Hoboken.

I have been living in DT Jersey City for over ten years and just moved to Hoboken a few months ago and so far I am very happy with my decision. I know Hoboken gets a bad rap for all the knuckleheads but that is not what I am seeing on a daily basis. We used to go out to bars and restaurants in Hoboken when we lived in JC and now we do the reverse.

It wasn't my intention to buy in Hoboken but there was not much available in 2BRs and a bunch of over priced crap available in DTJC when we were looking. So just for the hell of it we looked at a few places in Hoboken and ended up falling in love with one of them.

I can't tell how much less I hate my commute to 33rd St already, the trains are so much less crowded, I usually get a seat in both directions. In my opinion the Jersey City PATH situation is heading for certain disaster with each high rise, high density building being approved by the JC council. And with development beginning in JSQ it will only add to the misery at Grove and Newport.

Oh yeah, and my taxes are lower than similar properties in DTJC. Let the haters hate!

Posted on: 2014/1/8 21:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I heard the VERY rich friend gave up and moved to Saddle River.

you're so jealous she has money, it's hilarious

Posted on: 2014/1/8 21:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned

Quote:

jmcee wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

F Hoboken.

Posted on: 2014/1/8 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I heard the VERY rich friend gave up and moved to Saddle River.

Posted on: 2014/1/8 21:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

F Hoboken.

Posted on: 2014/1/8 21:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
I was rich I'd live in 77 Hudson, Crystal Pointe or one of the Newport highrises. Throwing in Hoboken I would consider the W.

Also re: Hamilton Park...it's not a far walk to the PATH, and it's easy to go through the mall. Yes who needs heat on their walk to work on a day like today...

And buildings with doormen...Parc Hamilton, Hamilton Square, 135 Montgomery, 700 Grove, Zephyr Lofts, and I'm pretty sure most if not all of the Newport buildings and all of the newer places in Exchange have doormen.

Posted on: 2014/1/8 20:52

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/25 1:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:

Or Gulls Cove

...eew

Posted on: 2014/1/7 2:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
Here is a good one for your friend at the top of her budget:

http://www.weichert.com/49232462/

Posted on: 2014/1/6 22:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
+1. I think I love Tommy lol. That is the best way to phrase the pro jersey city stance. Bravo sir.

Posted on: 2014/1/6 20:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Here is something a lot of people aren't really grasping, I think.

No matter how much money you make, or have, you'll get more space for your money than you would in Manhattan. So whether you can afford to spend $2k or $6k in rent, for that sum you will get either more space, more amenities, or a better view (or all of the above) in Jersey City.

In the grand scheme of things, in the immediate New York area, downtown Jersey City offers a lifestyle that is really good. I'm comparing it to the outer boroughs. DTJC compares pretty favorably to most parts of the 4 outer boroughs.

Also - not everybody wants to live in Manhattan. It really is that simple. Some people like to be a step removed from the heart of the city. My plan years ago was to live in JC for a couple of years and then get a pad in Manhattan. It didn't happen because I fell in love with it here.

Posted on: 2014/1/6 20:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Many buildings in Paulus Hook have door people (or a concierge because the doors are automated).

F Hoboken.

Quote:

Annod wrote:
Are there any places in Jersey City where there is a doorman to open the door for you? How about Hoboken?

Posted on: 2014/1/6 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:
Are there any places in Jersey City where there is a doorman to open the door for you? How about Hoboken?

Trump building

Posted on: 2014/1/6 20:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SilveryJessica wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I would say the OP has probably given up. Hopefully she told her helpless friend to "HIRE A FUCKING REALTOR! I'M NOT YOUR BITCH!"

The OP did indeed give up because it is pointless to ask for help on this board without the request being hijacked by ridiculous comments that are unhelpful and unfunny.

Once again, for the comprehension impaired, since I live here, I was asked for my opinion, but since I don't have all the answers, I asked you for input. Being rich doesn't mean she can't or won't choose to hire a realtor, merely that she was looking for a local person's thoughts first to inform her search and decisionmaking. It's also germane to my question since she is in fact in a position to actually pay $5/6K a month for a rental, which a lot of people aren't, and it makes a difference as to the answers I am going to get. My wanting to be helpful doesn't make me her bitch.

Thanks to those who helped.

Whether or not your friend can afford a realtor is not important - what is important is she reached out to a friend for advice, which is important to get real feedback on a place before committing.

IMO if your friend can pay $5-6,000 a month, she should really consider moving to Manhattan. I've lived here for 5 years, and I advise anyone who can afford it to remain/move to Manhattan, as it ofers a quality of life that cannot be matched anywhere. Manhattan, inceasingly is for the affluent (which is why I'm here LOL) but she'll meet more people with similar professional accomplishments, and almost as important as shared interests - a shared ability to do the same things you want to - hot restaurants, shopping, etc.

Posted on: 2014/1/6 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/6 19:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
I live in VanVorst Park but if i had to choose a rental, i'd say Laguna would be a great option for rental. I'd also consider purchasing at 77 Hudson or Crystal Pointe or Liberty Terrace. I bet the views are awesome.

Quote:

ItalianGuy525 wrote:
[size=large]Enough with the Beacon! Don't they always say the "Projects" are going away? Guess what? They're not! They need projects in an inner city of course they have to make the finishes appealing what else is there. The true test of an area you plan to reside is drive by at night, I say drive because it makes for a faster get away. Do you're googling before you land anywhere and know whats around you whether its coming or going. Laguna in Newport is my safe haven. [/size]

I looked at all of those and they are all great. I would not ever as a renter consider The Beacon if my price range was between $4-6K/month.

Posted on: 2014/1/6 19:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
I live in VanVorst Park but if i had to choose a rental, i'd say Laguna would be a great option for rental. I'd also consider purchasing at 77 Hudson or Crystal Pointe or Liberty Terrace. I bet the views are awesome.

Quote:

ItalianGuy525 wrote:
[size=large]Enough with the Beacon! Don't they always say the "Projects" are going away? Guess what? They're not! They need projects in an inner city of course they have to make the finishes appealing what else is there. The true test of an area you plan to reside is drive by at night, I say drive because it makes for a faster get away. Do you're googling before you land anywhere and know whats around you whether its coming or going. Laguna in Newport is my safe haven. [/size]

Posted on: 2014/1/6 19:40

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/17 3:02
From JC waterfront
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/6 19:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
The listing shows a studio-ish unit on the bottom floor I believe.

My only point in bringing up the house listings was to make it obvious that this area isn't "crime infested" or an area to "fear for your life".

I just don't see how any listing agent would take on a project and be willing to put a home up for sale at those prices if it wasn't within a reasonable market expectation. I don't believe the asking price will be what these buildings sell for, but they won't disappear for $100k.

Posted on: 2014/1/6 14:37
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
The listing shows a studio-ish unit on the bottom floor I believe.

Posted on: 2014/1/6 14:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Near you, Pebble, this actually looks ok but no parking. http://www.sothebysrealty.com/eng/sal ... tone-jersey-city-nj-07304

I know of this place. I believe that it's also configured as a multi-family building. However, it does come with one of those truly ghetto features: a roof deck with a straight view of Manhattan.

Posted on: 2014/1/6 14:19
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Near you, Pebble, this actually looks ok but no parking. http://www.sothebysrealty.com/eng/sal ... tone-jersey-city-nj-07304

Posted on: 2014/1/5 21:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Pebble, the link to the 'single family property'you listed states it's a multi-family property . . . 7 bedrooms/4 baths.

Well that's foolish of me... Looks like a single family home. It has only one mailbox and one doorbell last time I walked past it, but if not, that's still a solid price for a place that looks that good.

There is an empty lot next to it selling for $350k...

Although it's a little farther away, it's more "into the ghetto"... http://www.weichert.com/46727673/

Posted on: 2014/1/5 21:09
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Pebble, the link to the 'single family property'you listed states it's a multi-family property . . . 7 bedrooms/4 baths.

Posted on: 2014/1/5 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Pebble you sure are a funny cat. Yes, we understand the building itself is beautiful, but the surrounding neighborhoods are as ghetto as it gets (note I said ghetto implying poor, not a specific race, I already know what you're thinking).

Why are you bringing up race?

I?ve walked around the Beacon quite a few times. There are single family properties going for nearly a half million about a block away (http://www.weichert.com/50082237/). Your definition of ghetto is rather interesting?

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Hell, Fordham University is a beautiful, fenced off campus, but visiting my friends there was always a risky proposition when walking/taking a train there. It is a virtual jungle around the campus where shootings happened daily.

In a sense the residents are prisoners who can't just go for a stroll in a neighborhood because its a crime ridden sh*thole.

I don?t know why you are bringing up Fordham other than to talk about an area you?ve actually been to since you don?t know the area around the Beacon.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
I know, I know I'm a racist prick for calling it that. Actually, no I'm not. That's the reality. I have friends who live there and they like the building but wouldn't dare walk from their building to exchange place. Ever. And these are black folks saying this.

You can ignore reality under the whole progressive, reality-agnostic lens you value so much, but the reality is the Beacon is a joke.

And I have white friends that live near there that walk from that area to bars downtown. What does that prove?

My vision is perfectly clear. I just happen to know the area better than you do. Have you ever walked into Pastore Liquor store one block up on Montgomery? They aren?t stocked to the brim with malt liquor in 40 oz bottles.

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

The people that live in the Beacon do not live in the area. They live in the Beacon.

I think you destroyed any credibility you may have had with this comical statement. Talk about being in denial of reality!

Irony?

Posted on: 2014/1/5 14:06
Dos A Cero

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 0:12
From Downtown JC/Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I would say the OP has probably given up. Hopefully she told her helpless friend to "HIRE A FUCKING REALTOR! I'M NOT YOUR BITCH!"

The OP did indeed give up because it is pointless to ask for help on this board without the request being hijacked by ridiculous comments that are unhelpful and unfunny.

Once again, for the comprehension impaired, since I live here, I was asked for my opinion, but since I don't have all the answers, I asked you for input. Being rich doesn't mean she can't or won't choose to hire a realtor, merely that she was looking for a local person's thoughts first to inform her search and decisionmaking. It's also germane to my question since she is in fact in a position to actually pay $5/6K a month for a rental, which a lot of people aren't, and it makes a difference as to the answers I am going to get. My wanting to be helpful doesn't make me her bitch.

Thanks to those who helped.

Posted on: 2014/1/5 5:27

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/17 3:02
From JC waterfront
Group:
Registered Users
Okay folks I read all the comments and I posted a reply earlier. The Beacon is a no totally not safe drive by at night and really see what goes on. Hamilton Park area is just a bit fart to walk to the crowded Grove Street path. Journal Square is far and safe problems. The heights is not convenient at all path to light rail, hiking up the hill. The waterfront lower end Hudson, Trump etc. its a hike to the path station or again the light rail to the path. Just come to Laguana Newport brand & shiny and upgraded across from the Newport Green park and a nice 10 minute walk to decompress on the Promenade to the Hoboken path (not as crowded). The roof deck overlooks the Hudson really a great place. I don't work for the company we just live here and are so happy after selling our home in CT and moving to Laguana. Check it out at least you will be pleasantly surprised. Happy New Year friends.

Posted on: 2014/1/5 5:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Bringing back trollies would be cool!

Quote:

MDM wrote:
[quote]
Br6dR wrote:
That will improve the area but it's still lacking a lightrail or a path stop.

[quote]

True. However, I have a property down on Belmont that can be difficult to rent at times. Its not the transportation issue (my tenants use the bus) that causes the issues. Its the dens of iniquity down the block (Section 8 Housing) that give potential tenants pause (buildings full of people behaving badly).

Not every neighborhood needs a train stop to thrive.

Side note: A while back, someone posted a link to a bunch of old Jersey City Engineering maps showing everything from sewers to the trolly system. The trollies used to go everywhere! There were very few areas in the city you couldn't get to by trolley.

Posted on: 2014/1/4 23:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I agree, I would never consider a area without a train. Buses are so 1998.

I'll go one step further - if I couldn't walk to Newport, Grove or Exchange Place PATH I'd move to Manhattan.

I hear you, as I said earlier I would like to retire by 55 and Manhattan is not an option unless I want to retire at 70 which is not my goal. I would choose my hometown Brooklyn b4 Manhattan. I lived in the city for 5 years and never really cared for city life. No one ever calls b4 stopping by when you live in the city. Someone is always in the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2014/1/4 23:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I agree, I would never consider a area without a train. Buses are so 1998.

I'll go one step further - if I couldn't walk to Newport, Grove or Exchange Place PATH I'd move to Manhattan.

Posted on: 2014/1/4 23:37

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017