Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
133 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Woman Robbed at Knifepoint on Mercer St.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

carpetbaggertil718 wrote:
Its not that the Hoboken PD does a better job, they're not dealing with the sheer volume Jersey City does everyday. If you think things are bad now just wait until February 1st when 100 cops get laid off. The city is doing it smart and waiting until the dead of winter when things are usually slow. A word of advice.....don't be out on the street on the first warm night of late spring. The job is gonna get real exciting again like the late 80s and early 90s. The waterfront should be kind of OK but the pioneer Yuppies who bought into the hood to get in on the ground floor of urban renewal are completely fu**ed. Oh Biff a newly renovated two bedroom overlooking Ercell Webb Park where our children can laugh and play in a multi cultural environment and to think we got the place at a steal. Oh Muffy its all part of the plan........good luck with that. No more narcotics unit, no more street crimes unit, just bare minimum manpower on each tour. Everybody cries that the cops make too much money, have too many benefits, are lazy etc.... They're knocking out pretty much a whole district in terms of manpower. Everybody on here who thinks the cops have it so good and should be cut are going to get thier wish. Think your taxes are going down when they get rid of these guys? The only thing going down is your property values. Might I add the majority of people living in JC rent. If you rent you dont pay real estate taxes so stop complianing about taxes. Only your landlord pays property tax.

Aren't the names "Biff" and "Muffy" more defined as WASP's? Jeepers, if you're going to try and be hostile towards an economic class you may want to do your research.

Posted on: 2010/11/4 12:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
Quote:

carpetbaggertil718 wrote:
Its not that the Hoboken PD does a better job, they're not dealing with the sheer volume Jersey City does everyday. If you think things are bad now just wait until February 1st when 100 cops get laid off. The city is doing it smart and waiting until the dead of winter when things are usually slow. A word of advice.....don't be out on the street on the first warm night of late spring. The job is gonna get real exciting again like the late 80s and early 90s. The waterfront should be kind of OK but the pioneer Yuppies who bought into the hood to get in on the ground floor of urban renewal are completely fu**ed. Oh Biff a newly renovated two bedroom overlooking Ercell Webb Park where our children can laugh and play in a multi cultural environment and to think we got the place at a steal. Oh Muffy its all part of the plan........good luck with that. No more narcotics unit, no more street crimes unit, just bare minimum manpower on each tour. Everybody cries that the cops make too much money, have too many benefits, are lazy etc.... They're knocking out pretty much a whole district in terms of manpower. Everybody on here who thinks the cops have it so good and should be cut are going to get thier wish. Think your taxes are going down when they get rid of these guys? The only thing going down is your property values. Might I add the majority of people living in JC rent. If you rent you dont pay real estate taxes so stop complianing about taxes. Only your landlord pays property tax.

1. Goodbye and good riddance. The crooked cops will be less dangerous as civilian criminals than as officially sanctioned criminals.

2. People who rent pay property taxes in the form of rent, duh.

Posted on: 2010/11/4 9:31

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/21 15:28
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/11/4 4:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ratslayer wrote:
As long as you have those bloody housing projects close to downtown, muggings and robberies will not drop off despite downtown becoming more populated and prosperous. These scumbags don\'t have to travel far to find their victims and to retreat back quickly to their crack dens.

This is 100% true.

Although, on second thought, think about the projects on the west side of Hoboken. Now I've never lived in Hoboken, but I know a lot of people who have lived very close to those projects, and I've never heard stories of muggings. I think the Hoboken police just do a better job.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 21:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/8 14:23
Group:
Registered Users
Just in response to the original message, our group has responded to the residents and will be conducting a Blockwatch Patrol pls. join in at any meeting point. Open to all JC Residents who are interested in forming a blockwatch.

Downtown JC Watch BLOCKWATCH PATROL Friday, November 12, 2010

7:30pm Meet at Enos Jones Park and Start patrol 8pm Monmouth Street/5th Street
8:30 Bright Street/Barrow Street/Wayne Street
9:00 Grove Street/Mercer
9:30 Erie/3rd Street

Please join us at any point but please give us 15 minutes waiting time.

Learn:
? how to start a blockwatch
? how to call the non-emergency number
? how to resolve simple quality of life issues such as graffiti or streetlight
? how to report suspicious activity

Contact us at downtownjcwatch@gmail.com

THANKS!

Posted on: 2010/11/3 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

robotjustin wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

JerseyCityKid08 wrote:
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
Once again - what are the proactive things we citizens can do?

Carry baseball bats!!!!!!!

0.40 cal Smith & Wesson ACP is preferred for me. Unfortunately.. this aint Vermont or Texas (or 46 other states that allow people to defend themselves)..
.. get mugged? Only thing legal in NJ is to defend yourself with harsh language.

Harsh language won't work it's not politicaly correct enough. Actually most of the Downtown new comers reek of political correctness with no backbone, sorry to say but it is time to refrain on that image you convey. Most of these mutants can pick out an out of towner especially Downtown where the money and pushovers are. These dopes wear sneakers, have all day to case the area and pick their prey. They are doing it in the obvious.

If you Jersey City originals are such scrappy bare-knuckle defenders of this great city, then why did downtown degenerate under your watch, and only become livable with the emigration of "out of towners?" Did you guys just abandon it?

im not even gonna touch this one.....

Posted on: 2010/10/20 23:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

robotjustin wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:

If you Jersey City originals are such scrappy bare-knuckle defenders of this great city, then why did downtown degenerate under your watch, and only become livable with the emigration of "out of towners?" Did you guys just abandon it?

I have nothing negative to say about the people who live in Downtown I am happy for them and to have them as fellow Jersey City neighbors. I was giving a little advice on how not to look obvious to these low lifes. It's what I noticed.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

JerseyCityKid08 wrote:
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:

0.40 cal Smith & Wesson ACP is preferred for me. Unfortunately.. this aint Vermont or Texas (or 46 other states that allow people to defend themselves)..
.. get mugged? Only thing legal in NJ is to defend yourself with harsh language.

Harsh language won't work it's not politicaly correct enough. Actually most of the Downtown new comers reek of political correctness with no backbone, sorry to say but it is time to refrain on that image you convey. Most of these mutants can pick out an out of towner especially Downtown where the money and pushovers are. These dopes wear sneakers, have all day to case the area and pick their prey. They are doing it in the obvious.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 21:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

JerseyCityKid08 wrote:
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:

Posted on: 2010/10/20 21:32

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/19 21:19
Group:
Registered Users
As long as you have those bloody housing projects close to downtown, muggings and robberies will not drop off despite downtown becoming more populated and prosperous. These scumbags don\'t have to travel far to find their victims and to retreat back quickly to their crack dens.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 21:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Remember the big fuss the Police Dept. made a few years ago when it bought all these mountain bikes for a bike patrol? I think I've seen cops patrolling downtown once on bikes in the past five years (I'm not counting the time a dozen of those bikes were parked outside the Subway sandwich shop on Grove). Did they abandon the idea of a bicycle patrol? What about all those bikes they bought?

Posted on: 2010/10/20 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Hoboken absolutely has more police presence. It makes a difference. I hate to say it, but here in Downtown JC the prices are the same as Hoboken, yet Hoboken continues to have better amenities, seemingly lower crime....and on weekends they don't have to experience a detour to get into Manhattan.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 19:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

robotjustin wrote:

These are interesting, but don't necessarily prove anything. The crime rates in Newark versus New York show, for instance, that population size doesn't proportionally increase crime rates. I'd be interested in also knowing the demographics of the perpetrators and the victims in Houston and Dallas. Is it MS-13 vs migrant worker? Black gangstar versus Hank and Bobby Hill? Ross Perot versus Ron Paul? What are the rates throughout Texas, proportional to rates in New Jersey?

Of course there are all sorts of variables that can cause fluctuations in the data, but I'm not sure the distinctions you are raising should matter. The point I was trying to make is that the blanket statement that allowing CCW somehow deters crime and, in doing, makes people safer doesn't show up in the numbers. It doesn't seem fair to compare Texas and NJ on a statewide basis since Texas has a much, much lower population density and crime increases with density. (Although the states with the highest rates of violent crime and murder in particular have CCW.)

Sure there are all sorts of possible other answers - but if you look at Chicago and Los Angeles, they too have much lower numbers than Houston and Dallas. And these are cities of several to many million people with diverse populations, each with their own aggravating circumstances.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 19:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

robotjustin wrote:
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Who are all these people who are "defending" themselves in the 46 other states? How come there aren't a dozen stories a day about thwarted robberies, muggings etc. due to the armed citizenry?

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I think the point is that the fact that the person you want to mug is probably carrying a gun acts as a deterrent.

Unlike your avatar (which, by the way, I love!), I wasn't being sarcastic. What you say seems quite sensible from a common sense perspective, if only it were true. Numbers don't seem to bear it out: 2007 Census Bureau Statistics

Total Violent Crimes (all numbers are per 100,000 people)

New York City 614
Newark 853
Houston 1,132
Dallas 1,069

Robbery
New York City 265
Newark 393
Houston 529
Dallas 583

Aggravated Assault
New York City 332
Newark 401
Houston 555
Dallas 429

Murder
New York City 6.0
Newark 37.1
Houston 16.2
Dallas 16.1

Total Property Crime

New York City 1,819
Newark 3,806
Houston 5,684
Dallas 6,776

Okay, so Newark stands out on murder (more than offset by the stark difference between NYC and Dallas/Houston.) Other than that, the numbers don't back up the claim that the option of arming citizens reduces crime.

These are interesting, but don't necessarily prove anything. The crime rates in Newark versus New York show, for instance, that population size doesn't proportionally increase crime rates. I'd be interested in also knowing the demographics of the perpetrators and the victims in Houston and Dallas. Is it MS-13 vs migrant worker? Black gangstar versus Hank and Bobby Hill? Ross Perot versus Ron Paul? What are the rates throughout Texas, proportional to rates in New Jersey?

Posted on: 2010/10/20 19:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/1 18:47
Group:
Registered Users
Speaking from experience, staying alert to what's around you is so much easier said than done, especially on your way home from work when a thousand things are flying through your mind.

I hate to say it, but from a thief's POV, it probably makes sense to go after people on their way home as they are distracted and probably have a "it can't happen to me at this time of day" attitude.

One thing that continues to shock me: I see women wearing their earbuds while walking down streets such as Mercer after dark all the time. Ladies, PLEASE TAKE THE EARBUDS OUT -- don't make yourselves easy targets!!!!

Posted on: 2010/10/20 19:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/24 2:10
Group:
Registered Users
As far as the person who thought staying alert would help-- well I was home at the time of the Mercer street incident, and if it was where alleged, it would have been impossible for me not to hear anything (if there was anything to hear, the girl may have been quiet). My windows were wide open and I can always hear regular conversations on the street. Also, the super for some of the buildings is omnipresent, which is why I am shocked that it happened there right under our noses. I agree having some police around patrolling would help. When I lived on the UES for many years in one of the safest areas right off Park ave, there were always police around, whether getting a bite at the bagel shop or meandering. Here nothing, never. Even Hoboken has substantially more police presence.

Oh and that BJ's cart was moved off the sidewalk because it is a violation (and fine) for buildings to have that trash on the sidewalk-- the super must have moved it there until it could be properly disposed of.

But I agree with getting the trash off the sidewalks, which falls to the owners of each building-- like the shards broken glass that remainded under the tree further up the block on Mercer for MONTHS, how could the owners/renters of that building not clean it up? Do they walk out of their apartment every day and think, oh there's the broken glass, still there?

Posted on: 2010/10/20 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

robotjustin wrote:
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Who are all these people who are "defending" themselves in the 46 other states? How come there aren't a dozen stories a day about thwarted robberies, muggings etc. due to the armed citizenry?

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I think the point is that the fact that the person you want to mug is probably carrying a gun acts as a deterrent.

Unlike your avatar (which, by the way, I love!), I wasn't being sarcastic. What you say seems quite sensible from a common sense perspective, if only it were true. Numbers don't seem to bear it out: 2007 Census Bureau Statistics

Total Violent Crimes (all numbers are per 100,000 people)

New York City 614
Newark 853
Houston 1,132
Dallas 1,069

Robbery
New York City 265
Newark 393
Houston 529
Dallas 583

Aggravated Assault
New York City 332
Newark 401
Houston 555
Dallas 429

Murder
New York City 6.0
Newark 37.1
Houston 16.2
Dallas 16.1

Total Property Crime

New York City 1,819
Newark 3,806
Houston 5,684
Dallas 6,776

Okay, so Newark stands out on murder (more than offset by the stark difference between NYC and Dallas/Houston.) Other than that, the numbers don't back up the claim that the option of arming citizens reduces crime.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
I think this is a perfect opportunity for Fulop to rise to the occasion and show that he can "deliver change we can see" for his district. You want to win the next election, prove to people that you can clean up the quality of life issues in downtown.

In other words, brow beat the police department to get an officer or two out on the downtown beat. I've never felt like there is much police presence downtown.

The city is all to happy to collect ridiculous property taxes off those buying rowhouses and non-abated condos and give them very little service in return.

Furthermore, I walked that block this morning and it appears there is a BJs shopping cart abandoned/collecting trash on the north side of Mercer by the old firehouse. Note to city - get rid of that thing.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Hrmph wrote:
Crime in the area is an important issue and I think we can all agree that we would prefer to live in a community where carrying a concealed weapon is not necessary, regardless of your stance on the issue of gun ownership. We all can agree also that crime in Jersey City is on the uptick. Besides the economy, why is this? What should be done? I like JC but I will not stay here and have a family if this is a continuing trend. For one, I think we need to get our police out from behind desks and on the streets, and increase their numbers.

Basically, let's get back on topic.

I agree.

Here's an idea - maybe we can leave out bags of doughnuts or lines of coke on our stoops - so that while the boys in blue are grazing they might stop a crime once in awhile.

Also, neighborhood watch. Open your windows, turn on your lights. The street is the community, the public square. Own it.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 16:20

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/2 13:12
Group:
Registered Users
Oh, it's not new? Then nevermind. I am no longer outraged.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 16:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/2 23:19
Group:
Registered Users
is there an uptick of crime of late? does anyone have access to the statistics?

i know that a friend was mugged/held up on montgomery between grove and barrow by someone with a hand gun in 2008; in 2007, i believe, another friend was viciously assaulted on the corner of york and varick; at the end of 2008, a series of home break-ins in the vvp area occurred. these are incidents i have direct knowledge of, and i'm certain there are many more that have been reported in various places.

this is to say, random and sporadic violence/crime is nothing new to the downtown area.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 16:16

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/2 13:12
Group:
Registered Users
Crime in the area is an important issue and I think we can all agree that we would prefer to live in a community where carrying a concealed weapon is not necessary, regardless of your stance on the issue of gun ownership. We all can agree also that crime in Jersey City is on the uptick. Besides the economy, why is this? What should be done? I like JC but I will not stay here and have a family if this is a continuing trend. For one, I think we need to get our police out from behind desks and on the streets, and increase their numbers.

Basically, let's get back on topic.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 16:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe this can help. I don't know if I bought mace or pepper spray - whatever is legal in the state of NJ, I bought. But it's worth being familiar with how to use it.

Effective Use of Pepper Spray

What is the most effective use of my pepper spray? One of the keys to effective use of pepper spray is timing and recognizing a potential threat and knowing when it becomes an assault! Exactly when you bring a pepper spray to bear on an assailant can be critical to the outcome of a situation. First you have to make sure the pepper spray is readily available and, second, through practice you can bring it to bear on the assailant quickly and accurately.

Timing Your Pepper Spray is So Important

Is timing important when using pepper spray? There?s much more to using pepper spray than point and shoot! Remember, don?t raise, point, and shoot the spray until you?re ready to fire. Wait until the assailant is in range and you know the spray will hit him full in the face area and incapacitate him! The objective is to surprise him or her before they can have a chance to react or think.

How to Spray Your Pepper Canister

Exactly how do I spray my pepper spray? If you have to use your pepper spray make sure you have distance between you and the threat if at all possible. Aim the spray at the eyes and facial region of the threat then release a 1 to 2 second burst of spray. After you have done this MOVE out of the way but keep your eyes on the threat. Pepper spray ingredients can take a couple of moments to cause a reaction and by watching the reactions of the threat you will be able to determine if you will require another shot of pepper spray.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:

Posted on: 2010/10/20 15:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/10/20 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Boiled_Mussels wrote:
Quote:

Here_in_JC wrote:
Quote:
You should move to Texas right now. Please don't waste any time doing it.

I don't understand. You think that people shouldn't be able to defend themselves against thugs who are out to do us all harm?

Oh right---you're part of that group that believes only criminals should have guns. Makes sense.

No. I think everyone should have guns. As a matter of fact, everyone should have uzi's and play tag with them in the park. We need citizens, thieves, and everyone else firing away at each other. That'll teach em!

Not that I am a fan of guns, but bullshit:

http://hnn.us/articles/871.html

Posted on: 2010/10/20 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I bought pepper spray for my wife. It was at the local pistol range. If someone is pointing a knife at her I want her just to give up her purse, but she insists she'd give the purse, pepper spray (for safety if they were to do anything else to her) and run like hell - thoughts on the best way? (I also hate to think we have muggers taking notes on this site, lol).

Posted on: 2010/10/20 15:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
6:30. This is ridiculous. That's one of the safest areas in town. This just doesn't happen in Hoboken, right off a main drag, at 6:30 PM with tons of commuter foot traffic.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 15:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/23 9:07
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Here_in_JC wrote:
Quote:
You should move to Texas right now. Please don't waste any time doing it.

I don't understand. You think that people shouldn't be able to defend themselves against thugs who are out to do us all harm?

Oh right---you're part of that group that believes only criminals should have guns. Makes sense.

No. I think everyone should have guns. As a matter of fact, everyone should have uzi's and play tag with them in the park. We need citizens, thieves, and everyone else firing away at each other. That'll teach em!

Posted on: 2010/10/20 14:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/13 23:43
Group:
Registered Users
There was a similar incident at 8:20 on Erie Street last night. Perhaps it was the same individual(s)? Stay safe, keep your eyes open, and call in any suspicious activity.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 14:33

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017