Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
151 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 151

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Staten Island vs. Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Quote:
Wow, Xerxes are you finally saying there is an upside to moving to Jersey City?
\

Yep, and that upside is, as always, MONEY. Manhattan, and by extension New York City, IS VERY expensive.

But that takes care of the upsides.
Well, JC gets a couple points for peace and quiet on the Waterfront.

Posted on: 2010/2/27 16:02

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/3 18:55
Group:
Registered Users
I think Brooklyn would be your best bet. Southwestern part probably (Bensonhurst, Bay Ridge, Sunset Park area. That way, you are close to the Belt to head into LI and take the Verazzano to Outerbridge into Somerset. I did the Bklyn to Somerset...it's a bit less than 1 hour drive. With the EZPass commuter plan, your Somerset trip will be around $13-$14/daily. LI has their own taxes in Nassau or Suffolk, plus it's really inconvenient if you wanna go into the city.

Good luck on your decision.

Posted on: 2010/2/27 15:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/18 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kribopple wrote:
@ SwitchboardGirl - good restaurants: cargo cafe (which has an un-staten island feel to it), adobe blues (another un-si feel), bayou, royal crown bakery (best italian sandwiches ever, although i am biased since i used to work there), and brioso (italian food)

Thanks, I go to Snug Harbor a lot so this is good information to have when hunger kicks in! I must try that royal crown bakery. I also remember a really good and popular pizza restaurant near Morningstar Road area but can't remember what it was called...

Posted on: 2010/2/25 18:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I've been aware of the NYC tax, but I wasn't sure how much. Maybe I should quit my job and get a new one in Long Island. Before my boss realizes what I'm typing here, I'd better stop!

Atsushi

Posted on: 2010/2/25 18:26

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/14 1:55
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I have been proposing for a while now for New York City to sell Staten Island to New Jersey in exchange for Hudson County...makes sense in proximity to Manhattan, no?...but Hudson County obviously values higher...Staten Island?...well, it's more New Jersey than Jersey City, that is why I always end up there traveling within New Jersey and make wrong turn-The freaking turnpike and the parkway takes you there...now tell me that's not New Jersey?...Jersey City always had a relationship with Manhattan...for dumping bodies, that is.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, Xerxes are you finally saying there is an upside to moving to Jersey City?

Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
Remember Atsushi,
IF you move to either Manhattan or Staten Island, both of you will have to subract about 3.5% of your income for New York City Personal Income tax and you will have the added burden of paying New York State income tax on your New Jersey earnings...and they are high rates.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Remember Atsushi,
IF you move to either Manhattan or Staten Island, both of you will have to subract about 3.5% of your income for New York City Personal Income tax and you will have the added burden of paying New York State income tax on your New Jersey earnings...and they are high rates.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks everyone for your insights! We will probably consider Brooklyn from which my direction of commute isn't so bad. She will take Belt Parkway and Cross Island Parkway to Great Neck. This is still bad, I'm sure, but she has an option of flex time, like working between 7 and 4.

We will also consider Manhattan. We won't settle there, of course but for a year or two, it may be an interesting experience (neither of us has done that when we were younger).

Thanks again!

Atsushi

Posted on: 2010/2/24 21:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
I was born and raised in Staten Island - I'm a native NYC boy! I find these comparisons very silly really. I love JC & I love SI. I will say that I like my home in JC more right now because I work in the city - I take a quick walk through the mall to the Path and I find that I'm door to door in 25 minutes. Nowe if I lived on SI I'd have a longer commute on the ferry and trains. All of my cousins and Aunts and Uncles are still on SI - all have very nice homes in nice neighborhoods. One good thing about living in SI ( which is NYC) is that my relatives pay about a third in yearly real estate tax. Jersey is horrid with real estate taxes - still don't know where all that money goes. But I love my new loft and living here in JC.

Posted on: 2010/2/24 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/16 15:40
From Village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SwitchboardGirl wrote:
Considering that SI is so close to Jersey City, I'm always wondering about good restaurants/shops/towns in S.I. to discover. Does anyone have any rec's?

Beer and hot dogs at a SI Yankees baseball game. The stadium is right on the water and you get a great view of Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty. When we lived in Brooklyn, we'd occasionally go to Cyclones games in Coney Island and this is almost as much fun.

I'm not saying the baseball compares to a major league game, but sometimes you want a lower commitment (cheaper, games are usually shorter, particularly great for bringing kids). It's just a really relaxed, casual way to enjoy a game - almost feels like you're in someone's hometown instead of the big city.

Posted on: 2010/2/24 21:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/9 16:42
Group:
Registered Users
@ SwitchboardGirl - good restaurants: cargo cafe (which has an un-staten island feel to it), adobe blues (another un-si feel), bayou, royal crown bakery (best italian sandwiches ever, although i am biased since i used to work there), and brioso (italian food)

Posted on: 2010/2/24 18:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

susiederkins wrote:
Quote:

Well, if you read my post you'll see that I said I like SI.

I know. But usually when someone describes one place as "progressive and diverse" and another as "white and conservative," they're lauding the former and criticizing the latter.

Funny I was thinking the reverse, and yes "thinking".

Posted on: 2010/2/24 18:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/18 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Considering that SI is so close to Jersey City, I'm always wondering about good restaurants/shops/towns in S.I. to discover. Does anyone have any rec's?

Posted on: 2010/2/24 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

susiederkins wrote:
Quote:

I know. But usually when someone describes one place as "progressive and diverse" and another as "white and conservative," they're lauding the former and criticizing the latter.

Just in the sense of the immediate NYC area...where diversity and a progressive culture are the norm.

Posted on: 2010/2/24 15:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/8 18:51
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
If you both plan to drive to work, then Staten Island is tolerable, if dull. In fact the drive from SI to Somerset is a breeze. But if either of you needs public transportation to get to work then the SI plan is beyond awful.

Girlfriend's drive through Brooklyn and Queens at rush hour to Long Island is going to be tough sledding if not suicidal.

Have you considered Hoboken or Newport with more public transportation options for you both. Or Manhattan if you can afford it.

But all options with those commutes are bad...only degrees of bad can be considered. How about considering moving to the city that has the most stable job...then only one of you will need regular suicide counselling.

We're in agreement! I think we said the same thing in a few different ways. Only one addition: you can both live at Grove or Journal as well. The 33rd Street PATH extends a little further than Newport, and gives you a few more housing, transport options outside of commuting.

Posted on: 2010/2/24 15:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/16 15:40
From Village
Group:
Registered Users
I agree that SI isn't going to give either of you a good enough commute to work as a compromise. And you'll definitely be sacrificing easy access to Manhattan, which sounds important to you.

For me, the best compromise would be JC (near Grove PATH) or Hoboken. That way, you could drive to Somerset and your gf could take the PATH to Penn Station and then the LIRR. (If her office is far from the Great Neck station, she could likely find a coworker to carpool with.) Each of you will still have a 45-60 minute commute but neither will be awful.

I think @Xerxes suggestion to consider which job is more long-term/stable is also a good one. If one of you is likely to be changing jobs in the next year or 2, then it doesn't make sense to prioritize that commute. (So, if your gf has the better job, move to Brooklyn. If yours is the keeper, pick NJ.)

Good luck!

Posted on: 2010/2/24 15:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
If you both plan to drive to work, then Staten Island is tolerable, if dull. In fact the drive from SI to Somerset is a breeze. But if either of you needs public transportation to get to work then the SI plan is beyond awful.

Girlfriend's drive through Brooklyn and Queens at rush hour to Long Island is going to be tough sledding if not suicidal.

Have you considered Hoboken or Newport with more public transportation options for you both. Or Manhattan if you can afford it.

But all options with those commutes are bad...only degrees of bad can be considered. How about considering moving to the city that has the most stable job...then only one of you will need regular suicide counselling.

Posted on: 2010/2/24 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/28 13:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2010/2/24 13:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

susiederkins wrote:
Quote:
Jersey City = diverse and progressive, SI = mostly white and more conservative.

Oh, so you mean it's cleaner and safer?

Yeah, sounds awful.

Posted on: 2010/2/24 13:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/28 13:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Oh, so you mean it's cleaner and safer?

Yeah, sounds awful.

Posted on: 2010/2/24 12:15

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/24 2:56
Group:
Registered Users
If your thinking of moving to Staten Isalnd primarily for commute...think again. I was born and raised on Staten ?Italy?, and moved to JC about 6 months ago. The main reason for my move was the proximity to Manhattan and my job there. My commute from the North Shore to Midtown Manhattan (by express bus, which cost me $11 a day!!) ranged from 1hr-1.5hrs each way!
Anyway, as another person posted, I have to agree that you MUST have a car there. It is in no way a walking town. Your commute in and out of Staten Island during rush hour will be hell and a 40 minute commute could easily turn into a 2 hour nightmare--no matter where you are going. The SI express way is almost ALWAYS congested.

On the good side, there are great, private, safe and quiet neighborhoods, with decent schools (not sure if you said you are looking to buy there, but buying a home, even a town home in any of these decent neighborhoods [such as Great Kills, Tottenville, Dongan Hills etc..] start in the 400?s range?and you won?t be getting much of a backyard [if you can even call it a backyard]).

The 1 mall is OK at best, but you will find a lot of outdoor shopping (plazas, commons). You will never not find a supermarket, corner deli, nail (and can?t forget tanning) salon.

Renting in the north shore is very affordable, and you can easily find a 1 bedroom apartment for under $1000/month, utilities included! Keep in mind that there are not many apartment buildings, and when I say apartment I mean, for example, renting out a floor of a two family house.
As a woman in my 20?s I could tell you there is NO night life, which is another reason why I left the Island. The few bars are frequented by trash?take my word. You are likely to witness a bar fight nightly. I would constantly travel into Manhattan just to find something to do.
But, there are tons of restaurants (got to love the abundance of Italian restaurants) and you can find really cheap and yummy Sushi (one of the few reason why I go back to visit).
I do agree with another poster who said that the parks are nice, I agree Snug harbor and Clove Lakes are worth visits.

Overall its not a bad idea to live on Staten Island if you are looking to start a family. I know I will one day consider going back there, when its time to settle down.

Posted on: 2010/2/24 2:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Jersey City = urban, Staten Island = suburban.
Jersey City commute to Manhattan = awesome, SI commute to manhattan = awful.

Those are the main differences. That being said, if you'd like to get a glimpse of Staten Island, walk down Marin Blvd to Sandbar

Staten Island is OK but it's sort of against the grain of NYC culture. People that live there tend to work there and socialize there, not in Manhattan. I do have a soft spot for Staten Island ... have some family there...and you can get some of the best Italian food around. It's also the safest borough, crime-wise, and the wealthiest of the 4 outer boroughs.

They call it Italian Island it's where the old Brooklyn transplants go

Posted on: 2010/2/24 0:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Staten Island: Bloomberg.

Jersey City: Healy.

Choose.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 23:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/21 15:22
Group:
Registered Users
I live in Journal Square but grew up in Staten Island and stayed there until after college. My parents and most of my family are still there.

Staten Island does not have much going on but since my family is there the lack of nightlife really doesnt impact me.

You definetly need a car if you want to live there since there is ONE train that goes from one side to the other. Public transportation takes forever. I lived on the south shore and the north shore and both have their pros / cons.

North shore is close to the ferry and your commute to midtown would be approx. 1 hour. From the south shore that same commute would be 2 hours. There are public buses and express buses but they are very expensive.

North shore is more urban while south shore is more suburban.

The ferry is reliable but on nights and weekend they only run once an hour which is a massive pain. (esp. if you miss it)

They have a mall, houses and your selection of chain restaurants - very suburban, nice and peaceful in most parts. Jersey city is very different but I love the convenience to everything.

Rentals in Staten island, esp in the south shore seem to be more affordable than NJ, taxes are quite low, they have great schools but you are also isolated from the rest of the city.

PM me if you want more information.

Hope that helps.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 22:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City has a nice concentraion of japanese resturants taht you just don't find in Staten Island.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 20:48

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/9 16:42
Group:
Registered Users
i have a strong love/hate relationship with si but that's ok because i'm from there and i'm not afraid to admit it. you can all say whatever you want.

atushi - please check your PM.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 20:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, guys for very useful piece of information!

Atsushi

Posted on: 2010/2/23 20:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/8 18:51
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Great Neck and Somerset! I don?t envy you two. Midpoints don?t really work in your situation. One of you will be making a ?rush hour? commute. One will be making a ?reverse? commute. SI to Somerset will take your about 40 mins. SI to Great Neck will take your 40 mins in the middle of the night (but about 2 hrs between 6am and 10am). You should consider moving somewhere more transit accessible where she has access to the Port Washington Branch of the LIRR. Jersey City can give you the PATH to 33rd Street (a block from Penn), Newark has direct links to Penn etc.

I like Staten Island, but I agree with previous posters. It?s suburban, insolated, and the toll is oppressive.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
I have wondered all around SI quite a bit hopefully some of what i have noted will help.

There are some absolutely spectacular neighborhoods and some not so great neighborhoods, it is a real mixed bag. What I found appealing was all the shoreline, much of it is industrial with little access but there some places around the island and even ?beaches? on the south eastern flank from tottenville all the way to under the verizanno. If watching ships go by is cool for you there is a glut of that. Ships surround the island with the only entry to the Newark/Elizabeth waterfront ports going right by staten island and all ocean going traffic coming in either under the verizanno or up the kill/kull. There is a lot of old industry and pollution from it being a veritable dump in some places. I found the traffic on the SI expressway to be just terrible. Busses from the St George ferry going cross island seem to take forever, I think most drive, take express busses from manhattan (actually pretty quick if traffic isnt bad), or maybe live along the SIRT. Some of the neighborhoods are extremely nice, well kept and beautiful. There is a lot more suburban living than here and it seems like a lot of parks (check out snug harbor even if you don?t move). All in all from my experience it really depends on where in SI you go.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 20:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City = urban, Staten Island = suburban.
Jersey City commute to Manhattan = awesome, SI commute to manhattan = awful.

Those are the main differences. That being said, if you'd like to get a glimpse of Staten Island, walk down Marin Blvd to Sandbar

Staten Island is OK but it's sort of against the grain of NYC culture. People that live there tend to work there and socialize there, not in Manhattan. I do have a soft spot for Staten Island ... have some family there...and you can get some of the best Italian food around. It's also the safest borough, crime-wise, and the wealthiest of the 4 outer boroughs.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 18:45

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017