Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
127 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: 340 Fairmount Ave
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/4 19:36
From McGinley Square / Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

itgirl wrote:
I live a block away from the building you're looking at, and I find on this board that plenty of people who don't live here, or even nearby, have an awful lot to say.

Smartest statement in this entire thread.

Posted on: 2009/12/14 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

IronicSupplement wrote:
Have you looked in the "island" section (ie: the area around Elizabeth and Magnolia streets). It seems pretty safe, is close to the JSQ PATH, and you can still walk to downtown restaurants if the weather's good.

An interesting area for sure, but I don't think there's much in the way of pre-war condos there. If you're looking for a 1960s house, by all means.

Posted on: 2009/12/14 19:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
You might feel as though you are living in Manhattan up on Fairmount with all the hustle and bustle.

Another ridiculous statement. Have you ever been to Fairmont Ave? Have you ever been to Manhattan?

Posted on: 2009/12/14 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wibbit wrote:
Quote:

1djcview wrote:
Gross, chicken bones, you mean like on Newark Avenue downtown?

yeah sort of but worse, the main difference is safety though, newark ave overall is considerably safer.

Do you have crime stats for both areas to back this up? I'm not sure I buy it. The closest corner to the building being discussed is Kennedy and Fairmont, one block from the St. Peter's campus. It's pretty safe.

Posted on: 2009/12/14 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bunny22 wrote:
I live in the heights, right near Riverview Fiske park and that area of Ogden is wonderful with a community garden etc....However, the further south you go, starting as close as Franklin Street, the more sketchy it becomes. Having lived in Hoboken, I'm sure you've used the light rail elevator. If not, you'd be amazed how easy and safe it is to walk down to Hoboken from Ogden and Congress. It' packed with people and takes about 5 minutes to get to some cute uptown Hoboken restaurants.

The section of the Heights is a warm enviroment with local businesses abound. You might feel as though you are living in Manhattan up on Fairmount with all the hustle and bustle. I can only speak for the Heights section for that is where I live and know most of the vibe on both sides of Kennedy and Central.
Traveling south isn't as sketchy as you would think. The neighbors on that end are great people they attend their block association meeting loyally every month and are adamant when doing so. RNA Riverview Neighborhood Association is the local block association in that area. This is a good way to compare both areas you are looking into buying.
RNA- Riverview Neighborhood Association
Contact Person: Becky Hoffman, Chairperson
Mailing Address: 154 Ogden Avenue, Jersey City, NY 07307
Contact Phone number: (201) 876-1980
E-mail Address: riverviewneighborhood@comcast.net
Meeting Place and Time: Harbor View Health Care Center,
1st Floor Cafeteria; 7:30 every second Tuesday of the month.
Annual Membership Fee: $10
Geographic Range for Membership: Ogden and Palisade Avenues from Congress Street to Cuneo Place

Posted on: 2009/12/14 18:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/3 21:06
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Moxie,

I live a block away from the building you're looking at, and I find on this board that plenty of people who don't live here, or even nearby, have an awful lot to say.

I've been here for two years and I can't say the area has changed in terms of services, but the composition of the neighborhood had definitely gotten a bit more diverse, with a lot of young professionals seeming to like the place. It is a very convenient area for many things--lots of stores and transportation around. There are not a lot of places to hang out nearby, but I suspect that will change in the future, and it's a quick bus ride downtown if you really want Starbucks instead of Dunkin Donuts coffee.

I am a single woman, and while I don't go strolling around at late hours in the neighborhood, I don't feel anxious coming in late. There are cabs that run from JSQ, local buses and there is a bus that runs from Port Authority that stops on my corner, a block away from you.

I think Fairmount is a nice block with the exception of that building close to the corner where everyone seems to hang out on the steps. I have seen the building you refer to, and it seems like a well tended spot.

If you are shaky about Fairmount, I live on Duncan, which is a very nice relatively quiet block and there are a couple of condos available in my building, including a very pretty, large two bedroom for $219,000. PM me if you are interested.

Posted on: 2009/12/14 18:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/22 17:15
Group:
Registered Users
I live in the heights, right near Riverview Fiske park and that area of Ogden is wonderful with a community garden etc....However, the further south you go, starting as close as Franklin Street, the more sketchy it becomes. Having lived in Hoboken, I'm sure you've used the light rail elevator. If not, you'd be amazed how easy and safe it is to walk down to Hoboken from Ogden and Congress. It' packed with people and takes about 5 minutes to get to some cute uptown Hoboken restaurants.

Posted on: 2009/12/14 17:51

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/26 22:17
Group:
Registered Users
Have you looked in the "island" section (ie: the area around Elizabeth and Magnolia streets). It seems pretty safe, is close to the JSQ PATH, and you can still walk to downtown restaurants if the weather's good.

Posted on: 2009/12/13 20:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
Quote:

moxiebaby wrote:
Thanks everyone for your input. As I posted in a thread about JC Heights, we're at an impasse in terms of what to do b/c I want to buy in JSQ and my fiance wants the Heights. In fact we saw a promising place on Ogden, which he's sold on, but I'm in love with 340 Fairmount. Both neighborhoods are very different and various bribes on each side (him to me: "I'll drive you to the PATH every morning if we live in the Heights" me to him: "we can get a cat if we live on Fairmount") are only complicating matters.

In short what I've concluded is that while Fairmount is walking distance to everything, it can be sketchy to get home at certain times. While Heights is quiet and safe, it's not the most convenient for commuting to NYC and not great selection of shops/restaurants just outside your door.

Points of reference: I lived in Hoboken for nearly 20 years. now we rent in Hamilton Park but cannot afford to buy in that area. Prior to us meeting my fiance lived in Newark for 8 years.

i think you will experience quite a shock moving from hamilton park to that area, especially if you never even lived in jsq. What's your budget exactly? there are quite a few well priced units in HP, i still get emails about new units coming onto the market.

also did you look at the area north of jsq path, there are a quite few high rise condos there, and that area is also better than the montegmory/jfk intersection, not to mention closer to path.

Posted on: 2009/12/13 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

1djcview wrote:

yeah sort of but worse, the main difference is safety though, newark ave overall is considerably safer.

Posted on: 2009/12/13 18:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks everyone for your input. As I posted in a thread about JC Heights, we're at an impasse in terms of what to do b/c I want to buy in JSQ and my fiance wants the Heights. In fact we saw a promising place on Ogden, which he's sold on, but I'm in love with 340 Fairmount. Both neighborhoods are very different and various bribes on each side (him to me: "I'll drive you to the PATH every morning if we live in the Heights" me to him: "we can get a cat if we live on Fairmount") are only complicating matters.

In short what I've concluded is that while Fairmount is walking distance to everything, it can be sketchy to get home at certain times. While Heights is quiet and safe, it's not the most convenient for commuting to NYC and not great selection of shops/restaurants just outside your door.

Points of reference: I lived in Hoboken for nearly 20 years. now we rent in Hamilton Park but cannot afford to buy in that area. Prior to us meeting my fiance lived in Newark for 8 years.

Posted on: 2009/12/13 17:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/14 17:57
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/12/13 5:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
i drive by there all the time, the area is ghetto. You got chicken bones and garbage everywhere, and shady looking individuals hanging around.

Posted on: 2009/12/13 5:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/30 0:28
From Belmont Ave.
Group:
Registered Users
I live a few blocks away, on Belmont between Kennedy and Bergen and I'll reiterate what a lot of people are saying....the neighborhood has it's good and bad, but overall it's just fine. I avoid Bergen Ave., especially at night, but parking is usually no problem and I've found the neighbors to be very friendly. I used to live downtown too, but I'm quite happy here!

Posted on: 2009/12/13 3:56

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/10 17:29
Group:
Banned
jersey city is a weird place... you have really nice streets with nice homes and working class people and then you cross kennedy or communipaw or bergen and all of a sudden you are in the hood. I was driving to LSP and some of these brownstones could be incredible but...

Posted on: 2009/12/13 3:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

regulator wrote:
if it's the same one im thinking of, my best friend and his family have lived there for years (i'd say at least 20). they rented as far as i know, but i think i remember his mom mentioning that they were trying to convert them to condos.

the apt is ridiculously large. it reminds me of something like the apt in friends for some reason, lol. theyve got a foyer, kitchen, 2 living rooms, 2 oversized bedrooms and a bathroom.

the neighborhood is decent enough except at night. as of a few years ago, they were hesitant to walk around in the area (and this coming from a family whos lived there most of their lives). im sure the area has gotten better, although bergen ave (a block away) at night isnt the place to be.

The area hasnt gotten worse but it sure as hell has not gotten any better.

Posted on: 2009/12/13 2:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
if it's the same one im thinking of, my best friend and his family have lived there for years (i'd say at least 20). they rented as far as i know, but i think i remember his mom mentioning that they were trying to convert them to condos.

the apt is ridiculously large. it reminds me of something like the apt in friends for some reason, lol. theyve got a foyer, kitchen, 2 living rooms, 2 oversized bedrooms and a bathroom.

the neighborhood is decent enough except at night. as of a few years ago, they were hesitant to walk around in the area (and this coming from a family whos lived there most of their lives). im sure the area has gotten better, although bergen ave (a block away) at night isnt the place to be.

Posted on: 2009/12/13 2:46

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/29 20:47
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with Zeit101... The area has definitely gotten better. There's hardly any thugs hanging out, (a little) less rubbish on the street and less dog cigars too hehe.

I also hear 340 is one of the best maintained buildings on the block.

Posted on: 2009/12/11 22:36

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/10 17:29
Group:
Banned
I have lived in this area for about two years and in those two years it has gotten a lot better. Some of the homes and apt buildings are beautiful. I did get broken into, but that was my fault because I left the window open. Weirdest thing I have seen is some guy jacking off on the sidewalk in broad daylight but you can see that anywhere; never saw him again after that day. One thing to look out for are buildings owned by slumlords. They rent it cheap or the residents get Section Eight. The slumlords don't maintain the buildings and the tenants are not much better. I don't mean to paint with a broad brush but the only ones that you will notice are degenerates. But it is up and coming in my opinion.

Posted on: 2009/12/11 21:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 23:23
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
I think going from Bergen to Westside has potential.
The area around St. Peter's College and St. Dom's H.S. has old apartment buildings dating back decades including the Frank Hague building. These buildings have been converted into condos, not many people passing by realize this but it's an up and coming section of J.C. just outside of JSQ. Also around Lincoln Park things are turning around as well.

Shhhhh you're giving away too much.

Posted on: 2009/12/11 14:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I think going from Bergen to Westside has potential.
The area around St. Peter's College and St. Dom's H.S. has old apartment buildings dating back decades including the Frank Hague building. These buildings have been converted into condos, not many people passing by realize this but it's an up and coming section of J.C. just outside of JSQ. Also around Lincoln Park things are turning around as well.

Posted on: 2009/12/10 18:13

340 Fairmount Ave
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone have any experiences to share about life in this bldg or on this street (Fairmount btw Bergen + Kennedy). Looked at a nice condo there last night. I picked up a very homey vibe in this bldg and it was immaculately clean and somewhat artistic. Would like to hear from people with experiences there. thanks.

Posted on: 2009/12/10 18:04

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017