Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
133 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Breaking and Entering - Hamilton Park - Be Aware
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah - the next step is to get the added metal guards on the door that eliminate the ability to stick anything between the door and the jam.

Yes - 6th between grove and erie is Hamilton Park - we are governed by the city historic preservation office (for construction of anything) and I have a zone 6 parking pass.

Posted on: 2009/7/7 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
The marks from the screw driver are in the jam - it was probably a combination of force on the mechanism (the deadlock) and the flipper that releases the door when it gets buzzed.

It's not what I would a call high-security and if I threw a little effort at it I am sure I could get through it too.

We are looking into improving our building access - possibly one of this magnetic release door locks.

As for the apartment door... the cop that arrived demonstrated shimming the door for us - he literally just walked through the 'locked' door.

Sorry for not being specific enough, I meant the apartment door that was "credit carded". Without the type of lock I describe, it's as easy as popping the stop molding and slipping in the card.

The front doors of both my buildings have the basic buzz strikes, but since they're both glass panel doors, it never seemed worth it to upgrade, since if someone really wanted in they'd be in.

Posted on: 2009/7/7 18:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/24 13:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
The marks from the screw driver are in the jam.

Something like this? Resized Image

Thankfully the deadbolt was engaged and I was home (in the middle of the day) for this failed break-in attempt. I looked out my window in time to see this burglar give up and walk away. This happened about 4 years ago but the screwdriver marks are still there to remind us to lock the deadbolt each and every time.

I'm on Sixth and Monmouth.

Posted on: 2009/7/7 18:04

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/17 15:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

yagger wrote:
6th and grove is not hamilton park.

Who cares!

Posted on: 2009/7/7 17:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/7 14:58
Group:
Registered Users
6th and grove is not hamilton park.

Posted on: 2009/7/7 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The marks from the screw driver are in the jam - it was probably a combination of force on the mechanism (the deadlock) and the flipper that releases the door when it gets buzzed.

It's not what I would a call high-security and if I threw a little effort at it I am sure I could get through it too.

We are looking into improving our building access - possibly one of this magnetic release door locks.

As for the apartment door... the cop that arrived demonstrated shimming the door for us - he literally just walked through the 'locked' door.

Posted on: 2009/7/7 17:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
Someone used a screwdriver to make their way through the building door and then used a credit card to shim into my neighbors apartment (they did not throw their deadbolt - lesson learned).

You sure about that detail? Most exterior strike locks today have a "jimmy proof" device called a "deadlocking latch", it looks like a half cylinder on the flat side of the moving part, the latch bolt. When the door is closed it should be depressed against the door frame strike plate, and when it's depressed the lock can't be jimmied. If your exterior latch bolt lock lacks that piece, replace it. Even if you use a deadbolt, it makes it harder to force your door.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/7/7 16:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

dmark526 wrote:
Vigilante,

Let's not assume that school kids are the actors in this incident. I don't know what different school districts are sent to McNair for summer classes, but what I can say is that they aren't students of McNair, otherwise they wouldn't be in summer school.

Also, if you have crime data to support your claim of past incidents of burglaries by McNair students, Please post them. Otherwise don't blame innocent students from one of the top rated schools in the country unless you can back up your claim.

McNair hosts summer school classes for kids from all over the city and there have been many incidents in the past involving these kids. If you'd monitor the downtown neighborhood watch you would see several fights, shoplifting and attempted and successful burglaries by these kids over the past few years. NO they are not regular McNair students and thus why it is so upsetting. Many people don't realize that this is a different crowd and that they should be diligent when these "kids" are around.

Posted on: 2009/7/7 15:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Seriously - I found it hard to believe as well.... but McNair is a top high school in the country (#30) and has been since 2005. Keep in mind this is not based on going student success.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/39380

"Public schools are ranked according to a ratio devised by Jay Mathews: the number of Advanced Placement, Intl. Baccalaureate and/or Cambridge tests taken by all students at a school in 2007 divided by the number of graduating seniors."

It basically means they mandate that ever student take AP classes and exams. Next question is - how many students pass the exams and the more telling stat is student success in college resulting in collegiate graduation.

Posted on: 2009/7/7 14:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/18 23:27
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dmark526 wrote:
don't blame innocent students from one of the top rated schools in the country unless you can back up your claim.

Seriously? Top rated schools in the country? Maybe in the county I could buy, but country? Nah....

Posted on: 2009/7/7 13:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
McNair kids do fail, but in much smaller numbers than other JC high schools.

That being said, I did not read the remark above to mean that the "alleged poipetrators" were regular McNair students, but are students from other schools who attend summer school in the McNair Academic.

Posted on: 2009/7/7 13:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/17 15:41
Group:
Registered Users
Vigilante,

Let's not assume that school kids are the actors in this incident. I don't know what different school districts are sent to McNair for summer classes, but what I can say is that they aren't students of McNair, otherwise they wouldn't be in summer school.

Also, if you have crime data to support your claim of past incidents of burglaries by McNair students, Please post them. Otherwise don't blame innocent students from one of the top rated schools in the country unless you can back up your claim.

Posted on: 2009/7/7 7:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Close, but not in the back yard - 6th and Grove

Posted on: 2009/7/7 3:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Thanks for the info. I believe that McNair Academy has those troublesome summer school kids back now. I know in the past there were several incidents involving these kids including burglaries. I will keep my eyes open. BTW is your building near McNair?

Posted on: 2009/7/7 3:18

Breaking and Entering - Hamilton Park - Be Aware
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I came home to some unfortunate events this afternoon and want to make everyone else in the hood aware...

Someone used a screwdriver to make their way through the building door and then used a credit card to shim into my neighbors apartment (they did not throw their deadbolt - lesson learned).

The burglar(s) made off with a couple laptops, ipods, meds, and some jewelery (fair monetary value)...

JCPD did a great job - showed up relatively fast and finger printed everything... I guess we will see what happens.

Just keep your eyes open for suspicious activity and make every effort to keep your places locked up tight.

Posted on: 2009/7/7 2:59

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017