Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
162 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 162

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Fulop says he wants to be mayor, not an at-large council member
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:
The only thing machines do is ensure the kind of change you are looking for never happens.

Great line T-Bird' nothing could be truer!

Posted on: 2009/9/19 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
You should continue to question. Question a lot. Fulop fan or not... and trust me, I have been attacked on several occassions by zealous Fulop fans for appearing to be anti-fulop... it was not pleasant!

The idea is definitely to constantly question. I'm just really glad that you brought up the many concerns I have had over the years. Your heart is with your City and your ward where it should be. That's awesome.

Hitting a wall at every turn in the City at a point means that you need to move into a position for more change.

If Fulop is successful in a run for mayor then I will continue to be one of his biggest critics. I think this is just as important to him as it is to us to constantly question, but the difference here for me is that when I see me and others question Steven Fulop, those questions are warmly greeted and they are also answered. I have written to City Council members but never got replies. Only Councilman Lipski actually started responding to me seeing that I wasn't attacking him and that the community needed to work hand in hand to improve the City.

I think it is important to constantly push for better policy and better policy implementation. I'm very tired of a dysfunctional city.

Sorry, I will stop ranting... it is just so frustrating at times, especially when you know there are so many caring and capable workers in the City that simply have their hands tied by politics.

Please continue to ask questions on this site. I think we all need to think about these questions and I do get where you are coming from. It is just easier to figure these things out together.

Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
thanks althea! you are closer to this than most so i appreciate your perspective. i remain a fulop fan but i will continue to ask questions -- just probably not on this site.

as for the local gov't 101, i understand how it works, but thanks to many of you who wanted to clarify it. i gets it.

and BM, back atcha.

Posted on: 2009/9/19 13:10
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
thanks althea! you are closer to this than most so i appreciate your perspective. i remain a fulop fan but i will continue to ask questions -- just probably not on this site.

as for the local gov't 101, i understand how it works, but thanks to many of you who wanted to clarify it. i gets it.

and BM, back atcha.

Posted on: 2009/9/19 12:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:

ME: Nope because up until like 3 hours ago I trusted the system. Yah, i know. But this news of Fulop having his eye on a bigger prize suddenly struck me as something to react to. I should have seen it coming, I guess I did, but the reality of it just hit me. Here's hoping he doesn't abandon the job he has now while he still has it.

I also want to address this too because I think it is super, super important. This bothers me deeply as well because when you have someone who is successful and they look to climb the ladder I think you start to see that ladder climb right out of Jersey City.

At one point there was rumor that Steven Fulop was being offered Albio Sires position, a U.S. Congress position. Don't you just love the use of "offered" as if it were something owned to be given, not an elected position? So I called him up, barely knowing him at the time, and just went off at the idea of finding someone really accessible and supportive to work with in the community and the minute he is offered something higher he is going to jump ship. He took my frustration well and assured me that while honored by this his heart is in Jersey City.

The that show The Wire came out where the Councilman character sets his sights on becoming mayor and not even a day into stepping up into office he has his eyes on a gubernatorial race. I think from that point on all the decisions were made on how to get to that position in order to help the City of Baltimore once he became governor rather than making decisions that were best for Baltimore while he was mayor.

This really upset me.

While of course I am pro-Fulop as many will point out, I chose to work closely with him for many reasons. Being a Yes person was not one of them. Very important to me is supporting someone who does not lose sight of the here and now and the job they were elected to do no matter what. This is something I am very proud of Steve for never losing track of and even during his re-election campaign he was very adamant that constituents always receive the same kind of high quality service they deserve. His heart is in Jersey City. It is not anywhere else. And it is not just in Ward E where he works every day of the week for the residents. He cares for all the wards and see them as inter-connected.

As a community leader and resident of Ward C where I don't even feel I have fair representation, I want to have a Mayor that does not say s/he will not raise taxes for the rest of the year knowing there is only 1 month left in the fiscal year and then raise taxes 11.25% right after. I want a Mayor I feel is approachable and is willing to do what is best for the City because he isn't burdened by political favors and wheeling and dealings to be in his position. I want a full time mayor who is just about Jersey City.

I hope with Pay-to-Play reform there will be many more viable candidates out there. I really do. Both running for mayor and Council.

So I think I share your concern about us (Jersey City) just being used as a stepping stone or as a political move that might not be in the best interest of the City.

I do not believe this to at all be the case with Councilman Fulop.

Posted on: 2009/9/19 12:11
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jenny -

I want to address this directly because I know, love, and respect you.

The Council has some authority, but that authority is mostly legislative. The separation of powers is quite clear. Only the mayor has the ability to bring about the change in the Police Department.

While I am a little bit stunned at how much of an impact Fulop has had in many areas a lot of this was brought about by media and public attention, "grandstanding" as some may call it. You know me and you have seen what Steve has been able to accomplish as a Council person. Ask the people on Wayne Street that live across from the park how hard Steve tried (and when I was with his office I tried).

So you say why settle for less, but you want a very capable person to stay in a position where he has no direct authority to get that change. Why? Don't settle for less is true, put the person that you think will change things should be put directly in charge of these things that you say need to be changed.

The whole City needs these changes, not just downtown because they are all inter-connected. A desk heavy police force means less police officers on the street everywhere in the City, including the Park on Wayne Street.

We need an administrator for the City that cares and can make these changes. I think you really need to look at how City government functions and how the branches work. A council person is not a mini mayor of a ward, they are one vote of a legislative group and the ordinances that are passed are very clearly illegal if they try to interfere with the administrative powers of the Mayor.

I can always explain this to you in person, but I can also put you in contact with the family that lives across the Wayne Street park who Steve has worked with for years to try and resolve this issue... I think they will feel very differently than you. I think they will be asking for change at the top where it matters the most so that there aren't bloody brawls on their front steps in front of their children every time a wave of drug dealers are released from jail.

Althea

Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Quote:

AmyJCNJ wrote:
As for downtown dealing with it's own issues... if he gets elected there will be a lot of shake up in city hall and chance for new "clean" candidates to fill open positions. Change does begin at home and it has to come from all of us, not just one city council rep chasing down all the different administrative offices. I've been in Jersey City for 13 years now and I know it can be really discouraging to deal with the city sometimes. When Steve showed I up I became more inspired and hopeful for our future. He's the only person I know that follows up with personal emails. Have you ever received a personal email from Healy or any of his people? So let's can the smack talk and try to focus on what we can all do to help clean up our own streets and help our government help us.

Assuming you were responding to me:

1. I wasn't talking smack, so relax.

2. I don't disagree with you overall but i don't think that just riding on the hope and dream of change is enough. I'd like to continue to see progress made in Fulop's current ward. That's just me, but I do have a vote. And I want to be able to vote for someone I believe in, not just a less-sucky-option than the current administration.

3. I don't think the literal and figurative "cleaning up" are mutually exclusive.

4. I still think it's woefully ironic that there was a shooting just 4 blocks away from Fulop's fundraiser.

5. Stop settling for so little.

Posted on: 2009/9/19 11:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
jennymayla wrote: [...] 4. I still think it's woefully ironic that there was a shooting just 4 blocks away from Fulop's fundraiser. [...]
FYI ---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Steven Fulop <fulops@jcnj.org> Date: Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 3:56 PM Subject: JCPD reports Arrest for Wayne Street Shooting To: Steven Fulop <FulopS.PALPO.PALDOM@jcnj.org> Cc: pandes!@jcnj.org Excuse the brief and mass email. We have received numerous calls and emails regarding the Wayne Street Shooting. It is very disconcerting. Pls. note that we have received a call from the JCPD that an arrest has been made today in connection with the Wayne Street Shooting. The East District and Captain Gallagher will be holding their monthly Captain's meeting on Tuesday, Sept. 22nd, at 7pm, at Middle School #4 on Bright Street. I encourage you all to attend. The Van Vorst Park Association (www.vvpa.org) will meet at the Playground on Wayne Street across Barrow Mansion at 6:30pm and walk together as a community to the Captain's meeting. Hopefully, the investigation will be closed at this point and the JCPD can share more information. Thanks again for your concern. If there is anything else, pls. let me know. Steve Steven M. Fulop Jersey City Councilman Ward "E" 280 Grove Street Jersey City, NJ 07302 - This email was brought to you by the Downtown Jersey City Watch ( downtownjcwatch@gmail.com ). "We watch out for each other." Always call suspicious activities or incidents of a "non-emergency" nature to the JCPD: (201) 547-5477 non emergency line Please contact the East District Command, Captain Gallagher with any information about suspicious events or crimes to: policeeast@jcnj.org Copy the DJCW with emails you send to the East District Command to this address: downtownjcwatch@gmail.com

Posted on: 2009/9/19 4:33
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/24 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
it's not that a councilman can't call attention to problems in the hopes of bringing change. it's been done. Councilman Fulop's p2p is a great example of that. However, even Councilman Fulop will probably tell you that he is only one of nine, and the other eight are from another slate of mind. Besides, as Yvonne pointed out, the council has a very small influence on local govt. policy. Their power is in the budget, and, since Mayor Healy still controls the council, there's very little Councilman Fulop can "get done."

However, even if (when?) Mayor Fulop were to take office, he'd very likely have a council that was stacked against him, and the political culture around here is to stymie first; ask questions later. Change is gonna come very, very (very) slowly. So, hunker down if you really wanna see it.

But I'm an optimist by nature. : )

Posted on: 2009/9/19 2:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
then why bother? if we have such low expectations, how can we expect any improvement ever? why even have a council at all?

i find it incredibly hard to believe that there is nothing that a councilperson can do to rally attention around areas that need improvement and fight for action among the powers-that-be. i don't think anyone is expecting fulop to single handedly oversee significant change. i would, however, like to see a committed and continued effort to improving life in the ward. i am a fulop fan, by the way, and i don't think my own expectations are so out of line.

if not, then, well, anyone can do that job. so who cares. how sad.

Posted on: 2009/9/19 1:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting. The bar you've set for Fulop is at a level that no one who has been mayor in recent years (and probably longer than that), run for mayor, or could run has cleared or could clear.

You seem to have unreal expectations - the only person who could effect even some of the changes you suggest is the mayor himself, if he cared enough to do it. A councilman doesn't control the police department, the board of ed., or the various city departments or agencies.

He needs a machine behind him? The only thing machines do is ensure the kind of change you are looking for never happens.

Quote:

thriftyT wrote:

My hand is down. There's no way he can do it.

He's young, though. If he's serious, he needs to be patient. He's got a base in downtown. Somehow he has to effect some positive changes in this area (decrease crime, clean the place up, fix the place up, improve schools, improve organization of schools, improve business climate, implement some rational growth strategies, etc.) while expanding his influence in other parts of Jersey City.

This is not a small task. Near impossible, really, without a machine behind you. Someone has to try, right?

Posted on: 2009/9/19 1:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

thriftyT wrote:
Quote:

blogcityblog wrote:
Raise your hand if you really think that Councilman Fulop has the organization, funding, and city-wide electoral base to win the mayor's race (if there is to be one before 2013). And why?

He's young, though. If he's serious, he needs to be patient. He's got a base in downtown. Somehow he has to effect some positive changes in this area (decrease crime, clean the place up, fix the place up, improve schools, improve organization of schools, improve business climate, implement some rational growth strategies, etc.) while expanding his influence in other parts of Jersey City.

This is not a small task. Near impossible, really, without a machine behind you. Someone has to try, right?

regarding effecting some positive change in his ward -- yes yes yes. that's exactly what i was trying to say a couple days ago. you just said it way better.

would love to see him make it happen!!!

Posted on: 2009/9/19 0:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

There are many things that go on behind the scenes and to make Fulop the "great white Republican hope"

I see, that's why he brought Hillary Clinton to Jersey City.

And that's why, after Obama won the nomination, he agreed to be a guest and speaker at my Obama fund raiser.

Posted on: 2009/9/19 0:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/5 14:56
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

blogcityblog wrote:
Raise your hand if you really think that Councilman Fulop has the organization, funding, and city-wide electoral base to win the mayor's race (if there is to be one before 2013). And why?

Posted on: 2009/9/19 0:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

This is an actual (as opposed to rhetorical) question.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 23:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/5 14:56
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AmyJCNJ wrote:
Why is party affiliation so important to people anyway? People should vote with whoever is the most clean and effective on a local level, regardless of affiliation.

indeed. I'm a firm believer in 'competition' being the magic fertilizer which breeds excellence.

The two party system (and lack of powerful competitors) is ultimately the source of mediocrity in our governments.

A strong independent voice representing new ideas is not only OK, it is absolutely necessary.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 23:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/17 18:39
Group:
Registered Users
Last time I checked he was not taking bribes. Hummm. I guess he is not fit to serve as Mayor because all the bribe taking. So if you are honest that works against you. Interesting.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 22:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sonjess wrote:
You can see it coming....to make Fulop the "great white Republican hope"

I'm not sure if he is a Republican nor do I care about his political affliation. At this time of ethical crisis in our government I think an honest man is of greater importance.

I'm not sure why his "whiteness" is relevant in any way to you. To paraphase the great Martin Luther King...."a man should be judged not by the color of his skin but by the content of his character."

Posted on: 2009/9/18 21:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/22 21:37
From Carolina's Lavanderia
Group:
Registered Users
Why is party affiliation so important to people anyway? People should vote with whoever is the most clean and effective on a local level, regardless of affiliation.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 21:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
I think Mr. Fulop was politically prudent not to run against Mr. Healy....at the time Healy's machine was too large and well funded....Instead he stayed in a position of some power where he could affect some change....I didn't get the feeling that Mr. Catrillo was a token candidate at all, but thought he was the Healy Team's best long shot candidate to beat Fulop. IMHO.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 21:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/20 19:23
Group:
Banned
WHERE IS FULOP'S BIRTH CERTIFICATE????

Posted on: 2009/9/18 21:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/20 19:23
Group:
Banned
Quote:

sonjess wrote:
If the quality of representation by Fulop is based on the how he represents Ward E, then we have trouble in our mist. There are massive problems that plaque Ward E and I haven't heard/or seen Fulop address most of them. The only time an email is sent its an invitation to a rally or fundraiser- to oust the Mayor or council person
You on crack or somethin, son? Also I wrote Fulop a letter once about a concern I had and the guy called me up personally to discuss it with me. Also he posts here fairly often about things he's trying to do in the council. So you're full of shit imo.

Quote:
There are many things that go on behind the scenes and to make Fulop the "great white Republican hope"
Since when is this a republican thing?

Quote:
We've been fooled for too long - let's not become blind followers before we truly know who is doing the leading.
aaaand now you just sound like a crazy conspiracy theorist. "WAKE UP SHEEPLE" "FLOURIDE IN THE WATER" "WHO IS REALLY IN CONTROL OF OUR GOVERNMENT"

Posted on: 2009/9/18 21:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well it?s a democracy and everyone is entitled to their opinion. We can agree to disagree. I only can only talk about my specific experiences with him and I have seen results on my block. Everything I have complained about directly to him has been addressed. Please tell me some specific examples.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 20:54

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/18 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
You can see it coming -Fulop wants to be Mayor. What a surprise! If the quality of representation by Fulop is based on the how he represents Ward E, then we have trouble in our mist. There are massive problems that plaque Ward E and I haven't heard/or seen Fulop address most of them. The only time an email is sent its an invitation to a rally or fundraiser- to oust the Mayor or council person; why? for him to take their place.

He had an opportunity to run for Mayor in the last elections and decided to give it up -why? because they offered/and he accepted not to run for Mayor in return a weak candidate would run against him- Guy Catrillo, who was never suppose to win and Fulop could keep Ward E. But now he wants everybody to rally for him for the Mayor's spot which he didn't pursue when he had the chance. Not that I would vote for him anyway! There are many things that go on behind the scenes and to make Fulop the "great white Republican hope" at a time when JC needs a candidate that really want to make a difference for its residents and tax payers is a mistake. We've been fooled for too long - let's not become blind followers before we truly know who is doing the leading.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 20:09

Re: May I further fan the Fulop flame?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Under the Faulker Act, which our city is governed, only the mayor can control the city operations (police, etc.), the job of the council is basically the budget. If you want the council to be part of running of city, then we must return to the commission form of government.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 21:39

Re: May I further fan the Fulop flame?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LifeOfRiley wrote:
Speaking of fanning the flames...How about you stop with the spamming of JC List with your blog? It's amateurish, poor form and the frequency is a bit long in the tooth. If you really have something interesting to write, I might be inclined to visit your blog after reading your comments here.

+1

Go Fulop!

Posted on: 2009/9/16 21:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Go Fulop!

Posted on: 2009/9/16 20:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
ME: Several times, for conditions around that park and downtown in general. My favorite time was when the dispatcher scolded at me for calling when I saw a gang of kids repeatedly pushing a nerdy kid INTO ONCOMING TRAFFIC on Montgomery.

Yeah I hate those people. It takes a lot of persistence to get them to respond. They prioritize the calls based on the number of times they get a complaint, so you have to get a bunch of other friends to call too. I will keep an eye out on the happenings on Wayne and if you need someone to make additional calls about a problem post it here. There are a lot of people who care in this city but it's easy to get discouraged. The VVPA meetings are a wonderful resource of information.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 20:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
AMY: About the cans... have you tried contacting the incinerator authority yourself to complain about the lack of garbage cans?

ME: No, because my neighborhood has cans and i have to pick my battles.

AMY: Have you called the cops to complain about crack dealing in the park?

ME: Several times, for conditions around that park and downtown in general. My favorite time was when the dispatcher scolded at me for calling when I saw a gang of kids repeatedly pushing a nerdy kid INTO ONCOMING TRAFFIC on Montgomery.

AMY:When you see something call the cops and if you don't see results then contact Dina O'Reilly and ask her how we can get the problem solved, who to talk to, what to do, etc.

ME: Nope because up until like 3 hours ago I trusted the system. Yah, i know. But this news of Fulop having his eye on a bigger prize suddenly struck me as something to react to. I should have seen it coming, I guess I did, but the reality of it just hit me. Here's hoping he doesn't abandon the job he has now while he still has it.

AMY: Healy isn't exactly a fan of Steve, so I wouldn't be surprised if he deliberately undermines any progress in Ward E just make Steve look bad and screw us over. Just sayin?

ME: In the words of my girl Tyra, "Is that what you think? You said it"!

Posted on: 2009/9/16 20:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I just think change from the top down is much easier than Sisyphus pushing a boulder uphill. Anyhow sorry if my statements earlier came off as combatative jennymayla, I think we agree on a lot. This city is an administrative nightmare and I think Steve has proven himself capable of navigating the maze. He only has so many hours a day to chase down the different departments to resolve issues.
About the cans... have you tried contacting the incinerator authority yourself to complain about the lack of garbage cans? Have you called the cops to complain about crack dealing in the park? When you see something call the cops and if you don't see results then contact Dina O'Reilly and ask her how we can get the problem solved, who to talk to, what to do, etc.
Healy isn't exactly a fan of Steve, so I wouldn't be surprised if he deliberately undermines any progress in Ward E just make Steve look bad and screw us over. Just sayin?

Posted on: 2009/9/16 20:12

May I further fan the Fulop flame?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/30 3:40
Group:
Banned
Speaking of fanning the flames...How about you stop with the spamming of JC List with your blog? It's amateurish, poor form and the frequency is a bit long in the tooth. If you really have something interesting to write, I might be inclined to visit your blog after reading your comments here.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 18:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
May I further fan the Fulop flame?

http://blogcityblog.com/

Posted on: 2009/9/16 17:41